Stumpjumper 2021- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Stumpjumper 2021

Rumor has it that there is a 2021 version on the way.

Will we see an ST and an LT version?
    Where will it sit in relation to the Stumpy Evo?

(Picture is photoshop)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Over on the Enduro2020 thread someone pointed out that the new Stumpy is unlikely to be a miniaturized version of the Enduro because of the weight that come with that suspension design ...something like 20 bearings and associated hardware being too heavy. Just make them all ceramic?

I throw poo
    My guess: new 115 bike, named Camber or Epic Evo, Sumpies at 130, and 145. Sumpy gets more forward lower pivot, higher AS with similar linkage to current.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Over on the Enduro2020 thread someone pointed out that the new Stumpy is unlikely to be a miniaturized version of the Enduro because of the weight that come with that suspension design ...something like 20 bearings and associated hardware being too heavy. Just make them all ceramic?
    Seems to me the weight increase would be due to the size of the links more than the quantity of bearings. The upper and lower rockers are both pretty large and thick, if you were using a shorter stroke shock or slightly different designs, you could cut weight there by reducing the size of those links.

It'd be surprising to me if they spent the R&D to get the Demo linkage to the Enduro and not continue the trend to their more aggressive trailbikes.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz continued down the path...nearly 1lb heavier from the HTLT to the HT2, for example. I told my buddies this was coming a while back, just to take the chance I am right when it does pop. LOL
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    I would take the trade off, weight vs pedaling, any day of the week. For me the only place that weight really matters is wheels or a full XC racing rig.

Just put the new rear end on the current Evo front end and done!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    i think itll be the same but with a slacker head angle

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Just put the new rear end on the current Evo front end and done!
    And a proper length headtube on the Evo, 105mm is daft. Havent seen anyone with a slammed bar on the Evo, everyone I've seen has a stack of spacers and a high rise bar!

mtbr member
    To get me back on a stumpy a few things seem to need attention. Slacken the front, steepen the seat angle, get the reach figured out a tad, and address the monstrous stack height on the larges. In addition I am able to slam a 170mm One Up in my HT2 medium that I am fairly positive I can't on the new stumpy.

I am a weird one where I am always between the medium and the large on the last few iterations of the stumpy, or the Hightower (as another example), but switching up to the large currently really gets a tad too wonky for me. I want the medium to have some additional room and let me run a big dropper. Then we'll talk. I'm always a fan of the stumpy tech.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I agree, the reach has to increase by a good 30mm. Steepen that seat angle. Head angle not too bad at (now) 66.5 on the ST.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    To get me back on a stumpy a few things seem to need attention. Slacken the front, steepen the seat angle, get the reach figured out a tad, and address the monstrous stack height on the larges. In addition I am able to slam a 170mm One Up in my HT2 medium that I am fairly positive I can't on the new stumpy.

I am a weird one where I am always between the medium and the large on the last few iterations of the stumpy, or the Hightower (as another example), but switching up to the large currently really gets a tad too wonky for me. I want the medium to have some additional room and let me run a big dropper. Then we'll talk. I'm always a fan of the stumpy tech.
    You are not weird, I am on an XL compared to a LG with my other bikes to get the reach I like. My gut is that the uptake on the SJ Evo really surprised Specialized and we will see the standard move much closer to that geo. A 470 reach (LG) with a 65 HA, 76 SA and reasonable stack would put it solidly middle of the contemporary pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Iím pretty friendly with the local shop and they other day I was there checking out the stumpy EVO and wishing it came in bigger sizes. The mechanic told me not to buy a current bike, but to wait for the next round of bikes to be released. It wasnít clear what the timeframe was, but he does know that Iím looking for a s4 or s5 evo type bike in 29er that I could use locally as well as at the bike park. Wait and see I guess.
    Ripmo AF
    Middlechild chromoly
    Tues CF

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think the question is more why would they change the Stumpy that soon after spending all that money to design a new frame for 2019? The 2020's just recently hit their website. A new hybrid Stumpy/Enduro frame doesn't make financial sense unless the current models are completely bombing at the dealers which I don't believe they are. They have 3 flavours of Stumpy and a new Enduro and Demo - pretty cool really. I can see slight frame geo revisions happening but not a new design.

Also, waiting for the next design is a tiring game - similar to vehicles really. Don't buy a 2019 because 2021 will be the new better design - but then at the end of 2021 the rumors start about the next version in 2023, etc. It's the cell phone model of sales and it works well.

Love my Evo 29 and Stumpy 29 ÖÖ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rename the current Stumpy ST to "the Camber" and make a bad-ass new Stumpy with modern geo. The current short travel version likely appeals to folks who don't want to go anywhere near full enduro but want to smooth out their local, flat, twisty, slightly rooty "trails"

mtbr member
    smooth out their local, flat, twisty, slightly rooty "trails"

Screw you dude... it's all we got!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rename the current Stumpy ST to "the Camber" and make a bad-ass new Stumpy with modern geo. The current short travel version likely appeals to folks who don't want to go anywhere near full enduro but want to smooth out their local, flat, twisty, slightly rooty "trails"
    No thanks, bring out a new proper Camber! I've got a '17 Camber and a '19 Stumpy. Used to have a '17 Stumpy with a few mods as well.

My go-to bike for the terrain I ride most is the Camber. Unless you are riding down enduro trails, the Camber is faster than the ST, and just as much fun. It still fits that spot between the Epic Evo and the ST. IMO, of course

I'd think they'd spec the LT with a 160 fork and new components, more or less like they did with the previous gen (140->150 fork). Can't see them designing a new frame this soon.

I see people complain about the head tube lenght, just when Spec shortened it because so many people complained it was too tall on the previous gen...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenay rider View Post
    I think the question is more why would they change the Stumpy that soon after spending all that money to design a new frame for 2019? The 2020's just recently hit their website. A new hybrid Stumpy/Enduro frame doesn't make financial sense unless the current models are completely bombing at the dealers which I don't believe they are.
    The current version was outdated when it was released, the geo was pretty far behind current trends (EVO aside). If you compare the Transition SBG bikes, which is pretty close to what most bikes were headed towards at that time, the reach, HTA, wheelbase, and offset figures were all very different (much shorter, mainly) than what the trend was then and especially considering trends now. So in the midst of a pretty major shift in geometry trends, they released a bike that was already behind what everything else was. It was less of an issue when released because only a handful of other bikes at the time had been updated, but now basically everyone else has moved on to modern geo.

Most 29ers have moved on since then and they're still behind, so from a design POV, I think it makes sense for them to update it. I don't know how that impacted sales, but I can't imagine it was a positive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    The current version was outdated when it was released, the geo was pretty far behind current trends (EVO aside). If you compare the Transition SBG bikes, which is pretty close to what most bikes were headed towards at that time, the reach, HTA, wheelbase, and offset figures were all very different (much shorter, mainly) than what the trend was then and especially considering trends now. So in the midst of a pretty major shift in geometry trends, they released a bike that was already behind what everything else was. It was less of an issue when released because only a handful of other bikes at the time had been updated, but now basically everyone else has moved on to modern geo.

Most 29ers have moved on since then and they're still behind, so from a design POV, I think it makes sense for them to update it. I don't know how that impacted sales, but I can't imagine it was a positive.
    Exactly that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalBin View Post
    Exactly that.
    I beg to differ - this is why they made the EVO. The standard Stumpy should be a bike that handles general (natural) trail riding. It shouldn't be superlong, superslack or monster wheelbase'd, most people I know where I ride (including myself) even run the Stumpy in high mode when not doing full-on gravity.

If they go the trend-route, they will end up with another EVO that handles parks & shuttling great, but sucks everywhere else.

