Specialized Chisel discussion- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Specialized Chisel discussion

Looks to be a great bike for the value, I wish it had the lighter wheel set but that can be fixed. Will they still make an alloy Epic hardtail is the question.

Who else wants one?
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...xpert1x/128882

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I dont think they were going for light if it were my guess. Only saying this because they put 2.3s instead of 2.1s. And its boost so im thinking it might be able to go 29x2.6? Miniplus lol

I throw poo
    Not much different from the late, lamented, Carve/Crave. Good news, because that's a great bike.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Most of the geometry is the same as the Epic carbon that I own.

It did drop some weight from the older alloy frames 200 grams or so.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What do you think about it vs the fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I just saw pics of tire clearance on the upper part of the triangle. Looks big. Also the 1x is 24.4 with tubes but doesnt say what size. Pretty good if thats a med or lg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    24 pounds is very good for an alloy rig especially with those wheels on it. My rockhopper is around 32 lbs

mtbr member
    I'm liking the idea...with a dropper and CF wheels, of course.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    The alloy roval wheels are lighter than the standard carbon roval wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    What do you think about it vs the fuse?

Depends on your goal. Chisel will be must faster and lighter in good/smooth conditions. Ive seen an almost stock fuse weigh in at 28 even pretty much. The fuse in rocky rooty areas is nice and it "climbs like a billy goat" but is definitely slower in some aspects.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crave SL View Post
    Depends on your goal. Chisel will be must faster and lighter in good/smooth conditions. Ive seen an almost stock fuse weigh in at 28 even pretty much. The fuse in rocky rooty areas is nice and it "climbs like a billy goat" but is definitely slower in some aspects.
    Think the fuse is still a better choice for a big guy 280ish)? From what I hear there is no fuse expert for 2018, so if i want 1x (and I do) it's either the fuse comp at 1500 or the chisel expert at 1850, I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Get the one with shimano brakes lol. But honestly id say fuse in your situation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    The alloy roval wheels are lighter than the standard carbon roval wheels
    Those alloy wheels are not the Roval Control alloy wheels. So they are not lighter than the carbon wheels.

This should be pretty easy to get under 20-21 lbs.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]
    [Niner Air 9 Alloy - Rigid SS]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll be ordering a frame set as soon as they come available.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    I dont think they were going for light if it were my guess. Only saying this because they put 2.3s instead of 2.1s. And its boost so im thinking it might be able to go 29x2.6? Miniplus lol
    I just got a reply from Specialized saying the max tire size was 2.3. But I still wonder if something wider would fit in there...
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So what would the geo and bike be like if you replaced the fork with a 120? Could you get it a little rowdier without compromising it much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
    So what would the geo and bike be like if you replaced the fork with a 120? Could you get it a little rowdier without compromising it much?
    This thought crossed my mind, assuming the rear stay would fit a wider tire. Not crazy about the long-ish stem, but I could deal with that. The bike is certainly a looker.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    It has almost exactly the same geo as the Epic and I can attest the Epic is way more confidence inspiring than my rockhopper. This Chisel should be one hell of a rig

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates View Post
    I just got a reply from Specialized saying the max tire size was 2.3. But I still wonder if something wider would fit in there...
    Specialized is saying that because thats the max tire size they produce, i'm sure...

Being boost rear spacing and seeing a 2.25 inch tire in there, i would say it will definitely fit more.
    As I said above, I will be ordering one as soon as they come available, so when i get some boost wheels to put on it, i'll test it and post up the findings.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Get the one with shimano brakes lol. But honestly id say fuse in your situation.
    I'm very interested in the 1x but I've never had good luck with SRAM brakes. Sure wish I could build cost effectively with a complete XT group.

No good in rock gardens..
    Great looking bike.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Everyone else being scared of sram brakes makes me scared of them too! i also feel the front chainring is too small but I want a Reba fork. I'm still undecided on these, the 1500 dollar rig looks to be the one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRider View Post
    I'm very interested in the 1x but I've never had good luck with SRAM brakes. Sure wish I could build cost effectively with a complete XT group.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Everyone else being scared of sram brakes makes me scared of them too! i also feel the front chainring is too small but I want a Reba fork. I'm still undecided on these, the 1500 dollar rig looks to be the one to get.
    I like both build kits for the money, but like the allez smartwelds when they came out... they were conservative with their builds and the bike more than justified nicer parts being put on it... so i will be getting the frame and building it up a little nicer.

I'm selling my 2015 Epic WC to build one of these as a new race bike.

So far my planned spec is as follows:
    Chisel Frame
    Sid or fox SC 100mm boost fork (maybe a sid brain fork, not sure yet)
    Sram X01 (probably 1x11 as eagle isnt really necessary where i live)
    Sram carbon gxp cranks
    probably magura brakes
    Easton Carbon bars and seatpost
    Sworks Phenom saddle
    Roval Control SL carbon wheels
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    What's up with the frame only colors? I'd be interested if the red or light blue ones are available.

mtbr member
    Get the brain fork for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    I like both build kits for the money, but like the allez smartwelds when they came out... they were conservative with their builds and the bike more than justified nicer parts being put on it... so i will be getting the frame and building it up a little nicer.

I'm selling my 2015 Epic WC to build one of these as a new race bike.

So far my planned spec is as follows:
    Chisel Frame
    Sid or fox SC 100mm boost fork (maybe a sid brain fork, not sure yet)
    Sram X01 (probably 1x11 as eagle isnt really necessary where i live)
    Sram carbon gxp cranks
    probably magura brakes
    Easton Carbon bars and seatpost
    Sworks Phenom saddle
    Roval Control SL carbon wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    What's up with the frame only colors? I'd be interested if the red or light blue ones are available.
    I'm sure there will be more once they release and it starts selling... if it sells like crazy like the allez does.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's what i'm thinking, I've ridden the brain fork for a while and like it, but am not sure if i want to go with the Fox Stepcast or not.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

30° Czech
    Specialized is saying that because thats the max tire size they produce, i'm sure...

Being boost rear spacing and seeing a 2.25 inch tire in there, i would say it will definitely fit more.
    As I said above, I will be ordering one as soon as they come available, so when i get some boost wheels to put on it, i'll test it and post up the findings.
    I would buy it if I could fit 2.4 tire in the back. With 2x setup I'm guessing the chain rubbing will be the limiting factor
    I'm going to build these different levels, with steps, and it'll all be carpeted

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigaK View Post
    I would buy it if I could fit 2.4 tire in the back. With 2x setup I'm guessing the chain rubbing will be the limiting factor
    These should be available at the end of the month. I will try to get one mounted up to try it out.
    I know it will fit the new 2.3 specialized tires as that is what they come spec'd with.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is the perfect High School MTB bike. Alum, good spec. and geo. The frame alone is priced well. This should be a hit for Spesh. I am not sure why they would make a alloy EPIC HT if they are producing this for 18.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm thinking this is a way to carry two epic alloy models

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Most of the geometry is the same as the Epic carbon that I own.

It did drop some weight from the older alloy frames 200 grams or so.
    How does the carbon epic ride? Been contemplating buying a comp carbon and putting some 2.3 inch tires as a lighter option to my FS 29. Do you notice a lot of pedal strikes with the low BB?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    This is the perfect High School MTB bike. Alum, good spec. and geo. The frame alone is priced well. This should be a hit for Spesh. I am not sure why they would make a alloy EPIC HT if they are producing this for 18.
    From what I understand, it seems that the Epic HT alloy is going away (as it was really just a renamed stumpjumper frame rather than a new frame) and the chisel will be taking its place.
    The Alloy Epic HT is not boost anyways, so i doubt they keep it around. Unless they boost it and go with an even better smartweld frame for that one... There is no reason to keep it around.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would avoid the brain fork. PITA to service and being a pretty rare item, specialized does not stock the parts for older models so in the long run you may have trouble keeping it running.

Also is the new Rockshox Judy just a boost version of the 30 gold?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    I would avoid the brain fork. PITA to service and being a pretty rare item, specialized does not stock the parts for older models so in the long run you may have trouble keeping it running.

Also is the new Rockshox Judy just a boost version of the 30 gold?
    My thoughts right now are to buy a boost reba and have the brain damper put into it. I work at a spesh dealer, so i typically sell my bikes every two years or so anyways to get new models, so keeping it for a really long time doesnt usually happen.
    I was debating on reba vs sid and then came up with the brain idea in a reba because between the reba and the sid the ONLY difference between them is the dampers and price. So I can snag a base line 100mm boost reba and put a brain in it and have an identical fork to one that comes on an expert carbon model of the epic or epic HT for WAY less money.

And servicing them just requires sending them into specialized and being that i'll have a spare bike, that shouldn't be too much of a pain.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel1.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel2.jpg

Here are some pics of a frameset. Specialized Concept store posted these.
    Looks way better than the stock photo.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree. That looks way better than website photo. Really considering this

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I would want just a red frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anybody seen NX 10-42 cassette in the specs? I have contacted Specialized to confirm whether it is NX, or 10-42 and they said that website info is correct.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I just looked at the frame only options; my eyesight is only just returning to normal now and I fear I may have done permanent damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I will be picking up a Expert-1x in Medium black/Green as soon as the first shipment hits my LBS. Looks like a great bike at this pricepoint. I always liked Aluminum frames.

Interesting RAFU, the NX cassette is spec'd at 10-42 on the website, but SRAM references the NX at 11-42.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Jon View Post
    I will be picking up a Expert-1x in Medium black/Green as soon as the first shipment hits my LBS. Looks like a great bike at this pricepoint. I always liked Aluminum frames.

Interesting RAFU, the NX cassette is spec'd at 10-42 on the website, but SRAM references the NX at 11-42.
    I believe the 1X version comes with a GX drivetrain But if they did put an NX cassette on it, the cassette is 11-42 rather than 10-42. Might just be a typo.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think they should have gone with 24-38 rather than 22-36 on the Comp chainrings. Too easy to spin out the 11-36 cassette with a 36t outer chainring. If this is a racing hardtail, which I think it is intended to be, people will be getting passed on the flats IMHO. That appears to be my only significant grind with this bike. . . . from what I know so far. Looking at you Judy. . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    @V10Jon,

I think it is just typo too but wanted to have official confirmation from Specialized.

@jeffj,

I have 36-22 in my Superfly and it allows you to ride 40km/h with cadence 40. With 38t I would have to use granny gear more often on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I called Specialized and confirmed the Typo on the Expert-1X model with SRAM 1x11. It does indeed use a standard NX 11-42 cassette. They said they will work on fixing the website.

mtbr member

New chisel built

I just got hold of a small chisel frameset. Gonna built it up light, hoping to get it below 10kg??

FRAME : CHISEL small
    Fork: 2018 Rockshox sid rl
    Grpset : sram xx1 with Raceface next sl cranks
    Brakes : xtr race m9000
    Cockpit: Tandell carbon bars and seatpost, ti bolts, newmen sl stem, Fizik gobi saddle
    Wheelset: Tandell carbon rims internal 24mm in kelvar finish, cx ray spokes laced to newmen sl hubs

Specialized Chisel discussion-20170720_130846.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170720_223001.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170720_223041.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170711_223715.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-20170720_223026.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by joezuri View Post
    I just got hold of a small chisel frameset. Gonna built it up light, hoping to get it below 10kg??

Cockpit: Tandell carbon bars and seatpost, ti bolts, newmen sl stem, Fizik gobi saddle
    Wheelset: Tandell carbon rims internal 24mm in kelvar finish, cx ray spokes laced to newmen sl hubs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170720_130846.jpg 
Views:	2312 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	1147656

Name:	20170720_223001.jpg 
Views:	1304 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	1147657

Name:	20170720_223041.jpg 
Views:	1437 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1147658

Name:	20170711_223715.jpg 
Views:	4888 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	1147659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170720_223026.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1147660
    I think you will be way below 10kg with that setup.

With a factory weight of 24.4lb, you can drop a bunch just with new wheels and going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Name:	20170720_130846.jpg 
Views:	2312 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	1147656
    NIIICCEEE
    Yeah you should be WAY under 10kg.
    I have parts coming in for mine right now but haven't been able to order a frame yet as they aren't available yet in the US. At least not last i checked.

I've got the following coming in for the build:
    Sram X01 11sp drivetrain
    Magura MT6 brakes w/ SL rotors
    Boost Reba RL (will most likely be putting brain damper in from Specialized, which will essentially make it a Sid brain fork as the uppers and lowers are pretty much the same between forks)
    Roval Control SL wheels
    Easton EC70 Carbon seat post and handlebars
    Haven't decided on cranks yet... trying to find some Raceface Turbine cranks, might go with aluminum X1 sram cranks... not sure yet.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thing looks pretty sweet. Thoughts on putting a 120mm fork on it and using it as a lightweight "trail" bike for rooty east coast singletrack?? (charlotte nc).

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Could make it light in the front end on steep climbs and steer like a dump truck. Not sure it's worth it to spend that much coin on one just to find it doesn't work well. If you get a fork that can be converted from 120 to 100, and back, no harm in trying, but you may not have that 120 mm travel trail hardtail you were hoping for (if that is actually what you desire).

mtbr member
    I think you will be way below 10kg with that setup.

With a factory weight of 24.4lb, you can drop a bunch just with new wheels and going tubeless.
    I was going for a 2016 full carbon cube frame.. Then I saw this at my local dealer andr never looked back. Rims and hubs are otw. Will post again on the final built.

Fyi:
    Cube full carbon frame, 1090g (manufacture listed)
    Specialized chisel alloy 1400g actual

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was going for a 2016 full carbon cube frame.. Then I saw this at my local dealer andr never looked back. Rims and hubs are otw. Will post again on the final built.

Fyi:
    i bet the california fade colorway would be a tad lighter too since it's probably anodized or powder coated rather than a full on gloss paint job.

I have an Allez Smartwed for my road bike and idk that i'll ever buy a carbon frame for road after riding it. At least not any time soon.
    I'm pumped to get my Chisel frame in and build it up.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    Any idea if this will fit 27.5x2.8 tires? I know my 120mm Pike will, but wondering about the frame?
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Fyi:
    Did you have to use any spacers with the Raceface cranks and bb??
    I ordered some raceface cranks to go on this build as well. Wondering if i'll need any spacers.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Did you have to use any spacers with the Raceface cranks and bb??
    I ordered some raceface cranks to go on this build as well. Wondering if i'll need any spacers.
    I used the Raceface cinch 30mm threaded bb. One spacer on the drive side and nothing on the non drive side. I followed the rf instructions since my wheels are not here I can't say much for the chain line. My experience with rf cranks they are boost compatible and doesn't require any specific boost cranks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My experience with rf cranks they are boost compatible and doesn't require any specific boost cranks
    They put a 3mm offset on the chainrings to accommodate Boost spacing. That way, you can change chainrings to use the same cranks on many different bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Noob question on the expert 1x11 model...

If I wanted to swap out the 11x42 NX cassette for a XG-1150 10x42, would the hub need to be converted to XD? Hub spec below:

Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Noob question on the expert 1x11 model...

If I wanted to swap out the 11x42 NX cassette for a XG-1150 10x42, would the hub need to be converted to XD? Hub spec below:

Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h
    Yes and i dont think those hubs are able to be converted. You'd be better off getting a shimano cassette to upgrade unless you want to switch wheels altogether.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I used the Raceface cinch 30mm threaded bb. One spacer on the drive side and nothing on the non drive side. I followed the rf instructions since my wheels are not here I can't say much for the chain line. My experience with rf cranks they are boost compatible and doesn't require any specific boost cranks
    Awesome! I got my cranks without a chainring, so i will order a boost chainring for them and then the raceface BB and i should be set!

Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics of your build!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    So, I assume the BB shell is 73mm?
    Looking to put a King BB on the Cal Fade I ordered Sunday, but they require adapters based on shell width.

TIA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit View Post
    So, I assume the BB shell is 73mm?
    Looking to put a King BB on the Cal Fade I ordered Sunday, but they require adapters based on shell width.

TIA
    Are you in the US??? I've been waiting on the Cali Fade to come available for several weeks now.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I called Specialized and confirmed the Typo on the Expert-1X model with SRAM 1x11. It does indeed use a standard NX 11-42 cassette. They said they will work on fixing the website.
    Well, that's pretty disappointing...
    A complete GX would have been so much better.

42T cog is already hard for climbing around here, and now with the lack of the speed the 10T cog provides makes it so much worse.

The dark side is quicker
    Yes, in the US. To my knowledge nothing is really "available" yet, but expected release dates start in August. I went through a sponsor shop to get one pre-ordered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, in the US. To my knowledge nothing is really "available" yet, but expected release dates start in August. I went through a sponsor shop to get one pre-ordered.
    Ahhhh, ok. That makes more sense.
    I've been checking the B2B site every chance i get, looking for them to be available... it never shows though haha. Beginning of august isn't too far off though.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo.ghd View Post
    Well, that's pretty disappointing...
    A complete GX would have been so much better.

42T cog is already hard for climbing around here, and now with the lack of the speed the 10T cog provides makes it so much worse.
    I agree. I was wanting the 10T for a higher top end. It feels like the GX build is really a blend of "NX Level" components with a GX derailleur and shifter thrown in. Wish they would have used a XD hub.

My LBS is getting a SRAM 1x11 build in on Monday in my size. I'll probably still go grab it. I think if you swapped in some Crest MK3's with a lighter 10T-42T XD cassette you'd have a 20-22lb beast.

