Sram XX crank in BB91- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sram XX crank in BB91

Looking to put a sram xx crank into my 2010 s-works HT.Thinking the gxp version might work,just need some kind od adaptor to reduce it to shimano size spindel.Anyone done this.The other option is the specialized crank but they are like hens teeth and i want to go 10 speed.HELP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You need the GXP press fit cups from Sram. That will let the GXP XX cranks work.

You can also get the Specialized cranks and run the XX spider on it.

Jan 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey fellow bikers,

Specialized is aware that customers would like to install Sram, or Truvativ Cranks on our oversized bottom bracket frames. However, at this time Sram and Truvativ cranks our not compatible with Specialized’s oversized bottom bracket frames. Specialized and Sram understand this problem and that’s why Sram makes a 10 speed spider, and chain rings for our carbon sworks cranks. Most local dealers are willing to order the S-works cranks, Truvativ spiders and chain rings at a reasonable cost, so customer can make this upgrade to their bike.

I would suggest exploring what your local dealer is willing to do, and see if you can come to an agreement. Hope this helps you guys out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Too bad there are no S-works cranks available. Also, the Press Fit GXP adapter will work... I've seen one installed on a bike with no problems. Still, counter productive to run an adapter when there is a BB30 version around. I have an S-works HT 2010 and I knew about the crank limitations when I purchased it, but I can't believe that Specialized put these out with no mean of running regular BB30 cranks on them. At a time when the industry is settling on a standard, Spec goes and makes something just different enough to be a PITA to make work.

mtbr member
    And most S dealers will not know about the sram spider. A call to their third party vendor usually results in chaos (in my case).. Sram spider and chain rings for s-works or lightning carbon cranks # cr2379 28T-42T. Quality had them as of Friday

hope that helps
    Last edited by diver160651; 01-25-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

mtbr member
    I agree with my fellow riders here,the specialized crank is not a solution because YOU CAN'T GET THEM.Believe me iv'e tried.Truvative spiders and rings are easy to find but the cranks are not.So how do i upgrade to 10 speed then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

XX Chainrings/Spider

Quote Originally Posted by diver160651
    And most S dealers will not know about the sram spider. A call to their third party vendor usually results in chaos (in my case).. Sram spider and chain rings for s-works or lightning carbon cranks # cr2379 28T-42T. Quality had them as of Friday

hope that helps
    The SRAM XX/Truvativ spider and chainrings for the S-Works MTB Cranks are availible from Truvativ now. You can go to your local bike shop (Trail Head Cyclery) and place your order for them. They are availible from QBP and from BTI now. The last I checked BTI was still out of stock on them, however QBP has them but they are going FAST! Dont forget to order your S-Works MTb Crankarms for them thought..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillie
    I agree with my fellow riders here,the specialized crank is not a solution because YOU CAN'T GET THEM.Believe me iv'e tried.Truvative spiders and rings are easy to find but the cranks are not.So how do i upgrade to 10 speed then?
    Lightning cranks should work -- they are crazy LIGHT
    Jt

Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    Too bad there are no S-works cranks available. Also, the Press Fit GXP adapter will work... I've seen one installed on a bike with no problems.
    We at Specialized understand that customers would love to run Sram and Truvativ crank on one of our oversized bottom bracket frames. However, our oversized bottom bracket frames use a shell that is wider than your typical BB30 systems which are out in the market today. Because of this reason, BB30 cranks and step down bearing systems like Sram GXP system will not work with our frames. The only current systems that will work with Sram 10 Speed are their 10 speed spider, and chain rings with our carbon S-works cranks. I know it has been hard at times to get a hold of these cranks; however, the best way to get this product sooner is to place a back order with your local dealer. If any fellow riders have any more question regarding mtn 10 speed drive trains, please feel free to contact us here at specialized, or contact Sram regarding 10 spd compatibility.

FYI: Hear is list of bottom bracket and cranks that are compatible with our oversized frames; however, I would keep in mind we are always pushing the industry forward, and this list might be up dated as new products see the light of day.

10 spd: S-works crank, truvativ spider and 10spd chain rings.

9 spd: any Shimano 2-Piece Front Cranksets and BB91

9 spd: any Race face 2-Piece Cranksets and BB91

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

S-Works MTB Crankarms

Lightning cranks should work -- they are crazy LIGHT
    Just wanted to see if you might be interested in buying my extra S-Works Mtb crankarms off of me? They are new and are 170mm. I also have the S-Works double spider/chainrings if you are interested. Just send me your personal email so I can get in touch with you. I live in San Jose, CA. They are in excellent condition and if you wanted you can meet me to check them out. Discuss price on your email or when we talk in person or on the phone. Saw you over at Trail Head Cyclery that one day and you gave me the CD of the riding at Water Dog. FYI..

mtbr member
    Send me your email or phone.. My email is [email protected]. I was hoping for 175's but if the price is right I would be interested
    Jt

mtbr member
    May 2009

Looking to BUY a set of S-Works Cranks

If anyone is looking to get rid of their OS S-Works triple cranks set let me know, I'm in the market for a set to put on my 2010 Stumpy Expert 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Cranks?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto575
    If anyone is looking to get rid of their OS S-Works triple cranks set let me know, I'm in the market for a set to put on my 2010 Stumpy Expert 29er.
    Are you near the San Jose,CA area? I have a set of 170 sw cranksarms and a triple spider/chainrings that came off of my EPIC.. The crankarms are in excellent shape and the chainrings have been used. Justa wondering....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Why can you not run 10-speed on the rear derailleur with any 9-speed dual chain ring crankset up front? The 10-speed chain will fit both because the inner width of the chain is the same anyway (11/128"). What is so special about this 10-speed chain rings and spiders? What have I missed? I think I even seen a standard (9-speed) triple XTR crankset matching the SRAM 10-speed rear cassette and derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You aren't missing anything. You can run most any 9 speed rings and it will be fine.

mtbr member
    just ordered HT sworks and looking for cranks.
    sworks crankarms look to go for $250 and the Truvativ spider (have it on stumpy) is $175. so comes to $425 all in..... am i missing anything?
    what i really want to do is try 1x9/10, anybody got any ideas on that for BB91?
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

mtbr member
    FYI, the HT s works bike is GREAT. i love mine very much. I got the complete bike for all the reason for this thread. I love the specialized cranks.

mtbr member
    You aren't missing anything. You can run most any 9 speed rings and it will be fine.

This is good news.I'm running a XTR crank 28/42 at the moment so you are telling me i can keep that and only have to change the rear to10sp.What FD should i use if i go 10sp(using a modified campag record at the moment)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08S-Works_Guy
    Just wanted to see if you might be interested in buying my extra S-Works Mtb crankarms off of me? They are new and are 170mm. I also have the S-Works double spider/chainrings if you are interested. Just send me your personal email so I can get in touch with you. I live in San Jose, CA. They are in excellent condition and if you wanted you can meet me to check them out. Discuss price on your email or when we talk in person or on the phone. Saw you over at Trail Head Cyclery that one day and you gave me the CD of the riding at Water Dog. FYI..
    08S-Works_Guy,
    Do you still have the S-Works double spider and chainrings for sale? I'm interested.

Matt
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    This is good news.I'm running a XTR crank 28/42 at the moment so you are telling me i can keep that and only have to change the rear to10sp.What FD should i use if i go 10sp(using a modified campag record at the moment)
    What chain rings?

mtbr member
    I am running XX shifters 10 speed in back 10spd kmc chain. A XTR front and XTR cranks 44/34 --no granny works great!
    Jt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    What chain rings?
    Specialites TA chinook rings 28/42

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2010 epic pressfit adapter

Too bad there are no S-works cranks available. Also, the Press Fit GXP adapter will work... I've seen one installed on a bike with no problems. Still, counter productive to run an adapter when there is a BB30 version around. I have an S-works HT 2010 and I knew about the crank limitations when I purchased it, but I can't believe that Specialized put these out with no mean of running regular BB30 cranks on them. At a time when the industry is settling on a standard, Spec goes and makes something just different enough to be a PITA to make work.
    Just try and get a Specialized crank it is impossible!!! Found some Extralite cranks in Italy but they are pricey. If i run a GXP press fit adapter in my 2010 s works epic any idea as to smallest q factor i can run. Sram have released a 156 and 166 q factor. The narrower the better but what will fit? Any ideas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustFox
    Just try and get a Specialized crank it is impossible!!! Found some Extralite cranks in Italy but they are pricey. If i run a GXP press fit adapter in my 2010 s works epic any idea as to smallest q factor i can run. Sram have released a 156 and 166 q factor. The narrower the better but what will fit? Any ideas
    the width is THE issue for OSBB91.. here is a shot of the Carbon lightnings -- they clear the stays but just... I don't think you can get a tighter QF -- I think Tim will custom make the width in you want.

https://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
    Jt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cranks

the width is THE issue for OSBB91.. here is a shot of the Carbon lightnings -- they clear the stays but just... I don't think you can get a tighter QF -- I think Tim will custom make the width in you want.

http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
    Nice. Thanks for the pic. I take it by your comment that yours is the standard QF that lighning make for the epic? What sort of figure are we talking for the crank? The extralites out of Italy with the 42/28 chainrings, bearing and spacers adds up to about $730 USD are the Lightnings similar? Did you have many issues making it work?

mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks for the pic. I take it by your comment that yours is the standard QF that lighning make for the epic? What sort of figure are we talking for the crank? The extralites out of Italy with the 42/28 chainrings, bearing and spacers adds up to about $730 USD are the Lightnings similar? Did you have many issues making it work?
    Well mine were the first for the epic as far as I know. Not sure if it is standard..

yes same ball park 600.00 for the cranks and 150 for the XX spider and XX rings
    Jt

mtbr member
    For sure you can mount an SRAM XX crank in a Specialized S-Works oversized BB frame. All you need to make the SRAM XX / Truvativ crank fit is the following (not many people know this) :

Hope BB Truvativ GXP Conversion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    For sure you can mount an SRAM XX crank in a Specialized S-Works oversized BB frame. All you need to make the SRAM XX / Truvativ crank fit is the following (not many people know this) :

Can you explain a bit more?

Are you running this setup?

My understanding, coming from reps at sram and specialized is that the XX BB isn't wide enough to properly work on the Sworks OSBB91.

I have seen similar spacers from hope but they were GXP adapters for a different purpose. from site _ "Allows Standard Hope (External BB) to Fit Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket Fitting Cranks, 2 x Adaptor Rings Convert the Truvativ Chainset to fit Hope and Compatable Bottom Bracket's" --
    Jt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Those spacers should let you use the Shimano BB91 bottom bracket that came with the frame and an XX crank.

The Shimano BB, when installed isn't wide enough for a Truvative crank to tighten down properly, also one of the bearing ID is different.

Even if you press out the Shimano bearings from the BB91 cups, and place truvative bearings in there... it isn't wide enough to make the Truvative/Sram crank work.

These spacers *should* take up that room and allow you to get it to work. But, it's still a fix for a problem Specialized should never have casued to begin with. They should have either, worked with Sram to get a press fit BB, like they did with Shimano, or just make the friggin' bottom bracket BB30. Then we could run any crank, BB30 or standard.

Then to top it off, all of the Specialized cranks have been backordered for months.... nice move on their part.

mtbr member
    Yes -- saw the spec rep in my area again yesterday - I would have to say even he seemed uneasy about the situation -

To make matters worse (i was told) as the cranks are made; additional production bike orders will pull the cranks out of the parts pool - say someone like me had cranks on order for months and months, but someone else orders a complete S-works tomorrow, the person that just ordered the bike goes to the front of the order line!

ok i get it -- but thats why I am running carbon lightnings! And they mount no fuse - natively
    Jt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yea, it's a mess. They have a LOT of bikes that can take those cranks and people want them. Even people with the "Expert" level carbon frames for the hard tails, FSR, Epic, etc can install the S-works cranks (and a lot of them have). Then you add in all of the S-works frames they are selling separately to the complete bikes and it really adds up.

They should have foreseen demand on the product, since they basically have a captive audience with the proprietary BB size. I've just about given up on getting one of the cranks for my S-works HT. I've been using an XTR970 with TA 40/28 rings on mine. Works perfectly and isn't much heavier than the S-Works cranks.

mtbr member
    . I've been using an XTR970 with TA 40/28 rings on mine. Works perfectly and isn't much heavier than the S-Works cranks.
    I would have done the same -- I was running my 970 in a 44/34 and really wanted the XX 42/28 similar to what you have - didn't think of the TA ring option. Ok, busted, I also wanted the bling of carbon arms.. :-)

I will say the shift on the front XX is super solid -- and that is worth a few extra $$.

