Ajusting Pad Contact on Elixir R brakes- Mtbr.com
    skin tight lycra

Ajusting Pad Contact on Elixir R brakes

I have a set of Avid Elixr R brakes on my Specialized Epic. The front pads rub against the rotor.

I tried aligning the caliper but there just isnt enough room between the pads for the rotor to spin through.

My old Juicy 7's had the pad contact dial, why don' these brakes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Elixir R's on Reign X - I find this happens almost every time my bike gets dirty - the pistons get wet and gunky and don't retract properly, and the disc will bind until I take the pads out and physically push the pistons back in, and even then they don't go all the way in. It's very annoying and even when they're running well, the gap between pad and disc is extremely fine.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseKipp
    I have a set of Avid Elixr R brakes on my Specialized Epic. The front pads rub against the rotor.

I tried aligning the caliper but there just isnt enough room between the pads for the rotor to spin through.

My old Juicy 7's had the pad contact dial, why don' these brakes!
    You have to buy the Elixir CR to get the pad contact adjustment.
    The Elixir R would be the same as the old Juicy 5 not the Juicy 7.

Try cracking open the bleed screw on the caliper and prying the brake pads apart resetting the pistons, then tighten down the bleed screw again.
    Sometimes with some bleeds there is too much brake fluid in the system and the pads won't retract properly.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Members who have read this thread: 0