To World Cup or not to World Cup, that is the Epic question..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

To World Cup or not to World Cup, that is the Epic question..

OK, I've got a 2012 EPIC that I really like, actually just put XTR on it (not the 11 speed stuff), but plan on getting a new EPIC this year.. I've read the World Cup (WC) geometry is more aggressive which I like the idea of, BUT, I'm scared to go single ring.. I live in the SE and it's anything form Mtns to flats. I mostly do endurance races like Fools Gold, 3 hour races etc..

Give me you thoughts.. If I go WC, I'll have to get a complete bike since you can only have a single ring, if I go regular, I can just take my XTR stuff off and move it to the new frame..

Thoughts..

mtbr member
    I'd go WC. I've had the 2012 Expert and went with a 2014 Marathon,it's been a bit of a dissappointment,the bike lost it's "Epic" feeling. Should have I gone with a WC instead I would probably still own the bike. The Epic MUST be an ass kicking speed craving machine,I felt my Marathon a bit too "Camberized". Sold it after 2 months.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    I went from a '12 to a '14 WC and couldn't be any happier. The handling is much improved. As for the 1 x 11, it's great for me (mid-Atlantic region). I have never needed more then what the gearing offers. You should test ride one if you can.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    SE Racing PK Ripper Loop Tail

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm getting rid of my 2013 XTR S-Works Epic and replacing it with an Expert level World Cup.

As it is my medium S-Works with a full ENVE/Chris King build weighed 10.96kg or over 24lb.

I plan to port the XTR brakes, carbon steerer fork, S-Works crank, and S-Works cockpit on the Expert WC. I'll also be running Roval Control SLs as I find that the ENVE XC rims are too narrow.

I'm betting that my 2015 Expert WC will be lighter than my current S-Works!

This of course is not why I'm making the move. My HT is 1 x 11 and after getting used to it, I can tell you that I'll never go back to a front derailleur again (for MTB).

I love the sharper handling of a HT and I'm hoping that the geometry of the WC will replicate exactly that but with better traction and descending.

I'll create a thread with pics and weights when I get it all built up.

Cheers, J

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought my Epic for endurance rides so I went with the reg version. I wanted more gears and a little more comfort. I have no complaints...the bike is bada$$. the SWAT stuff is great but that could be added to the WC. I may not need the extra gears but if I got the WC I would think about it on every very steep climb!
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks.. I'm like donn12, but my issue is a lot the the trails on these races are tight and twisty.. I've had several occasions where I've had to really scrub off the speed to make a turn that I think a tighter bike would make.. UGH!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Get the non WC. If you want to try the 1x option, just get a narrow wide chain ring and take off your FD and shifter. Take the cash you saved and put it towards more races. You can 1x your current bike and see if you like it. Have you ever ridden a 1x setup? I wouldn't buy anything I wouldn't want to ride all day. I like endurance events and having a 2x setup is nice. If I were ever to run a 1x setup, I'd run a 32 or 34 chainring. If your "scrubbing off speed" I'd also try out some new tires.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    You can always put a smaller fron chain ring on the front if you find the need. Compare the gear ratios between the 2 x 10 and 1 x 11. There is not much difference.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    if i could afford i probably sell my 2013 epic expert and buy a WC version looks so darn good

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Really don't care if it was 2x10 or 1x11.. Mostly looking for geometry difference.. I just know if I go WC, it's gotta be 1x11.. Just wanted some feed back from some endurance guys..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I read a review on the 2014 epic that suggested the rider (maybe a magazine editor or reviewer?) use a reg epic in the Leadville 100. If I recall this was based on the shock tuning and geometry. I was worried the epic wc would be too hardcore for me. Truthfully with my "skill" on the trails I probably would not be able to tell the difference!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosovich View Post
    Really don't care if it was 2x10 or 1x11.. Mostly looking for geometry difference.. I just know if I go WC, it's gotta be 1x11.. Just wanted some feed back from some endurance guys..
    I've done several 50+ mile races on my WC this year without a single complaint.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    World Cup. By a mile.

Its shorter chain stays make a big difference to me, and the bike is agile, fast and full speed ahead.

The suspension is supple enough for me, and I don't ride a hard tail because it gets too uncomfortable for me on rough, fast fire roads. I would not want to have it any plusher, and the brain is working fine. I would not go back to a front derailleur, either.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    WC, no question. I've written more details about my experience with the WC here: Specialized Epic World Cup Review - Pursue the Podium

But it sounds like you're asking more about XX1. I've raced down by you and climbed those mountains. If you're nervous about a 32/42 not being enough, get a 30. If you think that won't be enough, get it anyway and suffer. It'll make you stronger!

I ran a 34 this year at cohutta and found it to be fine. I've ridden plenty of super steep rocky climbs as well, and if you need more gears, you're probably standing anyway.

The real question is how much fast pack riding you'll be doing with the bike. For instance for races like southern cross or three peaks, you might find the jumps between gears aren't so great. I would never want 1x on a road bike, but I guess I'm a cadence snob. Given that though, I race 1x in ultra cross races and love it. It really is a feeling is believing thing. Just try it and worst case scenario, you find it's not your preference and sell the bike next year. I've got good money that says you'll love it though. I've never heard of someone going back to 2x...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    +1 Sage advice.

I run XX1 on my HT (Cannondale F29 Team) and there's just something so tidy about a mountain bike w'out a front derailleur. I know it's only aesthetics, but for me it's a factor.

Mechanically, there's so much less that can go wrong. I've had 2 races ruined thanks to FD malfunctions.

From a gear ratio perspective I think you just need to consider whether anyone needs more than 30/42. If one struggles to clear a climb with that ratio, seriously you're walking faster anyway.

Last but not least not having a front shifter to worry about simplifies riding out on the trail, making it purer and more enjoyable.

From a geometry perspective, I've always loved the regular Epic but have wished for slightly sharper responses.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    WC, no question. I've written more details about my experience with the WC here: Specialized Epic World Cup Review - Pursue the Podium

But it sounds like you're asking more about XX1. I've raced down by you and climbed those mountains. If you're nervous about a 32/42 not being enough, get a 30. If you think that won't be enough, get it anyway and suffer. It'll make you stronger!

I ran a 34 this year at cohutta and found it to be fine. I've ridden plenty of super steep rocky climbs as well, and if you need more gears, you're probably standing anyway.

The real question is how much fast pack riding you'll be doing with the bike. For instance for races like southern cross or three peaks, you might find the jumps between gears aren't so great. I would never want 1x on a road bike, but I guess I'm a cadence snob. Given that though, I race 1x in ultra cross races and love it. It really is a feeling is believing thing. Just try it and worst case scenario, you find it's not your preference and sell the bike next year. I've got good money that says you'll love it though. I've never heard of someone going back to 2x...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post

Looks like this guy wins pretty much every race he enters.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If only that were true!