mtbr member
    Jun 2009

upgrade fork on '09 Enduro

Hi - i'm about 15 rides in on my '09 Enduro Comp, the one that came stock with the Fox 32 Float 150mm on it, and it's great, but i can't shake the notion of feeling a 36 on there.

if this has been discussed to death in other threads sorry, but if i go with a 36, what do you guys prefer - the Talas or Float?

im 6'2", about 180/185 lbs. I ride local trails, and love to go up to lift access mountains in the northeast.....thanks...

thanks for the opinions

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Take a look at the Lyrik Solo Air R, this is what comes factory now on the Enduro. Beautiful, bad fork...

Easy on weight and the wallet. ;-) and it's also a 160. Viola!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ha! yeah, that's on my buddies Remedy...you're right, i should think about that one - it's comparable to the Talas, with the travel adjust, right?

I don't know about easy on the wallet - they seem more expensive than the Talas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    Hi - i'm about 15 rides in on my '09 Enduro Comp, the one that came stock with the Fox 32 Float 150mm on it, and it's great, but i can't shake the notion of feeling a 36 on there.

if this has been discussed to death in other threads sorry, but if i go with a 36, what do you guys prefer - the Talas or Float?

im 6'2", about 180/185 lbs. I ride local trails, and love to go up to lift access mountains in the northeast.....thanks...

thanks for the opinions
    I run a 36 Talas on mine. Worth the coin. Id go with a Talas or float or a Lyrik. The float is going to be a tad bit more plush but it wont have the travel adjust. The travel adjust does come in handy sometimes. Plus it is stiff as hell. Goes where you point it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upgrade fork on '09 Enduro-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    that is a totally badass picture....yeah, i wonder if that travel adjust will come in handy for me - after all, again, given where I am (Boston), i ride less aggressive trails after work and such....but the travel boost for all mountain/left access is there obviously...

The stiffness angle is the key thing though...i think the 36, with the 20mm axle, etc, will really give me some more confidence...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah check out the Lyrik... the Solo R is not adjustable, but to be quite honest I've never once needed it. The 160 is so nice and responsive... riding less aggressive trails is perfect and when the full travel is needed, you have it without having to remember if you did adjust it or not?? ;-)

My recent thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=625901

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    that is a totally badass picture....yeah, i wonder if that travel adjust will come in handy for me - after all, again, given where I am (Boston), i ride less aggressive trails after work and such....but the travel boost for all mountain/left access is there obviously...

The stiffness angle is the key thing though...i think the 36, with the 20mm axle, etc, will really give me some more confidence...
    If you dont need the travel adjust go with a float or a Lyrik. Both are excellent forks. Ive ridden on both. Though I did like the float more. It feels very close to a coil fork. Its that good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i guess the reason for the Talas would be that it's alot "different" and more feature-laden than my 32 Float (cause of the adjust), thereby allowing me to justify another freaking 800.00 + spend ....then again, i've never ridden a 36 Float, so maybe(hopefully) it really would be that much better for me (fun, confidence inspiring etc), adjust or no adjust

mtbr member
    I have the talas on my carbon sl and I think it's a waste. The bike just doesn't climb right for me when I try the lower travel options. I'd much rather have something with high and low speed compression adjust but like you, I can't justify the 800+$ for a new fork for not that much change.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Travel adjust is just a gimmick. You don't need it. I have an E150 and never use the travel adjust and climb everything I did on my XC bike. Just ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride a Talas 36 on my Enduro and can't imagine climbing some of the steeps I do without dropping the fork. With the fork at 160 I wheelie and the front wanders like crazy. If I stand up and lean over the front I loose traction...so I simply drop the fork and climb like a goat!
    BTW, I got mine used for SUPER cheap and it was mint.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I do some very steep climbs and I adjust my riding position to be over the front end more. I'm also 6'. To me that is easier than jerking around with the silly travel adjust.

Members who have read this thread: 0