Specialized Epic HT 2017 - Real Boost bike or fake Boost?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well Specialized Epic HT 2017 - Real Boost bike or fake Boost?

I do not know if someone else realize this problem on the new EPIC HT Bikes, but when you read this, maybe you get really disappointed.

One of the main advantages on the boost system is the increase of lateral stiffness on the wheels. Ok? It is supposed to happen because the new hubs now are wider and the spokes are positioned 3mm outer each side of the hub.

Considering this, I have found on the specialized website that the rear roval hub delivered on the Epic HT PRO model is specified as 142x12mm. It should be 148x12mm as the same as the new frame. At the same time, on the components area in the specialized webpage I have found the "Boost Conversion Kit" for the Roval Control wheels.

I have confirmed, and the new EPIC HT Bikes are really being delivered with the usual roval wheels with the "Boost conversion kit".

What would be the real advantage on this? I do not see any!!! Next year, Specialized launches the new Roval Boost hubs and what happens to the who have bought the 2017 model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yep, the front hubs are only 100 too not 110. I was surprised to see that they didn't have updated wheels yet.

mtbr member
    Don't believe what you see on the website, I just delivered an Epic Expert WC HT to a customer, front hub is 110 and the rear is 148. What is says on the website is "subject to change at any time". The bikes are shipping with true boost wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    Don't believe what you see on the website, I just delivered an Epic Expert WC HT to a customer, front hub is 110 and the rear is 148. What is says on the website is "subject to change at any time". The bikes are shipping with true boost wheels.
    I have sent an e-mailto specialized customer service today. They confirmed this info that I have written here. They confirmed that all the roval wheels are using the same Boost Conversion Kit that is offered on the specialized webpage, right on this link here: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/129291. They are using this conversion kit to provide the correct spacing because the hub is still 142mm wide on the rear.

mtbr member
    The Spesh marketing machine strikes again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gvcabral View Post
    What would be the real advantage on this? I do not see any!!!
    It's a financial move. Specialized probably has thousands of non boost wheels laying around.

It's more beneficial for them financially to to invest the money in the conversion kit (very little money) and get rid of all the non boost wheels than to throw them all out.

Once the inventory of non boost wheels is depleted then you will see boost hubs as standard on the bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    It's a financial move. Specialized probably has thousands of non boost wheels laying around.

It's more beneficial for them financially to to invest the money in the conversion kit (very little money) and get rid of all the non boost wheels than to throw them all out.

Once the inventory of non boost wheels is depleted then you will see boost hubs as standard on the bikes.
    You are right. I agree. But after all the marketing that specialized made around the all new epic HT, it is kind disrespectful to all customers that were waiting for the all new technology that was explained by specialized before the launch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    In the end your wheels won't fall apart because of it. People been riding for years on 142 and 100.

I see boost as the gateway to being able to fit wider tires as opposed to stiffer wheels

mtbr member
    Well Specialized disappointed me and my sister this year!!! the s-works epic ht will be released and will be in the dealers in APRIL 2017!!!!! I sold my old sw stj ht 2014 because they told me will be in lbs on this december but I have to waith 6 MONTHS, now I don't have any bike to race and train mtb.

A guy that works in Specialized told me that the new hubs are wider hope this is true if not I sold my race control sl wheelset in vain
    That is really sad of course they have a lot of 142 and 100 hubs there they can't lose just will instal this caps and go!! is ridiculous installing standard 142 hubs on a 148 frame