Anxious to what joezuri's build comes out to with high end components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I agree. I was wanting the 10T for a higher top end. It feels like the GX build is really a blend of "NX Level" components with a GX derailleur and shifter thrown in. Wish they would have used a XD hub.

My LBS is getting a SRAM 1x11 build in on Monday in my size. I'll probably still go grab it. I think if you swapped in some Crest MK3's with a lighter 10T-42T XD cassette you'd have a 20-22lb beast.

Anxious to what joezuri's build comes out to with high end components.
    I dont think it would take very many changes at all to turn this bike into a sub 20 race rmachine
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Let's hope not, I just bought a 2018 S-WORKS Epic Hardtail.

I plan on getting a Chisel fairly soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Let's hope not, I just bought a 2018 S-WORKS Epic Hardtail.

I plan on getting a Chisel fairly soon.
    So assuming the same build on both, the chisel will only be about a pound heavier. Which is impressive, especially with how light the Epic HT is!

Anxious to see how well the chisel rides. The allez smartweld is down right impressive, so hopefully they follow suit with the chisel.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wheelbase for medium is over an inch longer than Stumpjumper hardtails of the past. That will change the ride noticeably.

The dark side is quicker
    120mm Fox 34 is going on mine.
    Going for a "Hard Country" build. HT angle should end up around 69*, so no dump truck steering there. BB height, and everything else is acceptable for my style and location.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    Thing looks pretty sweet. Thoughts on putting a 120mm fork on it and using it as a lightweight "trail" bike for rooty east coast singletrack?? (charlotte nc).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My LBS is getting a couple of complete models in tomorrow i believe.
    I will try to go grab some pics and weights and post them up.

Framesets still aren't available in anything but a large and XL in the US as of now.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    Well, my CA Fade is an XL....just waiting for the call to come pick it up.

My LBS is getting a couple of complete models in tomorrow i believe.
    I will try to go grab some pics and weights and post them up.

Framesets still aren't available in anything but a large and XL in the US as of now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, my CA Fade is an XL....just waiting for the call to come pick it up.
    Should arrive soon i would think!

Post up some pictures when you get it!!! Anxious to see how it looks in non-stock photos
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Just picked mine up today. Took a few quick pics. I'm about as casual as riders get, so I won't have any good feedback on how the bike rides.

Makes my old 26" look like a toy.

Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel4.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel3.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel1.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel2.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel5.jpg

The dark side is quicker
    Looks Sweet!

Just picked mine up today. Took a few quick pics. I'm about as casual as riders get, so I won't have any good feedback on how the bike rides.

Makes my old 26" look like a toy.

Name:	chisel4.jpg 
Views:	32269 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	1149924

Name:	chisel3.jpg 
Views:	13891 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	1149923

Name:	chisel1.jpg 
Views:	5634 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	1149921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chisel2.jpg 
Views:	13585 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	1149922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chisel5.jpg 
Views:	9562 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	1149925

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What's the stem length on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    What's the stem length on the bike?
    90mm

mtbr member
    Awesome bike v10jon.. I like the satin finish on that one. Specialized did a great job with the cable routing. And the 29er really dwarfed that 26..

mtbr member
    Great color combo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cool thing I just found out... the womens base level chisel that shows in the US as "Gloss Black / Chameleon" actually has logos that fade from black-blue-purple, like the sworks framesets in the chameleon colorway.
    Last edited by Tyrich88; 08-03-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the red one coming in Friday. Giving my 2013 ht SJ to my niece who has an S-Works 2001 SJ that she rides and races occasionally. I have a 2014 SJ Evo Expert Carbon FSR but I ride the hardtail mostly simply because it is a better workout. Contrary to others, because I get off the seat or stand a lot on the hardtail I find my lower back and abdomen are far stronger if I consistently ride the ht bike. I am faster on the FSR though and use it in a race or two each year. I like this slightly longer wheelbase and slightly relaxed head angle associated with this Chisel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Does anyone know if there is a XD Driver available for Chisel's stock hub?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo.ghd View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a XD Driver available for Chisel's stock hub?
    I havent been able to get my hands on one just yet to see. But I would assume there is not a way to convert it to XD.

Probably would be a worth while investment to get a nice wheelset for it anyways. Then you can have the nice wheels set up with an XD and lighter cassette... and have a backup wheelset!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member

Teaser.....

Almost there, my rims just arrived and yet to be laced. 5.2kg wout chain, wheels, rotors, tyres, cassette and pedals. Rims at around 360g each, 24mm internal. Going to run tubeless with maxxis ikon maxxspeed 2.2.

Specialized Chisel discussion-20170806_150247.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170806_133914.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170806_134043.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anybody know if the stock rims can be set up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Anybody know if the stock rims can be set up tubeless?
    Yes, I have a chisel comp (U.K.) and can confirm that my stock wheels had 2bliss rim strips preinstalled. Only needed to add tubeless valves and sealant. Went on super easy, only used a track pump.

Annoying thing is that it only comes with a standard seat collar, and a quick release in 30.8 is simply not available. Only option is a dropper....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those of you ordering framesets, i found these pictures earlier today.

Helped me make my decision!

So as soon as they are available in my size i'll be ordering the Cali Fade and throwing all my parts on it that have been waiting in my garage for a month.

Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel11.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel12.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel13.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-chisel14.jpg
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Specialized Chisel discussion-img_0846.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pic. I'm having a ton of trouble using this website on my iPhone. This bike was a replacement for an '11 Stump EVO ht 1x10.
    I'm very happy with it as it's much smoother and having that extra gear also helps. I did swap out a few vital components and a few more could make it even lighter but here is my list of what's on it:

'18 Chisel Expert
    Carbon Rovals w/2.3 GC and 2.3 FT
    Sworks 700 flat bar w/xl Enduro grips
    100mm stem (came with a 90)
    Sworks seatpost 400mm
    Phenom Pro 155
    Spec rib cage II (plastic)
    Shimano xt pedals

It weighed 25lbs with the carbon wheels and stock cockpit components. I was surprised I shaved that with carbon bits but none the less the bike still has a lot of room to lighten up. The Cali fade is a great looking frame but I couldn't pass up the price on this and pretty much was able to swap out a lot of parts. Carbon cranks and some smaller tires could easily shed another pound or so. The bike is still not as fast as my '14 Epic WC but still a great fast ht none the less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg 
Views:	1336 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	1150818

Sorry for the sideways pic. I'm having a ton of trouble using this website on my iPhone. This bike was a replacement for an '11 Stump EVO ht 1x10.
    I'm very happy with it as it's much smoother and having that extra gear also helps. I did swap out a few vital components and a few more could make it even lighter but here is my list of what's on it:

'18 Chisel Expert
    Carbon Rovals w/2.3 GC and 2.3 FT
    Sworks 700 flat bar w/xl Enduro grips
    100mm stem (came with a 90)
    Sworks seatpost 400mm
    Phenom Pro 155
    Spec rib cage II (plastic)
    Shimano xt pedals

It weighed 25lbs with the carbon wheels and stock cockpit components. I was surprised I shaved that with carbon bits but none the less the bike still has a lot of room to lighten up. The Cali fade is a great looking frame but I couldn't pass up the price on this and pretty much was able to swap out a lot of parts. Carbon cranks and some smaller tires could easily shed another pound or so. The bike is still not as fast as my '14 Epic WC but still a great fast ht none the less.
    Interesting... the one we have in our LBS is 24# in bone stock config with plastic test ride pedals.
    I'm shooting to get mine around 20 but hopefully less... we will see.
    I will be ordering the cali fade, if they ever come available, and building it up with x01, carbon cockpit, control SL's and some raceface turbine cranks.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah I was surprised too with the weight. Sounds like yours will hit the weight your shooting for. Love that Cali fade!!! SL's are on my list too, upgraditis is real
    Peace from Hell...

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    Yeah I was surprised too with the weight. Sounds like yours will hit the weight your shooting for. Love that Cali fade!!! SL's are on my list too, upgraditis is real
    Yes it is! and I will say, I just got my new Control SL's in last week and they are awesome!
    Can't wait to mount them up on the chisel and get to riding them!

I rode a stock chisel we just got in on saturday and the thing is FAST! Pumped to get this in as an alternative to the new epic i'll be ordering here in a few months!
    I'm going all in on smartweld tech and building them both up decently nice.

After owning the allez smartwelds i'm sold on the tech. well worth the money.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got back from the shop.
    Paid for my Cali Fade frameset and they said it should ship "any day now"

So hopefully more of these will be hitting stores soon.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    Just got back from the shop.
    Paid for my Cali Fade frameset and they said it should ship "any day now"

So hopefully more of these will be hitting stores soon.
    Oh so impatient!!!!!

