Stumpjumper 2021 - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    So far, the "regular" Stumpjumper seems to receive mixed reviews, while I haven't heard or read anything negative about the Evo. For someone on the fence between the two, this facilitate things.

That said, I'd love an alu EVO !

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It seems like the non-EVO is aimed at a much narrower target audience. Seems kinda backwards as far as naming goes, that the regular SJ should be aimed at the widest number of people, but what do i know...

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Anyone know if the evo will be released as a frame only? Hoping they do so we can at least source our own parts and not have to wait until 2022.
    From my understanding there is going to be a frame only option for $2,999 USD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    From my understanding there is going to be a frame only option for $2,999 USD.
    I think there already is in the US ...my LBS showed me something on the dealer website ...it may have been pre-order only.

fraid of heights
    Anyone know if the evo will be released as a frame only? Hoping they do so we can at least source our own parts and not have to wait until 2022.
    Fanatik has had the frame only Sworks "pre order" up for over a week, (now the normal Sworks stumpy too), this is actually how I found out there was a new Evo. Was back to looking at the Druid, Ripmo or just a Sentinel frame update and I saw the Evo finally came in big boy sizes...

https://www.fanatikbike.com/collecti...32689144037422

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 21 Evo frame only option is on the NZ site but not on the US one (yet?).

https://www.specialized.com/nz/en/s-...ext=76321-0102

NZ$5500=~US$2900

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    It seems like the non-EVO is aimed at a much narrower target audience. Seems kinda backwards as far as naming goes, that the regular SJ should be aimed at the widest number of people, but what do i know...
    Good point, but perhaps it is harder to come up with a cool name add-on that means "less travel". ST just didn't sound that cool, especially to insecure men that don't want to identify themselves with anything shorter. But, maybe if they focused on faster climbing, lower weight, something like Stumpjumper Turbo? Stumpjumper Svelte?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ70 View Post
    Good point, but perhaps it is harder to come up with a cool name add-on that means "less travel". ST just didn't sound that cool, especially to insecure men that don't want to identify themselves with anything shorter. But, maybe if they focused on faster climbing, lower weight, something like Stumpjumper Turbo? Stumpjumper Svelte?
    Stumpjumper XC? Stumpjumper Trail?

mtbr member
    My understanding is that it may be a while before Specialized restocks. If that is accurate it is very unlikely we will see a frame only delivered anytime soon.

mtbr member
    I wonder why the bigger websites (pinkbike, vitalmtb) have not put out a full ride report.. usually when a new bike come out they have that ride report ready to go. Vital did put out a light review of the ride but not enough to make a decision on.

mtbr member
    Yeah kind of a dearth of reviews. For PB it's because they are going to have the stumpy in their upcoming field test.

I'm still hoping I can score an EVO. Will then build it trailish. Hoping to make it be my peppier, pedal friendly bike. Tires are probably my biggest decision. We have lots of rocks in CO to contend with.

mtbr member
    Just put a deposit on my new SJ Evo. If you want a bike I would highly suggest you grab one that is in stock now. Sounds like supply might be very limited for the near future. I used the "Find it Nearby" on the Specialized website to locate it.

mtbr member
    Not surprised. I've been working with a shop. Just haven't heard back and I've been busy but they know I want one. Emailed just now as I *do* want an EVO.

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    I've spent a lot of time reading and watching all of the Stumpjumper reviews I can find

Seems to be a pattern that I'm seeing.......

A lot of the first ride reviews, including those at the launch event(GuyKesTV, BikeRadar) are less than glowing, many pointing to a rear suspension that lacked a pedal platform and climbed/pedaled worse than the EVO.

Those reviews that have noted more time to spend on the bike and/or testing outside of the launch event(Flow, MTB-Mag, Loam Wolf) seem to have a much more favorable review- specifically as it relates to pedaling and climbing.

Is the new config of the rear suspension something that really requires more time/effort to get dialed? Are the first look/ride reviews too limited to give a good overall opinion?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've done the same for the Evo as I was very close to purchasing one. I found as I read through the reviews a bit a subtle subtext came through that although the '21 SJ Evo does indeed pedal better than before, it's still a soft peddaling bike.
    If EXT had already released their new air shock, and with their claims that they can valve in a firm midstroke support (on their current products) I'd buy the darn bike and just buy that air shock asap as a solution. Fox is crap imo.
    As much as I like what Spesh has done with the bike, a really good peddaling bike is of paramount importance to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've done the same for the Evo as I was very close to purchasing one. I found as I read through the reviews a bit a subtle subtext came through that although the '21 SJ Evo does indeed pedal better than before, it's still a soft peddaling bike.
    If EXT had already released their new air shock, and with their claims that they can valve in a firm midstroke support (on their current products) I'd buy the darn bike and just buy that air shock asap as a solution. Fox is crap imo.
    As much as I like what Spesh has done with the bike, a really good peddaling bike is of paramount importance to me.

Forbidden Druid best pedaling bike I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    Forbidden Druid best pedaling bike I've ever had.
    Respectfully that's not what I've read. Most say it pedals all right but nothing standout about it's pedaling in the trail bike class. That's usually dw link, Maestro type territory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The HP bikes all have significant losses in chain efficiency. It's a great compromise for an enduro racer that prioritizes descents, but not what I'd buy for a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I rode the 2021 stumpy pro today. I was super worried about how it would pedal from some of the reviews I have been watching/reading but after today I am not worried. The bike felt awesome. I only rode it on concrete behind the shop so not a true test, but even in full open mode, I was really impressed with the efficiency and snappy feel of the bike. I did not notice any amount of bob that would make me feel concerned it was robbing me of power or efficiency. The bike felt fast and stable. I liked it enough to put a deposit down on one. I ride a 2020 Tallboy now and this bike felt just as efficient to me as the VPP on concreate, only more poppy and lighter. It was easier to bunny hop. It was not as soft feeling as my tallboy in the rear but it felt solid and plush enough. That blue color looks better in person too. I am 5 foot 9 on a good day and was really surprised that the S4 size felt good.Stumpjumper 2021-stumpy.2021.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've got 3 rides in on my Sworks EVO in size S5 (I'm 6-2). It weighs in at 31.6 lbs ready to ride with pedals and Rimpact tire inserts. I've done about 6k feet of climbing on those rides and can say the bike pedals well -- better than I thought it would and beats the crap out of something like my YT Capra that I have ridden and cursed on the ups for 3 seasons. On longer days I always had to reach for my Ibis Ripley and now I finally have a longer travel bike that I feel like I can take on those big days.

As expected, it rips on the descents and still feels very nimble despite the pretty aggressive geo. I'm not a huge Fox fan and was skeptical of the DPX2/36 spec but it feels really dialed. I was expecting to potentially have to make a swap but for once I think I will keep the suspension in stock form. Overall, I'm happy and the bike has exceeded my expectations. It feels like a really fast/aggressive trail bike that I can enjoy going up and down vs. an enduro tank that I have to drag up the hill. Very well done Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    oh man conflicted. Called my local lbs and they have a expert of the regular stumpy in stock but I already demoed a ibis ripley and loved that. Ripley is also like another 3 moth wait. Spec and price wise though I think the stumpy wins though. Now if only they would let me demo it on my trails. I want to wait for solid reviews though I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    I've got 3 rides in on my Sworks EVO in size S5 (I'm 6-2). It weighs in at 31.6 lbs ready to ride with pedals and Rimpact tire inserts. I've done about 6k feet of climbing on those rides and can say the bike pedals well -- better than I thought it would and beats the crap out of something like my YT Capra that I have ridden and cursed on the ups for 3 seasons. On longer days I always had to reach for my Ibis Ripley and now I finally have a longer travel bike that I feel like I can take on those big days.

As expected, it rips on the descents and still feels very nimble despite the pretty aggressive geo. I'm not a huge Fox fan and was skeptical of the DPX2/36 spec but it feels really dialed. I was expecting to potentially have to make a swap but for once I think I will keep the suspension in stock form. Overall, I'm happy and the bike has exceeded my expectations. It feels like a really fast/aggressive trail bike that I can enjoy going up and down vs. an enduro tank that I have to drag up the hill. Very well done Specialized.
    How does the EVO compares against your Ripley, especially in climbing and poppyness?
    I am looking for a bike that can pop off roots and stuff. How does the Evo fares in that department?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have not ridden a bike that climbs better than the Ripley but so far I've found the EVO to be pleasant to pedal...it responds when you get on the gas vs. some bigger bikes where it feels like wasted effort.

The suspension feels responsive and I've been able to generate good speed pumping the bike down the trail. I sized up a bit by going with an S5 and the bike is definitely long. It feels great/balanced front to rear and I'm enjoying the stability and grip but so far I'm feeling more inclined to keep that long wheelbase on the ground vs in the air.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    I have not ridden a bike that climbs better than the Ripley but so far I've found the EVO to be pleasant to pedal...it responds when you get on the gas vs. some bigger bikes where it feels like wasted effort.

The suspension feels responsive and I've been able to generate good speed pumping the bike down the trail. I sized up a bit by going with an S5 and the bike is definitely long. It feels great/balanced front to rear and I'm enjoying the stability and grip but so far I'm feeling more inclined to keep that long wheelbase on the ground vs in the air.
    Thanks! this is great help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    impossible to find the '21 SJ in Comp or Expert or even Pro in S3 in Florida. And out of stock at Specialed until whenever.

I feel the bike is better than my 2019 SJ ST Alloy Comp, I welcome the extra 10mm in front but not sure if I shouldn't just upgrade my SJ ST for now and hope to get my hands on a S3 Expert next Spring.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just put a deposit on a SJ Evo S5 Comp. (Melbourne). I think this might be the only S5 Comp in Australia. Even the biggest Spesh dealer didn't have it, but rather a smaller shop that sells SC, Yeti and DeVinci that became a Spesh dealer as of very recently.
    By the way, what is the deal (no pun intended) with the Expert model being much more expensive than Comp but the specs seem to not be worth it. Usually Expert comes with carbon hoops but this year it's alloy. Brakes are only arguably better (Code RS VS SLX)... so it is slightly better fork and drivetrain. Not worth the extra money at all it seems.
    Anyway. Stoked! Been waiting for such bike for a long time.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anybody know the weight of the Comp Evo?

