Worthwhile frame swap?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Worthwhile frame swap?

I currently have a 2009 Rockhopper Comp, while I am happy with the bike for the most part. There are definitely times I wish I had a FS bike. I cannot currently afford to buy an additional bike, certainly not one worth while, and if I bought another bike, to be honest I know that one would end up not being ridden.

Having said that, is it worthwhile looking for a used FS frame set, and transferring the parts from my Rockhopper over to that? I realize that certain things like the Dart 3 would not exactly be ideal to transfer over, but if I picked up a decent enough frameset, then upgrading as time goes by would not be that much of an issue. At this point I am just throwing around an idea, if I were to do this I would want to be able to pick up a good FS frame set to begin with.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by naiku; 04-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Enthusiast
    Sure. Why not? FWIW, Jenson has some Jamis Dakar full-suspension frame sets on sale for $459 each, I believe, that are designed around 100mm forks.

Put the Rockhopper frame on eBay to defray costs.

I once went the other way by moving parts from a friend's horribly heavy, low-end, unbranded full-suspension bike to a Rockhopper frame.

If you can't do the work yourself though, then I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

Also, some parts, like front derailleurs, are commonly different between frames.

mtbr member
    My buddy just did the same thing. He had an 03 Hardrock Pro disc, and bought a new full suspension frame then swapped over everything to the new frame. His Fork was a 100mm Judy TT and his new frame had 100mm of travel so it was a decent match. When he sold his Hardrock frame he used that money to upgrade to a new 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for both the replies, I am confident that I can do most, if not all of the work myself in switching the components over. Not to mention I will enjoy the experience of switching them over.

I think I will start watching the prices of FS frame sets and checking classifieds etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0