24 tooth options for XX Crankset- Mtbr.com
    H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

24 tooth options for XX Crankset

Well I've been spoiled with my Shimano 22x34 gearing. I knew that I would "lose" my granny gear option with the Sram XX 26x36 (looking at the math).
    And now that I've been able to get some time on my new bike I know that I neeed to look at other options (since most of my rides start with a 1.5- 2.5 hour climb). I also know I may loose some of the front shifting performance but I prefer to spin a lower gear. Thanks for the help.

No longer 26
    Do you have the XX crank already?

If not, you should still be able to use a 22/34 or 24/36 set up.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Yup:

Yup, I already have a XX drivetrain with the 26/39 crankset. Love the shifting. But not the gearing so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I believe that they are coming out with a 24/36 chainring combo, at least at the XO level which uses the same bolt pattern.
    X0 will have more available gearing options, though, with both the same 26/39T and 28/42T sizes as XX but also a three-ring setup, a smaller 24/36T range specifically aimed at 29ers, and even possibly a dedicated single-speed spider further down the road.
    Source

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006
    D.O.- Copy that. I'll keep an eye out for the new XO group. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Who makes a good chainring option for the XX crank?I was also thinking of switching to a 22/36 for endurance races but i'm not sure who makes aftermarket chainrings for the XX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    24-36 sounds pretty good, with a 10 speed cassette that goes to 36, let's you go to 1:1 in the big ring,and 36:11 is plenty top end, for me i think the 24 would be mostly for later/further on into rides. Especially for next year i'm planning on a lighter more efficient bike probabely a giant trance, i wonder if they're gonna be equiped like that. I kind of like the shimano quick shifting triple also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    has anyone confirmed compatability of a bolt on 24T chainring? Im running XX on a 29er and I could REALLY use more low end...

breathing helium
    I've been dealing with this issue with my 29er too. I don't have the bike together yet, but one of the reasons I am planning on XX is because of the low q factor (156mm). Shimano XTR 980 only goes to 28t on the double version in the lower q crank (XC). Rotor 3D is the other option for me and I think the q is ~164mm. You can get a 24t for the Rotor crank in the 74mm chainring spacing.

Members who have read this thread: 0