Everything is here except the frame. (the only thing I actually has to buy new was the forks)
    Not sure what the frame weight is going to be, but estimating 1500g (for an XL) my build will be just under 23lbs. Trying to decide what wheels will replace my Stans Arch (1770g), but the Arch just may stay. A little beefier than other things out there, and they've been paid for for over a year. :-)

Cali Fade frame XL
    Fox 34 Factory Fork (29 boost)
    Arch MK3 wheels
    Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 front/ Ikon 2.2 rear
    XX1 cassette
    XX1 chain
    X01 Shifter/R. Der
    Next SL Gen 4 cranks/RF Cinch 32t/RF BB
    XTR trail pedals
    Syntace P6 carbon seatpost
    Enve RSR bars and Enve 70mm stem
    Phenom S-works saddle
    XT brakes/SLX rotors (ordering MT8's next month)

Ugh...come on Mr. Brown!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh so impatient!!!!!

Everything is here except the frame. (the only thing I actually has to buy new was the forks)
    Not sure what the frame weight is going to be, but estimating 1500g (for an XL) my build will be just under 23lbs. Trying to decide what wheels will replace my Stans Arch (1770g), but the Arch just may stay. A little beefier than other things out there, and they've been paid for for over a year. :-)

Cali Fade frame XL
    Arch MK3 wheels
    XX1 cassette
    XX1 chain
    X01 Shifter/R. Der
    XTR trail pedals
    Phenom S-works saddle

On the brakes, i have MT8's and LOVE them!

Sometimes you can find them as new takeoffs for like $150 a set which is crazy cheap. That's what i paid for mine and they were unused.

As for the wheels... Roval control SL's are phenomenal if you can swing them.
    I haven't ridden the new ones yet, but by everything i've heard they're even better than the old ones which were pretty awesome.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    On the brakes, i have MT8's and LOVE them!

Sometimes you can find them as new takeoffs for like $150 a set which is crazy cheap. That's what i paid for mine and they were unused.

As for the wheels... Roval control SL's are phenomenal if you can swing them.
    I haven't ridden the new ones yet, but by everything i've heard they're even better than the old ones which were pretty awesome.
    Yup they are. Had a few different versions of the old ones. I get a pretty decent hookup on Spesh stuff, so may have to check into the new version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yup they are. Had a few different versions of the old ones. I get a pretty decent hookup on Spesh stuff, so may have to check into the new version.
    I do too. I race for a specialized dealer and help out there as needed. otherwise i wouldn't have bought them as quickly as i did haha.

Really looking forward to getting this build done and seeing how it turns out.

Hopefully your frame comes in soon!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My red Chisel, a medium. It weighs 24 lbs 6 oz with Egg Beater pedals given 2 separate digital scales. I have it set up tubeless with lots of sealant. Wheelset isn't light but it appears extremely well built.Specialized Chisel discussion-img_20170808_162601850_hdr.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Chisel discussion-img_20170808_171230559.jpg  

Last edited by rakerdeal; 08-22-2017 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I rode my new Chisel today for the first time on a trail here and my first impression is that it rides somewhat more subdued than my previous 3 SJ hardtail 29ers. Still lively but I think the slacker head angle and slightly longer wheeelbase are noticeable.
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 08-08-2017 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rode my new Chisel today for the first time on a trail here and my first impression is that it rides somewhat more subdued than my previous 3 SJ hardtail 29ers. Still lively but I think the slacker head angle and slightly longer wheeelbase are noticeable.
    were your stumpjumpers carbon or aluminum?
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    My red Chisel, a medium. It weighs right at 25 lbs with Egg Beater pedals given 2 separate digital scales. I have it set up tubeless with lots of sealant. Wheelset isn't light but it appears extremely well built.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_162601850_HDR.jpg 
Views:	29762 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	1151128
    Is that ur garage or a bike shop?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    were your stumpjumpers carbon or aluminum?
    One M-4 aluminum, one S-Works Carbon and one Comp Carbon. All given to family members as I bought something else. I am pretty exhausted from a long ride yesterday morning on my 2014 SJ Expert Evo so it will be a day or two before I ride the red Chisel enough to get a better feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One M-4 aluminum, one S-Works Carbon and one Comp Carbon. All given to family members as I bought something else. I am pretty exhausted from a long ride yesterday morning on my 2014 SJ Expert Evo so it will be a day or two before I ride the red Chisel enough to get a better feel.
    Cool. Look forward to hearing what you think!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

The waiting is killing me!

I ordered a Size medium Cali Fade about a month ago through my LBS and the waiting is murder. I am building it up with XT 11 sp drive train, XT brakes, SID RL, crest rims with DT Swiss 240 front hub 350 rear. Should be pretty light and fast! Anybody ordered a medium and gotten delivery yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is that ur garage or a bike shop?
    My garage.
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 08-10-2017 at 05:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieFly View Post
    I ordered a Size medium Cali Fade about a month ago through my LBS and the waiting is murder. I am building it up with XT 11 sp drive train, XT brakes, SID RL, crest rims with DT Swiss 240 front hub 350 rear. Should be pretty light and fast! Anybody ordered a medium and gotten delivery yet.
    When i ordered mine the other day they said it should be shipping "any day now". So hopefully our long wait is over. I tried to wait until they were available to pay for one and order but i just kept buying parts with the money so it was getting dangerous haha.

Sounds like we are going to have some great builds going on around here!

I have a Boost reba thats never been ridden if anyone is interested in it for a chisel build.

Edit: Reba is sold.
    Last edited by Tyrich88; 08-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, maybe I can get the words right without misleading anyone.....After riding the Chisel ten miles today on a somewhat rooty somewhat rocky trail today I am feeling that the bike does ride differently than the 3 Stumpjumper hardtails I owned. It is more subdued-- meaning calmer-- on the bumps than the SJ--- given the same fork pressure, tire pressure, etc. I'm guessing the longer wheelbase is involved along with the head angle being more relaxed. The bike seems really solid. The wheelset is heavier than the ones I have been using for years (Stan's Crest; Stan's Race Gold, Stans Arch....I have all three available for my 2014 SJ Evo Expert 29er full suspension)--- but the wheelset is solid and I do not feel the flex that I feel with the Stan's wheels.

The one thing I particularly like about the bike is how it feels when I stand and hammer the pedals. The cockpit feels roomier than the SJ 29ers; I can move around more without getting too far forward so easily. The bike is (to me) obviously/significantly better downhill than the SJ's.

That's all for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anybody know how much the stock wheels weigh on the Chisel and if it's possible to save weight on a wheelset that costs less than $800?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    Does anybody know how much the stock wheels weigh on the Chisel and if it's possible to save weight on a wheelset that costs less than $800?
    I would assume the stock wheels are around 1800 grams (thats usually pretty accurate on their lower level builds like this)

Any stans set should do you pretty well. You could also probably score some lightly used carbon rovals for about that much.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OK, maybe I can get the words right without misleading anyone.....After riding the Chisel ten miles today on a somewhat rooty somewhat rocky trail today I am feeling that the bike does ride differently than the 3 Stumpjumper hardtails I owned. It is more subdued-- meaning calmer-- on the bumps than the SJ--- given the same fork pressure, tire pressure, etc. I'm guessing the longer wheelbase is involved along with the head angle being more relaxed. The bike seems really solid. The wheelset is heavier than the ones I have been using for years (Stan's Crest; Stan's Race Gold, Stans Arch....I have all three available for my 2014 SJ Evo Expert 29er full suspension)--- but the wheelset is solid and I do not feel the flex that I feel with the Stan's wheels.

The one thing I particularly like about the bike is how it feels when I stand and hammer the pedals. The cockpit feels roomier than the SJ 29ers; I can move around more without getting too far forward so easily. The bike is (to me) obviously/significantly better downhill than the SJ's.

That's all for now.
    Good feedback! Thanks!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ordered a fish scale today on amazon. When it gets in I will take the front wheel+tire off and see what it weighs. (with tires/tubes and without)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My digital scale hit the skids so I could only manually compare my Chisel wheels to my various Stans wheels, Arch, Crest, Race Gold. The wheels are heavier than my Arch wheels which of course are my heaviest wheelset. I never weighed my Arch wheelset as weight wasn't as important. But my guess is the Chisel wheels will be around 2000 grams.
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 08-11-2017 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Do you guys think it's worthwhile to just upgrade to the Epic Hardtail Comp ($2500) instead of buying the Chisel and a new wheel set? It seems that the price difference is quickly absorbed by a decent wheel set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I defer this question to those who know more about the wording and details/specifics of wheels for the Specialized bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The 2018 Epic hardtail comp comes with Roval control alloys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hesitationpoin it looks (and I am not the expert) that the Epic Comp uses the Control rims but not the Control hubs.

From reading the website it looks to me as if Specialized is using a variety of different combinations of their wheel and hub components on their lower end Epic bike and ones like the Chisel. Not sure the wording is consistent on some of these.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Tyrich88 I might add to my discussion that I have been around the circle as to mountain bikes, going from 26 hardtails all the way to the full suspension 29er. When I finished racing 3 years ago I was on a 23 lb full suspension Specialized bike that literally ate the trail while I pedaled as if I were in a spin class. The trail in most cases no longer was challenging. The really light 29er hardtail SJ had been surpassed by the new precise dual suspension technology. I quit racing; I love simplicity; I am delighted with the Chisel because it is simple, inexpensive, and the weight is reasonable. The GX groupset is at least one pound heavier than the best available 1x11 groupset; the wheelset is at least one pound heavier than many upper end wheelsets; the frame is about a pound heavier than the Epic carbon hardtail; etc. But I like the ride of a 25 lb hardtail and I love the ride of a 25 lb hardtail with a slightly slacker front end with a tad more suspension. With the exception of going uphill in a race...to me a 25 lb hardtail rides far better than my former 22 lb racing hardtails--- particularly those older hardtails with 71 degree front ends. So I ride the bike by choice. I'm older, the exercise is great for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    hesitationpoin it looks (and I am not the expert) that the Epic Comp uses the Control rims but not the Control hubs.

From reading the website it looks to me as if Specialized is using a variety of different combinations of their wheel and hub components on their lower end Epic bike and ones like the Chisel. Not sure the wording is consistent on some of these.
    I think you are right. The $3800 epic clearly states roval hubs but not the $2500 version (I have a printout for the 2018 which sells for $2500).

Specialized also emailed me and told me the 2017 Epic hardtail for $2600 weighs 24lbs for a large. hmmmm....decisions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's my medium Chisel set up tubeless, no pedals. Everything else is stock.

Specialized Chisel discussion-20170812_204536.jpg

Specialized Chisel discussion-20170812_204547.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi guys, very nice all Chisel!

I'm interested in this bike, but I have doubts about the 1x11 (30t 11-42), is it possible to put this bike a cassette sunrace 11-46?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    ^^That is amazingly light for an aluminum bike that retails for under $2000. Can you confirm whether the wheels are boost or whether it's just a 148 thru axle with the ability to accommodate boost wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExhaustPipe View Post
    Here's my medium Chisel set up tubeless, no pedals. Everything else is stock.
    Did you weigh it stock? I just weighed a Med Chisel Comp model at the LBS yesterday and it was right at 26lbs.. Tubed and plastic pedals.

Must be the 1x11 that dropped the weight..

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    ^good info. I was wondering about the weight difference between the two builds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Weighed stock in the shop includes tubes, front reflector, rear reflector, the plastic chain retention thingy that liters up the inside of the cassette, and those plastic pedals. My bike the 1x11 Expert model, tubeless with those 740 gram Fast Trak tires, two bottle holders, Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3 pedals (266 grams), and a couple of Allen wrenches fixed under the seat weighs 25 lbs. The bike without pedals will - as poster ExhaustPipe displayed - come in just over 23.5 lbs tubeless and a tad over 24 lbs with tubes ex those plastic reflector/chain retention parts that you take off to keep from being embarrassed.

So running Renegade 2.3's should get the bike weight down to about 23 without pedals.

By the way, for anyone considering the bike, I consider the 1x11 GX SRAM drivetrain easily the best I've ever had. I have XTR, various years older stuff, on all my 5 other bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My medium 1x11 without pedals and with a bottle cage is 24.69lb (with tubes).

Front wheel with tire and tube - 1980g
    Front wheel - 975g
    front tire - 720g

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COMTBR View Post
    Did you weigh it stock? I just weighed a Med Chisel Comp model at the LBS yesterday and it was right at 26lbs.. Tubed and plastic pedals.

Must be the 1x11 that dropped the weight..
    I didn't. The shop set it up tubeless before I picked it up.

The dark side is quicker
    ^^That is amazingly light for an aluminum bike that retails for under $2000. Can you confirm whether the wheels are boost or whether it's just a 148 thru axle with the ability to accommodate boost wheels?
    148/110 is Boost. Specs clearly call out; 15x110 and 148x12 hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here we go: No pedals or bottle holders, tubeless with a boat load of Stan's liquid...23 lbs 11 oz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Chisel discussion-img_20170814_141104838.jpg  

The dark side is quicker
    Checked my dealer Friday. Status still showed, "Early August". You seeing anything different? Technically, Friday was Mid-August....wheres my frame suckas? LOL

When i ordered mine the other day they said it should be shipping "any day now". So hopefully our long wait is over. I tried to wait until they were available to pay for one and order but i just kept buying parts with the money so it was getting dangerous haha.

Sounds like we are going to have some great builds going on around here!

I have a Boost reba thats never been ridden if anyone is interested in it for a chisel build.

Edit: Reba is sold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    148/110 is Boost. Specs clearly call out; 15x110 and 148x12 hubs.
    It actually says 12x148 thru axle which is different from saying that the hubs are 148. If you look at the higher end Epic and Epic hardtails, the wording actually says the hubs have 148 spacing rather than a 148 thru axle.

I am wondering if anyone that has a Chisel in the garage can tell me if the hubs are boost or whether it's a 142 with a boost conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hesitationpoin wrote:
    I am wondering if anyone that has a Chisel in the garage can tell me if the hubs are boost or whether it's a 142 with a boost conversion kit.

Answer:

Boost, not a conversion kit.

The dark side is quicker
    It actually says 12x148 thru axle which is different from saying that the hubs are 148. If you look at the higher end Epic and Epic hardtails, the wording actually says the hubs have 148 spacing rather than a 148 thru axle.

If you look in the specs, the hubs are listed as 110/148. Also, very unlikely that Specialized would ship a converted 142 wheelset with a Boost spec'd bike.

And FWIW, my Santa Cruz Hightower is a "boost" bike, but actually uses a 142 thru axle. The way they did the der hanger allows them to do that. I have 3 different Boost wheel sets and they all fit perfectly fine on the SC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    hesitationpoin wrote:

Answer:

Boost, not a conversion kit.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you look in the specs, the hubs are listed as 110/148. Also, very unlikely that Specialized would ship a converted 142 wheelset with a Boost spec'd bike.

I got suspicious because of the slight difference in wording in the high end epic builds. Plus, Giant has pulled this crap in the past so I wouldn't put it past anybody. Check out the discussion starting at about the 4:00 mark in this youtube review of the Giant Anthem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27w1Hi4NWs

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mine also came with a 2.3 in the back, not a 2.1 like stated on the website.

mtbr member
    Actually Spesh has been less than honest in recent past about their boost wheels.
    I forget which model but a few folks got non boost wheels on their new boost bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How's the ride quality on the Chisel over roots, rocks etc? Notice much chatter?

Does it come with a 2017 or 2018 Reba fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Checked my dealer Friday. Status still showed, "Early August". You seeing anything different? Technically, Friday was Mid-August....wheres my frame suckas? LOL
    HAHA I was actually going to go check today. I've been out of town the last few days so i haven't heard anything. I'll let you know what I found out.... and i agree, it IS NOT "early august" anymore! It is officially the 15th. Tomorrow is LATE august hahaha
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My medium 1x11 without pedals and with a bottle cage is 24.69lb (with tubes).

Front wheel with tire and tube - 1980g
    Front wheel - 975g
    front tire - 720g
    Holy cow! Did you weigh the rear wheel?? That's one heavy front wheel!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tyrich88 I might add to my discussion that I have been around the circle as to mountain bikes, going from 26 hardtails all the way to the full suspension 29er. When I finished racing 3 years ago I was on a 23 lb full suspension Specialized bike that literally ate the trail while I pedaled as if I were in a spin class. The trail in most cases no longer was challenging. The really light 29er hardtail SJ had been surpassed by the new precise dual suspension technology. I quit racing; I love simplicity; I am delighted with the Chisel because it is simple, inexpensive, and the weight is reasonable. The GX groupset is at least one pound heavier than the best available 1x11 groupset; the wheelset is at least one pound heavier than many upper end wheelsets; the frame is about a pound heavier than the Epic carbon hardtail; etc. But I like the ride of a 25 lb hardtail and I love the ride of a 25 lb hardtail with a slightly slacker front end with a tad more suspension. With the exception of going uphill in a race...to me a 25 lb hardtail rides far better than my former 22 lb racing hardtails--- particularly those older hardtails with 71 degree front ends. So I ride the bike by choice. I'm older, the exercise is great for me.
    I can absolutely understand where you're coming from. I have a rigid single speed that I had down to about 18 lbs a while back and i've since added some other parts to it and have it around 20+ right now and it rides so much better! Doesn't bounce around on top of the rocks as much, stays planted and handles better because of it.

I'm coming off of a 22lb carbon Epic WC, so i'm very excited to see how this bike fills that void.

I've got a really good build lined up for it so i've got some high hopes!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sooo..... i talked to the manager at our LBS and he said it's been pushed back to late august now on Cali Fade.
    He said 2 were available in the other colorway in a medium though.

EDIT: Double checked the dealer site and it is pushed back to late august. Some frame sizes are pushed back even further than that.
    Last edited by Tyrich88; 08-16-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Holy cow! Did you weigh the rear wheel?? That's one heavy front wheel!
    I was too lazy to pull the cassette off, so no not yet haha.

I was hoping someone would chime in and say "Take the front wheel weight and add XXXg to get the approx rear wheel weight"

edit: oh yeah, the disc was still on the front wheel when I weighed it... oops
    Last edited by V10Jon; 08-16-2017 at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was too lazy to pull the cassette off, so no not yet haha.

I was hoping someone would chime in and say "Take the front wheel weight and add XXXg to get the approx rear wheel weight"

edit: oh yeah, the disc was still on the front wheel when I weighed it... oops
    Disc doesn't usually weigh that much... maybe 100g.
    With a 875g front wheel... the back wheel is probably 1100-1200g. Really depends on the hub they are using though. either way thats a pretty stout wheelset.
    Weighed my control SLs yesterday with plugs (never used plugs before and it came with them, figured i would try them instead of rim strips) and valve stems and they were 1383g so that automatically drops about 1.5 lbs off of the stock weight just from wheels! I also have an x01 cassette that is about 260g vs the ~530g of the NX cassette.

Run some lighter tires than those new specialized ones and you're dropping 2+ lbs pretty easily with lighter wheels, tires and cassette.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    With a 875g front wheel... the back wheel is probably 1100-1200g. Really depends on the hub they are using though. either way thats a pretty stout wheelset.
    Weighed my control SLs yesterday with plugs (never used plugs before and it came with them, figured i would try them instead of rim strips) and valve stems and they were 1383g so that automatically drops about 1.5 lbs off of the stock weight just from wheels! I also have an x01 cassette that is about 260g vs the ~530g of the NX cassette.

Run some lighter tires than those new specialized ones and you're dropping 2+ lbs pretty easily with lighter wheels, tires and cassette.
    you are pretty much right on. I took the cassette off and weighed the rear wheel with tire/tube/disk. It was 2150g. When you back out the weight for those components (approximately) you get a 1050+/- gram rear wheel. 1950g +/- wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you are pretty much right on. I took the cassette off and weighed the rear wheel with tire/tube/disk. It was 2150g. When you back out the weight for those components (approximately) you get a 1050+/- gram rear wheel. 1950g +/- wheelset.
    Lucky guess on my part!
    That's a pretty heavy wheelset though. That entire set up would make up just over 10 pounds of the stock bike's weight if you add in the cassette.
    Glad to hear those wheels perform well though. Usually those low end, heavier wheels are heavy for no reason in my experience. My last set of those low end aluminum wheels was probably 4 years ago and they were like noodles and weighed a TON.

Anxious to see what my entire build weighs in at (if my frame will ever arrive). Thinking it might be competitive with some of the Epic HT carbon weights now that i've done a bit of math on it.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ive enjoyed reading everyones planned builds for the new Chisel. I am still patiently waiting for the frame only to become available. Sounds like it will still be another week or so. Anyways my current build list is:

Rockshox SID RLC
    Sram GX Eagle w/ Raceface Turbine
    crank
    SLX M7000 brakes
    Stans Crest MK3 w/ Hope Pro4 hubs
    Sworks bar and seatpost
    Sworks Phenom saddle.

Cant wait to see everyones finished builds!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ExhaustPipe View Post
    Mine also came with a 2.3 in the back, not a 2.1 like stated on the website.
    From reading the wording on Specialized's website I can't help but think it is a tad scrambled eggs as to what words are used or omitted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As to saving weight- the cassette to GX level seems to be the most productive dollars-to-grams outlay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Yep, my guess is the wheelset is just over 2000 grams. Won't be off by much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As to saving weight- the cassette to GX level seems to be the most productive dollars-to-grams outlay.
    Not if you buy a used cassette! But since it's not on an XD driver you'd have to buy wheels as well.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    The purple disco frames are available now...late august for the Cali fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Znalley13 View Post
    Ive enjoyed reading everyones planned builds for the new Chisel. I am still patiently waiting for the frame only to become available. Sounds like it will still be another week or so. Anyways my current build list is:

Rockshox SID RLC
    Sram GX Eagle w/ Raceface Turbine
    crank
    SLX M7000 brakes
    Stans Crest MK3 w/ Hope Pro4 hubs
    Sworks bar and seatpost
    Sworks Phenom saddle.

Cant wait to see everyones finished builds!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yep......... STILL WAITING
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member

Finally......

Finally completed my chisel built. Got my wheels laced today. It was way off the 10kg mark. Very happy. Can't wait to ride it this weekend. Carpark test didn't say much, except I feel the stem Abit long at 80mm. I tested the small stock that comes with a 70mm, should have gone with a 70mm.. Well here it is.. 8.86kg with pedals! Disco disco

Specialized Chisel discussion-20170818_020107.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170818_013136.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170817_212655.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-20170817_214102.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-20170818_013011.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thats awesome! Thats a fantastic weight for an aluminum hardtail!
    Stock Sworks Epic HT isn't much lighter than that!
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Makes my 3000 dollar s WORKS frame look stupid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My LBS told me that L and XL frames are available but not Small and Med. Can

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Please take a pic of your bike out where we can really see the colors without a busy background of a bike shop!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Omg!

S
    Finally completed my chisel built. Got my wheels laced today. It was way off the 10kg mark. Very happy. Can't wait to ride it this weekend. Carpark test didn't say much, except I feel the stem Abit long at 80mm. I tested the small stock that comes with a 70mm, should have gone with a 70mm.. Well here it is.. 8.86kg with pedals! Disco disco

Name:	20170818_020107.jpg 
Views:	2318 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1152649

Name:	20170818_013136.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1152650

Name:	20170817_212655.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	1152651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_214102.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	1152652

Name:	20170818_013011.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	1152653
    Straight Sexy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    wow nice, great to see these can go sub 20lb with the right build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My LBS told me that L and XL frames are available but not Small and Med. Can
    There were medium frames in the purple/pink/hyper paint scheme. There were only a couple left earlier this week... might be gone now.

Looking like Evilbullit and I might have 2 of the first cali fade frames in the US at the rate everything is going... maybe they're building anticipation lol
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    wow nice, great to see these can go sub 20lb with the right build!
    Yeah! Hoping to see mine do the same thing!

with the parts i have sitting here waiting it should be sub 20... maybe sub 19.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    OMG OMG!!!! My XL Cali Fade frame is here!!!
    Well, technically there. Going to a shop in Denver and Im in Albuquerque...ROAD TRIP!!!

Sucks, because I was in Leadville last weekend, would have been a quick side trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    LBS just told me that the Disco Purple got pushed back to November. Now im wondering if I I go ahead and pick up a Cali Fade or if I wait till November in hopes I can get the Disco.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Got the call today! My medium Cali fade is in! I was actually out riding my other bike so could'nt pick it up today...looks like a sleepless night ahead!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Black on black frame?

On the Specialized website it shows a black on black frame option. On the dealer site it doesn't show up. When the bike first appeared on Spec website that frame appeared as a complete build (expert) then it was removed. Anyone know if that frame will be available to purchase?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    MY FRAME IS ON THE WAY!!!
    SO PUMPED!!!
    Mine will be here early next week then i'm having a bike building party with my riding buddies. Excited to get this thing built!

Evilbullit, why the heck did you order it from a shop in denver?! lol I mean, that's a pretty drive, but still!

Zebbie, that black on black frame is only available in European markets (which is stupid). I called to confirm.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got the call today! My medium Cali fade is in! I was actually out riding my other bike so could'nt pick it up today...looks like a sleepless night ahead!
    Lets see some pictures when you get it!!!
    Also do you mind getting a frame weight?
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

As requested...

Picked up my frame today and I must say it is beautiful! The paint job is fantastic but there was this weird tag that says that the frame is supposed to fade over time. Interesting... Pretty light, going to work on the build over the weekend. Will post pics when I am done!Specialized Chisel discussion-img_0464.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-img_0465.jpgAttachment 1152961
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Chisel discussion-img_0463.jpg  

Last edited by DixieFly; 08-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Picked up my frame today and I must say it is beautiful! The paint job is fantastic but there was this weird tag that says that the frame is supposed to fade over time. Interesting... Pretty light, going to work on the build over the weekend. Will post pics when I am done!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1152959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1152960Attachment 1152961
    Specialized has been designing paint jobs like that for a couple years now and when they age they look awesome.

And an all in weight of the frame astroturfing 3.3 pounds (i assume with all hardware) is a pretty dang good weight for an aluminum hardtail!
    I should have mine at the end of this week as i will be out of town for work till thursday.
    So next weekend is when my build party is going down.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Do you guys think it's worthwhile to just upgrade to the Epic Hardtail Comp ($2500) instead of buying the Chisel and a new wheel set? It seems that the price difference is quickly absorbed by a decent wheel set.
    I think most of the price difference is due to the carbon frame rather than any significant upgrades to the wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does the Chisel (or the Epic HT for that matter), come with a downtube protector?

The dark side is quicker

Evilbullit, why the heck did you order it from a shop in denver?! lol I mean, that's a pretty drive, but still!
    I know, but thats where my deals come from. Im actually up there fairly often, just happened to come in at a bad time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebbie View Post
    On the Specialized website it shows a black on black frame option. On the dealer site it doesn't show up. When the bike first appeared on Spec website that frame appeared as a complete build (expert) then it was removed. Anyone know if that frame will be available to purchase?
    Yes I looked into this as I wanted a black/black one at first.

My LBS looked into it and after talking with their dealer they told me it was Europe only

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

My angel is a centerfold!

Here she is in all her glory. Weighs in right at 24lbs with pedals and bottle cage. Build is all XT, SID RL, answer carbon bars, race face turbine stem, stock seat post and old specialized stock seat from my Diverge. Wheels are crest rims, DT240 front hub, DT350 rear hub, saphim spokes up front, DT spokes in back, tires are Geaux Seguaros. Could easily be a pound or so lighter.Specialized Chisel discussion-img_0467.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, rephrased a little...

I have ridden the 2013 SJ Comp 17.5 hardtail a 3 mile lap, then the Chisel Expert medium a lap, then repeated the experience two more times. It is somewhat surprising how different the two bikes feel going around the trail. Both 2.3 tires, the SJ has Renegade tires and the Chisel Fast Trak rubber.

I pretty much thought that with the 29er era for hardtails the SJ was going to be about the best possible but the Chisel is a better ride all around. When I took out the spacers for my 2013 SJ Reba fork to make it 100mm something about the geometry wasn't quite right and I found it somewhat difficult to keep the bike from being a rocking horse. That isn't the case with the Chisel, maybe the head tube angle makes the 100mm ideal.
    Last edited by rakerdeal; 08-23-2017 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Here she is in all her glory. Weighs in right at 24lbs with pedals and bottle cage. Build is all XT, SID RL, answer carbon bars, race face turbine stem, stock seat post and old specialized stock seat from my Diverge. Wheels are crest rims, DT240 front hub, DT350 rear hub, saphim spokes up front, DT spokes in back, tires are Geaux Seguaros. Could easily be a pound or so lighter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	1153419
    Thats awesome! I think im set on a Cali Fade now. 24lbs is pretty good. Sounds like mine should come out around 22lbs with pedals with a Fox 32SC, Next SL crank, and full sworks cockpit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Went tubeless today.

Medium expert 1x model 24.63lbs with pedals and a bottle cage.

The dark side is quicker
    Todays the day...Frame is on the truck for delivery.
    My MT8s are also coming today.

So excited!!!

The dark side is quicker
    In the box of goodies that came with the frame, was there some of that foam cable tubing stuff? You know, to stop the cables from rattling in the downtube?

Picked up my frame today and I must say it is beautiful! The paint job is fantastic but there was this weird tag that says that the frame is supposed to fade over time. Interesting... Pretty light, going to work on the build over the weekend. Will post pics when I am done!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1152959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1152960Attachment 1152961

The dark side is quicker
    Didn't see anyone answer you. The free hub body on the 1x11 is a standard "shimano" type. The sunrace should fit just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by djmuerte View Post
    Hi guys, very nice all Chisel!

I'm interested in this bike, but I have doubts about the 1x11 (30t 11-42), is it possible to put this bike a cassette sunrace 11-46?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yes. It had the foam, works great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got my frame in yesterday and OH MAN!!!!!

Looks so much better in person!

I started the build last night and while i could have gone lighter on some particular things, like tires, saddle, cranks.
    I went with fast trak 2.3 tires instead of the 2.1 renegades I was going to use, just for tire volume.

MY race tires will be 2.1s and will cut approx half a pound off the weight of the bike.
    My saddle is a Romin Evo comp. I have a carbon railed romin evo as well, but i rode a carbon saddle at leadville and some other long races and now it creaks like nobody's business. So i decided to put my fancy new carbon saddle on the road bike and use the base model on the mountain. (That would save about 100+g)
    Then my cranks are Raceface Turbine cranks, which are aluminum. They are about 200g heavier than the Next SLs. But they are WAY cheaper and I dont have to worry about bashing aluminum cranks on rocks. They're still super stiff and have a great BB.
    So I think i'll be at an all in weight of about 19-20 without pedals.

My pedals are decently heavy as well, they're crankbrothers candy's, but they're tried and true and i dont run anything else.

Should still be one HECK of an aluminum race bike!
    Last edited by Tyrich88; 08-25-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    Should be a sweet ride. Im kind of going the same way with mine; a balance of light but durable parts.

Did I mention I started my build last night as well. :-)

Got my frame in yesterday and OH MAN!!!!!

Looks so much better in person!

I started the build last night and while i could have gone lighter on some particular things, like tires, saddle, cranks.
    I went with fast trak 2.3 tires instead of the 2.1 renegades I was going to use, just for tire volume.

MY race tires will be 2.1s and will cut approx half a pound off the weight of the bike.
    My saddle is a Romin Evo comp. I have a carbon railed romin evo as well, but i rode a carbon saddle at leadville and some other long races and now it creaks like nobody's business. So i decided to put my fancy new carbon saddle on the road bike and use the base model on the mountain. (That would save about 100+g)
    Then my cranks are Raceface Turbine cranks, which are aluminum. They are about 200g heavier than the Next SLs. But they are WAY cheaper and I dont have to worry about bashing aluminum cranks on rocks. They're still super stiff and have a great BB.
    So I think i'll be at an all in weight of about 19-20 without pedals.

My pedals are decently heavy as well, they're crankbrothers candy's, but they're tried and true and i dont run anything else.

Should still be one HECK of an aluminum race bike!

The dark side is quicker
    Update --

Build stayed pretty much the same as expected, but installed MT8s instead of the XTs and an Absolute Black 32T oval ring instead of the Race Face 30T.

FWIW the XL Cali Fade frame w/o any hardware came in at 1640g. A little heavier than I was expecting (hoping), but based on actual weights the bike should still come in around 23lbs. Will get an actual once its done...will post pics too.

Oh so impatient!!!!!

Cali Fade frame XL
    Arch MK3 wheels
    XX1 cassette
    XX1 chain
    X01 Shifter/R. Der
    XTR trail pedals
    Phenom S-works saddle

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Update --

Build stayed pretty much the same as expected, but installed MT8s instead of the XTs and an Absolute Black 32T oval ring instead of the Race Face 30T.

FWIW the XL Cali Fade frame w/o any hardware came in at 1640g. A little heavier than I was expecting (hoping), but based on actual weights the bike should still come in around 23lbs. Will get an actual once its done...will post pics too.
    Should be a sweet ride. Im kind of going the same way with mine; a balance of light but durable parts.

Did I mention I started my build last night as well. :-)

I haven't ridden it yet, but... my frame weighed in at 1550g (like you said, heavier than expected, but that's alright)

My build is ALMOST DONE.
    It's at the shop getting the brakes bled and internally routed, then it's ride ready!

[I actually just realized that every one of the parts on this bike (with exception of the brakes, grips and pedals) are either made by Specialized, Sram or Raceface] Kind of cool.

My build ended up as follows:
    Medium frame Chisel - Cali Fade
    2017 Sid RL boost fork - 100mm (w/ remote lockout)
    Magura MT6 brakes w/ Magura storm SL rotors (pretty much the same as the MT8 but without carbon levers)
    x01 11sp shifter and derailleur
    x01 cassette 10-42
    xx1 chain
    Raceface Turbine Cranks w/ 34t direct mount raceface chainring
    Raceface BB
    specialized sworks stem 90mm
    Easton EC70 carbon flat bars
    Easton EC70 zero offset seatpost
    Roval Control SL Boost wheels
    Specialized Fast Trak 2.3 tires (HEAVY, but they are outstanding tires) Set up tubeless with 2 scoops of stans in each. (I usually run more but that's all i had)
    Specialized Romin Evo Comp 155mm saddle
    ESI Fit XC grips (black)
    Crankbrothers Candy 3 pedals

Here are a few preliminary pictures:
    Once it's complete i'll get some much better pictures and a final weight.
    It's looking to be around 21 with pedals.
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel3.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel1.jpg
    Specialized Chisel discussion-chisel2.jpg
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thats awesome! I think im set on a Cali Fade now. 24lbs is pretty good. Sounds like mine should come out around 22lbs with pedals with a Fox 32SC, Next SL crank, and full sworks cockpit.
    Yours might be lighter than that, depending on wheels and drivetrain choice.
    [2019 Epic Expert Evo]

The dark side is quicker
    I'll show you mine, if you show me yours. :-)

Just need to play with the brakes a touch more. These MT8s are finicky.

Uhm. Trying to figure out hot to attach a pic, now that PB is a POS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I haven't ridden it yet, but... my frame weighed in at 1550g (like you said, heavier than expected, but that's alright)

My build is ALMOST DONE.
    It's at the shop getting the brakes bled and internally routed, then it's ride ready!

[I actually just realized that every one of the parts on this bike (with exception of the brakes, grips and pedals) are either made by Specialized, Sram or Raceface] Kind of cool.

My build ended up as follows:
    Medium frame Chisel - Cali Fade
    2017 Sid RL boost fork - 100mm (w/ remote lockout)
    Magura MT6 brakes w/ Magura storm SL rotors (pretty much the same as the MT8 but without carbon levers)
    x01 11sp shifter and derailleur
    x01 cassette 10-42
    xx1 chain
    Raceface Turbine Cranks w/ 34t direct mount raceface chainring
    Raceface BB
    specialized sworks stem 90mm
    Easton EC70 carbon flat bars
    Easton EC70 zero offset seatpost
    Roval Control SL Boost wheels
    Specialized Fast Trak 2.3 tires (HEAVY, but they are outstanding tires) Set up tubeless with 2 scoops of stans in each. (I usually run more but that's all i had)
    Specialized Romin Evo Comp 155mm saddle
    ESI Fit XC grips (black)
    Crankbrothers Candy 3 pedals

Here are a few preliminary pictures:
    Once it's complete i'll get some much better pictures and a final weight.
    It's looking to be around 21 with pedals.

Name:	chisel3.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	1154103

Name:	chisel1.jpg 
Views:	857 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	1154101

Name:	chisel2.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	1154102
    Extremely well executed!

Been following this thread with interest as I am preparing to buy a new bike. Last bike was a GT Xizang. My options include 1.) Chisel or 2.) 2018 Epic Hardtail Comp Carbon or 3.) 2018 Epic Duel Susp Comp Carbon. Gonna go to bike store tomorrow and figure things out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

My thoughts.....

At this point I've put in 10 trail miles and 5 paved bike path miles. For perspective I traded in a 32lb Trek DS for this Chisel because I wanted something much more trail capable. Much of this might seem obvious given what I was on previously. Positives:
    Very silent ride. Absolutely no chain slap. Climbs effortlessly and no trouble at all with roots or rocks. Easy to "place" the front tire while applying power to the pedals and really pick your way up technical terrain. I've experience no tire slippage yet climbing steep and loose terrain. Incredibly light and feels like an "all day" bike. I rode a 40 mile MTB race 2 weeks ago on the Trek and wow do I wish it had been on the Chisel. No comparison. I really have no negatives. I ride all kinds: roads, trails, bike park descents. The 1x system seems geared for climbing which makes sense. I quickly run through them on flat, full out, sprints but that is probably to be expected. I can live with that and wouldn't trade the 1x. The only other thing I would say is this bike looks so much better in person. Absolutely no buyers remorse. I'd post a pic but I'm not able to figure out how.
    Last edited by Zebbie; 08-26-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Grammar

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's my further thoughts about my Rocket Red Chisel. First I know that I will buy a lighter wheelset for the bike, I've always ridden light wheelsets on my bikes and I have a couple sets below 1500 grams.

However, I must admit that except for the quick and steep ups on the trails I like the handling and feel of the wheelset (and boat anchor weight 530 gram cassette). You can feel the weight on the climbs where there is a loss of momentum and of course if you sprint. But otherwise I must admit I really like the feel of the bike...and the damn heavy wheels!

The bike seems to carry momentum very well over roots and rocks and it rides very well over bumps compared to the 29 SJ hardtails of recent past.

So my carbon SJ FSR is built with super light stuff and weighs 24 lbs and 12 oz but right now I like the Chisel ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So my carbon SJ FSR is built with super light stuff and weighs 24 lbs and 12 oz but right now I like the Chisel ride.
    This is very interesting to read. I am leaning more and more towards building up a chisel. I think I would need to figure out a budget to include carbon wheels and a proper fork. Maybe an all in budget of $3K.

mtbr member
    How on earth did you get a Stumpy down under 25lbs? What year is it? What have you done to it? My 2017 Comp Carbon is still over 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OT to answer COMTBR: A SJ FSR Evo not built for the rough stuff currently. 1x10 xtr shifters; xtr cassette; xtr brakes; Stan's Crest wheels (race it with Stan's Race Gold wheels at 24 lbs 4 oz); Renegade 2.3 tires; my special creation of a Rock Shox Reba 130mm fork (pre the ones built this year); Specialized Toupe saddle; no dropper; etc. Frame weighs 5 lbs 14 oz. Enough suspension such that when I race I can pretty much ignore the trail and just focus on heart rate- which for me was faster than less suspension and less weight. I am a hardtail guy, the Chisel is more challenging to ride in my area - and just fun and smooth to ride for a hardtail.

mtbr member
    ^^ gotcha, thanks. Sounds like a fun bike!

Mine is full brute 4 x 4 mode. Big, heavy Yari fork, boat-anchor GRID tires, etc. I think the SWorks 2017 SJ still managed to only get down to 28lbs.

I think a Chisel or Epic HT would be great for what you're after.

mtbr member
    Has anybody personally built their own Chisel from the ground up?
    How's the internal routing?
    I just finishing swapping brakes, cables, Eagle shifter on my 18 Epic HT and holy cow - good times. Gotta be paying attention on that one. Both BB and fork had to be out to do it. Chisel should be a little easier, but not by a lot I'd imagine.

The dark side is quicker
    yes. several of us.
    Internal routing is nice. Brake can be a PITA if you have to feed from the bottom though. If you do have to feed the brake hose from the bottom up, then the fork out does make things easier.

All the cables exit before the BB, no that can stay in.

Nice screw in cable guide to help keep things organized and tight.

Specialized Chisel discussion-img_2083.jpg

The dark side is quicker
    Finally posting pics.
    Finished the build saturday afternoon, but couldn't ride until today.
    The 2018 Fox 34 is amazing! There are 2 spots on my trails that always put stress on forks, no flex from this guy.

Bike rode pretty nice, need a couple more rides to make a final determination. Initial thoughts are that the XL frame flexes a little more that I had expected, but nothing horrible. We'll see though.

The weight below is with pedals, cages and bottles (empty of course).

** Build List **

XL Cali Fade Frame
    2018 Fox 34, 120mm, w/ Kabolt axle
    ENVE RSR Bars 740mm
    Easton Haven Stem, 70mm (may swap to 60mm)
    Race Face Love Handle Grips
    XTR Trail brakes
    SLX rotors 180/160 (same weight as Ice Tech, but 1/5 the price)
    GX shifter and R. Der
    XX1 Cassette, 10-42
    XX1 Chain
    Stans Arch wheel set w/ 6 pawl free hub
    Maxxis Ardent Race/Ikon tires
    Race Face Next SL G4 cranks w/ Absolute Black 30T oval ring
    Race Face Cinch BB
    Syntace P6 Hiflex seatpost
    S-Works Phenom saddle
    Blackburn Carbon cages

Specialized Chisel discussion-img_2091.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-img_2089.jpgSpecialized Chisel discussion-img_2090.jpg
    Last edited by evilbullit; 08-28-2017 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does the Chisel come with centerlock disc compatibility or six bolt? Specialized told me centerlock but looking at the pictures in this thread, it looks like six bolt.

mtbr member
    yes. several of us.
    Internal routing is nice. Brake can be a PITA if you have to feed from the bottom though. If you do have to feed the brake hose from the bottom up, then the fork out does make things easier.

All the cables exit before the BB, no that can stay in.

Nice screw in cable guide to help keep things organized and tight.

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	1154473
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have just over 200 miles on my Chisel.

Let me start off by saying the bike is an excellent value for what you get. The only negatives for me so far is the frame is not laterally stiff at all, flexes quite a bit and the brakes suk ballz!

I've seen guys posting about ride quality, it's pretty good, rides like an aluminum HT.

Things I would change;

Wider bar - 720 too narrow for me.

Brakes - Lack power for steep DH here in Co. I have SLX, XT and XTR on my other bikes and they are far superior to the Sram brakes on this bike.

Wheels - Although heavy, very stiff and semi wide.

Grips - I like to ride glove less uphill, grips become slippery when wet.

Bigger front chain ring - I prefer a 34T.

Outside of the things I've listed (all personal preferences) I like the bike quite a bit. It climbs well, gets up to speed quickly, picks up the front wheel, negotiates switchbacks with ease and descends "OK" if things don't get too rowdy. The biggest plus for me, it didn't cost me 3k.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast