Stumpjumper FSR sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Stumpjumper FSR sizing

Long time lurker, first time poster. Lots of good info here so will ask this.

I have done some test riding and test ridden both but I feel in between sizes - M too short, L too long. I will be doing more extensive test riding and ask the shop to swap some parts out for me but thought I'd ask for your input too.

Would you:
    1) put longer stem on M
    2) put shorter stem on L

Will either screw up handling and weight distribution too much?

Me: 5'10" ~32" inseam

mtbr member
    we are the same height/inseam. My old SJ was a Medium. My new one is Large. The LBS put the next size shorter stem on it (Specialized adjustable angle ones). I actually like the large size frame better, the cockpit feels great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    To me it sounds like you would be a clear case for medium - without longer stem. But of course it is also a matter of personal preference. I'm 6' with 34"+ inseam and riding a large with 8cm stem (came with 10cm originally) and the cockpit still feels quite roomy. It's fine for pedaling but could be shorter for technical and dh trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have you guys actually measured the frame against the manufacturer specs. I found them to be shorter than specified. This may explain why you may have to buy one size up against the norm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti
    To me it sounds like you would be a clear case for medium - without longer stem. But of course it is also a matter of personal preference. I'm 6' with 34"+ inseam and riding a large with 8cm stem (came with 10cm originally) and the cockpit still feels quite roomy. It's fine for pedaling but could be shorter for technical and dh trails.
    I would have thought a medium would be right too until I rode it.
    Comparing to my 18" hardtail - horizontal top tube measurement on SJ medium is 10mm less and stock stem is another 10 mm less. Large is 25mm longer TT and same stem.
    Basically the effective reach (TT + stem) on the bike I ride now is right in the middle of the two SJ sizes.

Thanks for input all - I need to go ride them both again and hopefully swap some parts first.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I'm 5ft 11 with 33" inseem

I had an 05 Stumpy with a 120mm stem and it was a pretty good fit but maybe a touch too small. I then crashed the bike destroying the frame and putting myself in hospital and whilst recovering I bought a medium Enduro SL and medium Epic Marathon. Neither have ever seemed to fit jsut right, I had to have the seat post up almost as high as it would go on both bikes. The Enduro would make me feel perched up high and the Epic jsut seemed crazy short.
    I recently tried a friends large size Enduro and although initially it felt a bit long I soon got used to it and the position was more balanced, more comfortable and seemed to jsut generally be better. Result is me looking for a large Enduro frame and I'm looking to test ride a large Epic - looks like I should have waited until I was all healed up before jumping in and spending uber $$ without proper test rides, doh!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am the same height and inseam as you.
    I rode a '93 GT Zaskar 18" (Very good fit, but too racy now) and a Blue Nashbar steel frame 19"? (too big) before going to the Stumpy.

Being the anal engineer I am, I measured both of my frames and created a spreadsheet with them and several frames I was considering. I was debating between a Med & Lg also. Since I was buying used, I had to take a chance.

I got the large and it feels great. I am going to get a slightly shorter stem, but other than that it is just right.

So, if you like how your current bike fits, compare its specs to the Stumpy's in both sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm curious to the weight difference between a Med and Large, and if going with a Med and putting a longer stem plus setback seat post would yield a lighter bike? Maybe it's not that much difference???

I'm 6'1 and am on a large stumpy and it feels good, maybe slightly cramped.

My best friend which is 5'11 rides a Med Epic and he has no complaints about the size.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 5'8" and I just bought a sumpy FSR medium. I'm finding that compared to my old fisher (97) the cockpit is a bit cramped, but I think after riding a bit I'll adjust. My LBS guy told me it was because a full suspension tends to have a different "feel", but after posting on this forum I found that others felt the same. I'm going to ride for another month or two and se how it feels, if I still feel cramped I'll probably get a set back post , other that that the bike handles great, especially on tight single track.
    PC

mtbr member
    Can you really fix the problem with a lay back post and a longer stem though? When the cranks are flat your knee is meant to be over the pedal axle so wouldnt using the layback post give you a higher chance of getting knee problems?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    Can you really fix the problem with a lay back post and a longer stem though? When the cranks are flat your knee is meant to be over the pedal axle so wouldnt using the layback post give you a higher chance of getting knee problems?
    That's what I'm concerned about - while I would generally prefer a smaller bike (lighter, shorter wheelbase, more responsive) - a set back post may put knee too far back - a long stem may put weight too far out in front of headtube.