One of my friends dropped his Enduro for a Stumpy LT, and won the National Enduro series (masters class) with it this year. His reason for the switch being that it pedals so much better than the Enduro.

So IMO we need to look at what the intended use is for each bike, and not make all of them the same. The Stumpy has sold rather well over here (Scandinavia), considering that nobody wants to have the same bike as anyone else...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    I beg to differ - this is why they made the EVO. The standard Stumpy should be a bike that handles general (natural) trail riding. It shouldn't be superlong, superslack or monster wheelbase'd, most people I know where I ride (including myself) even run the Stumpy in high mode when not doing full-on gravity.
    It doesn't have to be super slack and aggressive to match current trends, that's not necessarily the point of the modern geo. Most modern geo bikes have a slightly slacker HTA, longer wheelbase, and mostly, reduced offset fork. These trends were more or less first released on the SBG bikes by Transition, then adopted by everyone else. AFAIK the SJ is one of the only largely distributed 29ers still on a 51mm offset fork (the offset alone isn't necessarily the issue, rather that it represents one obvious part of the overall dated design).

The Smuggler and Optic are both good examples of bikes that are trailbikes, remain nimble, with less of a gravity focus and more of a balanced focus. The geo trends there are what Specialized should have followed with the main line Stumpjumper and didn't.

Hell, even XC bikes are following the same trends: slacker, a bit longer, and with a reduced offset fork.

You may not care, it may not matter to the people you ride with, and it may suite your purposes all really well, that's subjective. What's objectively true is that the industry was going one direction when it was released and Specialized didn't follow those trends with the new bike, that's pretty easy to see now given where the other bikes in the industry and lineup are compared to the SJ, although slightly less obvious when it was released. It's also the reason why the design cycle for the current model is likely to be shorter than others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I agree with you that the geo for the standard version could be updated but one could argue they already have that in the evo. Remember this trend is very new and is still evolving. I was making a statement regarding a change in suspension design which to me doesnít make sense at this point. However, Iím certain the geoís will be updated in the next year or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree with you that the geo for the standard version could be updated but one could argue they already have that in the evo. Remember this trend is very new and is still evolving. I was making a statement regarding a change in suspension design which to me doesnít make sense at this point. However, Iím certain the geoís will be updated in the next year or two.
    Ya, the trend is definitely evolving, no doubt there. It seems like reach #s are growing beyond what the original trend set, the new Enduro and Sight are at the front of that, I expect the new Transition bikes will do the same when they come out in late winter.

The linkage will be tough to tell. I recall reading one interview about the Enduro where they mention they could have gotten the characteristics they wanted out of the old link design, but it would have required too high of a seat tube, so the current design gives them those characteristics without a long seattube, allowing for longer droppers. That may be something that translates well to the SJ, but it being sortof in the middle, hard to say for certain.

mtbr member
    I think the question is more why would they change the Stumpy that soon after spending all that money to design a new frame for 2019? The 2020's just recently hit their website. A new hybrid Stumpy/Enduro frame doesn't make financial sense unless the current models are completely bombing at the dealers which I don't believe they are. They have 3 flavours of Stumpy and a new Enduro and Demo - pretty cool really. I can see slight frame geo revisions happening but not a new design.

Also, waiting for the next design is a tiring game - similar to vehicles really. Don't buy a 2019 because 2021 will be the new better design - but then at the end of 2021 the rumors start about the next version in 2023, etc. It's the cell phone model of sales and it works well.

Love my Evo 29 and Stumpy 29 ÖÖ.
    Remember that they redesigned the Enduro after only 1 year on the market a few years ago. The regular SJ geo is very outdated at this point compared to offerings from others like SC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Definitely remember that but that wasn't a completely new frame with a re-designed linkage like the jump from the 2019 to 2020 enduro. I agree the geo on the regular SJ could be modernized but then it would be similar to the evo. I'm sure they'll tweak the geo's for the next couple years before considering a new suspension layout.

The regular Stumpy has always been the all-arounder which can do well everywhere. I would argue that the modern trail bike geo craze is morphing into the 'enduro' range or more gravity focused. That's great since we all like the down but realistically it's terrain that not everyone has access too for their 'trail' riding. Look at Pinkbike's bike of the year award - Norco Optic - it shares geo's with the Stumpy Evo - it's gravity focused and in Pinkbike's words, climbs 'just fine' Ö for a trail bike. Remember when enduro bikes climbed OK and just fine? Heck I remember pedalling around a Demo 9 and thinking it climbs OK - how about the VP free climbing OK or even great?

Long story short, mountain biking classifications (trail, all-mtn, enduro, etc) and bike designs around 29ers are rapidly evolving and changing - they haven't stabilized yet at all. It's gotta be tough for some companies to figure out which way to go.

I look forward to seeing the evolution Ö just wish I had the money to try everything out beyond a test ride!

mtbr member
    I own both a regular SJ and two Evo's (I have issues). My SJ has 60 miles on it, my Evo's have a combined 800. I ride my Evo everywhere on every type of trail and love it.

I do think there is a place for the regular SJ though. In my head they will stretch the Reach by at least 30 mm per size and slack out the HA by 1* to 65.5 in high and 65 in low. The CS should stay short as well at around 435 and the BB at 345.

Keep the Evo exactly where it is, 63.5 low and 64 high with the same reach and longer CS. Raise the BB by 10 mm and it will be golden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Knutspeed ...Totally agree with you here. Its the reason I chose the reg SJ over the Evo. I want a well rounded trail bike. I got to get up the mountain, and prefer to do it on a bike that is capable of it quickly.

mtbr member
    Makes sense, but when the current SJ was released the 2019 models hit the stores summer of 2018. If Specialized is on a three year cycle then a revamped 2022 Stumpy would be released Summer 2021. I'd gladly swap more weight for better suspension, but I agree lengthening the top tube would be the first thing I'd change. At 6'1" I'm between Large and XL.
    +1 on a totally new Stumpjumper released soon. I'd buy a shorter, lighter, less slack, "Stumpy" version of the Enduro 2020.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrails View Post
    Knutspeed ...Totally agree with you here. Its the reason I chose the reg SJ over the Evo. I want a well rounded trail bike. I got to get up the mountain, and prefer to do it on a bike that is capable of it quickly.
    The Evo climbs better than the standard SJ, doesn't matter if it is paved roads or super tight/steep switchbacks. Not saying that the SJ is not a great bike and it is better on flat tighter single track, but need to stick to the facts when making claims about these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lol. I love all the input about the Stumpy. They should do this or that or whatever. The best bike that can handle anything up or down is the rider plain and simple. But to say the Evo climbs better. Bahahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Evo climbs better than the standard SJ, doesn't matter if it is paved roads or super tight/steep switchbacks. Not saying that the SJ is not a great bike and it is better on flat tighter single track, but need to stick to the facts when making claims about these bikes.
    Iíve been buying way too many bikes since I rediscovered that hobby about 10 years ago, most of them Specialized due to having a fantastic LBS.

I am classified as OCD - riding way too much, including commuting, but 99% is natural, Scandinavian singletrack, from XC to Enduro, and the occasional park. All year, snow and -20C or 30C summer.

i am no theoretical expert, but believe I know a few things from riding. Of the current bikes in the household, here`s how I rank their climbing ability (general, all terrain combined)

- Chisel hardtail
    - 2018 epic (mrs)
    - 2017 camber
    - 2016 Stumpy (my old, now mrs)
    - 2019 Stumpy LT carbon w/SL wheels
    - 2018 Fattyío

To say that the EVO or Enduro climb great doesnít match my experience.

