Tire freeze?

Printable View

• 12-12-2011
    hitechredneck
    Tire freeze?
    Does anyone know if specialized tires soft compound tires ( clutch, butcher sx) Freeze in colder temps like the maxxis and kenda tires do? thanks in advance.
  • 12-13-2011
    Corvette
    Yup, they do. The only one I've tried and got good results are the Continental Black Chili compounds. There are more mixtures, f.e. the Trail King/Rubber Queen have harder compound than say Kaiser or Baron, but they all offer quite good grip in freezing temperatures. Not to say the tire doesn't get harder/stiffer, it does, but much less than other soft compounds out there - thus offering useable grip.

What I've found is that it starts below 7 C (45 F) when the cooling kicks in and it really gets obvious once the temp drops below 0 C (32 F).

For the record, I've also tried Michelin soft compound (DH32), Maxxis 42a & 40a, Schwalbe Gooey Gloey & Vertstar, Kenda Stick-E and Specialized Clutch... My winter combo is now Continental. But if one doesn't need the soft mixture - the 60a from Maxxis or other harder compounds don't suffer from the freezing effect.
  • 12-13-2011
    hitechredneck
    Damn, well I guess I will just stock with a maxxis 60a compound and leave my butcher/ clutch off till the spring.

I tapped that