Hopefully I get the chance to try a few bike, stem, seatpost combos in the next day or two.

Curious whether other folks are sizing full suspension bikes different that hardtails - either bigger or smaller?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think some of the FSR elites actually come stock with the setback post. That would suggest to me that the designers noticed the cockpit was a bit small. I just ordered one on e-bay for 75.00 plus shipping so i'll let you know what difference i notice after the change
    PC

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 5'10" and 32" inseam as well! According to my local Spec dealer that's bang on the dividing line between Medium and Large! I went for a Large S-Works SJ in the end (I weigh 90 kgs) and really love it but it doesn't feel quite as agile as the medium which I have also ridden.

mtbr member
    I rode a large Enduro during the week (mines a Medium) and it took a while to get used to the longer wheelbase and very slight slower response in the tight turns but it more than made up for it by being easier to climb (less front wheel lifting up on the super steeps) and alot more stable on the fast technical down hill sections. The longer cockpit felt odd at first but it made me less upright so more stable on the downs, I thought it might give my back some grief but the position was fine. Still considering what to do..........

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 6'1.5" barefoot and about 33" inseam, and ride a XL Stumpjumper 08 expert. I'm a newb, but my initial impression is that I need a shorter stem, mine is 12cm stock. I feel a shorter stem may give me better control in technical areas.

Rovers and Bikes
    Nov 2008
    I made the mistake of getting a bike that "fit" me the first time around and was sorry after about a month. I am 6'2" with 33" inseam and was immediately put on an XL by the LBS. It did feel good cruising around the parking lot and on some easy trails, but when I hit the technical stuff I realized it was not right. The bike was to tall, to long, just not a proper riding position, the bike restricted what I could do. I tried a shorter stem and it did help a bit, but it still didn't feel right. I am now on a L size and very happy as I now have control over the bike, rather than it having control over me. Sure there is a bit of seat post sticking up now when pedaling to the trails, but that's alright as I drop the seat down when I reach the trail and all is good. Just ordered an AMP to deal with this...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I went a test rode a bit this weekend.
    Sitting on both in the shop the Medium 'looked' too small and the Large felt better. Thinking at that time a L with slightly shorter stem might be it. Two different shop guys thought I definitely needed a Large.
    Then I rode it - not real trails but about 15 mins around street and various parking lots, paved and unpaved. Bike was comfortable, didn't mind the stem length too much BUT the thing felt like a boat and turned like one too. Presumably a combination of slack HT angle and wheelbase but that certainly isn't the ride I'm looking for - I'd go so far as to say I hated it - I left quite discouraged and should have but didn't try the Medium again.
    Maybe I'm used to the responsiveness of my hardtail with 71.5 HT angle so maybe I need to reconsider the Epic or maybe Medium SJ will be better or maybe I need to reconsider other bikes that will fit like a Medium-Large.

Rovers and Bikes
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz
    Well I went a test rode a bit this weekend.
    Sitting on both in the shop the Medium 'looked' too small and the Large felt better. ...
    Looked to Large? Go with how it rides and handles, not the looks. Go back and try riding the medium, if it is a little to short have the LBS put a longer stem on it for a test ride. Don't give up, the SJ is a great bike and I love the way mine handles.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am 5'11" with 34" inseam. I have an M 08 SJ. I had an L Gary Fisher Cake before this one. I will say that I LOVE the M it handles awesome and climbs great. It seems to me to be more maneuverable then the L ever felt.
    I always felt the L was too long in the cockpit and the handling felt slow. That was even with a 75mm stem.
    I decided to get the M SJ because of the way the Cake felt. I did have the set post swapped out for a 410mm instead of the 360mm that came with it. I also use this bike to race XC as well as aggressive trail riding and long epics.
    As with all bikes it is a personal preference. Every time I go to a bike shop that don't know me, they tell me I need a L frame. Every time a ride a L frame I don't like the way it handles.
    I feel that I can move my weight around on the saddle and in general to make a M do what I want it to do.
    So back to what you really don't want to hear, YOU need to decide what feel you want and by the frame that gives you that. If are used to a HT then a FS is going to be a much different feel and that needs to taken into consideration when making your choice.
    I hope that this don't confuse you but that is my .02
    Troy

mtbr member
    I think you hit the nail on the head there - its the answer no one wants to hear. 5ft 11 is on the cusp or M or L and maybe neither is quite right, awww bollox!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

re: I am 5"11 with 32 inseam on a Large

I bought the large AND put on a set back seatpost. It is perfect for my.

Remember, torso length is important as well.

I have ridden large specialized frame in the stumpjumper and Epics for years and it works for me because the bike becomes a part of my body right away. The previous posters mentioned that last years SJ did not have the setback seatpost. This is essential for the bike IMO as it totally changes the ride. WHen I tried the SJ at one shop with the normal stock post - I hated the bike and started looking at a Yeti 575. On that bike I encountered the same between sizes problem you feel with the SJ. Another shop told me that they always put a set back on their SJ's and it was a magic bullet. This may help you fit the medium better and get the handling you are looking for.

One of my buddies is the same size as me and rode a medium epic frame for years and loved it until he started doing really technical downhills. Then he thought it was too cramped. However, when he rode my large SJ and felt it was too stretched out for him. He eventually got a Trance and like it alot.

mtbr member
    5'11" Large Feels great
    Never road a Medium

Dec 2008
    I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. When I was shopping for a bike, the salesman had me sit on a medium and a large StumpJumper FSR with the seat all the way down. From this test, it was clear that the large size was too big, so I bought the medium size.

I debated putting a longer stem on it, but after riding for 3 months, I don't think I'm going to change it. It did feel a bit cramped at first, but now the size seems just right.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    I bought the large AND put on a set back seatpost. It is perfect for my.

Remember, torso length is important as well.
    I agree with the torso length. I have a shorter torso then typical 5'11" people and that is why I feel that I like the M better then the L frames. So to add more fuel to this fire keep looking at what makes you comfortable.

gone for a bike ride

don't know if its of any help but...

i'm 5' 8 1/2" with a 31" inseam.

my Medium '04 Epic has a WCS setback post and a 100mm stem
    my Medium '09 Stumpjumper has a P6 slightly setback post and a flipped 90mm stem

i found the bikefit calculator @ competitive cyclist pretty useful as a starting point:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge

i'm 5' 8 1/2" with a 31" inseam.

my Medium '04 Epic has a WCS setback post and a 100mm stem
    my Medium '09 Stumpjumper has a P6 slightly setback post and a flipped 90mm stem

i found the bikefit calculator @ competitive cyclist pretty useful as a starting point:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
    The pictures from that site have me a bit nervous...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SurfSailRide; 04-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Put my setbeck post on Friday. Definitely helps open up the cockpit, if you feel cramped in there like I did I would suggest trying the post.
    PC

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am 6'0'' 33 inch inseam and on a medium. I am a relative newbie and the LBS said I could go either way and said if it were him he would buy the Medium. I thought the Medium felt better but after my first extended ride I am not sure. It does feel a little cramped but not bad. Do you guys that have put on a setback post think that may be the answer or am I not on the right size. I feel that it is close but dont really have anything to compare it to? Any help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I went from a medium 07 hardrock to a medium 09 stumpy. I test rode the large but just felt a little better on the medium. 5'10" 30" inseam. Love my new bike! Going from the hard tail to full suspension will be a bit of an adjustment anyway.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by SDak Rider
    I am 6'0'' 33 inch inseam and on a medium. I am a relative newbie and the LBS said I could go either way and said if it were him he would buy the Medium. I thought the Medium felt better but after my first extended ride I am not sure. It does feel a little cramped but not bad. Do you guys that have put on a setback post think that may be the answer or am I not on the right size. I feel that it is close but dont really have anything to compare it to? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    FWIW I'm 6'1" and ride a large. My buddy is 6'2" and rides a medium. I like a more stretched out race position and he likes a snappier, easy to throw around feel. You would be fine on either size. It's really personal preference. You could add a 5-10mm longer stem and also a setback post if you feel cramped. I would bet that a setback post would make it just right.
    How is your seat mounted now on your post...all the way back, centered, or forward in the rails? If it's not back try sliding it back a bit. Just remember that you want your knee somewhat centered over the pedal spindle when the cranks are horizontal and in your riding position. This is not a set in stone thing but is the general way of bike fitting.
    You can also experiment with headset spacers.....take a few from under and put them on top. Point is there are many things you can do to get the bike as close to perfect(fit wise) don't be afraid to try different setups. There are pro's and con's to all these, but I wouldn't worry about those until you try them.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by jgo47
    I went from a medium 07 hardrock to a medium 09 stumpy. I test rode the large but just felt a little better on the medium. 5'10" 30" inseam. Love my new bike! Going from the hard tail to full suspension will be a bit of an adjustment anyway.
    At 5'10" you made the right choice....a large would have been a stretch for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys! My seat is all the way back on the post and feels a little better but I think I will try a set back and I bet that will feel just right for me. I just wanted to make sure that i didnt let the LBS talk me into a medium because it was an 08 and they wanted to move it not to mention I really liked the bike and could haver easily talked myself into it also. It makes me feel better to know that there are many adjustments and no real right or wrong answer, just what feels best to you. I truly appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    5'10" here w/ a 32" inseam but a longer than normal reach. I wound up on a Large SJ. Probably could have went Medium w/ a longer stem but every LBS I went to said I looked cramped up on Medium frames.

-r.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by SDak Rider
    Thanks guys! My seat is all the way back on the post and feels a little better but I think I will try a set back and I bet that will feel just right for me. I just wanted to make sure that i didnt let the LBS talk me into a medium because it was an 08 and they wanted to move it not to mention I really liked the bike and could haver easily talked myself into it also. It makes me feel better to know that there are many adjustments and no real right or wrong answer, just what feels best to you. I truly appreciate the help.
    As a newbie you'll like the medium for throwing it around. It will make for a really fun singletrack bike. Just remember the knee position that I spoke about....it's important that whatever adjustments you make your checking your knee position. You can make a plumb bob out of string and a nut.

mtbr member
    Try both and take what the LBS and MTBR posters suggest with a grain of salt. It's very personal. I'm 6'0" and ride an XL Enduro with a shorter stem. Most people my size ride a large or even a medium because "it's easier to throw around." But I'll tell you with confidence that I throw the XL around with ease, and the longer wheel base feels incredible for climbing and descending.

I'm not suggesting you go bigger. I'm merely making a point about preference. Either way the SJ is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bwaa-hahaha-ha!

I went through this myself.

It comes up EVERY YEAR.

For some reason, Spesh chooses to make 4 sizes of FSR, and, foolishly in my opinion, they bracket rather than target the average size American man (5'10", 32")

"I'm 5'10 and the Stumpy FSR M feels too small, and the L is too big. What should I do?"

Do a search. You'll find this theme repeated year in, year out, ad nauseum about the Stumpy FSR's.

My 18" HT Stump fits me great and I love it. I went with another brand (Titus actually) for my full susser, and I'm very glad I did.

You'll be way happier if you do too.
    Last edited by Twister; 06-09-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Try both and take what the LBS and MTBR posters suggest with a grain of salt. It's very personal. I'm 6'0" and ride an XL Enduro with a shorter stem. Most people my size ride a large or even a medium because "it's easier to throw around." But I'll tell you with confidence that I throw the XL around with ease, and the longer wheel base feels incredible for climbing and descending.

I'm not suggesting you go bigger. I'm merely making a point about preference. Either way the SJ is a great bike.
    How short a stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    How short a stem?
    Right now 80mm. I've debated a 60mm, but I like being a bit more stretched out for longer rides.

Disclaimer: My comments were not meant to be a direct attack on your suggestion.

mtbr member
    How short a stem?
    Started with a 100mm (which was definitely too long). Now I have an 80mm. I've debated a 60mm, but I like being a bit more stretched out for longer rides.

Disclaimer: My comments were not intended to be a direct attack on your suggestion.

mtbr member
    (apologize for the double post)

Go SOLAR...
    Right now 80mm. I've debated a 60mm, but I like being a bit more stretched out for longer rides.

Disclaimer: My comments were not meant to be a direct attack on your suggestion.
    I didn't take it that way. I am your height and a XL was just to big. I could have put a shorter stem on, but taking it that short would have changed the steering response. That's almost an inch...it just seems to me a large would have been a better fit for you.

mtbr member
    I didn't take it that way. I am your height and a XL was just to big. I could have put a shorter stem on, but taking it that short would have changed the steering response. That's almost an inch...it just seems to me a large would have been a better fit for you.
    I think most people would agree with you. But quite frankly, I am very happy with my decision, which goes back to my original point, it's a matter of preference. Let me explain why (for those who have similar questions).

Steering with the 80mm stem (instead of the stock 100mm stem) is incredibly responsive (doesn't your large come with an 80mm? so why would "taking it that short" change the steering response?) and compensates just enough for the cockpit length. My seat is centered - NOT setback, like it would have been on a medium or large - which helps my knee placement and overall balance of the bike. The longer wheel base is ridiculously stable when descending, and resists wheelies when climbing. I'm quite strong for my weight (6'0", 185lbs), so "throwing the bike around" is not as much of a problem for me as it would be for weaker individual. My legs and arms (especially my arms) are a bit longer, so the XL feels less cramped. I DO NOT ride my mountain bike like a road bike or an XC race bike, so my seat is down an inch or so, which overcompensates for stand-over height. Finally, this is my only mountain bike, so I need something that is comfortable for long trail rides AND AM/light FR stuff. The XL is definitely more comfortable for longer rides, and is rock-solid when descending/dropping.

What are the downsides to my larger frame? None for me, but arguably two could arise for riders with different preferences: First, "flicking" or "throwing" a larger bike around will obviously be more difficult, but I compensate with upper/lower body strength and technique (though I'm always trying to improve technique). Secondly, IF (and that's a big "if," because I don't do it) I wanted to reach absolute full extension (like on a road bike), and decided to bring the seat post up another inch, then sitting on the saddle while standing still would be slightly less comfortable - I'd have to be on my tippy-toes. But then again, this can arguably be said about ANY size frame with the seat post high enough to reach full extension. I'm sure most XC marathon riders will vouch for that. Finally, I think it's important to mention that I AM NOT A SERIOUS FREERIDER - If I were, I'd DEFINITELY go with a smaller frame, and arguably a much different bike.

The take home point is that frame size is a very individual preference, and one should test ride as many options as possible before purchasing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm the OP reporting back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister
    For some reason, Spesh chooses to make 4 sizes of FSR, and, foolishly in my opinion, they bracket rather than target the average size American man (5'10", 32")

"I'm 5'10 and the Stumpy FSR M feels too small, and the L is too big. What should I do?"
    [snip]
    My 18" HT Stump fits me great and I love it.
    Ain't that the truth ^^^. World would be a happier place if Spesh would make a Medium-Large Stumpy.

After much test riding and much angst I went with a Large S-works Stumpy.
    While in theory I tend to like a smaller frame for maneuverability and shorter wheelbase I did not feel like I could get the Medium to fit right - my weight was so far out over the front that handling was a bit too scary and I couldn't get that right with a setback post or seat back on rails without really messing up my knee position.

As it happens my Large came with a setback Thomson post - instead of changing it right away for a straight I decided to ride it abit first. First few rides I was feeling cockpit was way too long and feared having made the wrong decision on frame size. I am now feeling really good on this bike. I'm still fine tuning cockpit a little - I may still shorten stem from 100 to a 90 (which incidentally is stock on a medium) and I may switch to a straight post, or I may stick to smaller adjustment and just slide saddle on rails a little.

Turns out the Large as set up stock with setback post and 100mm stem measures almost exactly same effective reach as my old s-works hardtail (~12mm different) yet feels completely different to me (possibly due to bar height/width).

