1x10 Crank Options - Road Compact Crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

1x10 Crank Options - Road Compact Crank

Was thinking I might possibly want to use a SRAM Force BB30 crank in a 1x10 setup. If I get the compact I could have 34 up front with the 11-36 in the rear. What do I have to think about when putting a road bb30 crank on a mtn bike??

Any other recommended 1x10 cranks out there? Since I have the option I'd sort of like to try the BB30.

Former Bike Wrench
    You might have clearance issues as mtb's have wider spread chainstays than road bikes. There might also be a chainline issue as roadbike chainlines are around 43.5mm to 45mm while mtb chainlines are 47.5mm to 50mm (both measured the Shimano way).

LA CHÈVRE
    mtnbiker72 is right. With the crank's spindle being fixed to one arm, you can't play with the q-factor and most road cranksets are too narrow for the wider chainstay of a mountain bike.

I have set my bike 1x10 with a Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset, it's a road/mtb crankset, you just change the spindle and spider to make it whatever you want plus it's lighter than almost any other cranksets out there, road or mountain. The road spindles are 104mm, mountain ones are 131/132mm but they used to have a lot of different spindle widths over the years so you can customize the fit, you just need to find the parts. They also have different spiders for different chainring BCD and different lateral offsets so plenty of options and you can have the chainring perfectly aligned with the center of the cassette. It's just not a cheap option...

Here's mine.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0