Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29er Fork Travel Increase?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29er Fork Travel Increase?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had tried increasing the fork travel on the Stumpy ST? In particular the base alloy model with the Recon fork.

I've done some internet 'research' and it looks like by removing the All-Travel spacer the fork can go from 130mm travel to 140mm.

I was thinking of doing this at service time and I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it yet?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I bet it is a great upgrade!

mtbr member
    From Sram docs.

I'm running 140mm on my Alloy ST, but replaced the Recon with a Revelation...sooo much better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29er Fork Travel Increase?-recontravel.png  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    yeah, a fork upgrade is defo on the list... after a wheel upgrade!
    I'd seen the Rockshox manuals about changing the all-travel spacer and reckon I'll probably do it when I service the forks later this year.
    I'll report back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am super interested in this experiment. Please report results when you do this.

Now is there any way to increase the travel of the Xfusion rear shock? I know it comes on longer travel bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That rear shock has me thinking too.
    I understand that the shock eye to eye length must remain the same, but could you fit a 190x45mm shock? Could the frame take the extra 2.5mm of travel with the ratio? Has anyone tried it???

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm confused by mr_manny's posted pic. Can we get to 150mm? We have a 29 fork with boost spacing. That would be sweet.

I would like the cheapest way to go from ST to LT and back. If we can get the fork to work in both configurations, it would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    No, the max travel you'll get from the Recon is 140mm, I don't know how to paste pages from the Sram manual, so here's the link...

https://www.sramconnect.com/globalas...ec-english.pdf

You'll see that the Recon, 29er Boost will go to 140mm travel max.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd like to try the ST with 140mm in the front. But I'd also like to try 140mm in the front and rear with the LT yoke. It would be great to be able to switch between both rears while leaving the fork at 140mm. Very interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm trying to figure out how much a 140mm fork would affect the travel on a LT Stumpjumper. Anyone know the axel to crown length of the 150mm forks that come on the 2019 Stumpjumpers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalBin View Post
    No, the max travel you'll get from the Recon is 140mm, I don't know how to paste pages from the Sram manual, so here's the link...

https://www.sramconnect.com/globalas...ec-english.pdf

You'll see that the Recon, 29er Boost will go to 140mm travel max.
    Yeah, but... looking at the manual(pg 40) it seems that at 140, you still have to have a 10mm spacer in there. Yes/no?

Also, I noticed that for the 2020 ST version that they have used a longer fork length, 560 vs 540, which results in some minor geometry changes. Would removing the All-Travel Spacer entirely do the same thing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoboy View Post
    Yeah, but... looking at the manual(pg 40) it seems that at 140, you still have to have a 10mm spacer in there. Yes/no?

Also, I noticed that for the 2020 ST version that they have used a longer fork length, 560 vs 540, which results in some minor geometry changes. Would removing the All-Travel Spacer entirely do the same thing?
    I'm actually in the middle of servicing/converting to 140mm at the moment. I'm just waiting for the right dust wipers. I ordered the wrong ones like an idiot.
    I've reduced the all-travel spacer to 10 =mm, I'm not sure what would happen if I took it out completely. As you say the manual says 10mm spacer for 140mm travel and then it's just blank after that so I fiugured it might not be good.
    Anyway, parts should hopefully arrive on Thursday so we'll see how it goes.

As for the 2020 ST's, you're right that's an extra 20mm on the fork length, so theHA is 66.5, SA is 74.1, Reach is 445mm and the Stack is now 642mm.
    That's got to be quite a different bike now then??

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    As for the 2020 ST's, you're right that's an extra 20mm on the fork length, so theHA is 66.5, SA is 74.1, Reach is 445mm and the Stack is now 642mm.
    That's got to be quite a different bike now then??
    Yeah. But, I guess you're bike will fall somewhere in the middle of those numbers with the extra 10mm? Definitely give us an update/review when you are done. Cheers...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just curious if you finished the upgrade? my son rides an ST Alloy 2019 27.5 and wants more travel up front and also asked about the rear shock. Did you make changes to both or just the front and what exacty did you do?

I definitely do not want to buy a different fork if i can get another 10mm on the Recon by removing a spacer

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey there Kipper,

Yep, I finally got the 200 hour service done and increased the travel to 140mm by CUTTING the 20mm spacer in half. Warranty is probably out of the window now?
    Anyway, it all seems to be working fine.
    The head angle is a little slacker, the seat angle is also a little slacker so I've moved the seat forward to try and counteract this.
    Unfortunately winter has landed and I haven't really had a chance to take her for a proper spin yet. But overall I would say the fork seems to roll over things better - of course some of the reason for this may be down to the service itself and I don't really feel that my riding is at such a level to be able to tell the difference of an extra 10mm travel.
    But if you're looking to get an extra 10mm of travel then by all means go ahead and cut the spacer in half.
    I haven't made any changes to the shock... yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The head angle is a little slacker, the seat angle is also a little slacker so I've moved the seat forward to try and counteract this.
    Good to hear this worked! Thanks for posting. I am all for this when I do that service. Although, I wonder how/if it will change the pressure setup? I looked online to see if there was a difference from the 2019 to the 2020 on the suspension setup page, but you can't choose the 2020. Should there be a difference in setup pressures between the 2019 and 2020 versions, since they changed up the fork length on the new model? I feel there must be some kind of change? Which will torture me as I have mine dialed in just perfect at the moment. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Bit of a let down that Specialized haven't got any 2020 models listed on their suspension calculator.
    Have you tried the Trialhead app/site for setup reccs?
    https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/
    Just put in your forks serial number and select the tuning page.

As for adjusting travel on the 2020 forks, make sure to check the Sram website for the manual that will show you the internal tuning options.

Update:
    Ok, a quick look at the manual for a 2020 Recon RL Boost fork shows the fork is adjustable from 80mm travel to 150mm travel by adding/removing/cutting the all travel spacer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Just put in your forks serial number and select the tuning page.
    I think the serial number on my fork is probably on a sticker that's buried inside the headtube from the searching I have done, and what I've read in different forums, because I was unable to find one on my bike. But, those figures are really just a starting point anyway. The new Recon RL does look a bit nicer. Happy to have my bike a year earlier though.