Six months on a '10 Enduro, a reflection- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Six months on a '10 Enduro, a reflection

Background: I ride technical AZ gnar. I'm a modestly skilled tech rider, 41 years old, 6'2", 185. I do not shuttle; I pedal up all our local trails and bomb down. I've been riding awhile and have been fortunate enough to have owned several high-quality bikes, both 26ers and 29ers. Highlights would be a very nice C'dale Prophet, a Yeti 575 and I came off of a Horst-link Turner 6-Pack when I got the Enduro.

I bought the the size L Enduro last December fresh off the showroom floor from DNA Cycles here in Phoenix. I went for the Comp over the Expert due in part to color and in part because I preferred the single-air Lyric. I added a Command Post and was out the door with tax for $2,900, which I thought was very fair.

I'll get the obvious out of the way first: I love the bike as a whole. It's not perfect, but it's one of the better do-it-all options available today. The bike pedals well, it's pretty efficient for its weight and it absolutely slays it going down. The geometry is nearly perfect in my opinion. Slack enough to be stable, but still quick enough around the switchbacks. The bike responds better to body english and weighting the pedals vs. too much bar input.

The front end is light and reacts as you'd expect with radical weight transfer, particularly way off the back end for roller drops. As you can imagine, steep ups on a 160mm non-adjustable fork requires a change in riding technique.

My technical riding has grown by leaps and bounds on this bike. Some is just natural progression, but some credit certainly goes to the neutral, forgiving nature of the rig itself. Honestly, I felt faster on the Turner, but my main riding bud says he thinks I'm much smoother and faster on the Spec. and the climbs are no contest in favor of the Enduro.

The one thing I would personally change on the frame in the bottom bracket height. I'm sure a lot of folks like 'em low, but in my rocky environment, another half-inch of BB height would alleviate a lot of pedal striking.

The stock tires are a joke (they lasted three rides) on a bike of this nature and I've gone through a few der. hangers. I did have to send the Command Post back to Spec. for the rotating head issue. The stock rear wheel lived a hard life and was recently replaced with a custom-built wheel.

Otherwise, any changes I made were personal choice (tires, Deity flats and Dirty 30 bars, seat clamp, various tires, tubeless, cassette, etc.).

I've been very hard on this rig and it's got the scars to prove. I tend to go through bikes pretty quickly, but this one appears to be a keeper. I have a couple other rigs, but this is the bike that gets ridden the most by a wide margin.

Here's how it looks after six months of abuse:

Dual Squishy...
    Sweet write up!!

Love the Jeep too...

O|||||||O

I dig trails!
    Nice. Appreciate the long term write up.

This weekend mine saw a 20+ mile XC ride which ends with a multi-mile DH with jumps & drops. The Enduro felt at home on both parts of the ride.

I've had similar experiences to you clearing techy climbs that I struggled with before. And am with you on your thoughts on climbing, descending, turning, & manualing.

I have to admit tho, I do like the low BB. Fewer rocks here.

The only issue I've found is some suspension activity when the PP is off, but on the other hand, climbing chunk with the PP off the suspension activity really pays off.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 05-17-2010 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hello. Im considering the enduro as my new bike. have you done any service to your rear shock? did you used regular fox service or specialized service, (or push)? thanks.

Bernardo

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    P: I have never used the PP at all. On the trails I ride, most climbs are technical (ledges, etc.), so I don't mess with the settings.

Bernardo: I have not had to service the shock. If I did and it were covered under warranty, I imagine the shop would send it back to Fox. If it were on my dime, I'd send it to Push.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great longer-term perspective.

mtbr member
    heh, your lower rear triangle looks like its taken a serious beating : )

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I really shoulda used a bunch of protective tape. You should see the stock rear wheel ...

Team Inflexible
    Nice Rig!

How do you like your command post? I have been thinking about ditching my Joplin and getting the Command Post.

mtbr member
    Re: the rear triangle, it looks like there's a lot of rub marks, are they from your shoes when pedalling? I've noticed that my foot sometimes contacts my non-drive side seatstay and there's a little bit of wear there.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jay: The CP is pretty good. I have had to send it back once for service. It's roughly equivalent in operation to the previous Gravity Droppers I've owned, but it looks way better.

Steve: Those are all rock strikes on the chainstays. My feet don't rub the triangle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm seriously considering going back to Spesh. I rode one of these very briefly. Good product from what I could tell. Anything you'd change ? Happy w/ the fork ? I was planning on using a Fox 36 Van or Float R.
    All about the ride

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I prefer the single-air version of the Lyric vs the dual air. The bike is pretty good right out of the box, barring the tires (that may not be as much of an issue if you don't ride rocks). Really, the only thing I'd change personally is to raise the bottom bracket half an inch.

mtbr member
    I'll second the low BB gripe. Been smacking my pedals all over the place. We have very rocky trails here...one constant rock-garden more like it really. Need to change my lines a bit I guess.
    Apart from that, I am extremely impressed by the bike!

livin' the dream......
    I agree with the BB height. Many pedal strikes as well on my '10 Stumpjumper Comp 29er (also from DNA in Phoenix, good guys btw)

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Excellent review Blatant. I would second your comments re the BB height issue; I bang the pedals more than I'd like to. That said, the bike is phenomenal.

I have a 2010 Expert, which replaced both a Cannondale Jekyll and a Specialized Demo 9. And it really did replace them. It's a far better climber and XC rig than the Jekyll ever was, and the only time I miss the Demo 9 is on those brief portions of some DH sections that are so ugly that most people are walking them--and the Enduro goes down those well, just not as well as the Demo did.

For my purposes, it really is the perfect bike.

Handmade in Switzerland
    Hi,

I ride an Enduro Pro Carbon over six month now. Here are my impressions.

Positive:

• The bike is light and climbs great.
    • I like the long toptube and steep seat angle very much.
    • The rear suspension is absolutely great when riding downhill. It soaks up bumps like hell.

Negatives:

• The fork is crap! Negative AIR pressure setting ist too low. Small bump compliance is bad. Compression Damping is not effective enough. The fork blows trough the travel and dives deep under braking. Bottom-out force is too low. The fork is not progressive enough.

Bottom Line:

I agree with the previous writers that the bottom braket is a tad too low. Also for me as a trail rider I would maybee change the "compression tune" of the Fox RP23 from "Low" to "Medium". With the medium setting, the shock might calm the rear suspension a little more and increase the very soft propedal position (allready on position 3). In Europe we have no chance doing any optimization on the shock like Push does. Push and TF Tune do both not service to central Europe. Maybee I will change the "compression tune" during the regular shock service intervall. The fork heavily reduces the excellent behavior of the rest of the bike. I'm in contact with Specialized to get upgrades for the E160TA. I'm very dissapointed about the fork and will probably replace it soon.

mtbr member
    How are pedal strikes compared to the Yeti?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I tend to go through bikes pretty quickly, but this one appears to be a keeper.
    Keeper huh? How's the EG compare

I dig trails!
    Just got back from riding my 2010 Enduro Comp at NorthStar.

It did great. As well as a 6" travel bike can be expected to do at the park. I did put heavier duty wheels/tires on it. It did as good as my 06 Enduro with coils on front & rear and a bit better in the rough stuff due to the air shock's softer initial stroke.

I wasn't hitting the huge stuff, but all the rest was on. Which fits my skill level. All in a 30 pound package. Me = happy.

P

Members who have read this thread: 0