My one remaining 'issue' is handling - I find this bike tough to get around tight switchbacks - just doesn't do as well in those circumstances as my old bike - I think its a combination of wheelbase, HTA and style of bike. Its something I will learn to deal with as I made conscious decision to go stumpy not epic for other attributes.

Bottom line - I am loving this bike .

Go SOLAR...
    I agree with you....whatever feels right is right. I guess my point is you have drastically changed the stem length for the bike to fit. Am I correct in assuming the bike was to big with the stock stem. It's one thing to change 5-10mm of stem length, but a 20mm change is pretty big your even talking about going shorter. I don't agree with changing a stem that much to make a bike fit, and most people wouldn't either. It's really not the correct way to fit a bike. IMO
    Our body types sound very similiar so I can understand your reasoning.

But again...your absolutely right. If you like it then that's all that matters. It's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Am I correct in assuming the bike was to big with the stock stem. It's one thing to change 5-10mm of stem length, but a 20mm change is pretty big your even talking about going shorter. I don't agree with changing a stem that much to make a bike fit, and most people wouldn't either. It's really not the correct way to fit a bike.
    Some great points are made here. However I'd like to point out a few things.

First, I wouldn't go as far to say that the bike was "too big" with the "stock" stem (which, for the record, you have the the option of choosing your stem length at the time of sale, so "stock" is a bit of a misnomer in this case). Had I planned on using the bike exclusively for XC/trail, I probably would have kept the 100mm stem. And in fact, I comfortably rode the bike with the 100mm stem for the first 5 months I owned it. However, this is my only "do everything" bike, and for more aggressive riding, I prefer slightly shorter.

Second, I agree that 20mm is a big jump in stem length, but the e150 stems only come in three sizes: 60mm, 80mm, and 100mm. Options are limited.

Third, in my limited and humble opinion (but I'm sure many will still agree), a longer TT length coupled with a shorter stem enables truer and more controlled handling than a shorter TT length coupled with a longer stem (creating the same effective "reach"). Had I purchased a medium or large, I would have had to swap the "stock" (again, not sure this is the correct term) 80mm stem for a 100mm stem to balance out the effective reach (long arms, remember?).

Fourth, I read about many folks on these forums who "down size" their frame (for "flick-ability"), but are forced to swap for a longer stem and severely set back their saddle to compensate for the short TT. Am I wrong in thinking this is egregious? My understanding that the combination of a long stem and a highly setback saddle throws of the entire balance of the bike by unevenly distributing weight, misaligning leg-stroke, and hindering handling.

These are just things to think about. Either way, folks, thanks for a great discussion. I think many will benefit by hearing the various arguments presented in this thread.
    Last edited by SurfSailRide; 06-09-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz
    I'm the OP reporting back in.

Ain't that the truth ^^^. World would be a happier place if Spesh would make a Medium-Large Stumpy.

After much test riding and much angst I went with a Large S-works Stumpy.
    While in theory I tend to like a smaller frame for maneuverability and shorter wheelbase I did not feel like I could get the Medium to fit right - my weight was so far out over the front that handling was a bit too scary and I couldn't get that right with a setback post or seat back on rails without really messing up my knee position.

As it happens my Large came with a setback Thomson post - instead of changing it right away for a straight I decided to ride it abit first. First few rides I was feeling cockpit was way too long and feared having made the wrong decision on frame size. I am now feeling really good on this bike. I'm still fine tuning cockpit a little - I may still shorten stem from 100 to a 90 (which incidentally is stock on a medium) and I may switch to a straight post, or I may stick to smaller adjustment and just slide saddle on rails a little.

Turns out the Large as set up stock with setback post and 100mm stem measures almost exactly same effective reach as my old s-works hardtail (~12mm different) yet feels completely different to me (possibly due to bar height/width).

My one remaining 'issue' is handling - I find this bike tough to get around tight switchbacks - just doesn't do as well in those circumstances as my old bike - I think its a combination of wheelbase, HTA and style of bike. Its something I will learn to deal with as I made conscious decision to go stumpy not epic for other attributes.

Bottom line - I am loving this bike .

