S-Works EVO MTB Shoes?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    CDB
    CDB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    253

    S-Works EVO MTB Shoes?

    Has anyone tried these yet? I'm curious how they compare to the other current S-Works MTB model they make (I've been through two pair of them already). My impression is that the EVO ones would be significantly more durable.

    The sole/tread appears similar to the older S-Works mtb shoe from a few years ago (black/silver). I'm wondering if it is just the rubber, or if the carbon sole is actually less stiff than the other current S-Works mtb model. The welded rubber along the edges of the lorica also looks to be better from an abrasion protection stand point.







    Old model 2009:

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    i have a pair of the evo shoes, got a couple of rides on them and they are great. i cant compair to other specialized shoes, since i upgraded from some cheap shimano commuter type shoes. but i can say i love them. the out sole is very similar to the ofr the 2009 model you pictured. i am not really too worried about wearing out the lugs as they seem to be a pretty hard compound. as for stiffness i dont think i would want anything stiffer. specialized states the regular s-works mtb shoe is rated at 11, evo is rated at ten for stiffness. on thanksgiving i ended up playing some football after the morning ride, yes while wearing my evos, and traction was awesome, but no flex in the shoe...

    the color from the first picture is not available in the states, just the black, which is what i have.

    so far i feel these shoes will be very durable and last quite some time for me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,987
    boas just dont last on mountain bike shoes. you might get a month out of them before the boas start loosening up on their own.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    boas just dont last on mountain bike shoes. you might get a month out of them before the boas start loosening up on their own.
    +1

    Mine snapped yesterday after less than a month of use, half way through a tough ride. No fall or snag, it just gave up the ghost. Not hugely impressed. Back to SIDI...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    No idea what you guys are talking about, the boas on my 2011 s-works mtb shoes have been great. had them for 1+ year

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by ocie View Post
    No idea what you guys are talking about, the boas on my 2011 s-works mtb shoes have been great. had them for 1+ year
    So help me understand. You've had no problems with the single pair of EVO MTB shoes that you've purchased, so it's inconceivable to you that others haven't had the same luck?

    Cheers, J

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    I've actually had two pair. No problems whatsoever... with the boa system.

    But yeah because you've had an issue and one other poster has, go ahead and agree with his/her generalized statement.

    Boa problems for some, none for others.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by ocie View Post
    I've actually had two pair. No problems whatsoever... with the boa system.

    But yeah because you've had an issue and one other poster has, go ahead and agree with his/her generalized statement.

    Boa problems for some, none for others.
    This type of problem would not occur if adequate QC was performed. I've owned 3 brands of high end MTB shoes and this is the first time I've experienced a fastening mechanism failure. Unacceptable for the money.

    Sorry if that offends your Big S sensitivities.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    69
    Ive had two pairs of S-works shoes also, first pair had no issues. Second pair the boa snapped after about 7-8 months of use. The laces were worn, I should have changed them sooner. Regarding that the laces are a bit fragile especially in mtb, I would still use them, since they are the best fit I have ever tried (tried almost all sorts), so I can easily live with a little service every 7-8 months.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    This type of problem would not occur if adequate QC was performed. I've owned 3 brands of high end MTB shoes and this is the first time I've experienced a fastening mechanism failure. Unacceptable for the money.

    Sorry if that offends your Big S sensitivities.
    No sensitivities regarding Specialized here. I'm not some blind follower. I do however agree with Rabbitized that these are the best fitting shoes I've had hands down, which is also why I purchased the road model (I don't ride a road bike by Specialized, by the way).

    These shoes certainly have some problems: both pairs I've owned have separated at the inside of the sole by the ball of my left foot, which I think is wholly more unacceptable than a lace failure... talk about QC.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    I have no experience with these but I'd rather be able to replace a boa than be SOL when un-replaceable velcro wears out. Not that the shoes will actually last long enough to have this be an issue.

    Of course, I won't be buying the MTB version of these shoes unless they start offering a wide version like they are the SW road shoes.

    Thanks for sharing your impressions though.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by ocie View Post
    No sensitivities regarding Specialized here. I'm not some blind follower. I do however agree with Rabbitized that these are the best fitting shoes I've had hands down, which is also why I purchased the road model (I don't ride a road bike by Specialized, by the way).

    These shoes certainly have some problems: both pairs I've owned have separated at the inside of the sole by the ball of my left foot, which I think is wholly more unacceptable than a lace failure... talk about QC.
    Couldn't agree more about the fantastic fit. The BOA failure pissed me off because it was less than a month into the life of the shoes.

    I was hesitant to buy the road shoes because of stories like your own. QC is performed by the customer it would seem...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    333
    I had a problem with my MTN BOA's after about a year. Took them back to the shop that I purchased them from and they overhauled the BOA's right there and then. Replaced the knobs and the string/wire on both shoes. Didn't cost me a dime. I have a pair of S-Works for the road and haven't had a single problem with them.

    I love the shoes....like wearing a slipper with a carbon sole.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by careboy View Post
    This type of problem would not occur if adequate QC was performed.
    ...
    You know, that's the bottom line.

    The fit of the shoes is great, and they are comfy. The BOA fastening mechanism lets down what would otherwise be a flawless "best-of-breed" product.

    Looking at the BOA website they clearly state that their cycling shoe mechanisms are the weakest in the range. I'd happily take a slight weight penalty for a more reliable buckle.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: M3ichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122
    Getting my S-Works shoes replaced at cost due to either an impact or just wear and tear. Inside vent window has un-threaded itself and the material is rather hard and pokes the foot.
    BOA's are not very fun to replace. The replacement dials and internals are cheap. Have a couple of sets of them at home including some extra wire.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by ocie View Post
    No idea what you guys are talking about, the boas on my 2011 s-works mtb shoes have been great. had them for 1+ year
    Same here.. i have sworks shoes for a few months now, at first i screwed up the boas cause I didn't pull tension on them while I was closing and opening the boa.. The shop replaced the laces for free for me and showed me how to properly open/close them.. Never had an issue since..

    They said lots of people dont put tension on them and it causes lots of issues.
    2017 Sworks stumpjumper 27.5 (currently building)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by 125mph View Post
    Same here.. i have sworks shoes for a few months now, at first i screwed up the boas cause I didn't pull tension on them while I was closing and opening the boa.. The shop replaced the laces for free for me and showed me how to properly open/close them.. Never had an issue since..

    They said lots of people dont put tension on them and it causes lots of issues.
    This is the only issue i have had, basically user error and back wound the cable. didnt have to replace my cables though.

    i actually wish the system was the same as the snowboard boot system, pull to release, push in and turn to tighten. my only gripe.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    This is the only issue i have had, basically user error and back wound the cable. didnt have to replace my cables though.

    i actually wish the system was the same as the snowboard boot system, pull to release, push in and turn to tighten. my only gripe.
    I was told they have some shoes with this method.. i think the one of the road shoes does this.. It adds too much weight to the shoes though.
    2017 Sworks stumpjumper 27.5 (currently building)

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Update: Got a new buckle under warranty.

    The wire didn't snap, the knot/whatever just came loose. The old buckle was repaired so now I have a spare.

    I hope that doesn't stuff up during a race or XC marathon. The guys at the shop stated that this was not a regular occurence. I believe them.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    I have had s-works mtb shoes for the last 5-10 years because they fit me really well. At the end of 2010 I bought a new pair with the double boa, and after 6 months the plastic shafts broke. They were replaced under warranty, and after another 6 months same thing happened with the new pair. I suspect the cause is related to lubing them with silicone, which causes the plastic internals to slip, so you try and do them up tighter which breaks the shaft. These shafts have no metal thread to strengthen them. Anyway I have been sending full details to Boa in the US to try and determine the cause. I have replaced the shoes with the EVO because the S2 Boa on these is a self contained mechanism ie nothing stitched to shoe. You can unscrew the whole until and replace it if there is ever a problem. The EVO feels more like a boot, is heavier and does not have replaceable sole parts. S2 Boas on the standard s-works shoes would have been perfect.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    58
    I have 2 pairs of the '06 model s-works shoe. One road version and the other mtb. After 3 years, one of the mtb cables broke. I knew it was coming soon because the cable started to fray this past season. Incredibly easy to replace by myself. I'm getting a new pair and will probably get the latest version. I'm sold on boa laced shoes. Hopefully I'll have the same luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Where can I find the S-Works Shoes?
    By Specialized Freak in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM
  2. S-Works MTB shoes or Pro Carbon shoes?
    By RockStarRacing in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
  3. Specialized s-works mtn shoes
    By MTBAlex in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
  4. s-works shoes
    By endurosw in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
  5. S-Works MTB Shoes
    By mtbfool in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 07:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.