Waldmeister
    Apr 2008
    Anyone got a picture of a S6 Stumpjumper?
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by igz View Post
    I just put a deposit on a SJ Evo S5 Comp. (Melbourne). I think this might be the only S5 Comp in Australia. Even the biggest Spesh dealer didn't have it, but rather a smaller shop that sells SC, Yeti and DeVinci that became a Spesh dealer as of very recently.
    By the way, what is the deal (no pun intended) with the Expert model being much more expensive than Comp but the specs seem to not be worth it. Usually Expert comes with carbon hoops but this year it's alloy. Brakes are only arguably better (Code RS VS SLX)... so it is slightly better fork and drivetrain. Not worth the extra money at all it seems.
    Anyway. Stoked! Been waiting for such bike for a long time.
    If Oz specs are the same as the US, having grip2 in the 36 and a dpx2 elite vs just the performance version is a huge difference in terms of suspension. Grip2 damper alone is almost 400usd, you got much more adj. the shock, plus a higher tier sram shifter will be smoother. Brakes are personal pref, as I love Shimano and hate sram.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    I've been really torn trying to decide what direction I wanted to go with this.....

The trails I ride tends towards super rocky, tight, out and back type set ups. Descents are short and whatever goes down has to come back up anyway. Its rare to fine a long flat portion of single track to pedal through, its a constant back and forth between short drops and quick ups. Some of the trails mix in fire roads for 2-3 miles while others are all slow speed single track

I'm riding a 2019 SJ Expert 29er- it feels great going down- plenty composed for what I do, but at the same time can feel pretty heavy and tank like on those fire roads and maneuvering around the tight spots. I'd love something more efficient and a little livelier in most cases, not to mention something with a lighter feel.

I've been really considering the Epic EVO, thinking it'll be more nimble and efficient with the geo and suspension set up, the weight savings should help with the overall effort as well. But where is the line between too right and just right. I know the tire spec isn't up for the conditions I face, and its def not as burly a build as the other options, but would it be enough

Then they release new SJ EVO, the reviews have been good and a lot of them are impressed with the pedaling and climbing- but its still a 150mm bike with burly components and a weight to match. Realistically overkill for my riding and does nothing to address the things I would want to improve on, but the adjustability and all round possibilities really got me thinking.

Finally the SJ is released and it looks intriguing. Lighter, livelier, still enough travel to handle the terrain, and from those reviews with a lot of seat time(not the launch event) some good feedback on the climbing and pedaling efficiency.

Its impossible to know which is really going to work out the best, no demos around, no availability for weeks or in some cases(Epic EVO) months. Wait any longer to get an order in and it could be next Spring before receiving anything.

So I pulled the trigger on the Stumpjumper Expert. I like the step up in component spec from the '19 Expert I'm on. We'll see how things work out with the Fox suspension which I've never ridden- looking forward to the adjustability and fearing getting it dialed at the same time. I can take the carbon wheel set from the '19 swap the cassette and use them on the '21. That will help bring the weight down even more and hopefully get me exactly what I'm looking for. Time will tell, until then(and who knows when that is) I'll just keep racking up the miles on the '19

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JTK37 View Post
    So I pulled the trigger on the Stumpjumper Expert. I like the step up in component spec from the '19 Expert I'm on. We'll see how things work out with the Fox suspension which I've never ridden- looking forward to the adjustability and fearing getting it dialed at the same time. I can take the carbon wheel set from the '19 swap the cassette and use them on the '21. That will help bring the weight down even more and hopefully get me exactly what I'm looking for. Time will tell, until then(and who knows when that is) I'll just keep racking up the miles on the '19
    Based on your description and history, the new SJ looks like a perfect option. It will be interesting to see the full reviews when they come out but in any case it will be a damn good bike for the right terrain and riding style! When do you pick it up?

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sonorous View Post
    Based on your description and history, the new SJ looks like a perfect option. It will be interesting to see the full reviews when they come out but in any case it will be a damn good bike for the right terrain and riding style! When do you pick it up?
    Waiting to confirm today......... hopefully about 2wks. Only have another month or so worth of riding here

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Waiting to confirm today......... hopefully about 2wks. Only have another month or so worth of riding here
    I would guess there will be a few full reviews out by then. If somehow they are bad, you could always pull out I suppose... First ride reviews are pretty common but it is odd that journalists had the Evo for an extended period but not the regular. Heck, Pinkbike had an Evo for 2 months prior to release! I think the more in depth reviews will be more valuable and potentially more flattering. This bike is evolutionary not revolutionary and Specialized has a lot of experience from the Epic and Enduro (and forever with the FSR) that they are drawing from...

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz View Post
    If Oz specs are the same as the US, having grip2 in the 36 and a dpx2 elite vs just the performance version is a huge difference in terms of suspension. Grip2 damper alone is almost 400usd, you got much more adj. the shock, plus a higher tier sram shifter will be smoother. Brakes are personal pref, as I love Shimano and hate sram.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app
    I almost replied and said the same thing, but then I flipped the Specialized site to Australia and see that the spec looked the same between the 2 models, but the difference in price was a "lot more"!

NOW... that might mean getting the Grip2 as an upgrade would cost a"lot more" locally anyway, so it might still make sense "big picture"? But if the US cost between comp and expert was $1600 instead of $800 I'd have stopped short and probably just got the comp and upgraded it...?

I get people liking shimano brakes over sram. But I'd think the code RS with the swing link from the RSC would be a better brake over the SLX...? But IDK... Codes are on all kinds of DH bikes, can't say I see that with SLX? But I may have just missed it?

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    I almost replied and said the same thing, but then I flipped the Specialized site to Australia and see that the spec looked the same between the 2 models, but the difference in price was a "lot more"!

NOW... that might mean getting the Grip2 as an upgrade would cost a"lot more" locally anyway, so it might still make sense "big picture"? But if the US cost between comp and expert was $1600 instead of $800 I'd have stopped short and probably just got the comp and upgraded it...?

I get people liking shimano brakes over sram. But I'd think the code RS with the swing link from the RSC would be a better brake over the SLX...? But IDK... Codes are on all kinds of DH bikes, can't say I see that with SLX? But I may have just missed it?
    Of course. Expert has the shock with better features and a Grip2 fork, slightly better drivetrain. With brakes... I mean sure Code RS are good but what I'm trying to say is that four-piston SLX are excellent brakes too if one takes look at reviews. I had two-piston SLX brakes and they were brilliant.
    Anyway, having said all that, for my money, paying extra $2,400 just isn't worth it. I'd rather have the bike now and upgrade bits down the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Of course. Expert has the shock with better features and a Grip2 fork, slightly better drivetrain. With brakes... I mean sure Code RS are good but what I'm trying to say is that four-piston SLX are excellent brakes too if one takes look at reviews. I had two-piston SLX brakes and they were brilliant.
    Anyway, having said all that, for my money, paying extra $2,400 just isn't worth it. I'd rather have the bike now and upgrade bits down the road.
    Where you at where it's a $2400 difference?

In America it's only a $800 difference between Comp and Expert.

That being said, if it was a $2400 difference I'd definitely do what you did and get the Comp... but at $800 the Expert is definitely worth it to me!

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009

That being said, if it was a $2400 difference I'd definitely do what you did and get the Comp... but at $800 the Expert is definitely worth it to me!
    I'm with you there. I can't see more than a $1,200 AUD difference here. It's a fraud.
    Here is the Expert:
    https://www.specialized.com/au/en/st...ext=96321-3101

Comp is $6,900.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    PSA - The Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9 just became available on the Specialized website. My shop does not know when they are getting them so I went ahead and ordered one. I really like the Black Diamond on my SJ so I am looking forward to trying the Gravity whenever my Evo arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Idea!

I've been really torn trying to decide what direction I wanted to go with this.....

The trails I ride tends towards super rocky, tight, out and back type set ups. Descents are short and whatever goes down has to come back up anyway. Its rare to fine a long flat portion of single track to pedal through, its a constant back and forth between short drops and quick ups. Some of the trails mix in fire roads for 2-3 miles while others are all slow speed single track

I'm riding a 2019 SJ Expert 29er- it feels great going down- plenty composed for what I do, but at the same time can feel pretty heavy and tank like on those fire roads and maneuvering around the tight spots. I'd love something more efficient and a little livelier in most cases, not to mention something with a lighter feel.

I've been really considering the Epic EVO, thinking it'll be more nimble and efficient with the geo and suspension set up, the weight savings should help with the overall effort as well. But where is the line between too right and just right. I know the tire spec isn't up for the conditions I face, and its def not as burly a build as the other options, but would it be enough

Then they release new SJ EVO, the reviews have been good and a lot of them are impressed with the pedaling and climbing- but its still a 150mm bike with burly components and a weight to match. Realistically overkill for my riding and does nothing to address the things I would want to improve on, but the adjustability and all round possibilities really got me thinking.

Finally the SJ is released and it looks intriguing. Lighter, livelier, still enough travel to handle the terrain, and from those reviews with a lot of seat time(not the launch event) some good feedback on the climbing and pedaling efficiency.

Its impossible to know which is really going to work out the best, no demos around, no availability for weeks or in some cases(Epic EVO) months. Wait any longer to get an order in and it could be next Spring before receiving anything.

I pulled the trigger on a Epic Evo Expert a few months ago for the same reasons you posted but it's just too "XC" focused. I thought about keeping it and picking up the new Stumpy Evo but decided to order the reg Stumpy S-Works frame and swap over the parts and sell the Epic Evo frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-epic-evo.jpg  

Stumpjumper 2021-epic-evo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've about convinced myself to pre-order an EVO Comp. I currently ride a 2018 Stumpjumper. It's an XXL so I was excited to see the S6 size. I've got a hardtail for XC rides. I ride FS when my route includes long and rocky downhill. As long as it pedals as good as my current Stumpy I think it would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I've just compared a few country's pricing for the Evo and dividing the Expert price by the Comp price you can see the difference:

US 19.5 % more for the Expert
    Ca 32.7 % more for the Expert
    UK 28.2 % more for the Expert
    Oz 34.8 % more for the Expert
    NZ 33.3 % more for the Expert

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    I've just compared a few country's pricing for the Evo and dividing the Expert price by the Comp price you can see the difference:

Yup. Thanks. There it is. The gap is the biggest in Australia at almost 35%. Horrible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post

holy moly....

mtbr member
    Soon my lbs will have so many bikes not sold they won't know what to do

mtbr member
    Picked up the s-works frame today in grey. I also have a new Evil Following v3 so I am doing a comparison and keeping one of them.

mtbr member
    Nice post some pics here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Picked up the s-works frame today in grey. I also have a new Evil Following v3 so I am doing a comparison and keeping one of them.
    So looking forward to your review. Was exactly cross shopping these 2 bikes. Geo on the new stumpy makes the follow look super conservative. Curious how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudare69 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Epic Evo Expert a few months ago for the same reasons you posted but it's just too "XC" focused. I thought about keeping it and picking up the new Stumpy Evo but decided to order the reg Stumpy S-Works frame and swap over the parts and sell the Epic Evo frame
    I got my Epic Evo Expert in August and am in the same boat. Love how it feels, but would like more squish and that stumpy sworks frame seems to be exactly what I want.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    EVO Comp S5, three rides in and I can't believe I lasted as long on the regular 2019 stumpjumper as I did. this bike is incredible. the leverage curve is vastly improved. it climbs so much better. feels faster accelerating, everything is just better. the front end grip in corners is so good. prob the combo of the T9 rubber and the geometry but i can just lean on the front and completely trust it.

I'm 6'3" and could definitely get away with a 190 post and it wouldn't drop too low (I like the lowest position just above my knees). I honestly could have gone with an S6 but like the balance of playfulness and stability that the S5 brings. and i never run more than one dual sus bike. photo here is from a mildly technical xc ride I do several times a week. the super slow awkward stuff was different with the longer wheelbase but the snappiness on the pedals helps a ton for some of the moves.

definitely wish they hadn't spec'd 35mm bars but I swapped for my Diety 31.8 setup and it feels much better.

Stumpjumper 2021-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Yup. Thanks. There it is. The gap is the biggest in Australia at almost 35%. Horrible.
    That almost makes me feel better. My newest bike has doubled in price in six years. Not quite apples vs apples as Specialized don't make a carbon Enduro anymore. But is that the same in the US?
    My 2014 Enduro Comp was $4500NZD now a 2020 Enduro Comp is $7500.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    EVO Comp S5, three rides in and I can't believe I lasted as long on the regular 2019 stumpjumper as I did. this bike is incredible. the leverage curve is vastly improved. it climbs so much better. feels faster accelerating, everything is just better. the front end grip in corners is so good. prob the combo of the T9 rubber and the geometry but i can just lean on the front and completely trust it.

I'm 6'3" and could definitely get away with a 190 post and it wouldn't drop too low (I like the lowest position just above my knees). I honestly could have gone with an S6 but like the balance of playfulness and stability that the S5 brings. and i never run more than one dual sus bike. photo here is from a mildly technical xc ride I do several times a week. the super slow awkward stuff was different with the longer wheelbase but the snappiness on the pedals helps a ton for some of the moves.

definitely wish they hadn't spec'd 35mm bars but I swapped for my Diety 31.8 setup and it feels much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	1371959
    Great stuff. Congrats! Great to hear that bike is awesome. I just purchased Comp S5 too. Delivery next week.
    I am assuming this is the Comp. If so, what is the weight on this bad boy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great stuff. Congrats! Great to hear that bike is awesome. I just purchased Comp S5 too. Delivery next week.
    I am assuming this is the Comp. If so, what is the weight on this bad boy?
    no clue on weight. just have a bathroom scale but already put 60ml of stans race in the tires.

it pedals light though!

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    no clue on weight. just have a bathroom scale but already put 60ml of stans race in the tubes.

it pedals light though!
    Haha. Thanks. I only have the bathroom scale too. My guess is about 31lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

That's the gloss clay color? It looks white on the Spesh site. Yours actually looks like a clay/pinkish color. Interesting

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    So looking forward to your review. Was exactly cross shopping these 2 bikes. Geo on the new stumpy makes the follow look super conservative. Curious how they compare.

I too am curious to what you think after riding both bikes. I have the Following V3 now and I have the S-Works SJ frame on order in the Oak Green color way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by navigatn View Post
    That's the gloss clay color? It looks white on the Spesh site. Yours actually looks like a clay/pinkish color. Interesting
    it is several colors. pink, purplish, light mauve. depends on the light. this was shot with some pre-sunset glow. it looks grey most of the time. as lame as it is, i bought it for the color. but i also never have had grip2 and so don't know how much better i could have it. the slx stuff is pretty nice, most likely better than gx. we will see about longevity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    it is several colors. pink, purplish, light mauve. depends on the light. this was shot with some pre-sunset glow. it looks grey most of the time. as lame as it is, i bought it for the color. but i also never have had grip2 and so don't know how much better i could have it. the slx stuff is pretty nice, most likely better than gx. we will see about longevity.
    That's not lame at all. I'd be willing to shell out an extra $2400 just to get the satin maroon color on the EVO Pro over the Expert.

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper 2021-dc077bf1-aaf5-4758-98d1-369321cef960.jpgStumpjumper 2021-f6ab4503-4666-422f-94a4-f0bf7637187c.jpg

mtbr member
    Stumpyís competition:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-a31d8163-ceae-445a-a75d-8ab1bd683a9f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Stumpjumper 2021

Name:	DC077BF1-AAF5-4758-98D1-369321CEF960.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	1372033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6AB4503-4666-422F-94A4-F0BF7637187C.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	1372035
    Love this color! Now waiting on you to tell us what bike to buy.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

Great info. Now I need to order one. I'm 6'5" so I'm definitely going with the S6.

I appreciate the picture with that color. It does look pink but I think it's okay. The only other option is dark grey.

mtbr member
    Hot. Cant wait to see the final builds. Nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Your post pushed me over the edge to finally order an S5 frame. They were available a week ago. Now they are not, sold out for months and not taking more orders.
    I screwed up by being indecisive.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Name:	DC077BF1-AAF5-4758-98D1-369321CEF960.jpg 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	1372033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6AB4503-4666-422F-94A4-F0BF7637187C.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	1372035
    Have you spent much time on the new Wreckoning yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    hello to all I leave you my video of the assembly of my Expert evo.
    my boss film and me I ride my bike good viewing.

from France

https://youtu.be/N4ZTW6GYU7k

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by spartes View Post

from France

Hey, I just watched this this morning. Awesome build. Now take it all apart and ship it to me

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is there any way to just order the Satin Maroon Evo Pro frameset?

mtbr member
    May 2018

So really more efficient than the old 140/150 model? You don't feel the additional 10mm of travel?

Envoyť de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    [QUOTE = navigatn; 15045809] Hť, je viens de regarder ce matin. Super construction. Maintenant dťmontez-le et envoyez-le moi [/ QUOTE]

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by spartes View Post

from France

NICE WORK! thanks for sharing. Great to see the smoke expert from so many angles.

If only it was an S5 and local...

Crank boots and bolt on fork fender getting ordered ASAP. (never thought of crank boots for aluminum, but my current cranks are all beat to hell in that spot...)

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If anyone in the USA has a line on a new or used '21 Evo S5 frame, please let me know here or by PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anybody tinkered with different HTA ? Is it really usefull or just a gimmick to differ from other bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've altered the HTA on my current bike from a stock 66, down to 65, and now at 65.4. And it absolutely makes a notable difference.
    Sure very slack angles make a bike confidence inspiring when going down, but I prefer right in the middle of 65-66 because the front tire has better traction at those angles.

I finally got, what I think is a new SJ Evo frame, for January delivery. I intend to run it at the steepest setting but will experiment with the middle setting and may even test the slack setting at AFBP.

fraid of heights

NICE! Throw up some more pics if you get the chance. Only "confirmed" S5 in the wild I know of...?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

The S5 has the 448mm chainstays. I'm inclined to credit that with the high traction on the front tire. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    So really more efficient than the old 140/150 model? You don't feel the additional 10mm of travel?

Envoyť de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk
    yes. much more efficient. shock doesn't need as much pressure as the LT.

mtbr member
    My custom Stumpy.

Stumpjumper 2021-img_9316.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    My custom Stumpy.

That is a remarkable looking bike...amazing. I'm confused though, I've seen the S-Works Epic Evo in that color, but not the SJ.

mtbr member
    Diggin' the green. As always - beautiful bike and build!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolky View Post
    That is a remarkable looking bike...amazing. I'm confused though, I've seen the S-Works Epic Evo in that color, but not the SJ.
    The green is frame only S-Works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The green is frame only S-Works.
    Aha, see it now. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Timeless.....Nice build. Lets hear how she rides...

mtbr member
    Just ordered my EVO Comp S6. Now to wait and sell my 2018 SJ.

fraid of heights
    My custom Stumpy.

Name:	IMG_9316.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	1372419
    That's just too pretty to ride.. might get all dusty and scratchy or something. Better seal it up in glass and just drop by and admire it every so often...

mtbr member
    Should be hung on a wall not ridden......

mtbr member
    I picked up my new SJ Expert S4 Saturday, "only" had to drive 3 hours each way to get it. I used the "Find Near Me" and that was the closest and it got much further really quick to others. I am 5'11" and the bike fits and feels great. I've only had 4 rides on it so far and am still tweaking with the suspension setup but it has been great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-sj-chewy.jpg  

So many trails, so little time.

21 SJ Expert

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    I picked up my new SJ Expert S4 Saturday, "only" had to drive 3 hours each way to get it. I used the "Find Near Me" and that was the closest and it got much further really quick to others. I am 5'11" and the bike fits and feels great. I've only had 4 rides on it so far and am still tweaking with the suspension setup but it has been great.
    IMO murdered out bikes are so sweet... Awesome ride!!! cool trail, is the skiny "next" to the ramp, or do you cross over the skiny from the ramp?

mtbr member
    That's just too pretty to ride.. might get all dusty and scratchy or something. Better seal it up in glass and just drop by and admire it every so often...
    It will only look this pristine for 24 hrs so it's good I got a pic

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymotox11 View Post
    I rode the 2021 stumpy pro today. I was super worried about how it would pedal from some of the reviews I have been watching/reading but after today I am not worried. The bike felt awesome. I only rode it on concrete behind the shop so not a true test, but even in full open mode, I was really impressed with the efficiency and snappy feel of the bike. I did not notice any amount of bob that would make me feel concerned it was robbing me of power or efficiency. The bike felt fast and stable. I liked it enough to put a deposit down on one. I ride a 2020 Tallboy now and this bike felt just as efficient to me as the VPP on concreate, only more poppy and lighter. It was easier to bunny hop. It was not as soft feeling as my tallboy in the rear but it felt solid and plush enough. That blue color looks better in person too. I am 5 foot 9 on a good day and was really surprised that the S4 size felt good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stumpy.2021.jpg 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	1371137
    So you felt the stumpy was more firm overall than the V4 Tallboy? Iím on a TB myself and am currently eyeing the new stumpy. Not sure Iíd classify the vpp as soft, especially not with the fox factory air can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    My custom Stumpy.

I'm curious how it rides with the fox 36.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    really confused about sizing. I ride a 2019 Stumpy ST 29 in L and feel its heavier and less flickable, maneuverable that I would like too at 5'11" with 64" inseam, but yes it tracks well and is stable.

I was looking at the S3 in the new SJ but it seems its bigger or same as the SJ ST 29 L when it comes to wheelbase, reach, is the S3 really more like a M or in between a M and L?
    Would the S2 be too small? I leave in southwest Florida so 90% of tamed single tracks at Markham or on the West, sometimes Alafia and Santos for the fun and vortex.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shenzi105 View Post
    really confused about sizing. I ride a 2019 Stumpy ST 29 in L and feel its heavier and less flickable, maneuverable that I would like too at 5'11" with 64" inseam, but yes it tracks well and is stable.

I was looking at the S3 in the new SJ but it seems its bigger or same as the SJ ST 29 L when it comes to wheelbase, reach, is the S3 really more like a M or in between a M and L?
    Would the S2 be too small? I leave in southwest Florida so 90% of tamed single tracks at Markham or on the West, sometimes Alafia and Santos for the fun and vortex.
    You have to take into account that the seat tube angle is much steeper, reducing the effective reach by about 2 cm. At 5'11, I would not go any smaller than S3. I'm 5'9 myself and would probably go for a S4 with a shorter stem, I feel the S3 would be too cramped compared to my Large 2019 LT.

mtbr member
    Bad pic, I know. Just got done doing some part swapping and dialing in. My Sworks EVO size S3 out here in San Diego. Got a quick first ride in this morning and wanted to share a few impressions.

• AXS- awesome. Didn't think I'd care about it that much, but it's darn good.
    • Reverb AXS dropper- that clamp and adjust design is great, smart.
    • Frame finish- gorgeous in person. Hard to see in some pics before in person, but the gloss over raw does that transition to gloss over gloss in the same area where the other colors have that straight line change in colors. Looks terrific in person.
    • Sizing- the S3 fits like a glove for me. I thought about upsizing to an S4 at about 5'8" but glad I didn't.
    • Stem- why the heck did they spec so many sizes with a 50mm reach. I immediately swapped my Tune 35mm over
    • Tires- the stock ones look pretty good, but I swapped over the new new Magic Mary Super Trail front and the new new Nobby Nic Super Trail rear, which are heavier than stock by a few hundred grams for the pair but I'm used to them and they work in our conditions
    • Grips- again, Deity is a cool brand but the grips are somewhat fat/chunky. Swapping them out for Ergon GFR1 Factorys
    • Ring- I swapped over an Absolute Black 32 oval because that's what I like. Also swapped the stock guide/bash for an AB bash since I haven't thrown a chain in forever and would rather have it lighter, cleaner and quieter. With the 52, I don't think I'd ever need/use that big 52 cog, was kinda surprised they spec'd with a 30t ring
    • Seat- the new saddle spec'd is pretty cool, but swapped over my Ergon
    • Protection- added a bit of clear tape which was included, but was pretty impressed about how much was already on it. Kudos. Had been thinking about RideWraps, but nope

Okay now some riding impressions, again, only 1 ride so far, going to apply some tuning and tweaks described below and get another ride in tomorrow morning.

• Geo- Bike feels very normal and neutral in stock configuration. I'm coming off a 155/160 bike with 65HA and 442 chainstays, so the 438 stock setting on the chainstay/bb adjustment makes for a quick handling, flicky, poppy bike. Super easy to feel comfortable on right away. For some of the steep, rocky local riding, the compact, stiff rear end of the bike felt a little nervous. For that reason, for tomorrow I will flip chips and run it in the low, which lengthens the chainstay by 5mm and drops bb by 7mm. Head angle at 64.5 feels great. Nothing lazy about it.
    • Suspension- at recommended starting settings, felt a little tight and stiff. Could be it needs some breaking in, but will drop the psi by a couple front and rear and will check how many volume spacers in the 36. Some tuning to do. Again, bike is poppy but composed. Spec did a good job on the kinematics and feel of this one.
    • Other 'stuff'- everything else is dialed out of the box. Codes with 200mm front and rear just work. Rise and sweep of the new bars feel good. Bike is very quiet, of course it's brand new. The SWAT box is giant. Going to see about putting my large Niterider battery in there for the crazy big 4200 enduro light I'm running for night/morning rides.

That's what I've got for now. I'd been waiting for this bike for some time. Oh, and fyi, never weighed it stock, which I believe comes in just under 31lbs, but with the part swapping I did (saved weight) and the heavy-ish tires I'm running (added weight back), I'm at 30.8lbs with pedals.

Stumpjumper 2021-20201022_154432.jpg
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt View Post
    Bad pic, I know. Just got done doing some part swapping and dialing in. My Sworks EVO size S3 out here in San Diego. Got a quick first ride in this morning and wanted to share a few impressions.

• AXS- awesome. Didn't think I'd care about it that much, but it's darn good.
    • Reverb AXS dropper- that clamp and adjust design is great, smart.
    • Frame finish- gorgeous in person. Hard to see in some pics before in person, but the gloss over raw does that transition to gloss over gloss in the same area where the other colors have that straight line change in colors. Looks terrific in person.
    • Sizing- the S3 fits like a glove for me. I thought about upsizing to an S4 at about 5'8" but glad I didn't.
    • Stem- why the heck did they spec so many sizes with a 50mm reach. I immediately swapped my Tune 35mm over
    • Tires- the stock ones look pretty good, but I swapped over the new new Magic Mary Super Trail front and the new new Nobby Nic Super Trail rear, which are heavier than stock by a few hundred grams for the pair but I'm used to them and they work in our conditions
    • Grips- again, Deity is a cool brand but the grips are somewhat fat/chunky. Swapping them out for Ergon GFR1 Factorys
    • Ring- I swapped over an Absolute Black 32 oval because that's what I like. Also swapped the stock guide/bash for an AB bash since I haven't thrown a chain in forever and would rather have it lighter, cleaner and quieter. With the 52, I don't think I'd ever need/use that big 52 cog, was kinda surprised they spec'd with a 30t ring
    • Seat- the new saddle spec'd is pretty cool, but swapped over my Ergon
    • Protection- added a bit of clear tape which was included, but was pretty impressed about how much was already on it. Kudos. Had been thinking about RideWraps, but nope

Okay now some riding impressions, again, only 1 ride so far, going to apply some tuning and tweaks described below and get another ride in tomorrow morning.

• Geo- Bike feels very normal and neutral in stock configuration. I'm coming off a 155/160 bike with 65HA and 442 chainstays, so the 438 stock setting on the chainstay/bb adjustment makes for a quick handling, flicky, poppy bike. Super easy to feel comfortable on right away. For some of the steep, rocky local riding, the compact, stiff rear end of the bike felt a little nervous. For that reason, for tomorrow I will flip chips and run it in the low, which lengthens the chainstay by 5mm and drops bb by 7mm. Head angle at 64.5 feels great. Nothing lazy about it.
    • Suspension- at recommended starting settings, felt a little tight and stiff. Could be it needs some breaking in, but will drop the psi by a couple front and rear and will check how many volume spacers in the 36. Some tuning to do. Again, bike is poppy but composed. Spec did a good job on the kinematics and feel of this one.
    • Other 'stuff'- everything else is dialed out of the box. Codes with 200mm front and rear just work. Rise and sweep of the new bars feel good. Bike is very quiet, of course it's brand new. The SWAT box is giant. Going to see about putting my large Niterider battery in there for the crazy big 4200 enduro light I'm running for night/morning rides.

That's what I've got for now. I'd been waiting for this bike for some time. Oh, and fyi, never weighed it stock, which I believe comes in just under 31lbs, but with the part swapping I did (saved weight) and the heavy-ish tires I'm running (added weight back), I'm at 30.8lbs with pedals.

Name:	20201022_154432.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	1372653
    Bike looks awesome

mtbr member
    Nice Noshirt. I recommend just doing a lower leg service on the fork right away. Every new Fox fork I've seen benefits from it big time. They don't soak the foam rings in oil nearly enough and there is way too much slick honey on the air spring.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I could use some help on sizing. Thinking about reserving a 2021 SJ and am torn between S5 and S6. I'm 6'4" and coming from a 2017 SC Bronson XL. The online sizing tool recommends S6 based on my measurements. I just don't want the bike to feel too big. Should I stick with the S6 or go "down" to the S5? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutombo View Post
    I could use some help on sizing. Thinking about reserving a 2021 SJ and am torn between S5 and S6. I'm 6'4" and coming from a 2017 SC Bronson XL. The online sizing tool recommends S6 based on my measurements. I just don't want the bike to feel too big. Should I stick with the S6 or go "down" to the S5? Thanks.
    i am 6'3" and could have gone with the S6 but went with the S5. it really comes down to the types of trails you ride and you style/preferences. i wanted a nimble do it all bike as my only full-sus and felt the S5 was the ticket. i don't ride lifts anymore and ride a fair amount of tech and alot of natural high alpine trails. thankfully i don't have any long fireroad climbs and my 5K days are always singltrack. if i had more park/machine made in my life the S6 might make more sense.

i am running 30mm spacers and 30mm bars on a 50mm stem and it feels great. gonna try some 40mm bars and drop the stem a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i am 6'3" and could have gone with the S6 but went with the S5. it really comes down to the types of trails you ride and you style/preferences. i wanted a nimble do it all bike as my only full-sus and felt the S5 was the ticket. i don't ride lifts anymore and ride a fair amount of tech and alot of natural high alpine trails. thankfully i don't have any long fireroad climbs and my 5K days are always singltrack. if i had more park/machine made in my life the S6 might make more sense.

i am running 30mm spacers and 30mm bars on a 50mm stem and it feels great. gonna try some 40mm bars and drop the stem a bit.
    Thanks for the help. I still ride lifts a few days a year, so leaning towards the S6. I can play around with the stem/bars if I need to shrink the bike a little bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 5'11" with long arms and legs (I was 6' before shattering my spine in an MX accident. Whoops.) and I ordered an S5. The S4 was dramatically shorter than my current L Foxy and I can't see going any smaller. I also wanted to experience the longer chainstays that you only get on the S5s and up.

I don't worry about the wheelbase and stuff. Fit is in the TT, the Stack, and the Reach. That's all I worried about for bike fit.

mtbr member
    Yup. I plan on opening the fork up this week. Last night I got around to checking the volume spacers, assuming it was running something in stock form. Comes preinstalled with one spacer, which I removed. I'm 145lbs so tend to not run any. Also, as expected, the upper was somewhat gunked, with a big glob of thick yellow grease on top of the air assembly. I suspect it had gunked the dimple and was not equlizing well. Seems like all the OEM fox forks have that issue. I don't think it's actually slick honey, seems thicker/harder. Anyway, yes, I'll open it up and make sure the 20Gold and 5wt are all to spec and the rings are saturated. I'm sure it will make a huge difference.
    Have a nice ride!

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Stumpjumper Evo 2021 Comp S5

Hi all,

I just received my bike in the box. It was set up by a LBS but they just had to ship to me.

Stumpjumper EVO Comp S5. My height is 191cm and with approx. 84 cm inseam.

I was super excited getting it out of the box and putting it together. My very first impression was how stout and robust it looked. This bike means business. Pictures don't do it justice at all.
    I haven't done any riding as I'm waiting for the pedals I ordered, but I just might change one or two things immediately. Stem and grips come to mind. I think I'd like a shorter stem... maybe saddle too, but I think I'll take it for spin first and then decide.

I must hand it to Specialized. The frame detail is top notch.

The only thing on this build I thought is very cheap are the brake rotors. We're talking cheapest of the cheap. I will definitely upgrade that.

As far as other upgrades go, I'd like a Grip2 damper and maybe a set of lighter wheels, but I'm sure that can wait a few months.

Reporting on the first ride as soon as possible.

Cheers
    I

Stumpjumper 2021-img_9032.jpg
    Stumpjumper 2021-img_9035.jpg
    Stumpjumper 2021-img_9036.jpg

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    Looks like the regular Stumpjumper(Expert S4) orders are already backed up to the Spring

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Where is everyone getting their information on lead times? Iíve been waiting almost a week for my LBS to get back to me on possible lead times for an SWorks stumpjumper frame in either size S2 or S3. So far no response.

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    My LBS has communicated the lead times to me pretty transparently- even on the Epic EVO and SJ EVO

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedropper View Post
    Where is everyone getting their information on lead times? Iíve been waiting almost a week for my LBS to get back to me on possible lead times for an SWorks stumpjumper frame in either size S2 or S3. So far no response.
    i've been getting quotes for a mid Dec deliveries on SJ EVO bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think the lead times people are getting are shots in the dark. Iíve had an epic evo on order since early August with an expected arrival of September, then told October, and now my LBS has been told March... My LBS is pretty upset with his dealer rep cause he also has other Specialized bikes on order that have all been pushed back. He was told, he wasnít even going to get one of the bikes because they had overbooked too many orders of that particular bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another thing to consider here with lead time is components. I have heard that the single biggest issue with bike production is component supply. The demand this summer was unprecedented and the component companies have not been able to catch up. For example, if Specialized does not get a shipment of derailleurs they can't ship bikes... I am not making excuses for them, just providing some insight into the state of the bike industry. I think more delays are likely...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did specifically ask about components being the issue and he said that he was told that components were not the problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    yeah, my LBS is burnt out with Specialized, they cant get any answer on lead time, they cant take any deposit because they don't want upset customers, Be it for a Diverge or a Stumpy or even a Sirrus, they are talking of March/April deliveries, maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The guy at my local bike shop who handles the orders told me that specialized is telling them the lead times are between two weeks and 90 days which makes it impossible to plan anything ahead so he's not real happy either. It's frustrating all around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Came to this thread to see what lead times are because I'm looking for a possible substitute for my Transition Spur frame which I ordered in July and likely won't get until December or January. I guess all frames are hard to come by now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Put a deposit down on an expert and my LBS told me mid-Dec delivery.

mtbr member
    IMO murdered out bikes are so sweet... Awesome ride!!! cool trail, is the skiny "next" to the ramp, or do you cross over the skiny from the ramp?
    Thanks! The raw carbon looks really good in the sun. It is actually two seperate filters/entrances into the trail. The jump has been recently added and the skinny was the original filter.
    So many trails, so little time.

21 SJ Expert

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper EVO Comp S5. My height is 191cm and with approx. 84 cm inseam.
    Great looking bike. I'm also looking to purchase either the Stumpjumper EVO Comp or just the SJ Comp, and was trying to decide between a S5 or S6 frame. I've been leaning more towards the EVO because of it's adjustability.

I'm the same height (6' 3" or 191 cm) but have a slightly longer inseam of 86cm (34").

I sat on a Comp Alloy at my LBS that they had in S6, and it fit me really well and felt similar to my XL hardtail bike I have. The S6 frame felt like the reach was slightly longer than my XL hardtail, but otherwise still comfortable.

After hearing about your experience and reading others on here who are similar in height, I'm now really interested to try out a S5 frame before placing my order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For those of you that have purchased your S-works frames, did they come with a bottom bracket at all? This is going to be my first bike with threaded bottom bracket, I currently have an older 2017 Stumpy with the pressfit BB and Sram GX cranks, will I be able to use my cranks with the threaded BB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    For those of you that have purchased your S-works frames, did they come with a bottom bracket at all? This is going to be my first bike with threaded bottom bracket, I currently have an older 2017 Stumpy with the pressfit BB and Sram GX cranks, will I be able to use my cranks with the threaded BB?
    No, the bottom bracket is not included. I'll let others with more knowledge on cranks and Boost chainlines answer your specific question.

In case anyone's wondering the S-Works frameset will include the headset, SWAT cover, side loader bottle cage (why it isn't S-Works is beyond me), large SWAT pouch, frame plugs if you're using wireless, seat post collar and insert (if you're using smaller than 38.6 diameter post)...and that's about it. Oh and the derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gomustangs View Post
    No, the bottom bracket is not included. I'll let others with more knowledge on cranks and Boost chainlines answer your specific question.

In case anyone's wondering the S-Works frameset will include the headset, SWAT cover, side loader bottle cage (why it isn't S-Works is beyond me), large SWAT pouch, frame plugs if you're using wireless, seat post collar and insert (if you're using smaller than 38.6 diameter post)...and that's about it. Oh and the derailleur hanger.
    Does it come with the SWAT bag for tools? and the water flask?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bk_mtb View Post
    Does it come with the SWAT bag for tools? and the water flask?

It does come with the large SWAT pouch/pod that you can throw a jacket, tools, etc. into. My understanding is only the Stumpjumper EVO comes with the water flask, as its storage compartment is larger than on the standard Stumpjumper.

EDIT: To clarify I have the standard S-Works Stumpjumper frameset.
    Last edited by gomustangs; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:36 PM. Reason: for clarifying which model

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    I am in California. Managed to find an S4 Stumpjumper Expert at a shop in Nevada. Picked it up last weekend. So pleased with the bike and how it rides. I was worried about anti-squat and some of the concerns addressed in several reviews online about pedal bob. Been riding with the shock wide open without any noteworthy issues. The bike is fantastic. Very happy!

Coming off of a 33 pound bike with 140 mm of travel. This stumpy is super nimble and really a pleasure to ride. I am quite surprised how well the bike accelerates when pedaling out of turns. Getting up to speed is quite easy. Power transfer from cranks to wheels is straight up impressive. Have yet to take it down any technical descents. There is a trail I often ride that takes me roughly 45 minutes to complete. I beat my record time by 7 minutes with this stumpy. Feel like i found a bike that has everything.

Very excited about this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It does come with the large SWAT pouch/pod that you can throw a jacket, tools, etc. into. My understanding is only the Stumpjumper EVO comes with the water flask, as its storage compartment is larger than on the standard Stumpjumper.

Ah yes roger that. I had the evo on the mind.

Still not sure when Iím getting mine. No eta yet.

mtbr member
    May 2009

I have the grey S-Works frame on order. I am also trying to figure out how the frame comes. I see you said it does come with a headset? I saw that the complete S-works has a 30.9 seatpost. Did they go back to 30.9 or is it shimmed down from 34.9? I need to figure out what size seatpost to order? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    I have the grey S-Works frame on order. I am also trying to figure out how the frame comes. I see you said it does come with a headset? I saw that the complete S-works has a 30.9 seatpost. Did they go back to 30.9 or is it shimmed down from 34.9? I need to figure out what size seatpost to order? Thanks for your help.
    Shims. They used shims and 30.9 AXS Reverb. Thatís what I have on my Enduro also.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Shims. They used shims and 30.9 AXS Reverb. Thatís what I have on my Enduro also.

