Stumpy 120: What drops can it handle?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

Stumpy 120: What drops can it handle?

Hey Guys!

I have a question regarding doing drops with a Stumpy 120. I know the stumpy wasn't desinged for drops but I was wondering what the maximum recommended drop hight is on horizontal or angle drops using the Stumpy 120?

All feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Pedro

Gravity Rides Everything
    it really depends how smooth you are. Some people can land big stuff without putting too much stress on the bike, others bottom out their suspension every time.
    That said, anything over 2-3 feet or so in my opinion is getting way over that bike's design criteria. you can take a much larger drop with it, but eventually it will fail. but if you're going to be making a habit of drops you might want to buy an enduro or a bighit instead. you really can't have light and strong, but you can buy more than one bike

Dec 2004
    150-170 about 4-5 tops 180- 3.5 is maxxed. unless it's on a tranny...then you could go 40ft if you were a smooth rider.

Dec 2004

Does more air help???

Hey Guys!

Thanks for your replies.

Do you guys think that if I put more air into the rear shock, that would help me from bottoming out the shock that ofter hence potentially helping me preserve the frame better?
    In other words, would that help me take on mildly larger drops and is bottoming the shock out a good indication of how much stress I am putting on the frame?

Thanks,

Pedro

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro2005
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for your replies.

Do you guys think that if I put more air into the rear shock, that would help me from bottoming out the shock that ofter hence potentially helping me preserve the frame better?
    In other words, would that help me take on mildly larger drops and is bottoming the shock out a good indication of how much stress I am putting on the frame?

Thanks,

Pedro
    that bike isn't really ment for droping or anything... Just get a Enduro if you want to go over 5ft. or A kona Coiler. More air could help, but it can stress the frame a little and also rebound might be too fast for you.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro2005
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks,

Pedro

bottoming out the shock frequently will destroy your pivots and shock bushings. more air will help to a certain extent, but you're still applying quite a bit of load on the frame. this really isn't the bike for "drops" It's a very capable mountain bike, but it isn't a freeride bike.

Dec 2004
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was just wondering what stuff can I go through as I am going through the trail.

Thanks again, that helped a lot.

Pedro