10 sp Shifting: XX Vs XO??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

10 sp Shifting: XX Vs XO??

For those that have had the opportunity to try both is there any real difference. I have heard (but not confirmed) that the XX feels "lighter" in action and a bit more crisper in its shifts.

Opinions welcome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've got both. I'd agree that the XX feels lighter, but I think the XO shifts feel more "crisp"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kstine71 View Post
    I've got both. I'd agree that the XX feels lighter, but I think the XO shifts feel more "crisp"
    FINALLY a reply--Thanks! So if you had only one to pick, which one?

I'm Slow
    I am wondering the same question:
    This guy did say go XX: DVSLR - 24p shooter.: SRAM XX vs. XO Shifter (updated 4/8/2011)
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrokenchain View Post
    FINALLY a reply--Thanks! So if you had only one to pick, which one?
    sorry for the delay..

its really a toss up for me. I prefer the XO feel when shifting. If I were more worried about money than weight, I'd go XO. More worried about weight, I'd go XX. Best of both worlds, I'd get XX everything with the more durable XO chainrings, cassette and chain (or just rings and cassette). The replacement cost on those 3 parts after 1-2 years would equal the full cost of an XO system. And the XX drivetrain moving parts do wear fairly fast in comparison to the previous XO systems I've run.

mtbr member
    Although not answering the OP's question, I can say from experience just this week that there is a night and day difference between the current X9 and XX 2x10 shifters.

I was accustomed to XO (3x9) shifters on my previous bike and the new XX feel very similar to them. The X9 shifters were soft, vague, and had a dead spot in the lever until you took up the slack for the shifts.

Again, I cannot tell much difference from my previous XO and my new XX.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the XX and XO chain rings?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kstine71 View Post
    sorry for the delay..

its really a toss up for me. I prefer the XO feel when shifting. If I were more worried about money than weight, I'd go XO. More worried about weight, I'd go XX. Best of both worlds, I'd get XX everything with the more durable XO chainrings, cassette and chain (or just rings and cassette). The replacement cost on those 3 parts after 1-2 years would equal the full cost of an XO system. And the XX drivetrain moving parts do wear fairly fast in comparison to the previous XO systems I've run.
    This is a great point. If you want the best of both worlds and to save some hard earned cash I'd go with XX shifters and rear derailleur, X0 crank, front derailleur, chain and cassette. Or you can grab a Shimano XT cassette for like $80 vs. the comparative X0 cassette sold for $200(cheapest I found on fleabay)

I actually run a full X0 drivetrain with the exception of the cassette which is an XT. No issues here. However, if I had the money or the desire for XX I'd probably run the mix I listed above unless of course the parts are going on a bike used strictly for racing or smooth cadence, long mileage XC riding or if you are sponsored and can afford XX replacement parts.
    For the everyday trail rider putting in a good amount of miles I think X0 or a mix of the two will suit that rider's needs better.

mtbr member
    Ive ran both, to me the XX is very very light under upshifts at first I found myself over shifting until I got used to it. The downshifts are as solid as ever. XO feels a lot heavier, thinking back to the last 24hr I did I remember having sore thumbs after... maybe the lighter required force for XX will help?
    Custom "Carbon fetish" Ibis Mojo SL - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555199 - 10.2Kg and dropping