I have no problems riding the LT for enduros with 3000m elev gain, but thatís just cranking in easy gears, saving as much energy as possible. For long rides, say 3-4 hours with 1000+ m of elevation gain, the LT will leave me a lot more tired than the Camber, or epic, but I enjoy it more nonetheless because of the downs.

IMO, there wonít be one geo that fits all, just like there wonít be one tire for everything. So I hope they keep making different bikes for different disciplines. Hell, I just bought a Diverge this fall, and it makes riding gravel and chicken-trails a hoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To say that the EVO or Enduro climb great doesnít match my experience.
    It doesnít sound like you are basing your experience on actual riding time, rather theoretically. So what are you basing it on? Travel? Geometry? Link design? Shock tune?

All those things play a role, some are easier to speculate on, like geometry, while others are a bit more difficult, like shock tune and linkage. Most folks seem to judge based on travel which arguably is the least influential of the factors in how well a bike climbs, there are short travel bikes that pedal poorly and long travel bikes that pedal very well. Iím PRing climbs by a wide margin on my Enduro despite having extensive riding time on shorter travel bikes that were set up lighter and faster.

Iíve ridden the latest gen SJ and the Enduro climbs better except in tight, technical climbs. The new one bobs less and is more responsive than the SJ is, less draining on long days also. I didnít find the current gen SJ to be a very enthusiastic climber or particularly efficient, but itís not really a valid comparison to say a completely different bike climbs worse because the SJ LT climbs poorly. Actual experiences will trump theoreticals unless you can get into the weeds with the engineering of every aspect of the design.

I donít have much time on the EVO, so I canít comment but a few friends do and they seem to agree it pedals better than the base SJ. All that said, I didnít really get along with the current SJ that well and despite multiple setup attempts, I wasnít much of a fan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It doesnít sound like you are basing your experience on actual riding time, rather theoretically. So what are you basing it on? Travel? Geometry? Link design? Shock tune?

All those things play a role, some are easier to speculate on, like geometry, while others are a bit more difficult, like shock tune and linkage. Most folks seem to judge based on travel which arguably is the least influential of the factors in how well a bike climbs, there are short travel bikes that pedal poorly and long travel bikes that pedal very well. Iím PRing climbs by a wide margin on my Enduro despite having extensive riding time on shorter travel bikes that were set up lighter and faster.

Iíve ridden the latest gen SJ and the Enduro climbs better except in tight, technical climbs. The new one bobs less and is more responsive than the SJ is, less draining on long days also. I didnít find the current gen SJ to be a very enthusiastic climber or particularly efficient, but itís not really a valid comparison to say a completely different bike climbs worse because the SJ LT climbs poorly. Actual experiences will trump theoreticals unless you can get into the weeds with the engineering of every aspect of the design.

I donít have much time on the EVO, so I canít comment but a few friends do and they seem to agree it pedals better than the base SJ. All that said, I didnít really get along with the current SJ that well and despite multiple setup attempts, I wasnít much of a fan.
    Iíve not had much time in the new enduro, so yes, a rather poor base for me to judge it by. Just 30mins on my local trails on an S-works at a Spec demo day in august. But I instantly knew this is not the bike I want for my type of riding. My point was that I even think the SJ LT is pushing it, and my sole reason for owning this bike is that we have a cabin in the mountains where the SJ works great on trails that would scare most park riders.

Iím not trying to claim the SJ is better because I bought it, Iím even saying I liked some things better on the old gen SJ.

Why would Spesh sell the regular SJ if the EVO was better at everything?

Disclaimer: my SJ is a comp carbon with an upgraded wheelset. I can well imagine that the base alu SJ is Sluggish, but that would not be a fair comparison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Enduro is not created for efficient climbing ...it's about the downs. As such, it should be able to make it up the hill without requiring too much energy. In this regard, it exceeds my expectation based on past experience with 2014 Enduro, 2017 Stumpy, 2018 Stumpy Evo and other non-Specialized bikes that I have had. If you want to set Strava records going up hill, this is the wrong bike.

The answer to the question of "will it suffice as a trail bike" is dependent on a lot of factors. Currently, I have an Epic Evo and a 2020 S-Works Enduro. I have ridden both on the same trails and most trails I ride I have a preference for one verses the other. There are a handful of trails where I frequently ride both and I definitely ride differently on either bike. On the Epic Evo, I hammer out of the saddle on the climbs; on the Enduro, I stay seated climbing. On the Epic, I rely on easy acceleration to make it through the ride; on the Enduro, I rely on the ability to pump, plow and brake as little as possible to maintain momentum.

mtbr member
    Iíve not had much time in the new enduro, so yes, a rather poor base for me to judge it by. Just 30mins on my local trails on an S-works at a Spec demo day in august. But I instantly knew this is not the bike I want for my type of riding. My point was that I even think the SJ LT is pushing it, and my sole reason for owning this bike is that we have a cabin in the mountains where the SJ works great on trails that would scare most park riders.

Iím not trying to claim the SJ is better because I bought it, Iím even saying I liked some things better on the old gen SJ.

Why would Spesh sell the regular SJ if the EVO was better at everything?

Disclaimer: my SJ is a comp carbon with an upgraded wheelset. I can well imagine that the base alu SJ is Sluggish, but that would not be a fair comparison.
    There is no difference in the rear suspension between the Evo and LT. The reason the Evo climbs better comes down to geometry and body position. With the steeper SA you don't have to fight the front wheel on steep technical climbs and you have more energy for pedaling. For standard fore road climbs the Evo is still better, but only marginally again because you are on top of the pedals and not behind them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There is no difference in the rear suspension between the Evo and LT. The reason the Evo climbs better comes down to geometry and body position. With the steeper SA you don't have to fight the front wheel on steep technical climbs and you have more energy for pedaling. For standard fore road climbs the Evo is still better, but only marginally again because you are on top of the pedals and not behind them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'm 6.3" on an XL Stumpy, and have the seat pushed almost all the way forward already, running the std stem. I see your point about the STA, but I also don't have any issues with front wheel lift on steep climbs. I do have issues with having to push down on the bars to get bite at the front anywhere else, even when standing, at least compared to my older bikes. As much as I love the longer, slacker frame on the downs, it makes the bike rather lumbering on tight, pedally stuff - and that's more or less what we have in my area.

I was faster on my '16 Stumpy in Size L on most of the local trails compared to my '17 XL, and '19 XL, but have smashed all my downhill PRs on the '19. When I ride the size L now (wife has inherited it) it feels silly small and nervous. To be fair, speed on the local trails comes easier on a nimble bike, and I'll never beat my Epic-times unless I get another XC-fully.

mtbr member
    Currently on a Stumpjumper ST Expert 27.5 size large. What I would like to see in the next stumpjumper is very small improvement, as itís a trail bike and, supposed to be good at everything. A little more reach, a bit steeper sta, slightly slacker hta a wee bit longer wheelbase, and another category of stumpjumper one like the Norco Optic a enduroish trail bike the ST Evo travel in the 130ish to 140 category. So how my current stumpy climbs would be described as good, but the front end does like to come up on the steepest of hills even with sta 65.6 which Isnít much different from the evo. I suspect that bike climbs good because of the overall length and ratio of front centre and rear centre along with the sta. My concern with too steep of a sta and Iíll wait a few years and listen to long term review is pressure on knees. Oh and the current 27.5 st stumpjumper is unreal havenít tried 29er version.
    Last edited by gunner.989; 01-02-2020 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not forgetting the 2020 Enduro was a clean sheet design. No carry over at all from the previous generation.

Will Spesh go radical for the next Stumpy? I heard that it may not be a FSR design...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The new Turbo Levo SL is said to have a slightly different linkage than the current Stumpy and that this new linkage achieves similar results to the 2020 Enduro linkage. If true, I'm not sure we will see an entirely new Stumpy next year ...but what do I know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I definitely like the feel of the longer reach bikes, SB130, Fuel Ex, Jeffsy. Really hoping the Stumpy gets that geometry.

mtbr member
    The new Turbo Levo SL is said to have a slightly different linkage than the current Stumpy and that this new linkage achieves similar results to the 2020 Enduro linkage. If true, I'm not sure we will see an entirely new Stumpy next year ...but what do I know?
    I have heard they can get close, but there are compromises with water bottle placement, etc. It is a packaging issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This appeared on the pinkbike patents article, doesn't look like an enduro does it? Shock in a different place. New Stumpy?

Stumpjumper 2021-p5pb18278442.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Interesting but I hope itís not the new Stumpjumper with a seat tube angle like that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Spesh will get the bendy rulers out and magic up an effective seat angle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ha! Ain't that the truth.

I'm sure we'll see a change in the Stumpjumper and it should be a good one based on the new Enduro reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm pretty excited if this is the direction the new stumpjumper is going. Those long, high mounted chain stays with their initial rearward axle path are going to just soak up almost anything on the trail just like the new enduro. Pair that with the new progressive linkage design and less travel and this thing should climb so well. Make it soon Specialized, and I will gladly get rid of my 2020 fuel ex for this!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir HC View Post
    This appeared on the pinkbike patents article, doesn't look like an enduro does it? Shock in a different place. New Stumpy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb18278442.jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1319613
    Pretty sure that is the demo frame that the linkage was first seen on geometry is way to slack to be a stumpjumper. Look at that STA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    just in case spesh is listening... BRING BACK THE XXL MODEL.

it can be aluminum frame, but put a 35mm fork on it. Not the 32mm reba like you had before!!!!

515 reach, 700 top tube, 680 stack, 445 chain stay, 66 head tube, 150/140, 29er x 2.8, 345bbh, 175mm cranks, 35mm rims, metric shock with 57.5mm stroke so us big guys can set it up.

mtbr member
    It is not uncommon for Specialized to be very cautious with new trends, just to, then... fully commit! It's been the same with enduro bikes and 29ers. They're so good at it that in the end they appear to always have been on the forefront. They marketed the model name "Enduro" when effectively a lot of brands had capable long travel all mountain bikes, they gained a reputation for being #1 big brand for 29er bikes albeit they jumped on that train just before it left the station. Stumpjumper Evo was a test ballon and it showed that within a season Spec can easily pull off new molds for making a carbon version. New Enduro with its extrem Geometron-like numbers is a clear indication where the Morgan Hillians are going. Or even better, the less marketed new Fuse Hardtail! Expect Specialized to fully commit to new geo numbers: steep st, loooong reach, slack ha, low bb, chain stay length growing throughout sizes. Happy days are coming. Two years from now nobody will talk about the Stumpjumper having somewhat traditional geo numbers. It has to be communicated to the people, that new school geo will not change your seated riding position by much, if at all. What happens is that the bike, essentially your wheels, will be positioned differently under you. Yes, there are certain aspects of riding that require adaptation but the overall rewards are way too good to be left. And this is true for descending AND climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm not sure The Stumpy is supposed to be a good allround trail bike, borderline XC, borderline enduro. For everything not enduro, I liked the old one better. For enduro, I might like the EVO better.

I know I'm repeating myself, and putting way too much OCD into this, but...
    I recently converted my 2019 Comp Carbon LT to ST just for kicks - and added a super light wheelset with Fast Traks. It's not bad at all, I even thought it was pretty decent as an XC bike. Rode it for a couple of months, then I got my '17 Camber back from "quarantene", put the fast wheels on that, and it instantly felt quicker, better climbing and more fun than the ST. I even put a 150 fork on the Camber, and it still felt better pedalling than the ST. Weight is about the same.

Running XL frames, I believe that a fair bit of performance is lost between frame sizes, because they run the same rear triangle and effective STA changes (Cannondale has started looking into this, I think).
    So I can have a totally different opinion of my XL Stumpy than my shorter mate on his L - specifically for everything done while seated.

And I'm also curious about the shorter crank arms. Riding 175mm for so many years, it might just be that my legs are used to those. Dunno.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm hoping for a new ST with rowdy geo to compliment my Enduro

mtbr member
    I definitely want a trail friendly version of the Enduro. Will be holding off on a new bike until I see what Spesh does with the Stumpy.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS shop manager said no new Stumpy and they will discontinue the Stumpy ST as that is replaced by the 2021 Epic Evo. This is my interpretation as he is not permitted to tell me directly what is going on but also doesn't want me to buy my next trail bike elsewhere.

mtbr member
    i too was told by my lbs to hold off on new trail bike if I can (which I will). Tight lipped about everything but I'm not in a rush

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
    i too was told by my lbs to hold off on new trail bike if I can (which I will). Tight lipped about everything but I'm not in a rush
    Not the shop manager --just one of the mechs who just got a new Enduro --said, "Eight Months on the Stumpy."

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Even if true, 8 months is a long time to wait for a bike you havenít seen...if you are in a buying mood...my .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbyman View Post
    Even if true, 8 months is a long time to wait for a bike you havenít seen...if you are in a buying mood...my .02

Agree, although I have wasted 8 or so months trying to decide what to buy, but never waiting on a unicorn to be released.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Deore 12sp will feature

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Curtis Keene just posted this https://www.facebook.com/33430388002...71721512949742 New Stumpy?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-104209242_2871721516283075_4505635514700722977_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    I can wait now then just take my money.....wait....no brakes?!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
    I can wait now then just take my money.....wait....no brakes?!!!
    Pedal backwards..

mtbr member
    Lol...SRAM won't be happy

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    New epic Evo out today. Its new geometry is more progressive than the current stumpjumper ST.

The stumpjumper ST seems a bit pointless right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_rh View Post
    New epic Evo out today. Its new geometry is more progressive than the current stumpjumper ST.

The shop manager at my LBS says the SJ LT will be discontinued. The 2020 Enduro has 170mm of travel so I image the 2021 Stumpy --new model or not --will be 150mm. It seems like that leaves a hole in the lineup ...something like a 130/140

...but this is a 2021 SJ thread so I just say, "hurry up and release it already!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_rh View Post

I don't know bike geometry well, but I thought that the EPIC had geo such that it was more of a race bike rather than a trail bike and yeah there is the EVO now, but that I thought was putting a bit more travel on a race bike. I've never been on an EPIC new or old so I don't really know what that means, but I was picturing hard edged, slightly uncomfortable at times in the name of pedal efficiency and speed.

I have a Camber and was considering a Stumpy ST soon. My trails don't warrant big travel, you can do them nicely on a well equiped hardtail, probably ideally a FUSE, however, I like the comfort factor and parts are definitely better having the rear suspension.

