• 08-24-2012
    neilether
    15mm Maxle stuck in my Revelation Fork
    When i went to pull the front wheel off recently (thanks to tubeless tires, I have not had to remove my front wheel for many months) the Maxle would not slide out of the fork leg. I undid the cam lever, and unthreaded the whole thing, but it just splayed the fork legs apart until all the threads were out of the other fork leg. The axle itself would not budge.

    I have done some searching online and found that I am not the only one with this problem. It is likely one of the hub bearings has seize (hard) on the axle itself. Definitely will use more grease in the future.

    So, does anybody here have experience knocking one of these loose? I imagine I can just get a dowel and insert it into the end of the maxle opposite the cam lever. Then, start tapping, progressively less gently, with a mallet until it knocks loose?? I will find something soft and firm to support the fork leg while I am doing this. I tried some WD40 and let it sit in there, but that in and of itself didn't solve the problem. Maybe something stronger?
  • 08-24-2012
    Washer Uk
    What hub do you have? My bearings aren't in direct contract with the maxle. Could you tie a belt around the bottom of the fork legs to stop them splaying? Another thought is you would be able to apply heat inside the maxle where it's stuck, a few heat cycles may free it up


    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
  • 08-30-2012
    neilether
    So I sprayed a bunch of liquid wrench inside it and let it sit overnight. Then I just took a 3/8" dowel, supported the fork leg and started hitting. It took a pretty good smack to get it to come out. There appeared to be a little bit of corrosion on the axle. I cleaned it with a little scotch brite, greased it up and she's as good as new.
  • 08-30-2012
    Washer Uk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    So I sprayed a bunch of liquid wrench inside it and let it sit overnight. Then I just took a 3/8" dowel, supported the fork leg and started hitting. It took a pretty good smack to get it to come out. There appeared to be a little bit of corrosion on the axle. I cleaned it with a little scotch brite, greased it up and she's as good as new.

    Good news

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
  • 01-04-2014
    cherrybomber
    old thread same problem. crap... i was frustrated enough to try lever it out with a screwdriver, thereby scratching my fork finish. will calm down. ride it tomorrow and try some more wd-40.

    what a pain!
  • 01-04-2014
    Steamer19
    Just talked to a friend last night who had the same problem. He used a similar technique to what the OP did and managed to free the axle. The scotchbrite sounds like a good idea so I'll be sure to pass that on to him.