Can you post a pick of your setup?
    Jt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My shop was lucky enough to score me the last in stock Crankset from Spec in 170mm. They got the XX spider and 39/26 rings but sure enough when the shop gets it they can't take the spider ring off because Specialized changed the diameter of the lock ring so their Specialized tool won't work. Now they have to order a new tool from them so I'm waiting another week before I get my XX Spec crankset. Now I know this is nothing to complain about given the run-around everyone else has had the pleasure of experiencing. The disturbing thing to me is Specialized engineers must have ADHD,ADD because there is no need to change spider lock ring specifications one year to the other and not send out new tool kits to S-Work dealers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=madskatingcow]For sure you can mount an SRAM XX crank in a Specialized S-Works oversized BB frame. All you need to make the SRAM XX / Truvativ crank fit is the following (not many people know this) :

Sram XX come in a 156 Q factor or 166 Q factor any idea if the 156 will fit the converted BB or does it have to be the 166? I cant believe how bad this experience has been with Specialized. But i love the bike!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcephoto
    My shop was lucky enough to score me the last in stock Crankset from Spec in 170mm. They got the XX spider and 39/26 rings but sure enough when the shop gets it they can't take the spider ring off because Specialized changed the diameter of the lock ring so their Specialized tool won't work. Now they have to order a new tool from them so I'm waiting another week before I get my XX Spec crankset. Now I know this is nothing to complain about given the run-around everyone else has had the pleasure of experiencing. The disturbing thing to me is Specialized engineers must have ADHD,ADD because there is no need to change spider lock ring specifications one year to the other and not send out new tool kits to S-Work dealers.

Whoa, take a deep breath buddy. The spider/lock ring did not change, your shop must have the tool originally made for carbon road cranks, they have a shorter spindle than the mtn version. If you try to use this tool w/ the mtn cranks, the spindle bottoms out before it engages in the lockring and won't work.

The updated tool that is compatible w/ both road and mtn cranks that has been available since 2008.

mtbr member
    my LBS had same issue as gforcephoto also when i convertedt to xx spider.... i had to wait for them to get the tool.
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Those spacers should let you use the Shimano BB91 bottom bracket that came with the frame and an XX crank.

The Shimano BB, when installed isn't wide enough for a Truvative crank to tighten down properly, also one of the bearing ID is different.

Even if you press out the Shimano bearings from the BB91 cups, and place truvative bearings in there... it isn't wide enough to make the Truvative/Sram crank work.

These spacers *should* take up that room and allow you to get it to work. But, it's still a fix for a problem Specialized should never have casued to begin with. They should have either, worked with Sram to get a press fit BB, like they did with Shimano, or just make the friggin' bottom bracket BB30. Then we could run any crank, BB30 or standard.

Then to top it off, all of the Specialized cranks have been backordered for months.... nice move on their part.

Sorry I am still learning here. Are you saying that those Hope spacers should somehow fit into the pressfit BB91 that i got with the frame? Does anything have to be removed from the BB91 for the rings to fit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Exactly, the hope spacers should fit in the BB91 Shimano BB that came with your frame. Nothing should have to be removed.

Hope BB is shimano speced, so they sell these spacers to make it work with Sram/truvative. So, they should also let a sram crank work with the bb91 bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    That's correct! A friend of mine is running the standard bearings that came with the S-Works frameset in combination with the Hope spacers and an SRAM XX 42/28T crank

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's correct! A friend of mine is running the standard bearings that came with the S-Works frameset in combination with the Hope spacers and an SRAM XX 42/28T crank
    Thanks guys i will give it a go as it will save me a stack of cash. Thankyou...and no thanks specialized Australia.

mtbr member
    please let us know how it works --

seems a bit off running several adapter sets (the shimono,+ Hope) to make a high end crank work - if your lightning fits natively at $750 ish and the double adapted Sram is 500 + spacers - is the delta worth it when your running such a beautiful frame set?
    Jt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Q

Could you ask your friend what Q factor his Sram XX crank is? Is it the 156 or 166?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    please let us know how it works --

seems a bit off running several adapter sets (the shimono,+ Hope) to make a high end crank work - if your lightning fits natively at $750 ish and the double adapted Sram is 500 + spacers - is the delta worth it when your running such a beautiful frame set?
    Will definately let you know how it goes. The reason Im trying this is that Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK have an awesome price on the full XX groupset only problem being is that it includes the Sram XX crank which they wont take out of the package. So i either have to use it or sell it. So im trying the using to start and if no joy then come in lightning.

mtbr member
    Yeah - it's Mid March the Speci cranks or crank arms won't be avail till April maybe.
    Team bikes are ordered way way back in October....hence the reason for there not being any S-work's epic frame sets or these cranks.

I am gonna wait and do the switch and go with XX spider and rings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 08S-Works_Guy
    Contact me,plesae I need the crank .
    E-mail : [email protected]
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question (new to the forum)

Just ordered '10 S-Works HT Frame to build up myself.

Assembling my component list, and i understand that the XX will not fit the OSBB.

However, will the Truvativ Noir crankset work with this frame?
    or does it suffer the same issue as the XX crankset?

mtbr member
    Dude, it works - just read the posts - (Hope spacers)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mmillerCHI
    Just ordered '10 S-Works HT Frame to build up myself.
    Assembling my component list, and i understand that the XX will not fit the OSBB.
    The Truvative XX comes in two versions: for BB30 bottom brackets and GPX bottom brackets. If you bought the frame only, the GPX version fits directly in the BB91 bottom bracket deliverd with the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL
    The Truvative XX comes in two versions: for BB30 bottom brackets and GPX bottom brackets. If you bought the frame only, the GPX version fits directly in the BB91 bottom bracket deliverd with the frame.
    No it does not! You need the Hope spacers to make it fit, as the length of the axle is too long.

Please post correct info - thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    More probably dumb questions?

Can i use the Race Face NEXT crank set with the S-Works HT Frame?
    Are there any issues with Using a Race Face crank set with SRAM components?

mtbr member
    Below some pics as proof :

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Chainrings

No it does not! You need the Hope spacers to make it fit, as the length of the axle is too long.

Please post correct info - thank you.
    Have ordered the parts. Like your bike very nice. What chain ring combination are you running 42/28 or the 39/26 Im not sure what to go for? What is your experience and thoughts?

mtbr member
    This is not my bike - I had the S-Works Epic 2009. I've sold mine for a Cannondale Flash Team (just arrived at the shop, still have to pick it up). The Flash comes with 42T / 28T.

On my S-Works Epic 2009 I'm running Rotor Q-Rings 40 / 27T with XX 11 - 36T rear

mtbr member
    very nice!! can you send some pics of drive side, i would like to see how you have mounted the FD (assume high clamp) as it seems to sit high on mine. i would like to mount it where the bottle cage nut is!! i'm assuming its OK as spesh spec'd it but would just like to make sure it looks similar. you may have said before but are those the 156q's?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was one of very, very, very few people to get a hold a BB made by Specialized specifically for XX cranks. From what I hear there were only four made. So far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-photo-2.jpg  

Sram XX crank in BB91-photo-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    German concept store told me that SW cranks wont be available sooner than end of May - can anybody confirm this? thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE2465
    I was one of very, very, very few people to get a hold a BB made by Specialized specifically for XX cranks. From what I hear there were only four made. So far so good.
    Sweet 650b by the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Specialites TA chinook rings 28/42
    Where can you buy TA chainrings?

In the USA preferably.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lukas45
    German concept store told me that SW cranks wont be available sooner than end of May - can anybody confirm this? thanks
    I have heard in the US just the cranks late May...maybe and if you want the set including spider and rings no earlier than June. I have researched 3 options 1: Hope Spacers to make the BB91 i have work with the XX crank(cheapest option currently waiting for parts). 2: E-Bones crankset from Extralite 3: Lightning cranks from the US. Good luck Specialized have made it hard for us.

mtbr member
    I have heard in the US just the cranks late May...maybe and if you want the set including spider and rings no earlier than June. I have researched 3 options 1: Hope Spacers to make the BB91 i have work with the XX crank(cheapest option currently waiting for parts). 2: E-Bones crankset from Extralite 3: Lightning cranks from the US. Good luck Specialized have made it hard for us.
    +1 for the time slot - the S rep told me the same last week. The lighting is by far the most versatile choice. you can run a mixture of different spiders. This lets you run the XX ( I am so impressed with the crispness of the front shifts), road rings, standard triple 104 etc..
    Jt

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was looking at the Hope spacers also. Which Q-Factor do you need on the SRAM XX crankset? 156q, 164q, or 166q

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not easy to answer. I have taken a punt with a 166 Q. This is another topic i found hard to get answers on. Went to my local shop and the mechanic there seemed pretty certain it was the 166. If you want hold off for a week and when mine doesnt fit i will let you know. My parts will be in soon. I believe the lightning crank was down around the 160ish mark.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Chainrings

Quote Originally Posted by Martin6
    08S-Works_Guy,
    Do you still have the S-Works double spider and chainrings for sale? I'm interested.

Matt
    [email protected]
    I still have the spider and chainrings if you are still interested. Just got to your message now,process of moving. Excellent shape on both, one is brand new basically. Please send me your personal email so we can chat ok. Are you local to the San Jose, CA area?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not easy to answer. I have taken a punt with a 166 Q. This is another topic i found hard to get answers on. Went to my local shop and the mechanic there seemed pretty certain it was the 166. If you want hold off for a week and when mine doesnt fit i will let you know. My parts will be in soon. I believe the lightning crank was down around the 160ish mark.
    Thanks. Sounds good. Let me know when you get it all put together. BTW, where did you pick up the Hope adapters?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just found this link that talks about SRAM's XX crankset frame clearance (see page 7). Assuming the Hope adapters don't put more offset on one crankarm than the other, you should be able to measure your frame and determine which q-factor will work.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...ifications.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowles
    Thanks. Sounds good. Let me know when you get it all put together. BTW, where did you pick up the Hope adapters?
    From Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK. Cheap approx $10 US

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Could you ask your mate with the epic if he used both of the Hope spacers on the non-drive side. I have used one and seems like it needs both to get the right width?

mtbr member
    I think it's one spacer on each side. Is your crank the right Q-factor?

You can always send an e-mail to Hope, as there in pdf documentation on the spacers available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think it's one spacer on each side. Is your crank the right Q-factor?

You can always send an e-mail to Hope, as there in pdf documentation on the spacers available.
    I am pretty sure i have the right spacers. One fits perfectly over the splines in the spindle on the non-drive side. Due to the diameter of the spindle the other spacer can not slide through to the drive side. i checked the measurements with the sram fit guide and the drive side is perfect just seems like i need to put both spacers on the one side to get the right measurement on that side? Would appreciate any info you can get?

mtbr member
    Can't give you the info short- term as it's they guy I sold my frame to who has fitted the XX crank with the Hope spacers and I rarely see him. When I go to the dealer next week, I can ask over there, as he got the spacers from them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't give you the info short- term as it's they guy I sold my frame to who has fitted the XX crank with the Hope spacers and I rarely see him. When I go to the dealer next week, I can ask over there, as he got the spacers from them.
    Thankyou no drama all measurements at this stage point towards both spacers need to be on the non drive side. Thanks again for your help on this. Its been a hassle since i bought the frame. Thinking i might just bite the bullet and pay the cash for lightning or extralite cranks i think these are the only others out there at the moment that fit.

mtbr member
    BTW you'll need a couple small parts to install your lighting crank. But they install so easy the q factor is good as is the chainline - get these for your bb91; instock a Specialized and ultra cheap.

(2) CRS091600006 bearing clips
    (1) CRS091600010 carbon/alloy bearing sleeve

Btw the XX rings are insanly great on the cranks!
    Jt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Just a bit of info for people and my experience so far. I ended up getting the Hope spacers and fitted one...by fitting one the alignment was perfect on the chainring side however approx 4mm off centre on the non drive side. Problem solved by fitting the second spacer. This gained the necessary 4mm to centre the cranks but on tightening the cranks i found that it now stiffened the bearings up way to far. So decision reached i think i have spent enough time on trying to make a square block fit in a round hole so i have now sold the crank and have ordered a Lightning crank. Specialized still have no real time frame on their crank and from all other peoples opinions the the Lightnings should be great so i am looking forward to their arrival and an end to pain...thats my headache. Thanks for everyones advice and i hope my experience helps others with this major stuff around by Specialized.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Problem solved by fitting the second spacer. This gained the necessary 4mm to centre the cranks but on tightening the cranks i found that it now stiffened the bearings up way to far. So decision reached i think i have spent enough time on trying to make a square block fit in a round hole so i have now sold the crank and have ordered a Lightning crank. :
    any engineering shop would be able to take 0.5mm off the surface of the hope spacer for a couple of bucks or a case of beer. probably 1mm in total would be all that is required....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi
    any engineering shop would be able to take 0.5mm off the surface of the hope spacer for a couple of bucks or a case of beer. probably 1mm in total would be all that is required....
    hum..... why would you want to frankenstein a s-works fact 11 carbon frame in the one place every precious watt goes thru?

Down the road with all the grime, cranks already can get "the creeks" imaging all the extra contact points those spacers introduce!

I get it if the spacers were the only way to ride the frame (but there are solid options), or if you were strapped for cash; but if you were cash poor you would most-likely strap on xtr or have a different frame.
    Jt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea, it's a mess. They have a LOT of bikes that can take those cranks and people want them. Even people with the "Expert" level carbon frames for the hard tails, FSR, Epic, etc can install the S-works cranks (and a lot of them have). Then you add in all of the S-works frames they are selling separately to the complete bikes and it really adds up.

They should have foreseen demand on the product, since they basically have a captive audience with the proprietary BB size. I've just about given up on getting one of the cranks for my S-works HT. I've been using an XTR970 with TA 40/28 rings on mine. Works perfectly and isn't much heavier than the S-Works cranks.
    Hey briscoelab, where did you order your TA chainrings? Sounds like a good solution.

mtbr member
    My S-Works with Lightning's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckji
    My S-Works with Lightning's.
    whew..... berry berrrry nice!
    Jt

old fart
    Mar 2010
    hum..... why would you want to frankenstein a s-works fact 11 carbon frame in the one place every precious watt goes thru?
    no, I wasn't saying to monster the frame, but to mill the spacers to reduce their width....

mtbr member
    no, I wasn't saying to monster the frame, but to mill the spacers to reduce their width....
    I understood completely :-)
    Jt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got mine from Starbike.

They are good guys and ship quick. Tool about a week to get here in the USA from Germany.

mtbr member
    Got mine from Starbike.

They are good guys and ship quick. Tool about a week to get here in the USA from Germany.
    Pics of the chain rings installed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

These are 42/28. I am now running a 40T outer ring.... but they look the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

These are 42/28. I am now running a 40T outer ring.... but they look the same.
    That looks great. How's the performance, chainline, blah, blah. The Starbike site looks easy to work. Thanks for the help on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    But,where can get the specialized crank set?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This thread goes on for quite a while the option as i know them are:
    (1) Wait for a Specialized crank to come - from my experience and many many many others you will be waiting waiting waiting. Supposedly end of May just for crank, end of June for crank spider and rings. If you are like me i have given up and moved to option (2)

(2) Speak to Tim at Lightning and order a set of cranks from him. I have just ordered mine and others on this forum have done this and are happy with the results. Reading between the lines Specialized cranks are a copy of his.

(3) Extralite E Bones OS-SW crank with Octagara rings made in Italy. Look and sound impressive.

(4) Get a Truvativ GXP XX crank, buy some Hope spacers and make it fit. I tried this but wasnt happy with the end result.

mtbr member
    +1 on ausfox's recap

I had S cranks on order for 7 months. I have been told more times than I could count floating and missed delivery dates..

Add xtrs to AusFox list above XX with spacers.. You can run them 2x.. I did for a while. I am running lighting now with XX rings they shift sooo solid and much faster under power than anything I have ever tried on a mtb (the electronic dura ace is kinda amazing).

The extra expense of the lighting has resulted in over a thousand miles of smiles and the cranks seem like a better value every ride.. Btw I ride just about everyday

(1) Wait for a Specialized crank to come - from my experience and many many many others you will be waiting waiting waiting. Supposedly end of May just for crank, end of June for crank spider and rings. If you are like me i have given up and moved to option (2)

(2) Speak to Tim at Lightning and order a set of cranks from him. I have just ordered mine and others on this forum have done this and are happy with the results. Reading between the lines Specialized cranks are a copy of his.

(3) Extralite E Bones OS-SW crank with Octagara rings made in Italy. Look and sound impressive.

(4) Get a Truvativ GXP XX crank, buy some Hope spacers and make it fit. I tried this but wasnt happy with the end result.
    Jt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Gxp press fit

My mechanic had trouble with the xx hope spacers setup but thinks SRAM makes a gxp press fit that will work. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Or should I just suck it up and order the lightning cranks that are two weeks out?

mtbr member
    get the lightings or use the Specialized/Shimano addapters and run xt or xtr Sram doesn't make an adapter - but they do make the spider and chain rings for the s-works cranks -- go figure.. hum. sounds like a deal was struck, when specialized put XX rings on their bike instead of their own rings.

Quote Originally Posted by jeddog69
    My mechanic had trouble with the xx hope spacers setup but thinks SRAM makes a gxp press fit that will work. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Or should I just suck it up and order the lightning cranks that are two weeks out?
    Jt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

XTR Cranks

Can you run the stock Shimano 44 x32 Chainrings on your set up? I have everything setup except the cranks and have a race this weekend. The XX Cranks with Hope Spacers do not set up correctly. Just wondering if I could use my XTR crankset with 44 x32.

mtbr member
    not sure who you asking -- The lightnings have spiders available in a bunch of configurations including 104/64; so with that spider yes.. with the shimano/BB91 cups - I ran 44x34 on my xtr at first and XX in the rear as I was waiting for my lightings -- But the shifting difference between the XTR and XX rings on the lightning cranks could not be more drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jeddog69
    Can you run the stock Shimano 44 x32 Chainrings on your set up? I have everything setup except the cranks and have a race this weekend. The XX Cranks with Hope Spacers do not set up correctly. Just wondering if I could use my XTR crankset with 44 x32.
    Jt

mtbr member
    Talked to the guy I know who had the XX crank fitted on my frame. He only mounted a Hope spacer on one side, but had some brass rings on each side as the crank couldn't be tightened otherwise. He mentions the crank creaks a little though.

Weird nobody has contacted Hope on this to see what's up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Xtr cranks

That's exactly what I want to do. Run my xtr cranks this weekend at the bakers dozen 13 hr race until I can get the lightnings. Wasn't sure if it would work with the xx stuff
    Last edited by jeddog69; 04-12-2010 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

XTR Cranks for now

Finally finished building it up. Could'nt get the XX cranks with the hope spacers to work. I have the XTR cranks running 2 x10 until Spec cranks come in later next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-s-works-29.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You guys need some custom Hope-like adapters? I think we could make that happen quickly. Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It sure wouldn't hurt!

mtbr member
    i'll 2nd that!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We just need a spec to work from.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Hope spacer's method definitely works:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-xx1.jpg  

Sram XX crank in BB91-xx2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thelucky1
    The Hope spacer's method definitely works:
    So... are you installing the spacers as recommended by Hope?
    Spacer installation video

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, my shop did it, but that is how they did it.....

mtbr member
    Yes, my shop did it, but that is how they did it.....
    How is the shifting (front)? Do you get any chain rub crossed up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No, because I have 10s gripshift and the front gripshift allows those micro shifts which eliminates chain rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, because I have 10s gripshift and the front gripshift allows those micro shifts which eliminates chain rub.
    Where o where did you get 10 speed gripshift? Didn't think the SRAM XX gripshift was available yet. Or are you just using XO gripshift for 10 speed? If so, how's that working out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It's sort of a black market brand -> "SEC". I bought it from that Nino guy who sells Titanium cassettes on eBay. I bought the shifter and titanium cassette from him. Very light...I wouldn't say it shifts as nicely as SRAM or Shimano, but i have been happy with it. Cool thing is it works with Shimano derailleurs.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Hi there... just as a matter of interest.. did you fit both Hope GXP adapters on the non drive side as in the Hope video or just 1..? also which Q factor did you try..? I really want to make this conversion work.!!

Thanks..

mtbr member
    Rotor 3D 2x9 27x40t Q rings, works great with the press in bearings for Shimano cranks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-rotor3d.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Was going to build an S-works Epic but have changed my plans... I have S-works Crank with XX spider. I even have a zipp BB so the BB30 guys can use them as well. Looking to trade for a sram XX crank or possibly sell for $450 to buy a sram XX crank. Arms are in excellent condition and are 170mm...

Chris

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone looked at enduro spacers?

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id255.html

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think those adapters / spacers would be too wide..??

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanxc
    I think those adapters / spacers would be too wide..??
    Wrong spacers - if you look down the bottom of the page I referenced, you will find 2 spacer washers (one 2.5mm and the other 1mm) that are specifically designed for improving chainline...

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id255.html

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Dropped in the Lightning Crank and it is sweet. The Q factor couldnt be tighter. Keep your spacers i think it is a patch up job trying to get it working well. Good luck trying i know i tried.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thelucky1, what's the Q Factor of your Crankset?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by caiomax
    thelucky1, what's the Q Factor of your Crankset?
    I have found some measure this differently i followed the way as shown in Specialized manuals inside crank arm to inside crank arm. I was really surprised it came in at only 130mm. i must say the crank arm only passes the rear chainstay by about 5 - 10mm. Its great it is really close to my roadie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    Nope, that won't work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks man, but the crankset 156 that I was trying did not work.I ordered the 166 crankset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks man, but the crankset 156 that I was trying did not work.I ordered the 166 crankset.
    I tried the Sram XX crankset with the 166 arms. They had heaps of clearance just didnt like the spacers i had to use to make it work so i forked out the cash and got the lightnings

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Summary

Can I just run a summary of this thread - and if its wrong please correct...

1/. As standard, Shimano cranks (such as 970's) are fine. Spec cranks are also fine - but rare, and lightning cranks are also good.

2/. Buy some Hope adapters, and then run GXP cranks - such as XX - although the 156 is too narrow. The 166 will work. Other Truvative will work - but only with the adapter.

Man - what a drama!
    BTW - new XTR 2x10 will be 26x38 - that is what I run currently on the 970's with TA rings..
    I reckon I'm gonna wait for the new XTR rather than the fudge to get XX to work.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Antsonline
    Can I just run a summary of this thread - and if its wrong please correct...

1/. As standard, Shimano cranks (such as 970's) are fine. Spec cranks are also fine - but rare, and lightning cranks are also good.

2/. Buy some Hope adapters, and then run GXP cranks - such as XX - although the 156 is too narrow. The 166 will work. Other Truvative will work - but only with the adapter.

Man - what a drama!
    BTW - new XTR 2x10 will be 26x38 - that is what I run currently on the 970's with TA rings..
    I reckon I'm gonna wait for the new XTR rather than the fudge to get XX to work.
    1. Shimano Hollowtech II (24mm) cranks ar fine when using the BB91 Shimano bearings cups (whcih reduce the OSBB to 24mm). Hence XTR, XT & SLX are all good w/BB91.

2. Spec Carbon crank (30mm) work direct, as do Lightenings.

3. XX (CL 166) will work only in GXP configuration (24mm) - but require additional spacers to work correctly. Enduro or Hope should be fine.

Also, I am ambivalent about the benefit of a 30mm alloy crank vs a 24mm steel one. So XX is still the best way to 2x10 goodness. X.0 2x10 should be released in a couple of months which will give another crank option. Remember that DynaSys (Shimano 10 speed) will retain 3-speed up front...

mtbr member
    The Rotor 3D / Agilis cranks are interesting too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Smile S Works XX on 2010 Carbon Pro

I know it is grainy like a Sasquatch picture - but here it is: S Works and XX 39/26 from my LBS in Richmond VA -
    Dang they hooked me up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-crank-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Lightning inc. offers 68 or 73mm (MTB), BB30, OSBB, and BB86/ BB9 cranksets. But if XTR, XT & SLX also fits with the BB91 Shimano bearings cups, does that means, that Lightning 68 or 73 fits with specialized frames, although width of specialized bb-shell is about 85mm not 68 or 73mm? Or do I confuse something?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speci
    Lightning inc. offers 68 or 73mm (MTB), BB30, OSBB, and BB86/ BB9 cranksets. But if XTR, XT & SLX also fits with the BB91 Shimano bearings cups, does that means, that Lightning 68 or 73 fits with specialized frames, although width of specialized bb-shell is about 85mm not 68 or 73mm? Or do I confuse something?
    The key thing is the crank diameter. Shimano HT II is 24mm, whereas the Spec & Lightning is 30mm (same as BB30, but wider). The Shimano BB91 takes the Spec OSBB bearing OD and chunks it down to a 24mm ID so that HT II can fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thank you, yes that is was I understand.
    but what's about the bb-shell size: 68, 73, 85mm?
    does have the 68 lightning crank the sam size (width) as the OSBB version?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

GXP in BB91

Hi
    I also have a Spec, but I want to run xx crank. I do not like the BB91, I found it sticky and it had movement on it.
    Here is my solution
    You will need 2 6509 bearings(they are available in ceramic)
    2 x shimano top hat bearing dust covers
    1x 8mm spacer
    1 x XX gxp 166 q-factor
    2 x circlips for bb30
    1x Hope GXP spacer( because the GXP has a tapered spindle)

Here is what you do

Remove the BB91
    Install the circlips in the BB shell
    install the 6905 bearings, they are a perfect fit
    install the tophat dustcovers in the openings in the bearings
    Put the 8mm spacer over the shaft on the drive side
    Put the Hope adaptor/spacer in the non drive side bearing opening
    Tighten the crank.