Does the frame come with shims or will I need to get one for the right size seat post?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does the frame come with shims or will I need to get one for the right size seat post?

The frame comes with a shim to use a 30.9 post.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Time to start getting parts ordered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Pardon my stupidity, but are you saying the SWorks stumpy frame uses shims to run a 30.9 post? So what post size is the frame built for without use of shims?

I only ask as Iím considering putting in an order for a frame only, but I have 31.6 posts on hand. If I could run my current post with shin that would be tits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pardon my stupidity, but are you saying the SWorks stumpy frame uses shims to run a 30.9 post? So what post size is the frame built for without use of shims?

I only ask as Iím considering putting in an order for a frame only, but I have 31.6 posts on hand. If I could run my current post with shin that would be tits.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
    Great looking bike. I'm also looking to purchase either the Stumpjumper EVO Comp or just the SJ Comp, and was trying to decide between a S5 or S6 frame. I've been leaning more towards the EVO because of it's adjustability.

I'm the same height (6' 3" or 191 cm) but have a slightly longer inseam of 86cm (34").

I sat on a Comp Alloy at my LBS that they had in S6, and it fit me really well and felt similar to my XL hardtail bike I have. The S6 frame felt like the reach was slightly longer than my XL hardtail, but otherwise still comfortable.

After hearing about your experience and reading others on here who are similar in height, I'm now really interested to try out a S5 frame before placing my order.
    This S5 fits me perfectly. In fact, I'd like a 10mm shorter stem - 40mm instead of 50mm.

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quick recap on the S5 Evo Comp. (191 cm tall)
    Just had a minor mtb ride on my new bike. After few tweaks and setup, I can say that this bike is just superb, and to answer the age old question of whether this bikeóor some other bike with this much travel perhapsócan indeed be your one bike for everything, I say YES!

STA is excellent and this bike pedals great. In fact, I love pedalling this bike standing up. Something I had trouble enjoying on my previous bikes, latest one being G. Reign 2016.
    Just for a second there when I was putting the bike together I thought whether I'm over-biking it since the frame looked so robust, but now after a few minor rides I can say with confidence that it is a do it all bike. For me anyway.

Only thing I want to improve is my own weight. I'm nowhere near overweight but I have about 6-7 kg to shave off and it will be even better.
    Immediate things to replace/upgrade are the grips (way too thin for my hands) and the cheap rotors. Later down the track I'd like to upgrade to lighter wheels and possibly Grip2 damper but that can wait few months.

Happy riding peeps! :-)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry, another question on the frame. What size rotor goes on the rear without spacers? Im guessing 160, but want to confirm. I just need to see what spacer I need for a 180 rotor. Pics would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry, another question on the frame. What size rotor goes on the rear without spacers? Im guessing 160, but want to confirm. I just need to see what spacer I need for a 180 rotor. Pics would be great. Thanks.
    Sorry, not that far into the build just yet and I didnít see anything mentioned in the user manual. Hopefully someone can chime in.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On the carbon Stumpjumper frame can anyone tell me what size rotor will go in the rear without a spacer on the brake mount? Iím trying to figure out what spacer I need for a 180 rotor? Thanks.

mtbr member
    On the carbon Stumpjumper frame can anyone tell me what size rotor will go in the rear without a spacer on the brake mount? Iím trying to figure out what spacer I need for a 180 rotor? Thanks.

180mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by genghiskrhan View Post
    I am in California. Managed to find an S4 Stumpjumper Expert at a shop in Nevada. Picked it up last weekend. So pleased with the bike and how it rides. I was worried about anti-squat and some of the concerns addressed in several reviews online about pedal bob. Been riding with the shock wide open without any noteworthy issues. The bike is fantastic. Very happy!

Coming off of a 33 pound bike with 140 mm of travel. This stumpy is super nimble and really a pleasure to ride. I am quite surprised how well the bike accelerates when pedaling out of turns. Getting up to speed is quite easy. Power transfer from cranks to wheels is straight up impressive. Have yet to take it down any technical descents. There is a trail I often ride that takes me roughly 45 minutes to complete. I beat my record time by 7 minutes with this stumpy. Feel like i found a bike that has everything.

How tall are you, and were you coming from a L?

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Good job!

I was lucky enough to get a S4 stumpjumper evo expert and have about 75 miles on it according to strava. Im coming from a large 19 stumpjumper with a cascade link with a super deluxe and the back of this bike feels about the same. I would say the cascade link was more progressive but not by much.

The craziest thing about this bike is how it pedals. I've been on 5 rides and all my prs have been on climbs. My most recent pr was by 5 mins. made the flow job climb in las vegas in 46ish min and my previous record was low 51ish min. I have yet to pr on a descent but I've been getting a lot of 2nd places so the prs will come.

My bike weighed in at 31.4 pounds without pedals. After swapping carbon rims, exchanging eagle 10-52 for 11 speed (I rarely use the bailout gear), and adding a carbon 31.8 bar the bike now weighs 30.04 with chromag scarab pedals (not the lightest) and nothing in the swap box.

For people wondering about the stack height and room for moving up and down. The bike comes stock with 4 spacers under the stem and 2 above.

The bike feels amazing and I would highly recommend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-20201031_144229.jpg  

Stumpjumper 2021-20201103_124630.jpg  

Class Clown
    Must be nice to ride out there in the open, I'm always in the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by shenzi105 View Post
    How tall are you, and were you coming from a L?
    Just shy of 6'1"... Yes, S4 feels like a L from a Specialized perspective. I also ride a L size Fuse, and had a L size 2015 Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone know the inside dimensions of the SWAT hole in the downtube on the stumpjumper? I love the idea of the SWAT bladder in the Evo and I'm just wondering if an after market bladder would fit in the regular stumpjumper? I know they made the frame slimmer for weight etc but seems strange the EVO has a bladder and the regular doesn't when its made for longer rides etc. Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maybe one of these would fit in the SWAT space:

https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a2...water-bottles/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    More options...video gives good look at product

https://www.rei.com/product/129215/h...50001&store=96

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes that's what i was thinking. Wonder what will fit inside the downtube. Guess its the diameter that matters. It looks like there would be plenty of length in there as it seems the full downtube is useable. So good that you can fit an extra 22 oz of water in the evo just a shame it probably won't fit in the stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    Anyone know the inside dimensions of the SWAT hole in the downtube on the stumpjumper? I love the idea of the SWAT bladder in the Evo and I'm just wondering if an after market bladder would fit in the regular stumpjumper? I know they made the frame slimmer for weight etc but seems strange the EVO has a bladder and the regular doesn't when its made for longer rides etc. Thank you

The Swat bladder works in both bikes it's just a little tighter in the SJ. I swap mine back and forth between my two bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-bladder.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Brilliant. Is there still room for the swat case that it comes with to fit? Further up the tube? How do you find the pedaling efficiency compared to your evo? Is it noticeably better? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

This sounds great! Iím looking for a short travel bike with enough beef to handle brief technical sections but that runs well on fast, flows trails, maintains speed well and itís relatively comfortable doing so at the same time

my current bike is a 2014 Crave HT which is quite nice but beats me up on the rough stuff. I guess my question is how does your Stumpy feel at 80 percent on XC terrain? Is the riding position committed/aggressive?

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Just shy of 6'1"... Yes, S4 feels like a L from a Specialized perspective. I also ride a L size Fuse, and had a L size 2015 Stumpy.
    thanks man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    Brilliant. Is there still room for the swat case that it comes with to fit? Further up the tube? How do you find the pedaling efficiency compared to your evo? Is it noticeably better? Thanks
    Not much room left once you put the bladder in the SJ but if you get creative you might be able to squeeze a little more up high.

My initial impression after a handful of rides on both is the SJ feels a little lighter, maybe slightly more efficient on the ups but not much different on the flats. I have to run the compression setting in 2 or you do get some extra movement under load in the shock. If I run the DSP in compression 1 then the EVO feels more efficient. Not a big difference in the two when it comes to just pedaling. The EVO pedals great and you can run the shock wide open without any real issues with peal bob. Both bikes have very good traction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    new stumpjumper evo vs hightower2? can anybody compare who has ridden both?

fraid of heights
    Not much room left once you put the bladder in the SJ but if you get creative you might be able to squeeze a little more up high.

My initial impression after a handful of rides on both is the SJ feels a little lighter, maybe slightly more efficient on the ups but not much different on the flats. I have to run the compression setting in 2 or you do get some extra movement under load in the shock. If I run the DSP in compression 1 then the EVO feels more efficient. Not a big difference in the two when it comes to just pedaling. The EVO pedals great and you can run the shock wide open without any real issues with peal bob. Both bikes have very good traction.
    Sorry, if you run the DSP in compression 1 the EVO feels more efficient? What does that refer to?

Is that the DPX in "open" the EVO is more efficient? (is position 1 open or closed? either way I'm surprised the EVO is more efficient in any shock setting? It obviously pedals well, just seems like everything about the new 130mm stumpy should pedal better??? weird...)

Thanks! And sorry if I'm just missing the obvious here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hi all,

how is the regular (alloy) stumpy for more mellow trail riding? I live in the north of belgium so only hills here and not a lot of very techy stuff. Thank you for letting me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    new stumpjumper evo vs hightower2? can anybody compare who has ridden both?
    I posted a quick comparison of the two earlier in this thread. Both are very nice bikes! The Stumpy suspension feels much better in my opinion. Better small bump sensitivity and much more planted on rougher terrain. The HT2 is awesome on straight downhills but doesnít feel nearly as nimble as the stumpy. Pedaling wise, I think theyíre both pretty similar. Happy to answer any questions.

mtbr member
    Took a quick spin on my buddy's SJ last night. Bike felt really good, like really good. Perfect trail bike for our trails here. People mentioned pedal bob, but it was pretty easy to tune out with a few clicks of rebound. He picked up an Expert build and weight was 29.6 on my scale. He is mounting up some Renthal carbon bars and a new stem which should drop at least 1/2 lb. Overall really impressed.

mtbr member
    I should have a some bike porn in a couple days. My S-Works stumpy just showed up at the shop!Stumpjumper 2021-img_0973.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Took a quick spin on my buddy's SJ last night. Bike felt really good, like really good. Perfect trail bike for our trails here. People mentioned pedal bob, but it was pretty easy to tune out with a few clicks of rebound. He picked up an Expert build and weight was 29.6 on my scale. He is mounting up some Renthal carbon bars and a new stem which should drop at least 1/2 lb. Overall really impressed.
    Having limited time on both are you still happy with the Evo purchase or do you think the regular Stumpy would have covered your needs?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Having limited time on both are you still happy with the Evo purchase or do you think the regular Stumpy would have covered your needs?
    Evo is definitely a better fit for my riding. I could get by with the SJ, but 130 travel with an inline shock would get overwhelmed quickly. I have been thinking lately of doing more XC style distance rides lately where the SJ would be a better fit, but the Evo will work there just not as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The SJ is pretty underrated IMO, the EVO seems to get all the press. I have a 36 on mine and the bike rips. It is super fun to ride as it responds to all the subtle input you give it. I like riding it more than the EVO on a lot of trails as long as you stay within it's limits.

16EnduroSW
    Nov 2020
    Demo'd the new Enduro in Moab and Sedona and I can't get that rear end movement out of my mind. The bike was crazy.

The SJ Evo videos talked about a little of this backward movement supposedly being in the SJ's also.

Whats the deal? Can you feel that at all?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone tried a DHX2 coil on the new Ď21 Stumpy EVO? Hoping the stock DPX2 will be enough but always loved the adjustability of the Float X2 and coil also. Concerned the air can on the Float X2 will hit the side arm. Coil should clear fine but have had friends snap their coil shock rod on Ď19 Stumpys.

mtbr member
    The SJ is pretty underrated IMO, the EVO seems to get all the press. I have a 36 on mine and the bike rips. It is super fun to ride as it responds to all the subtle input you give it. I like riding it more than the EVO on a lot of trails as long as you stay within it's limits.
    What trails around Sedona push those limits?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    it's funny none of the commercial SJ reviews had any commentary on brake jack, positive or negative. nothing attributed to the deletion of the horst link outside of increased stiffness. as if the omission of the most-utilized and copied kinematic feature in the history of FS MTB is completely un-notable.

"...They also said that they've worked to make the alloy, Horst Link Stumpys ride similar to the single-pivot carbon Stumpys..."

HUH?! Marketing is king in 2020....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j4m3z420 View Post
    Anyone tried a DHX2 coil on the new Ď21 Stumpy EVO? Hoping the stock DPX2 will be enough but always loved the adjustability of the Float X2 and coil also. Concerned the air can on the Float X2 will hit the side arm. Coil should clear fine but have had friends snap their coil shock rod on Ď19 Stumpys.
    Im running a 2021 DHX2 on the EVO and it's a big upgrade over the stock DPX2 imo.

mtbr member
    What trails around Sedona push those limits?
    A lot of trails / alt lines if ridden aggressively can push the limits of the Stumpjumper. Hiline, Scorpion, Pyramid, Brewer, Ridge just to name a few.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider33 View Post
    Base alloy looks good, but I am disappointed in the SX Eagle and Tektro brakes, considering they bumped the price to $2200
    I wish I had realized how bad the SX derailleur was when I bought my Stumpy (alloy base) a month ago. I had some minor shifting performance issues after a couple of rides, so I adjusted the derailleur, made sure the limits were properly set, etc., and checked it before each ride. The derailleur broke a couple of rides later with fewer than 50 miles on the bike, and threw itself into the wheel during a descent. The hanger wasn't even bent and as far as I can tell I didn't smack the derailleur on anything. The derailleur just broke into two pieces. So yeah, factoring in a new derailleur (I ordered a GX), chain, rim repair, spokes, rim tape, labor, and a chewed cable housing and gouges on the frame, the base model quickly becomes a lousy deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by splortchy View Post
    I wish I had realized how bad the SX al.
    The bonkers part is that Deore 6100 is both better and cheaper ​than SX Eagle, at least in aftermarket channels, yet SX continues to show up in OE specs. It's not even like specializes is entirely SRAM...they upgraded the Fuse comp from SX to Deore for 2021. Component availability issues aside a second, SX must be stupid cheap in OE channels for manufacturers to continue putting it on bikes in a world where Deore 6100 now exists.

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper 2021-3c2fb0d6-c0a5-463c-82eb-1bad650477dd.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a rainbow axs too but thought the copper matched the kashima and itís something different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by red92s View Post
    The bonkers part is that Deore 6100 is both better and cheaper ​than SX Eagle, at least in aftermarket channels, yet SX continues to show up in OE specs. It's not even like specializes is entirely SRAM...they upgraded the Fuse comp from SX to Deore for 2021. Component availability issues aside a second, SX must be stupid cheap in OE channels for manufacturers to continue putting it on bikes in a world where Deore 6100 now exists.
    The Microspline hub requirement for a Deore cassette is probably the rate determining step.

mtbr member
    A lot of trails / alt lines if ridden aggressively can push the limits of the Stumpjumper. Hiline, Scorpion, Pyramid, Brewer, Ridge just to name a few.
    I guess I was trying to ask was which trails would you rather be riding the Evo. Both bikes look awesome but for different reasons.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I have a rainbow axs too but thought the copper matched the kashima and itís something different.
    Looks rad. Enough ride time for some impressions/comparisons yet?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Both bikes feel pretty similar but the stumpy is a bit more plush and I like the slightly slacker head angle on the stumpy. The v3 following definitely was a bit more poppy but that could just be suspension setup. I did a back to back ride on a pretty technical 2.5 mile trail and I actually was a minute faster on the stumpy. Take that with a grain of salt because I made a couple mistakes on both runs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Iím curious about how stiff the Stumpy feels. Iím a bigger guy at 225 and looking for a new bike in the 130-140 rear range. The stumpy checks a lot of boxes for geo and build. Does anyone have feedback on how the bike holds up for a bigger rider? How about the pedaling platform?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBGV View Post
    Iím curious about how stiff the Stumpy feels. Iím a bigger guy at 225 and looking for a new bike in the 130-140 rear range. The stumpy checks a lot of boxes for geo and build. Does anyone have feedback on how the bike holds up for a bigger rider? How about the pedaling platform?
    I'm 200 lbs. and it feels great. Pedaling platform is best if you move the black compression dial to 2 as Roman suggested.

mtbr member
    I picked up an Sworks S3 frame in green to build up. It'll replace my SB100 as my mileage muncher for 30-40 mile rides with 3-5k climbing. I'll be running full AXS and a 1450 gram wheelset with trail tiresso the build should be around 26.5 pounds.
    20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Freehub Mag gave the 21 SJ a glowing review for climbing, the most favorable opinion I've read: https://freehubmag.com/reviews/2021-...ed-stumpjumper

mtbr member
    I guess I was trying to ask was which trails would you rather be riding the Evo. Both bikes look awesome but for different reasons.
    Trails that you can carry high speed that are chunky are more fun on the evo. The slower, tighter stuff the SJ excels. Longer pedal days are also better on the SJ.

Trail Rider
    Just ordered the oak green frameset. Communicated with Specialized rider care, said that frame is projected to ship late December. Will be a nice complement to my SL.

Was looking at an Evil Following V3, (which I was able to ride for a few days in Sedona, great riding bike) but weight and only a 3yr warranty is a deal breaker.

BTW, speaking of Sedona, for those of you familiar with the gnarly steep descent on Hi Line - cleaned the first steep section, no problem on the Evil, but promptly went over the bars at the start of the next section. Walked the rest.

Have previously cleaned that entire descent on a '17 Fuel EX (130mm rear/140mm front).
    Last edited by mlx john; 1 Week Ago at 12:32 AM.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Time to build up this sleek sled !!!

20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Time to build up this sleek sled !!!

Sweet!

Quick question

Does it come with headset bearings?
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Sweet!

Quick question

Does it come with headset bearings?
    Yes it does

20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I picked up an Sworks S3 frame in green to build up. It'll replace my SB100 as my mileage muncher for 30-40 mile rides with 3-5k climbing. I'll be running full AXS and a 1450 gram wheelset with trail tiresso the build should be around 26.5 pounds.
    Hey Skinnybex

Amazing timing on your post. I also have an SB100 with identical build - AXS, 1450g wheels and trail tires (Schwalbes 2.35, depending on the season Hans Dampf, NN ... and even Rocket Ron in rear)

I have an order in for an S Works Epic Evo frame but the Stumpy frame (exactly what you got) has had me rethinking.

TBH the Stumpjumper is probably way more travel than I need but itís a lighter frame than the SB100 by 400+ grams and I really wonder if a lightweight Stumpjumper build would be a better overall trail bike.

Any comparisons to the SB100 would be really appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Fork finally arrived so the build can begin! Stumpjumper 2021-5b16c4e8-8b55-42ab-84c4-48e725b21f28.jpeg

mtbr member

Stumpjumper 2021

Hereís my Stumpy I finished a few days ago. A mix of XTR and XT parts. Weight is 26.8lbs with pedals and bottle cage.

A good compliment to my Enduro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Hey Skinnybex

Amazing timing on your post. I also have an SB100 with identical build - AXS, 1450g wheels and trail tires (Schwalbes 2.35, depending on the season Hans Dampf, NN ... and even Rocket Ron in rear)

I have an order in for an S Works Epic Evo frame but the Stumpy frame (exactly what you got) has had me rethinking.

TBH the Stumpjumper is probably way more travel than I need but itís a lighter frame than the SB100 by 400+ grams and I really wonder if a lightweight Stumpjumper build would be a better overall trail bike.

Any comparisons to the SB100 would be really appreciated. Thanks!
    I'll get the bike built up tomorrow and get some rides in over the next 5-7 days during thanksgiving week and report back.
    20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Stumjumper ExpertóS3 or S4 for someone who is 5í9. Iím basically in between sizes. Go up or down? I ride a 54 road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streakor View Post
    Stumjumper ExpertóS3 or S4 for someone who is 5í9. Iím basically in between sizes. Go up or down? I ride a 54 road bike.
    Do you like big bikes or small bikes? If you normally ride a M get the S3, if you normally ride a L get the S4. My gut says S3 for the average person in your position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    Hereís my Stumpy I finished a few days ago. A mix of XTR and XT parts. Weight is 26.8lbs with pedals and bottle cage.

A good compliment to my Enduro.
    That bike is awesome looking! Exactly the parts I would use also..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    That bike is awesome looking! Exactly the parts I would use also..
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Regular Stumpy owners what rear shock settings is everyone running?

The Specialized Calculator app says to run 139PSI and 10 clicks of Rebound for my 145 weight which is crazy. I can bottom out the shock fairly easily with anything less than 160ish psi.

I am running 165psi which is about 30% sag and 8 clicks of rebound from closed.
    Open Mode with the compression adjust in 2.
    Factory volume spacer (.6)

The bike is a rocketship and so fun. No pedal bob whatsover with my settings and composed through fast rocky terrain as well. I ride in So Cal Orange County where our trails are pretty much annihilated most of the year.

mtbr member
    Got the Stumpy all built up but itís raining today so tomorrow will be itís maiden voyage. Built weight with pedals and bottle cage and multi tool and Tublito S tube is 27.38 lbs. My Sworks Enduro next to it is 34 pounds ready to go so this bike should be the perfect compliment. I thought I could hit sub 27 pounds but I donít wanna go any lighter on tires than I already am. Maxxis 2.4Ē Dissector Front and 2.4Ē Rekon DC rear.

20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    The perfect Combo depending on what you wanna ride.

20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Awesome! That red Enduro colour looks great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Im running a 2021 DHX2 on the EVO and it's a big upgrade over the stock DPX2 imo.
    Can you tell me what mounting hardware you had to get if any for the DHX2 to fit? Thanks

mtbr member
    My build as follows - 27.38 lbs
    Stumpy Sworks S3 Frame - Green
    Fox 34 Grip2 140mm with Kabolt thru axle
    We Are One Insider 27mm ID-28h-ultra light spokes - DT 240 hubs 54t
    Sram Guide G2 RSC with 180mm Rotors
    RF Turbine 60mm Stem
    RF Next R 20mm rise carbon bar cut to 760mm
    Ergon GE1 Grips
    Sram AXS XX1 Shifter - Rear Der.
    Sram Eagle XX1 170mm Cranks 32t, Chain and Cassette
    Sram AXS Dropper 170mm 31.6 shimmed to 34.9
    Ergon SM Pro Saddle
    Maxxis Dissector 2.4" 3c Front / Maxxis Rekon 2.4 DC Rear
    Shimano XTR Pedals
    Swat bottle cage w' EMC tool - Tublito S-lite tube, mini pump/CO2 head, 1 CO2, 1 tire lever and Stans Dart
    20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

Wazriley
    Sep 2018
    Hi Skinnybex,

I would be interested in what settings you settle on for your shock and fork settings, especially the grip 2 settings.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Skinnybex, congrats! A very nice build.

I'm think of building one with Pike Ultimate RC 2.1 (B4) 140 42mm offset. Has anybody done it? Do you think F34 is preferred?

It looks like with the Grip2 damper F34 is reaching the weight of Pike. But I cannot find out what the confirmed Pike's weight exactly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Skinnybex, congrats! A very nice build.

I'm think of building one with Pike Ultimate RC 2.1 (B4) 140 42mm offset. Has anybody done it? Do you think F34 is preferred?

It looks like with the Grip2 damper F34 is reaching the weight of Pike. But I cannot find out what the confirmed Pike's weight exactly.

Iíve seen a few reviews that claim the f34 can hold the stumpy back from its true capabilities. I realize I could prob never push it that hard but I did choose to build mine with the 2021 Pike Ultimate. I didnít weigh the fork or even get more than a front yard test ride on the bike yet. Hopefully soon! Ill get some better pics as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 2021-5aa2f3b2-078d-46c3-b0e1-8c3618032250.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I was able to put 40 miles and 4.5k climbing on my Stumpy the past day and a half and I really happy with the bike after making some changes from the first ride I did Thursday morning.

First off the real highlight of this S3 size Frame is how nimble and playful it feels on anything and everything from Flow lines to features littered trails and jumping is an absolute blast. This bike and specifically the rear suspension is so lively with the way the Fox DPS shock has been tuned along with those flex stays which is my first experience with that kind of rear end. I definitely notice the added energy-trampoline effect when unweighting the bike pumping or staying active while riding aggressive. This is the real strongpoint which makes it always engaging and fun no matter the type of terrain.

I rode all types of different trail segments from new school flow, traverse style bench cut, DH tech, Jump lines and some 4' - 8' drops to transitions and the bike performed really well never missing a beat as long as I rode consistent and didn't try to muscle the bike.

Climbing and acceleration was solid and definitely an improvement from any Specialized bike I've ridden before and although it's still a step behind my SB130 is both those respects the bike has that Fun Factor that I can't replicate on any other bike I've ridden since my old 27.5" wheeled RM Thunderbolt.

Where the bike struggles a bit is in the Stability department with the Chassis getting thrown off line more often when your trying to Charge through sections where a bigger bike with a longer wheel base and more active suspension both front and rear can just eat up those kinds of trails. Obviously this is an aggressive trail bike and not a full blown Enduro bike but thats what makes it so much fun to ride.

I never really felt the Fox 34 grip2 held the Stumpy back to much because just having the Fork 180 grams lighter than a Fox 36 does make the bike feel more razor edged which is what I wanted. All my other bikes have Fox 36/38 so I understand the pros and cons of running a burlier fork and in no way would I go to a stiffer chassis or stanchion.

So a few of my Setup notes from start day 1 to setup day 2. My ready to ride weight is 175 pounds. My intital setup was 83 PSI in the fork with Fast rebound Both HS and LS and a few clicks of LSC damping while leaving the HSC open. Day 2 I decided to add 1 extra Volume spacer to the Fork from the stock 2 spacers to 3 Spacers and I reduced to 80 PSI and the fork felt better both on chattery low speed jank and also in the Mid Stroke range while generally using 95% travel when I landed the 8' drop front wheel first smoothly.

For the rear Fox DPS shock I used 178 PSI and 9 clicks rebound from full closed. Also I ran the black 3 position Comp dial in the 2 position looking for a bit more support for on power pedal/climbing and those G-out parts of the ride. I always kept the 3 way climb with open except for a pavement section where I ran it in trail mode. For day 2 I ran 180 PSI and I wasn't happy with Position 2 on the comp dial and ran it in Position1 for all the big features I hit day 2 and I felt the rear end felt more compliant and pleasant while the bike still pedaled well. Also I reduced rebound from 9 day 1 to 8 clicks day 2 and slowing it down slightly felt more controlled without loosing the lively rear feel. I did bottom the O-ring on the big drop but it wasn't harsh and the landing felt smooth and natural.

So next ride I'll be adding 5 more PSI to the shock or maybe I'll need a Volume spacer in the aircan.

Overall the real focus of this bike is an engaging and fun ride feel on any type trail where having a lightweight and lively feeling package makes you wanna keep riding until your exhausted. The bike has it's limitations and thats exactly where a model like the Stumpy Evo with it's more adjustable and aggressive Geo and burlier Suspension package allow that bike to shine when Gravity takes over and the trails become Steep and Gnarly.
    20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    nice write up. when you say it gets kicked off line more, how is the chassis flex?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    nice write up. when you say it gets kicked off line more, how is the chassis flex?
    No it didnít feel flexy horizontally at all. I think itís primarily me being used to riding bikes with 1230-1270mm WB lately and stout suspension and now Iím on a much shorter bike than what Iím used to. But based on how playful and maneuverable the Stumpy feels on trail Iíll adjust and just start pre hopping and boosting over parts of the trail when Iím able and adjust accordingly.

20' SB165
    19' SB150
    19' SB130
    21' Sworks Enduro
    21' Sworks Stumpy
    21' Epic HT
    Pinarello F10

mtbr member
    My build as follows - 27.38 lbs
    Stumpy Sworks S3 Frame - Green
    Fox 34 Grip2 140mm with Kabolt thru axle
    We Are One Insider 27mm ID-28h-ultra light spokes - DT 240 hubs 54t
    Sram Guide G2 RSC with 180mm Rotors
    RF Turbine 60mm Stem
    RF Next R 20mm rise carbon bar cut to 760mm
    Ergon GE1 Grips
    Sram AXS XX1 Shifter - Rear Der.
    Sram Eagle XX1 170mm Cranks 32t, Chain and Cassette
    Sram AXS Dropper 170mm 31.6 shimmed to 34.9
    Ergon SM Pro Saddle
    Maxxis Dissector 2.4" 3c Front / Maxxis Rekon 2.4 DC Rear
    Shimano XTR Pedals
    Swat bottle cage w' EMC tool - Tublito S-lite tube, mini pump/CO2 head, 1 CO2, 1 tire lever and Stans Dart
    Hey Skinny, I recall weíre about the same height at 5í11Ē and was wondering why you chose the S3 and a 60mm stem vs an S4 and a 40ish stem? Love to hear your logic. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Hey Skinny, I recall weíre about the same height at 5í11Ē and was wondering why you chose the S3 and a 60mm stem vs an S4 and a 40ish stem? Love to hear your logic. Thanks.
    Curious about this as well, as Iím also the same height/ weight on an s4 enduro.
    That s3 stumpy is pretty small.
    Are you in an s4 enduro?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast