thoughts on my test ride of the 1012 stumpy 29r fsr comp- Mtbr.com
    mike

thoughts on my test ride of the 1012 stumpy 29r fsr comp

I blew my rear shock out on last weeks ride and it will be a couple of weeks before it is back from fox so my LBS let me take the 29er test bike for a ride today. I own a 2011 stumpy fsr comp. I was skeptical at first because I am very happy with my 26r but everyone I talk to who owns a 29r loves them. I must say the through axles front and back are very nice and the auto sag on the 2012 is the bomb!
    The bike peddled vey nice; I liked the 2X10 drive train. The stock tires handled better than I thought they would (the ground is frozen so it was like riding on pavment) so not sure how they would handle in normal conditions. I have weirwolfs on my bike. The bike climbed rather well not much differnt than my 26r. I was not any faster on the 29r. The bike seemed some what awkward on tight switch backs and the tech downhill parts of the trail. Where the 26r I am more comfortable letting her rip on the downs catching a little air and coming into the corners hot.clearing downed trees was a breeze. While both bikes have good points and bad. I enjoyed my ride today on the 29r it did not wow me enough to say that I need to get one for my bike collection. If I were ever to make the change to a 29r it would be the stumpy fsr. But for now the 26r fits my needs perfectly. My bike is a large and the test bike was a large as well. This is just my opinion. No matter what the wheel size; you can't go wrong with specialized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you ever get the chance to demo a camber 29er, go for it. i think he camber handles a lot better than the stumpy and feels like my enduro in the air.

Members who have read this thread: 0