My other thought is, the cheapest EPIC full sus is over $4K. I can't imagine specialized is not having a cheaper short travel bike. it seems like a big hole

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe they'll introduce a Fuse FSR to sit alongside the hard tail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Maybe they'll introduce a Fuse FSR to sit alongside the hard tail?
    yeah, that sounds like a Stumpjumper. 29x2.6

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    yeah, that sounds like a Stumpjumper. 29x2.6
    I have a 2018 Fuse that I'm going to be handing down to my son when I replace it this fall with a FS bike - I'm planning on a Stumpjumper, but maybe it'll be a Fuse FSR

mtbr member
    Not releasing a new Stumpjumper? Thats like Jeep saying they've discontinued the wrangler..

mtbr member
    I predict the new Status will ďreplaceĒ the current stumpy LT and the new stump will be a 130/140 bike. I believe the new epic evo has basically replaced the stump st.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for a slacker seat angle on the Stumpjumper or a new Camber because I can not ride the 2020 model because if fit.
    I have very long femurs and need a angle of 70į to 72įto ride one.
    I do have my fingers crossed that this is the year for a new bike or save money for a full custom frame.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    I'm waiting for a slacker seat angle on the Stumpjumper or a new Camber because I can not ride the 2020 model because if fit.
    I do have my fingers crossed that this is the year for a new bike or save money for a full custom frame.
    You'll be waiting a long time!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So as I said a few posts ago, I currently have a 2018 Fuse and I'm looking this fall to replace it with a full suspension bike. This would be my first FS bike and I'm having a hard time narrowing down on what I should be looking for, exactly. I like the feel of the Fuse, so that's a good starting point. I live in the Phoenix area so "rocky desert" is a good description of the terrain. Skills-wise I'm probably somewhere on the lower end of intermediate. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    I predict the new Status will ďreplaceĒ the current stumpy LT and the new stump will be a 130/140 bike. I believe the new epic evo has basically replaced the stump st.
    Interesting thoughts, and you may be right. I think the new Stumpy, although an excellent bike, is too gravity-oriented. Compared to the previous gen, it's more of a big bike that doesn't like tight gnar, climbs and low speed - IMO.

The new Epic EVO seems to be a perfect replacement for the Camber, or for what the Camber was meant to be initially.

The Stumpy EVO is closing up to the same market as the Enduro. The normal Stumpy could move "down" to being a fast and playful all-round trail bike - it needs to be more efficient than the ST, yet just as solid.

Not sure about the Status. I think it could be Spec jumping into the consumer direct-market to do battle with Canyon, YT etc. That would probably mean running it as a separate brand to avoid trouble with all the dealers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    You'll be waiting a long time!
    Well I feel you maybe wrong because I do work in a bike shop and we are having customers going back to hardtail mountain bikes because they are getting too down country for climbing and descending only.
    When outside of bike parks mountain bikers ride cross country and are looking for a lower price point than the Epic EVO and more playful.
    I'll stick to my hardtail mountain bikes and enjoy the way it climbs and rides overall.
    Life is about enjoying the ride and not racing every day.

Alive so go for a ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well I feel you maybe wrong because I do work in a bike shop and we are having customers going back to hardtail mountain bikes because they are getting too down country for climbing and descending only.
    When outside of bike parks mountain bikers ride cross country and are looking for a lower price point than the Epic EVO and more playful.
    I'll stick to my hardtail mountain bikes and enjoy the way it climbs and rides overall.
    Life is about enjoying the ride and not racing every day.

Not sure why that invalidates my comment about waiting a while.

In the mean time, you can look at a Polygon Siskiu, Scott Scale etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

But the Camber isn't that different from the EVO comparing the XL frames. It's slightly longer in the cockpit (reach up by 6mm), slacker (67 vs 68.5), seat tube angle 74.5 vs 75 - so the Camber was half a deg steeper. The main difference for me is that the previous gen bikes had setback seatposts which added about 25mm, don't know what you'll end up as an effective STA.

I know the issue - I have problems with fatigue on the '19 Stumpy that I never had on the previous gen, and guess it's related to sitting forward using my calves more, maybe combined with the shorter crank arms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    So as I said a few posts ago, I currently have a 2018 Fuse and I'm looking this fall to replace it with a full suspension bike. This would be my first FS bike and I'm having a hard time narrowing down on what I should be looking for, exactly. I like the feel of the Fuse, so that's a good starting point. I live in the Phoenix area so "rocky desert" is a good description of the terrain. Skills-wise I'm probably somewhere on the lower end of intermediate. Any suggestions?
    I'd say a Stumpy ST would be a natural step into FS from a Fuse? Both kind of burly.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'd say a Stumpy ST would be a natural step into FS from a Fuse? Both kind of burly.
    Why? I know the ST is a little more upright than the regular stumpjumper. What does that actually end up meaning in terms of how it feels to ride? Since I'm no expert, would i notice much difference between the models? I appreciate the reply, it's been hard for me to get down to what the angle numbers actually mean in how it feels to ride different geometries.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Why? I know the ST is a little more upright than the regular stumpjumper. What does that actually end up meaning in terms of how it feels to ride? Since I'm no expert, would i notice much difference between the models? I appreciate the reply, it's been hard for me to get down to what the angle numbers actually mean in how it feels to ride different geometries.
    It's not about the angles. The LT might seem sluggish if it's your first fullsus MTB, but of course I have no idea how you're riding your fuse The ST is slightly nippier, but also very capable - much more so than you'd think judging by travel.

I run my Stumpy LT as ST some times, it's more than enough for my local gnar. And unless I'm racing enduro or going for park days, the Stumpy is set up in high mode.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It's not about the angles. The LT might seem sluggish if it's your first fullsus MTB, but of course I have no idea how you're riding your fuse The ST is slightly nippier, but also very capable - much more so than you'd think judging by travel.

I run my Stumpy LT as ST some times, it's more than enough for my local gnar. And unless I'm racing enduro or going for park days, the Stumpy is set up in high mode.
    Interesting - with the LT chip in high mode the geometry of the LT is pretty close to the ST?

I really hope I can test both an ST and LT this fall once they start getting bikes back in the store. I don't really want to fork over several thousand dollars without being pretty damn sure about what i want. Wife gave the OK tho so one way or another I will have more bike than I'm capable of (ab)using

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In my opinion, just get the LT. Itíll be more forgiving, if your not as skilled yet in the tech and gnar. Also, you can always change it to the ST if you really needed too in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    I hope this will be the case. Would fit my needs perfectly.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Is this thread likely to be a good source of info when the new bike is announced, or will there be some sort of "official" thread instead?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have the same problem!
    At under 5'8", my femurs are about average for a 6'2" male.

I have to run setback posts on everything.

Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post
    I have the same problem!
    At under 5'8", my femurs are about average for a 6'2" male.

I have to run setback posts on everything.

Bob
    Yes I was just looking at a new bike from a different brand and worked out if I removed the Dropper Post and run a custom Titanium post it would work for me.
    It's frustrating when a bikes fit eliminates it so many modern bikes from future purchases.
    I'll have to stick with my HT mountain bike and keep my fingers crossed.
    Life is like a wheel, it just keep turning around

Alive so go for a ride

I throw poo
    Yes I was just looking at a new bike from a different brand and worked out if I removed the Dropper Post and run a custom Titanium post it would work for me.
    It's frustrating when a bikes fit eliminates it so many modern bikes from future purchases.
    I'll have to stick with my HT mountain bike and keep my fingers crossed.
    Life is like a wheel, it just keep turning around

There are winners and losers in everything. I'm 5'8" with the femurs of someone 5'4", short and steep seat tubes have made it so I can fit legs and torso at the same time, finally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemonkey View Post
    There are winners and losers in everything. I'm 5'8" with the femurs of someone 5'4", short and steep seat tubes have made it so I can fit legs and torso at the same time, finally.

I understand
    Your luck and I have to wait two more years.
    I can't say any more.
    Happy riding

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Any news?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Interested if anyone has heard anything from their shops as well. Spec dealers around me have almost zero inventory on mtb's at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon29 View Post
    Interested if anyone has heard anything from their shops as well. Spec dealers around me have almost zero inventory on mtb's at the moment.
    I talked to my local shop earlier today, they have at least something in their computer on all of the upcoming bikes from specialized except the stumpjumper. He said to check back in a month

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well that's a bummer. It's slim pickings out there. Was hopeful new stuff was coming sooner than that!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon View Post
    Well that's a bummer. It's slim pickings out there. Was hopeful new stuff was coming sooner than that!
    No kidding.

mtbr member
    What happens if you ride one with steep angles? I have a 2006 Enduro that has a 69 degree seat angle. Wheelie city! I much prefer steeper angle, but then I've got no idea if my femurs are long or short!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    What happens if you ride one with steep angles? I have a 2006 Enduro that has a 69 degree seat angle. Wheelie city! I much prefer steeper angle, but then I've got no idea if my femurs are long or short!
    Chainstays have got too short.
    So chainstays need to be a little longer and a 70į seattube angle and a headtube angle of 67į or close too and long toptube your end up in the centre of the bike with a stronger balance between front and rear wheels.
    I can see the future with 29" front and 27.5" rear may become more popular because you can run a higher BB but still turn in fast from corner to corner.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Talked to my lbs (Germany) yesterday. They are attending some Specialized event next week or so. They dont know anymore details yet. I let you know if there will be something new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yeah let us know, they have kept a tight lid on it, I haven't found anything on the SJ 2021. I hope they put the 12sp SLX on the new model (Stumpjumper ST Comp)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I can get on board with more shimano builds. Ditch the nx and sx sram stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I can get on board with more shimano builds. Ditch the nx and sx sram stuff.
    Agreed ! I am not a fan of SRAM at all! Have seen too many threads about problems with both those. Also my LBS mentioned they have had so many people come back with issues for the dereailleur bending, skipping, or just not shifting smoothly. They said they have been offering there customers a discounted upgrade to the GX higher spec SRAM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So my dealer attended some Specialized event yesterday. Apparently there will be a new Stumpjumper model for 2021. Itís all quite secret yet but they already placed preorders.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbandi View Post
    So my dealer attended some Specialized event yesterday. Apparently there will be a new Stumpjumper model for 2021. Itís all quite secret yet but they already placed preorders.
    About time... I'll have to stop by my local store and see if I can get any more info - hope I can get in early.

mtbr member
    Yep heard same. Called this. Nice. More the better...should be interesting!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Good news. Finally nice to hear something is actually in the pipeline vs just a gap on the website. Should make a trip down to my spec shop and bug them now haha.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Got another confirmation that the sizing is switching to the S2/3/4 style, also heard that they're a little longer and slacker.

Many grains of salt should be consumed with this information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Any word on travel numbers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Got another confirmation that the sizing is switching to the S2/3/4 style, also heard that they're a little longer and slacker.

Many grains of salt should be consumed with this information.
    Any mention of it being just a longer/slacker 2020 or a complete redesign like a baby enduro?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon View Post
    Any word on travel numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by island trader View Post
    Any mention of it being just a longer/slacker 2020 or a complete redesign like a baby enduro?
    Nope, nothing else aside from "soon"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I heard September and that the suspension design was closer to the Turbo Levo SL than the Enduro.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Local shop told me today that they expect a batch in October and then probably after the first of the year before they get a second batch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Local shop told me today that they expect a batch in October and then probably after the first of the year before they get a second batch.
    Any info on the details? Pricing, kit etc?
    is there an ST version?
    what is the travel front/rear?

with the Status doing 140 and 160...

It would be nice if it were like 130 rear and 130-140 front...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    Any info on the details? Pricing, kit etc?
    is there an ST version?
    what is the travel front/rear?

with the Status doing 140 and 160...

It would be nice if it were like 130 rear and 130-140 front...
    Not much detail at all, other than the S sizing and that price will be a little higher than last year which I guess isn't surprising given the market. It sounded like the geometry was perhaps a tiny bit more towards the EVO but not confirmed at all, just sort of a vague impression he gave me. No info on kit, color, anything. I gave them a preorder payment but it was on absolutely no info and I can get it back if I'm not happy with the actual specs when they come out; I'm planning on buying the comp carbon level 29", so somewhere between last year's $4500 and prob $5k.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Itís said to have 130 mm travel and three adjustments for different geometries. In Europe at least there will be lower priced (below 3000Ä) models available than on the current generation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    A 130-140mm Stumpjumper sounds money. I rode an Orbea Occam last weekend and was very impressed. Going to hold out to see what the new SJ has in store.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I talked to my shop on saturday. They had no info. They looked ni the Specialized portal and don't have anything orderable for the SJ or Status for that matter.

They didn't know about any dealer event.

They're a small shop. I don't know if they're not up to date on everything, being shut out, or not in a sharing mood...

As with most people., I'm a bit frustrated with the current bike situation. I was going to do some upgrades to my bike, then decided, hey I shouldn't waste my money upgrading and buy something new that has these upgrades 1x and dropper, along with current slacker geo... but can't seem to figure out what I want or how to get it in the current environment. Trying to buy though my LBS since i really like the owner and he's great to deal with on bike issues and to talk about bikes, but frustrated seeing such a lack of bikes there while it seems that some others can deliver bikes, maybe not the bikes I want, I dunno.

I think I'm buying a dropper and sitting another year out.

Class Clown
    A 130-140mm Stumpjumper sounds money. I rode an Orbea Occam last weekend and was very impressed. Going to hold out to see what the new SJ has in store.
    I wanted to wait but ended up ordering a M10 Occam, great bike!

mtbr member

Sumped

tough call. you can buy a bike but you'll wait for it. even doing the direct to consumer route is no real cost savings due to the tariffs. personally id rather just ride what i have now, wait and watch this whole thing pan out and play golf.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Been calling my LBS for weeks now as well as Specialized HQ here in Melbourne. Zero news about SJ 2021. Garrh! About three months ago, I was told by a guy from HQ that he thought SJ 2021 will not have the new frame, but it seems he was wrong. Happy about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igz View Post
    Been calling my LBS for weeks now as well as Specialized HQ here in Melbourne. Zero news about SJ 2021. Garrh! About three months ago, I was told by a guy from HQ that he thought SJ 2021 will not have the new frame, but it seems he was wrong. Happy about that.
    The new 2021 Stumpjumper is a new bike but working in a LBS we now the colour options.
    But have no idea on the changes!
    We have had to do pre orders with no information on them.
    It's on of the secret's so far.
    I keep an eye on Facebook because sometimes people post photos on their.
    With 3 plus years of designing it's going to be great.
    Time to go riding for me

Alive so go for a ride

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    My LBS just told me that they know when it will be released but can't tell me as they're not allowed. He did say October/November, that's all. Can't wait that long but I'm really excited about SJ'21.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I've adjusted my fuse for my son to replace his very-ridden-to-death rockhopper, so now I'm waiting... gonna be a long couple months.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    If only I can see the thing, I can manage waiting couple of months. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Well the shop that had the Occam I was looking at just sold it and there not expecting more till mid March! Back to waiting on the SJ. One shop I called tried looking up when they'd be getting the 2021's and nothing was showing in their system to order so he said there are most likely some big updates coming soon.

mtbr member
    I was told the announcement is this month...but couldnít get real-world availability or specs.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, if I was a betting man, I'd say announcement is this month but availability... who knows.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009

... and if we just ...

Well the shop that had the Occam I was looking at just sold it and there not expecting more till mid March! Back to waiting on the SJ. One shop I called tried looking up when they'd be getting the 2021's and nothing was showing in their system to order so he said there are most likely some big updates coming soon.
    That sucks about Occam my friend. Now you're stuck here with us, the home of patience

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was at my LBS today talking about SWAT stuff and the shop manager proclaim that the 2021 Stumpy will carry a 12oz can of beer in the bento box ...so we who wait have that going for us.

Class Clown
    some of the higher end builds like the M10 might ship out before the year ends, I have an estimate of November for custom build

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Does anyone know if it will be available in aluminium (preferably something better than SX and Recon...)?

mtbr member
    Only a few months to go.

Last edited by NZPeterG; 09-07-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    Alive so go for a ride

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    In most countries of the world the answer is Yes and Yes and that's almost all know.
    But I may said too much.
    Only a few months to go.

Few months?! Whaaaaat...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Sorry, had to delete the embargoed photo/info that was leaked. Very sensitive info. Please don't repost the photo/info. Just keep in your super secret stash.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Bummer! Any word on when the embargo date is?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Based on what I've seen here I'm a bit disappointed. Glad I didn't wait. Would be very keen for a shorter travel enduro layout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I did see the posts that were removed. The picture of the bike looks almost identical to the current model. What are the changes? I heard the suspension platform was changing but it doesn't look like it from what I could see. Also interested to know when embargo will be lifted if anyone has info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 412MTB View Post
    I did see the posts that were removed. The picture of the bike looks almost identical to the current model. What are the changes? I heard the suspension platform was changing but it doesn't look like it from what I could see. Also interested to know when embargo will be lifted if anyone has info.
    Specialized did state during the Enduro release that they could have achieved the same results with the current linkage setup, but there were some packaging issues. Maybe they figured it out? Bummed I didn't see the pics that were posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So, rumours are the bike looks pretty much as the current, just that the rear triangle, follows the same concept as the once in the epic/epic evo, so, no rear pivot.

For 130mm seems enough, though, I haven't seen those setups in longer travel bikes (not closing the rear triangle as SC does).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 412MTB View Post
    130mm of travel splitting the difference between the 120mm travel on the current Stumpjumper ST and the 140mm on the current regular Stumpjumper, similar to the LTD Downieville Stumpjumper.

Specs say it has an increased volume SWAT door and a 22 fl oz SWAT bladder. Between the bladder and a bottle in the cage you can now carry a solid 48 fl oz of water w/o a pack.

This build seems very trail focused. Fox 34, not a 36 or Lyrik and Fox DPS, not a DPX2 or a Super Deluxe.

2.889:1.000 leverage ratio based on 130mm travel and a 45mm stroke travel shock.

I got a head angle of around 66 or 65 degrees in powerpoint when I drew a line and made it parallel to the fork uppers & lowers.

S1 through S6 sizing. 6 sizes!

Short offset fork, steeper seat tube, slacker head tube, lower, longer, flip chip geo adjust.

Larger volume SWAT box.

Each frame size is tuned separately. Probably in the carbon layups and aluminum wall thickness.

Revised suspension taking into account what they learned from the Enduro. More anti squat for less pedal bob, better small bump and square edge hit performance.

Decreased frame weight.

Looks like the horst pivot is gone replaced by flex in the stays like on the Epic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just looked at the pics and from my quick view the bike is significantly longer and slacker even in the trail build. Purely speculation, but would guess 25-30 mm longer reach and at least -1* slacker. Most likely adjustable from 65.5>65. As others have mentioned the rear suspension is totally redesigned even if it doesn't look like it at first glance.

I spent about 5 minutes clicking back and forth from the Pemberton build current gen to the next Gen. With this build/design it looks like there is still room for an Evo setup at 140 or 150 travel and a 36 fork in the lineup. Figure 64.5>64 HA and a little more travel would give them a great lineup from EWS race bikes to AM to Trail/Enduro>Evo>SJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    With this build/design it looks like there is still room for an Evo setup at 140 or 150 travel and a 36 fork in the lineup
    you are right there is an Evo coming with a Fox 36 also. It will keep the FSR pivot system.

No info on the travel and the offset, but probably more than 140mm since it minimum 150mm for Fox 36.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by agisbert View Post
    So, rumours are the bike looks pretty much as the current, just that the rear triangle, follows the same concept as the once in the epic/epic evo, so, no rear pivot.

For 130mm seems enough, though, I haven't seen those setups in longer travel bikes (not closing the rear triangle as SC does).
    At first glance the 2020 and 2021's look similar. But it's very apparent when you actually look at the picture of the 2021, it's an all new bike. What I want to know is since they are now using flexing seat stays like the new Epic's, will all the bikes from Comp to Sworks be carbon like the Epic's? This would make sense if they are positioning the new Status as an entry level aluminum bike. The rate at which carbon is progressing and getting cheaper, I could really see this being the case.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Should one be worried about the rear triangle flex I wonder.

I throw poo
    Should one be worried about the rear triangle flex I wonder.
    Flex stays, in alloy and carbon, have been around for at least 20 years. I don't see any reason to worry.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    So what can one hope for in the area of 140/150 travel bike in the Specialized lineup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Link to the 2021 stumpjumper:
    it's already on the official website but in a different region, so it's not a spoiler!
    If you cannot access via link, you can go on to the specialized official website and change your region to China, then uses search bar to search Stumpjumper. It's already on there!

Link:
    https://specialized.com.cn/products/...32680233238591

mtbr member
    I spent about 5 minutes clicking back and forth from the Pemberton build current gen to the next Gen.
    I did the same thing with a picture of the current ST.
    It seems as if all the flex comes from the seat stays, with the chain stays and dropout area being pretty burly.This would make the new Stumpy essentially a linkage driven single pivot suspension system. The main pivot looks to be placed just a bit further back and on the exact same height as where the chain links to the front chainwheel. This should result in high anti squat throughout all gears and some rearward axle movement in the beginning of the stroke. The shock angle on the picture indicates there will be a good amount of progression as it moves through the travel. Other than that: shorter seat post, looooonger front end, slacker head angle. For me personally it's all I hoped for. Glad they didn't go with a mini version of the Enduro. No need for a complex separation of virtual pivot point 4-bar-suspension and short linkage driven shock on a 130mm trail bike. The cool thing with a simple design like this is, that the rider has a lot of possibilities to tune the suspension to his liking with shock setup or even a shock swap. Can't wait to see the aluminum version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie View Post
    Looks like the horst pivot is gone replaced by flex in the stays like on the Epic.
    So it's going to ride worse and be cheaper to make, I wonder if it will be cheaper than the outgoing version then...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So what can one hope for in the area of 140/150 travel bike in the Specialized lineup?
    Stumpy Evo

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Simplify

Thinks it hits suite-spot:

- Epic and Epic Evo is downcountry and Camber area
    - Stumpjumper is going back to the "roots" with sole focus on trail
    - Evo will be lighter Enduro
    - Enduro is heavy duty
    - Downhill is just downhill

Was looking at YZ Izzo, Ripmo AF, Commencal Meta TR before...
    If the its around 64,5 - 65,5 variable via flip-chip its could be my choice for trail riding for a future trail bike.

Got the S4 Enduro 2020 Comp and the XL SJ LT 2019 so I will give a try when released. My wife got the Orbea Occam which I believe is similar to the 2021 Stumpy.

:-)

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The alloy version will apparently still have the Horst link. The geometry is adjusted at the horst link. The Comp alloy will be around 300Ä cheaper than the Fuel EX8 in our neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanGnar View Post
    Link to the 2021 stumpjumper:
    it's already on the official website but in a different region, so it's not a spoiler!
    If you cannot access via link, you can go on to the specialized official website and change your region to China, then uses search bar to search Stumpjumper. It's already on there!

Link:
    https://specialized.com.cn/products/...32680233238591
    Dead link now... someone made a whoopsie!

mtbr member
    Excited to see the Evo version

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Wonder if the EVO will get the same updates as regular stumpy?
    Excited to see the Evo version

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can't believe no one took a screen grab of the new Stumpy before the site was taken down..... You guys are slipping!

SM

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    I can't believe no one took a screen grab of the new Stumpy before the site was taken down..... You guys are slipping!

SM
    Oh, we did!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Faith in your guys restored!!

SM

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Oh, we did!

Yes, thank you for not reposting the photo. It's ok to discuss but the photos are for friends and family now.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yes, thank you for not reposting the photo. It's ok to discuss but the photos are for friends and family now.
    Of course, they DID screw up and post it on the cn site already...

mtbr member
    Oh, we did!

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

I didn't get to view the screenshot, so my question is it a lower linkage suspension?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post

I didn't get to view the screenshot, so my question is it a lower linkage suspension?
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Thanks krel and mmckechnie. People were so adamant saying it was going to have the lower link suspension ala the Enduro. Now I see it was all speculation.

Paper or plastic?
    Nope.

So, no big change from existing SJ.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    So, no big change from existing SJ.
    Well they've ditched the Horst Link, so I'd argue that's pretty major.

Paper or plastic?
    Missed that part. Same as the Epic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    The picture is still out there on other forums, and the page itself (minus the images) is also still available with a little effort. Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    They did not ditch it, they replaced the standard pivot with a flex pivot. The amount of movement at that point is relatively small.

Paper or plastic?
    They did not ditch it, they replaced the standard pivot with a flex pivot. The amount of movement at that point is relatively small.
    Isn't the whole point of a Horst link to have the pivot on the chainstay and the wheel axle on the seatstay? I'm no engineer but it seems to me the flex is mostly engineered on the seatstay above the wheel axle.

I've only ridden one bike with flex pivot (a Yeti 575) years ago for a test ride and I hated it. It did not seem to have any kind of small bump compliance.

We shall see how it performs fairly soon. At least, it should be 1/2 a pound lighter than the current frame without the pivots.

mtbr member
    Are you sure? I can't see any pivot, the chainstays are pretty beefy. It certainly looks like a single pivot now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Frame weight: 2,250 grams (S-Works, Medium, with rear shock).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    For the life of me I canít find the pic of this bike.

Any intel on when these will be available?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    As far as I can tell, They just posted it on the Instagram page a bit ago. Itís a far away shot tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-0ce71a37-daeb-46d7-acf1-783fe6573752.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeandShred View Post
    As far as I can tell, They just posted it on the Instagram page a bit ago. Itís a far away shot tho
    That looks like the 2020 version (S-Works). On the 2021, the triangle around the rear shock is smaller and the top tube/down tube junction is thicker.

https://www.specialized.com/nz/en/s-...ext=93320-0302

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I couldnít find any photos of the one that was leaked. But zooming in on Instagram I couldnít see a pivot at the rear axle area so I assumed that it was a 21í anyone care to send me that other screen shot ?

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    That looks like the 2020 version (S-Works). On the 2021, the triangle around the rear shock is smaller and the top tube/down tube junction is thicker.

https://www.specialized.com/nz/en/s-...ext=93320-0302
    Same. I think this is not '21 model. This one clearly has the axle pivot.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Screenshot of the one that already was here

Stumpjumper 2021-3b07758d-59ad-402c-ac70-f04b6251f8a7.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Francis: Don't repost the photo.
    JSQ: Reposts the photo.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Francis: Don't repost the photo.
    JSQ: Reposts the photo.

The photograph in question was sourced from the official Specialized website. I fail to see why would it be forbidden. It's not as if someone posted their Stumpjumper fantasy 3D render.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Why would anyone not working for Specialized or an authorized agent not be allowed to post the photo? Unless MTBR has some agreement with manufacturers and would get slapped on the wrist for members posting a photo That was leaked by someone else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Specs say it has an increased volume SWAT door and a 22 fl oz SWAT bladder. Between the bladder and a bottle in the cage you can now carry a solid 48 fl oz of water w/o a pack.
    Is the SWAT "bladder" mentioned above something that would fit into the existing/enlarger SWAT compartment in the downtube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Stumpjumper 2021

Thx for posting the picture! No big deal guys, geez......

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Curtis Keene posted this on his Instagram stories last night so I'm sure its supposed to get out to the public. He's definitely on a stumpy but its hard to tell from the photo if its the 2021.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-ck-stumpy.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I was hoping we'd get a big reveal today

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JSQ View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B07758D-59AD-402C-AC70-F04B6251F8A7.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	1363217
    Hm... old Truvativ Descendant crank and what I think I can see not the new decals on the Fox 36...
    Hard to believe that Specialized publishes pictures with old parts on a brand new bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    Hm... old Truvativ Descendant crank and what I think I can see not the new decals on the Fox 36...
    Hard to believe that Specialized publishes pictures with old parts on a brand new bike...
    itís not a Fox 36, itís a 34.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ilco View Post
    itís not a Fox 36, itís a 34.
    Ok, if they make it longer, slacker and maybe also burlier: why should they spec the new Stumpjumper with a Fox 34?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    Ok, if they make it longer, slacker and maybe also burlier: why should they spec the new Stumpjumper with a Fox 34?

Because the above pictured stumpjumper is the 140 front and 130 rear version. It is longer and slacker but I wouldn't say burlier. It will be lighter with the new flex stay design. I predict the evo will also see a makeover and take over as the "LT" burlier stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    May 2017

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Haha. Indeed. C'mon Spesh. I even told my wife to keep checking Specialized_MTB Instagram channel for any news.

Who is up for guessing when they'll announce it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

All Stumpjumper bikes gone on german website (except frameset)!!!

I think they rebuild the Stumpjumper page for new models!!!

Stumpjumper overview site forwards only to the frameset currently.

https://www.specialized.com/shop/bik.../c/stumpjumper

Haha. Indeed. C'mon Spesh. I even told my wife to keep checking Specialized_MTB Instagram channel for any news.

Who is up for guessing when they'll announce it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

bahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    Lol. I love all the input about the Stumpy. They should do this or that or whatever. The best bike that can handle anything up or down is the rider plain and simple. But to say the Evo climbs better. Bahahahaha.

I've had this out with SalesPunk on PinkBike related to Fin Iles winning Crankworx on his SJ and leaving his Enduro at home. "If it doesn't look like a megatower it can't pedal". Don't try to speak reason to him

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I had high hopes for this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Bikes will be released in October. Not sure of dates but have it on good authority, new stumpy and evo coming.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I know, I was just hoping for some pretty pictures to drool over

mtbr member
    I know, I was just hoping for some pretty pictures to drool over
    The pictures have already been up, and then down.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The pictures have already been up, and then down.
    I have that one. I want more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Is there any chance that Specialized might introduce Brain Tech into the 2021 Stumpy? This is the only reson I could see them changing the design to single pivot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norbski94 View Post
    Is there any chance that Specialized might introduce Brain Tech into the 2021 Stumpy? This is the only reson I could see them changing the design to single pivot.
    I don't think so. When the Epic came out, they actually put a brain on an Enduro for one year (2004 SWorks?), but I can't really see a market for it outside of racers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks like there will be a release on Thursday. And a second bike to be released later this fall as well.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    Looks like there will be a release on Thursday. And a second bike to be released later this fall as well.
    Thank you. Can you elaborate a tad please.
    1. How trusted is your source?
    2. Any idea what the 2nd bike might be?

CheersI

mtbr member
    Thank you. Can you elaborate a tad please.
    1. How trusted is your source?
    2. Any idea what the 2nd bike might be?

CheersI
    Stumpy and the Evo?

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Stumpy and the Evo?
    I certainly hope so. Considering our discussion thus far in this forum, EVO will be an ideal bike for me.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    I believe it's the new road bike (Aethos) that will be released this week. The Stumpy won't be released until October.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast