shock replacement, 99 stumpy comp fsr xc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

shock replacement, 99 stumpy comp fsr xc

I need to replace the rear shock on my stumpjumper comp fsr xc. It is a fox vanilla float, without a lockout.

It measures 6.5 inches bolt to bolt on center.

I am looking at different shocks, and they have the specs of 1.5 or 2 inches of travel. Anyone know which I should be looking for, for this application?

Any recommendations for a shock with a lockout that is 6.5 inches?

Is there also a bushing kit that comes with the shock or do I need to find it somewhere else?
    What am I looking for in that case?

thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    just measure the stroke of your current shock, to see which would be the appropriate one

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    6.5 x 1.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm kinda in the same boat... looking to replace the shock on my yr 2000 Enduro FSR Comp (came standard with a no frills Fox Float, also 6.5 x 1.5). I've never touched the shock, it's nearly 8 years old, and it's just time to upgrade.

I was thinking the Cane Creek Cloud Nine, as I've heard rave reviews and it's reliable. The RP series shocks by Fox would be doable, but the stuck-down issues scare me. I've no clue about Rock Shox or Manitou... The fellow at the LBS suggested an RP23... sounds good, same price as the CC nine, but I'm wondering if it'll be too harsh?

It was funny, I went to the LBS a couple weeks ago and DAMN, everything has changed so much! My FSR is more or less stock, except for the fork. I love how it rides, it's light enough at 28.5lbs, 4.5" of travel, not much more I need out of it. It's also durable and most the work I've been able to do myself, so I haven't kept up on all the new technology. Even buying a new set of grips is more complicated!

Members who have read this thread: 0