Warning: Road content - Roubaix vs Diverge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Warning: Road content - Roubaix vs Diverge

Long story short, I'm in the market for a road bike. Have no idea how much I'll ride it (hard to choose road over mtb for me), but want the option occasionally as we have some amazing road riding where I live. I was also thinking it might be nice to have the option for the occasional gravel ride.

Dilema:
    Buy a closeout 2015 Roubaix Comp Disc (in my preferred price range)
    or
    Look at a 2016 Diverge (probably a little over what I wanted to spend, unless I get a lower end model). Probably a Comp DSW or Elite?

Didn't really want to go over 2k for a bike that will likely get ridden a lot less than my mtn bikes. But who knows, I used to enjoy road biking 20 years ago, maybe I'll get back into it.

FYI, I'm a clyde..... 240+ most of the time so it needs to hold up which also makes me lean towards a Diverge (thru axle, stronger wheelset?).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    diverge. roubaix doesnt offer as much versatility.

mtbr member
    i have a 2013 Roubaix and i love it. i bought it for the road and here lately i have been taken it on some gravel rides. i bought some 25/28 Roubaix tires for it and it rides way better on and off the road. im 230lbs and the stock wheels held up for a few years and i had some extra cash so a year ago i bought some American Classic Victory 30 wheels for it. today we went on a 35 mile road/ gravel ride with about half on each.

mtbr member
    What about the Dolce? Too much the other way, not a good enough road bike? I also saw something about the Seqoua for 2017 but that appears to be for bikepacking like a Salsa Fargo.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Diverge Elite DSW is the one you want, it's worth the extra few bucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    Diverge! I got one, its awesome. Gravel, road, ive done xc single track on it. Get a dsw, i got an a1 as it was $1600 cnd and i also didnt know how much i would use it and didnt want to spend much. Really just wanted something for the short time between fat and mtb season. Bike its self is great, the sora sucks. They updated it so im upgrading the shifters and derailleurs. I put some ice techs on it and clement xplor ush tires. Will be putting some cyclocross tires on and doing that this fall. Upgrading the mtb next year but i can see getting a dsw or carbon in the future
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i'm a 245-lb clyde and I love my 2015 Roubaix Comp Carbon Disc. That said, if I could do it all over again, despite loving the Roubaix, I'd go with the Diverge just so I could put higher-volume tires on it. Especially if you go aluminum, you will want a little bit more air volume and a little bit less tire pressure to smooth out the ride
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    What about the Dolce? Too much the other way, not a good enough road bike? I also saw something about the Seqoua for 2017 but that appears to be for bikepacking like a Salsa Fargo.
    Dolce is a womens model, not that it wouldnt work for the right sized male rider but he stated hes a 240 lb clydesdale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Diverge! I got one, its awesome. Gravel, road, ive done xc single track on it. Get a dsw, i got an a1 as it was $1600 cnd and i also didnt know how much i would use it and didnt want to spend much. Really just wanted something for the short time between fat and mtb season. Bike its self is great, the sora sucks. They updated it so im upgrading the shifters and derailleurs. I put some ice techs on it and clement xplor ush tires. Will be putting some cyclocross tires on and doing that this fall. Upgrading the mtb next year but i can see getting a dsw or carbon in the future
    ive got 25/28 Spech Roubaix tries on my 2013 Roubaix

Rent this space for $
    Running 28mm on my Roubaix Elite SL2. Never ridden a Diverge so I just can't comment on that rig but I bought my Roubaix to fill in between my MTB rides and the next thing I know I'm doing just under 100 miles a week on it! It's a very nice endurance platform and way more forgiving on the nasty roads I have in my wine country riding. I just upgraded to a full Ultegra 6800 Groupset and 6800 wheels. Man, it just got a whole lot better!

Rides all the bikes!
    I didn't imagine riding the Roubaix as a gravel bike. I demo'ed one on a 125 mile road ride. It was great for that, super comfortable (though I was riding a high spec model with Red, etc).