180mm, 2 ring cranksets???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

180mm, 2 ring cranksets???

When is SRAM going to start producing a 180mm, 2 ring crankset? XX only came out in 170 and 175 and I was hoping that SRAM would announce 180mm crank arms at the X0 or X9 level but no go. I have been pleased with the previous SRAM/Truvativ cranks I have owned and have been really impressed with shifting on XX's 2 ring setup. Being 6'4" it just doesn't make sense to go with 175mm crankarms.

Has there been anything in the rumor mill about SRAM starting to produce 180mm cranks?

Anyone have suggestions on who I should look at for 2 ring 180mm cranks? I can always use a traditional 3 ring crankset with 2 rings but the chainline isn't nearly as good as a true 2 ring setup and I don't have the options for dropping the small ring down in size. The White Industries Eno isn't really an option (as far as I know) because the frame I am using is BB30.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Middleburn? That would still require a bb30-to-"oldskool"adapther though...

Same problem here, by the way. A genuine 180mm 2x10 24-36 would be nice for a future project...
    Sent from my HAL 9000

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I bugged the SRAM guys about this at Sea Otter. They just don't seem to think that there is a need for one. I told them that I swapped to XX 2X10 but won't use their cranks because I only run 180's on all of my bikes.
    These are the responses that I got - have a good laugh at the 2nd one:
    1/ "'There are no plans to make 180mm cranks on any of our mtb lines"
    2/ "You can't make 180mm cranks with carbon so we're not going to make them".

I can't believe the 2nd guy thought I was stupid enough to take that as a truthful answer. My favorite question to ask sales and marketing guys is "do you really believe that?". The answer usually makes me walk away and not buy anything else from them.
    The Shimano guys were very truthful with me about their 3X10 and future 2X10 offerings. Needless to say I already have some 10sp XT stuff on order and will be ditching my X.0 stuff (and I'll also ditch my XX stuff when the new XTR comes out).
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

Members who have read this thread: 0