ITS DONE.

The 6905 bearing works because it has the same outside diameter as a BB30 bearing, but with a 25 mm inner diameter(same as Shimano bearings/ hence the tophat dustcover to reduce the opening to 24mm, which is the spindle diameter.
    You need the Hope adaptor because the spindle is tapered on the non drive side.
    If you want to use a narrower spacer on the drive side, you will need a spacer on the non drive side to compensate for what you shorten the drive side spacer with.

These bearings are stronger and bigger than BB30 and std bearings, and believe me, you can feel it.
    Oh, if you want to use a Shimano or Raceface or whatever you like, just remove the Hope converter and replace with a spacer to suite your needs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=speci]Lightning inc. offers 68 or 73mm (MTB), BB30, OSBB, and BB86/ BB9 cranksets. But if XTR, XT & SLX also fits with the BB91 Shimano bearings cups, does that means, that Lightning 68 or 73 fits with specialized frames, although width of specialized bb-shell is about 85mm not 68 or 73mm? Or do I confuse something?[/QU

It is my understanding that Tim at Lightning specially designed these cranks to work in the 2010 S works epic. The Epic requires the OSBB (84.5) the other sizes you talk about would be for standard BBs Im guessing. If you have the Epic and cant get a Spec crank (no one in the world can!!!!) then fit the Lightning. I have been using it for two weeks and it is a dream. Really easy to fit, just plug in and play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram XX crank in BB91-getattachment2.jpg  

Sram XX crank in BB91-getattachment.jpg  

Sram XX crank in BB91-getattachment3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

want to run xx crank

[QUOTE=borys]
    [...]
    You will need 2 6509 bearings(they are available in ceramic)
    1x 8mm spacer
    1 x XX gxp 166 q-factor
    2 x circlips for bb30
    1x Hope GXP spacer( because the GXP has a tapered spindle)

thank you for your instructions.
    today i ask a bike-dealer in germany for this parts.
    but he need some more specifications:

do you have urls or order or item numbers for this parts?

do you know manufacturer name for the bearing pieces?
    do you have more specifications for the Shimano »top hat bearing dust covers« and Hope »spacer kit«?
    what does »circlips« means?

hello

can you confirm this urls:
    2 x 6905 Bearing (ceramic)
    1x 8mm spacer
    1 x XX gxp 166 q-factor
    2 x circlips -> »snap rings« for bb30
    1x Hope GXP spacer (because the GXP has a tapered spindle)
    Last edited by speci; 06-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hello

That is all correct.
    I used the SRAM BB30 rings, but those will also work.
    You will also need a 8 mm spacer. You can find a assorment of these at ChainReaction under Bottom Bracket spares or use a cut-off piece of fork steerer tube.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You will need the medium dust cover for 25mm ID bearings

old fart
    Mar 2010

Yes!! Finally!!!

SRAM has come up with the sensible solution. Might need to wait a month or two....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...-family/125627
    Last edited by skiwi; 06-14-2010 at 03:46 AM.

mtbr member
    they are up on BTI now....at least all the new SRAM 10 sp stuff. just not avail yet.
    anyone with the inside scoop got a release date and sell date on this new 10 sp stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    WOOOHOOO! I still wish there was an easy way to run the bb3 crank... but I'll take a more offical work around for the GXP for sure.

mtbr member
    will 156 Q factor work... i have a set from another bike waiting to go!!!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Doubt it - given the amount of clearance on my XTR cranks on the 09 Marathon

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No the Q156 will definately not work, I have tried and failed to fit that size. The only size that fits is Q166 which I now have fitted to my 2010 Stumpy Hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XX Q factor for 2010 Specialized SJ Hard Tail Frame

Hi brendanxc - just wondering what size frame your 2010 Stumpjumper Hard Tail is? (19 inch?)

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi there.. My frame is an 18 inch. Hope that is a help to you.??

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply Brendanxc - much appreciated

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Smile

Ive found this site with a OSBB adaptor, has any one had any experience in getting one out of europe?

This is my first post on here, but i am a long time reader, nice to have something interesting to talk about!

http://www.c-bear.com/en/pf-en/sram-...om-bracket.php

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi there, I emailed this company a few weeks ago about the Sram XX / Specialized OS bearing adaptors. You also get ceramic bearings with them and they come with a 2 year warranty. The price was very reasonable and worked out to about £70 here in the U.K..

I haven't ordered any at the moment but I was waiting til the Standard Shimano OSBB bearings I am using now fail (which wont be long as they are pretty crap).

If you get them, please let me know how you get on with buying them and fitting them.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    SRAM has come up with the sensible solution. Might need to wait a month or two....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...-family/125627

Does anyone have any info on the Truvativ BB91? Product codes? ETA or production?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    Rotor 3D 2x9 27x40t Q rings, works great with the press in bearings for Shimano cranks
    Good evening, my name is Alexander and I write from Rome.

I am interested to buy the same Rotor 3D crankset and i have your own frame Specy HT Carbon: you used simply the BB91 bottom bracket of Specialized to install the 3D or you used some adapter or thickness? thanks

sorry for my english
    Alessandro

mtbr member
    if using the 970 xtr w/ 40/28 on the 09 carbon epic/9spd/xo . triggers w/ xtr front der. ....
    *any issues with using small small chain line?
    *what does the xtr w/ double rings w/bb setup weigh in at?
    i tried using stock grey colored xt /stock cranks from 09 carbon epic w/ 26/42 .using modified spacers. the small small was imposible to use.actualy, the 3 smallest gears in back ,same issue.chain would rub side of teeth in rear.

would resort to the xtr setup 2x9 only if it weighed in closer to 700gram w/ bb and can use full range of gears in back in cros chaining. thanks..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_black
    Ive found this site with a OSBB adaptor, has any one had any experience in getting one out of europe?

This is my first post on here, but i am a long time reader, nice to have something interesting to talk about!

http://www.c-bear.com/en/pf-en/sram-...om-bracket.php
    Hey all - just a quick update - I went the C-Bear route for my SWorks frame to run with my XX.
    I'm in Australia.
    I emailed Bart at C-Bear (Netherlands), on Tuesday last week, he was immiediately responsive, we swapped a few mails, they have a paypal account so I transfered funds.
    Something like 70euros for a set. I ordered two sets to keep one as a spare.
    The bearings arrived with me this morning. Weds am.
    Thats a week turnaround including flying time and customs, to the other side of the world.

I'm amazed and really pleased. The bearings look great and although they are not in the bike yet, will certainly work.

So - massive thumbs up to the C-Bear crew.

There is nothing like a dealing with an independant niche supplier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antsonline
    Hey all - just a quick update - I went the C-Bear route for my SWorks frame to run with my XX.
    I'm in Australia.
    I emailed Bart at C-Bear (Netherlands), on Tuesday last week, he was immiediately responsive, we swapped a few mails, they have a paypal account so I transfered funds.
    Something like 70euros for a set. I ordered two sets to keep one as a spare.
    The bearings arrived with me this morning. Weds am.
    Thats a week turnaround including flying time and customs, to the other side of the world.

I'm amazed and really pleased. The bearings look great and although they are not in the bike yet, will certainly work.

So - massive thumbs up to the C-Bear crew.

There is nothing like a dealing with an independant niche supplier.

Thanks for the update. So far it seems this is the best option for getting XX onto my 09 Epic.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Firstoff, I have to say this is a great thread! I loved reading through it to see the progression of this issue.

Having recently purchased a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Pro frame with the intent to build it up with 2x10 XX I am now riding in the same boat but it appears I got on at a better time

Also thought some might be interested in this:
    http://www.bikeman.com/CR2186.html
    The Truvativ Pressfit solution is listed but says out of stock, hopefully a sign that it's coming soon!
    Also encouraging that the Truvativ/Sram BB is now being listed on the compatibility chart from Specialized as posted earlier...

SRAM BB GXP press-in threaded
    cups (#00.6415.033.040)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...0&d=1285274109

As I plan my build, anyone know off hand what the minimum 'q factor' is for the Stumpy FSR? Would like to know what size XX crank I can get away with!

Also appear to be selling on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-Truvativ-GX...item1c140cdf6f *edit* After more research, this is the wrong one, it's for BB92
    Last edited by drewgold; 11-04-2010 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Not happy with the Lightning carbon cranks. Not even 6 months old and they snapped in half. Waiting over 4 weeks now for replacements. If I was you go with the S-Works, I would have but I could not get them earlier this spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nofish
    Not happy with the Lightning carbon cranks. Not even 6 months old and they snapped in half. Waiting over 4 weeks now for replacements. If I was you go with the S-Works, I would have but I could not get them earlier this spring.
    Let me guess; JRA?

mtbr member
    JRA? What does that mean?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    S-Works carbon cranks are now available. 175's and 170's if interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nofish
    JRA? What does that mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JRA

mtbr member
    Bingo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just ordered a new Sram Pressfit GXP compatible BB for BB91. Apparently they're in stock for anyone who's interested!

http://aebike.com/product/sram-press...r2186-qc30.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgold
    Just ordered a new Sram Pressfit GXP compatible BB for BB91. Apparently they're in stock for anyone who's interested!

http://aebike.com/product/sram-press...r2186-qc30.htm

So just to make sure I understand correctly. This BB is only for the GXP version of the crank, NOT the BB30.

Yes I know its in the name but this stuff is starting to get cloudy in my brain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    So just to make sure I understand correctly. This BB is only for the GXP version of the crank, NOT the BB30.

Yes I know its in the name but this stuff is starting to get cloudy in my brain.
    It does get confusing doesn't it?

I'm fairly certain you're thinking correctly though. GXP BB only for GXP crank not for a BB30 compatible crank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Thanks for the update. So far it seems this is the best option for getting XX onto my 09 Epic.
    I am from Finland, and just received my BB/Adapter http://www.c-bear.com/en/pf-en/sram-...om-bracket.php to install XX cranks to my 2010 S-works Epic.

Super fast delivery - I made a payment on Wed and received shipment today on Monday. I only can recommend C-Bear.

Br, Jussi

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I`ve asked Specialized the same question and this was
    he answer:

Dear ,

That is a great question. The only cranks that will fit on that bike is our cranks, or with the adapter you can run Shimano or race face cranks.

Currently it is not possible to run Sram cranks on that bike. However, You can purchase our crank arms and then order the Truvativ spider and rings. If you have any more question regarding sram XX, please feel free to contact me at the phone number and extension listed below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    rotor makes a converter gxp o bb30

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Finnaly!!! I get a GXP bottom bracket that solve this problem.
    The model is GXP PressFit 84,5mm.I bought this piece at Jenson USA.
    Later, I will post some pics.Bye!!!

mtbr member
    Finnaly!!! I get a GXP bottom bracket that solve this problem.
    The model is GXP PressFit 84,5mm.I bought this piece at Jenson USA.
    Later, I will post some pics.Bye!!!
    I was just about to revive this thread to ask if the above piece would work. It sure sounds like it's the answer to this problem that was mentioned in the Cycling News (I think it was?) article linked earlier.
    Assuming the chainline isn't a problem guess who's going to be running 2x9 on a Stumpy Expert 29er with a X.0 crank. This guy!
    We have a winner?
    Last edited by htfu_aaron; 01-12-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just want to make sure of something, by using the Sram Pressfit GXP compatible BB for BB91 what is the q factor of the sram XX crankset that I can use?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey,

I'm using my 2010 S-Works hardtail with C-bear bearings and SRAM XX crankset. The 166mm Q factor is the one and only version you can use with this frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi,
    I have an S-Works STJ FSR 2010 frame, I guess the 156 q factor Crankset is too narrow for specialized frames. By using this press fit cups (SRAM BB GXP press-in threaded
    cups (#00.6415.033.040)) the 166 q factor crankset sits in perfectly(no spacers)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    When i tried the original adaptors I bought the XX crank with the 166 Q. It did seem really wide and i was left wondering if the 156 Q could have fitted? If you know someone with a xx crank with 156 try before you buy otherwise if the Spec crank is now avaliable i would get that. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi,

Actually I don't know how it works with the SRAM bb the only thing I know that with the C-bear it works fine. I'm using this one: http://www.c-bear.com/en/pf-en/sram-...om-bracket.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is the Spec crank a better option that the Sram xx? As far as I know it also runs a XX spider. With the Spec Crankset can I use a XX Front mech?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Definitive answer required regarding QF

Hey folks. Sorry for digging this up after so long, but I just got an 09 Epic expert carbon and am looking to install an XX crankset. I have already ordered the SRAM 84.5 adapter and now need to know which qf I need to order the crank in.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    q166

Members who have read this thread: 0