With regards to handling.....play around with your shock and fork settings. It's just a matter of dialing it in and you'll never think of your old HT. Congrats on the purchase

Go SOLAR...
    Some great points are made here. However I'd like to point out a few things.

First, I wouldn't go as far to say that the bike was "too big" with the "stock" stem (which, for the record, you have the the option of choosing your stem length at the time of sale, so "stock" is a bit of a misnomer in this case). Had I planned on using the bike exclusively for XC/trail, I probably would have kept the 100mm stem. And in fact, I comfortably rode the bike with the 100mm stem for the first 5 months I owned it. However, this is my only "do everything" bike, and for more aggressive riding, I prefer slightly shorter.

Second, I agree that 20mm is a big jump in stem length, but the e150 stems only come in three sizes: 60mm, 80mm, and 100mm. Options are limited.

Third, in my limited and humble opinion (but I'm sure many will still agree), a longer TT length coupled with a shorter stem enables truer and more controlled handling than a shorter TT length coupled with a longer stem (creating the same effective "reach"). Had I purchased a medium or large, I would have had to swap the "stock" (again, not sure this is the correct term) 80mm stem for a 100mm stem to balance out the effective reach (long arms, remember?).

Fourth, I read about many folks on these forums who "down size" their frame (for "flick-ability"), but are forced to swap for a longer stem and severely set back their saddle to compensate for the short TT. Am I wrong in thinking this is egregious? My understanding that the combination of a long stem and a highly setback saddle throws of the entire balance of the bike by unevenly distributing weight, misaligning leg-stroke, and hindering handling.

These are just things to think about. Either way, folks, thanks for a great discussion. I think many will benefit by hearing the various arguments presented in this thread.
    I see weight balance the biggest issue. I understand your reasoning, and like It was said it's your choice. If it works for you that's all that matters. However, I wouldn't recommend doing what you are doing to a new buyer. When I test rode the XL it was like you said a very comfy ride when descending.

mtbr member
    However, I wouldn't recommend doing what you are doing to a new buyer.
    I agree 100%. Unless the person has some strangely out of proportion features, I'd suggest that a new/first-time buyer stick EXACTLY to the "recommendations" of the manufacturer. That is, until the person figures out what he/she likes...

Go SOLAR...
    I agree 100%. Unless the person has some strangely out of proportion features, I'd suggest that a new/first-time buyer stick EXACTLY to the "recommendations" of the manufacture. That is, until the person figures out what he/she likes...
    Agreed. I never understand why new riders want to change everything before they even have ridden a bit. You need to know "how" to ride and what type of riding you'll be doing before you start messing with stuff.

mtbr member
    So where is this mythical size recommendation chart for SJ's? I never noticed one on the Specialized site.

-r.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Now that you mention it, I don't think Specialized does supply one on their site (anyone?)...

Just ride!

Specialized Does Make A Medium-Large Stumpjumper

Large Safire frame is between the Medium and Large sized Stumpjumper frames.

I also fall in that Medium/Large size gap.

A medium feels like a toy or tricycle to me, a feeling worsened by increasing the stem length to 110 - 120 mm.

I ride a large Stumpy, 04 Anniversary Edition. The large frame feels a bit too long, but I have ridden this size for so long the extra length is negligible, save for tight climbing switchbacks (Kitsuma anyone?)

I have ridden the Large Safire at a demo, as well as the 18.5 inch sized Trek Fuel. Both frames fit me perfectly, with the saddle rails set in the middle of a straight post and no compromise on leg/knee fit. The wheelbase is also slightly longer, causing both bikes to feel more stable descending and easier to control wheel loft while climbing.

The poster that stated this topic comes up every year is correct. I wish Specialized and or Titus would make a frame sized between the Medium and Large standard sizes. Of course, Titus will make a size in between for a small fee in Titanium. Maybe I can apply for some stimulus money.................................

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000
    So where is this mythical size recommendation chart for SJ's? I never noticed one on the Specialized site.

-r.
    Not sure I follow......

Just ride!
    The Specialized Safire is the womens specific version of the Stumpjumper.

The Large Safire frame size is in between the Medium and Large Sized Stumpjumper.

Members who have read this thread: 0