specialized shock tunes- Mtbr.com
    bike pamper-er

New question here. specialized shock tunes

On specialized's website, in the product description/tech specs section, they end every rear shock's description with "trail/enduro tune." what are these tunes? is it something the shock manufacturer (rockshox, fox, etc) does to the shock before fitting it to the bike? Or is it done by specialized before shipping out the complete bike?
    but more importantly than that, what is the difference between a "trail tune" and an "enduro tune?" Is one more progressive, does one have inherently slower or faster compression/rebound damping, etc?
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Good question. I have the 2016 stump jumper expert and I find the rear suspension could use some more mid stroke support and gets a little overwhelmed on super rowdy trails. The reviews seems to validate my feelings, I am considering getting it tuned by avalanche to see if that would help, maybe give it more of an "endure" tune?

bike pamper-er
    I have the same stumpy but it's the comp carbon version, and it has the same exact feel. I'm looking at the new Enduro as an upgrade sometime next year, so if nobody comes up with an answer before then I'll keep you posted. Like you said, more support in the mid stroke would be nice; I bottom out the rear over really small jumps despite running <20% sag.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

mtbr member
    The tune is a combination of damping and volume/spacers that is decided upon by collaboration between the shock manufacturer and the frame manufacturer. Between them, they decide what's good/appropriate over a range of what they perceive to be average riders and riding conditions. The shock manufacturer then supplies shocks with that tune to the frame manufacturer. If you and your riding fit their profile of average, it's probably pretty good, though it may not necessarily conform to your preferences.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    The shock tune is done through the collaboration between both the frame manufacturer and the Suspension agent. The tune is done for the experience of the bike, so a trail tune is aimed for a trail bike, race tune would be aimed more at a race bike. What the frame designers intend that bike for is key and thats why the shocks are tuned for each bike, rather than an off the shelf shock which would not have the shame tuning.
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK