Another Reverb question (squishy at top revisted)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Another Reverb question (squishy at top revisted)

I know there's a thread kicking around but it's a little old...

So my more or less new Reverb Stealth post has now become squishy in the first 5-10mm from the top. Based on what I've read, I need to rebuild it with the basic kit because some o-ring is buggered.

I know how it could have happened: The seat was down and I had to move my bike off the trail quick so I lifted the bike up from the seat by mistake. Would that single action be enough to cause me to have to rebuild the whole thing???
    Last edited by Christopher Robin; 11-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    Kona Operator CR and Santa Cruz Megatower

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just double checked that I do have the proper 250psi. I'm wondering if this is normal that I can press the seat down 5 or so mm.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not normal. How long have you had it. They have an excellent warrantee.. I have had one replaced for this very reason. The one I didn't replace for this ended up blowing oil out the bottom then was replaced under warrantee..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Damn... today was my second ride with it. The last thing I need to not have the bike going. The Rockshox distribution center is in the same city as me. I could go to an LBS they have listed and have it sent out and looked. Turn around should be 'decent'.

mtbr member
    In the past I have had my bike shop do the warentee call and I keep using it till the new one comes in or it completely fails.. With the sag it will usually stay that way for a while..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ok thanks for the reply...

Any idea what causes this sag?

mtbr member
    No. I'm not sure. I'm just thankful for the warrantee.. I've been through 5 in the last year.. Never any issue with replacement though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Spoke to my shop today about it... What's nice is they're a suspension shop as well so do the rebuilds in house, with a 2 day turn around. The shop mechanic said I got air on the oil side. So air passed by the IFP somehow. $150 rebuild though. Shit!

mtbr member
    You didn't try the warranty ?? It should have a 1 year Warranty

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bought it from someone else... new. While I got a wicked deal, the rebuild will put me back close to full retail.

mtbr member
    Hopefully it will be a one time deal.. Good luck..

mtbr member
    For a lot less than 150.00 you can buy a service kit and tools to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    And that's what I've been looking at. Just need a vise and clamp guards for it too.

Right now I only have about 5mm of that sag. It's not the end of the world just yet.

Last edited by Christopher Robin; 12-15-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I recently got a little Reverb tutorial from a Sram dude... He said lifting the bike by the seat when in the dropped position pulls a vacuum and causes air to get into the oil or vice versa.

It shouldn't do it first time every time, but he said it is definitely one of the causes of your issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yup. Air being forced by the IFP and putting an air pocket on the oil side. Otherwise it's a pretty good post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I recently got a little Reverb tutorial from a Sram dude... He said lifting the bike by the seat when in the dropped position pulls a vacuum and causes air to get into the oil or vice versa.

It shouldn't do it first time every time, but he said it is definitely one of the causes of your issue.
    Well. Then the seatpost wont last very long. I have picked it up from the seatpost when lowered. It cant really be avoided.

I had a squishy mushy feeling seatpost, and I got a new seatpost from warranty.

The new seatpost is glitching a bit in two places, it will not extend properly.
    Should I check the air pressure?

Manual states:
    "DO NOT attempt to adjust air pressure using the air valve located at the bottom of the seatpost. Any change in the factory air pressure setting will render the seatpost inoperable, requiring full service"

I <3 dirt
    Double check the torque spec on your seat post clamp, you can damage a reverb by over tightening.

Otherwise double check its at 250psi with it all the way up.

Also you can do a cheater bleed on reverbs but it doesn't always work. If you pull the poppet it'll release air from the oil system (cover with a rag first or you'll be messy). On the internals it's best to fill the poppet area with fluid to help remove bubbles. Let it sit for a long time while tapping the post every once in a while. Once satisfied reset oil level height and 100% never cycle the post without the poppet in it. Reassemble and if you got the air out the bounce will be gone.

You can also just do an internal bleed without any parts as long as the main seal head is tight (the o ring will push out if loose and can't be reused).

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Ok I went riding for 1,5hours and the post seemed a little better.

I did check the seat clamp twice with two torque wrenches, 5nm clamping force.

I did install the post myself and bleed it. Will have to check it.

I did remove the air cap and check the pressure, but didnt adjust it. 230psi from the factory.