Strange problem, and awesome customer support.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Strange problem, and awesome customer support.

I ride a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, size small frame, with Fox Triad rear shock. Previous years I've rode with a camelback, but this year due to losing about 25 lbs over winter, I want to ride lighter overall and ditch the camelback, and use a bottle and small behind the seat tool bag instead.

The problem I have is that even with a Specialized bottle and bottle cage, the bottle interferes with the selector knob on the shock. The shock selector has three positions, up is locked out, down to the left is pro-pedal, down to the right is full open. When subjected to large motion of the shock, the bottle moves the selector switch from either downward position to the upward (locked) position! The risk is that I'll pop the shock on a big bump after it's worked it's way into a locked position.

I've looked all over the net for various solutions, none seem to fit. I can't mount anything to the top tube because I'm short and the standover height is just barely enough as it is. Behind the seat is my tool bag, in front of the seat, on the seat tube, is almost an option, but I'm afraid my thighs would rub, and I'd also need a side exit bottle cage. I'm kind of hosed on the problem until I can come up with a creative solution...any suggestions are appreciated, but that's not the reason for this post.

I'm posting this here to share with you guys the absolutely incredible level of customer support I got from Specialized on this issue. I call Specialized support and told them about my issue. The guy said the QC department confirmed this was a known issue on the 2008 SJ FSRs, and half way through the model year they changed the frame, moving the bottle cage mounts upward a bit on the bottom tube. They offered to replace the entire frame to correct my issue! Unfortunately they don't have any 2008 frames left, so my options became a 2011 Stumpjumper frame, but I'd have to buy a new fork. They also offered to send me a 2011 Camber frame, which uses the same 120mm travel fork. They even offered to buy me a Camelback of my choice as a workaround. I declined all three options, as I love my bike and it's geometry, and I don't care for the idea of a first model year run Camber frame.

So I'm going to try and resolve the issue myself somehow... but I wanted to share this with you guys because the fact that Specialized was willing to go to this extent to correct what could only be marginally considered a manufacturers defect is in my mind outstanding customer support. They already had my repeat business, but this certainly was the icing on the cake. Go Specialized!

mtbr member
    Are you nuts!? Take the new frame!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Are you nuts!? Take the new frame!
    My thought exactly. What is holding you back? seems like a no brainer

mtbr member
    Wow! Specialized has some pretty awesome support. Get the new frame. Sell the old fork. You're super lucky!

mtbr member
    Not to throw fuel on the fire, but you've got to be kidding me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    lol, I hear you guys... Trust me I thought it through. The 08 I have now is just barely small enough for me to ride. Both these other frames are slightly larger. I just dumped about $400 into my bike on upgrades, maintenance, and cleaning/tune up. I'm not in a position to spend money on another fork, or the $150 the LBS quoted me to swap frames. The 08 is also nearly overkill for the trails around here, another inch of travel is unnecessary. Like I already mentioned, I don't want a first year anything, period, end of story. Also, you're all missing the fact that this is a warranty issue on a bike that is currently only covered under the blanket lifetime manufacturer defect warranty. I can easily revisit this in a year or two when/if another more appropriate option is available. Until then, I'll figure out a way to rig my bottle up, and have a free frame in my pocket for later.

Specialized rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vrflip
    Like I already mentioned, I don't want a first year anything, period, end of story.
    i'm glad i didn't think that way when Google was an IPO; being the first to buy things has it's advantages.

btw Specialized rocks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
    i'm glad i didn't think that way when Google was an IPO; being the first to buy things has it's advantages.

btw Specialized rocks

An obviously ignorant and irrelevant comparison. Troll on, troll.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have you had a look at the tacx toa cage?
    I have an FSR expert 2008 medium, so with a brain, but the tacx toa moves the bottle up a bit with regards to the specialized cages.

mtbr member
    It shouldn't be that hard to find a bottle cage that will make the set up work

mtbr member
    but still you can't jump Specialized bikes! So i went wrong buying hardrock? No! That was incredible bike despite i ride 6" FS biks now.
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds good.
    Last edited by erichwic; 04-08-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    Huh? Is this English or Ewok? Specialized bikes do rock despite the Ewokese.
    Have some respect, dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That is why i went with a Specialized bike on my recient purchase.

Don't buy a Chumba bike because they have the worst customer service. They have a one year warranty on the original buyer and they will send you thru hell processing the claim. If you have a tough problem you can call the company 10 times, leave messages with the receptionist and no one will call you back. It is F up how they run a bussiness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Figured a couple of pics might help explain. As you can see the bottle/cage would need to move about an inch up for this problem to go away. What the pics do not show is that there is just barely an inch of clearance at the top of the bottle as it sits now. So I'd need a side exit cage after I found a way to move the cage up.

mtbr member
    Dude, just get the new frame!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Personally I would change the frame. the only other option is to drill two new holes further up and use new rivots for the cage. Downside this will be modifiying the frame and ruin any risks of warranty.
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This might work along with your saddle bag....
    http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Rear-M.../dp/B003UWLR8E

Or you could mount this to the top tub with the bottle facing downwards....
    http://www.amazon.com/Rixen-Kaul-KLI...2301033&sr=1-9
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp - Lyrik RC2DH
    Rollin' on 26's

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    This might work along with your saddle bag....
    http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Rear-M.../dp/B003UWLR8E

Or you could mount this to the top tub with the bottle facing downwards....
    http://www.amazon.com/Rixen-Kaul-KLI...2301033&sr=1-9

Awesome! Thank you very much! I'll definitely keep this in mind as an option. It's the only real viable option I've seen so far, outside of fabricating my own cage mount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Besides these, there also countless handlebar mounts for a water bottle cage, but I kind of think they are tacky so I wouldn't personally use them. They might be an option for you, however.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but the seat mount has a single and double cage option. It's a pretty neat idea.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp - Lyrik RC2DH
    Rollin' on 26's

On wuss patrol
    For this, Specialized offered you a new frame.

This is an easy decision for me and seemingly everyone else responding to this thread. Take the new frame. Bolt everything onto the new frame yourself and save the $150...not that hard with some tech videos and/or help from someone in the know with tools.

You say you have new frame in your back pocket for later but what if their posture changes? What if you actually want to take them up and they have pulled the offer for whatever reason -- change of personnel, change of warranty policy, economy tanks even worse, who knows?

The 2010 SJ FSRs used a 120mm fork and I don't think the frame geo changed for 2011. With your old fork, the geo should be fine. So what if you have another 3/4 inch of travel at the rear?

Read our lips: take the new frame.

***Edit*** I was thinking SJ 29 FSR regarding the fork travel. 2010 26" bikes used 130mm forks but, I don't think the loss of 10mm with your 2008 fork will be a cause for concern. Or, sell your old fork and apply the $$ to a 130mm Reba.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 04-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How about this outside of the box thought:

Do you use the blue knob?? If not, then just remove it.

Or if you do, cut it down a bit, then sand it smooth.

But, in the real world, I would take the new frame.

Members who have read this thread: 1