Rule of thumb for bike depreciation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Rule of thumb for bike depreciation

Debating between purchasing a new 2010 SJ FSR Comp or looking for a used 2008 or 2009 version. What is a general rule for how much I should expect to pay for a bike that is 1-2 years old? In your experiences, is it wise to save a few hundred $$'s by going used, or is new the way to go?

mtbr member
    Hard to say without knowing what components are on a bike, but I'd go new just to have a warranty because if you go used and crack the frame you'll be screwed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    Hard to say without knowing what components are on a bike, but I'd go new just to have a warranty because if you go used and crack the frame you'll be screwed.
    Remember to laminate and lock up that receipt. I lost mine from 98, spec customer service told me I was SOL if I broke the frame, same with my 2008 that I registered when I bought it (shop is willing to make me a new receipt on that one though)
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Full-suspension bike = car... loses value quickly, especially when used. This doesn't take into consideration, however, the "value" of a warranty...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input ! I am looking at a 2009 comp for $1400. Not sure yet of the condition though. Almost seems worth the extra $600 for piece of mind with new components and the frame warranty.

mtbr member
    Some CONS:

Specialized FSR bikes depreciate faster than other brands thanks to Specialized changing Shock dimensions (lenght and stroke) and position every year.

Specialized shocks are not known by their reliability, so in case there is a problem with an old shock, there are no "off the shelf" alternatives, you have to buy the Specialized shock and pay whatever they ask for it.

Also, Specialized extended warranty for frame and some shocks applies only to first owner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why not look for a new '08 or '09? It will be cheaper by a few hundreds than the 2010 and still get the warranty and bike shop support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would love to find a new '08 or '09, but I cannot find any in the local Spesh LBS'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff
    Some CONS:

Specialized FSR bikes depreciate faster than other brands thanks to Specialized changing Shock dimensions (lenght and stroke) and position every year.

Specialized shocks are not known by their reliability, so in case there is a problem with an old shock, there are no "off the shelf" alternatives, you have to buy the Specialized shock and pay whatever they ask for it.

Also, Specialized extended warranty for frame and some shocks applies only to first owner.
    That seems to be an advantage here. People have reported replacing the triad with an RP23, or RS monarch, as well as using a 140mm fork up front.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you're in the SF bay area, check this place out. Got mine from here.

http://www.goridebicycles.com/Site/Closeoutlist.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I picked up an '08 for 1700, and my LBS also had an '09. Too bad you're on the opposite side of East Coast!
    Last edited by babu; 04-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    M3N, sweet deal on the Elite. If only I was in the bay. Talked to several shops around here and it sounds like the 2010's will not have the end of year supply that the 09's had due to the fact that Specialized just built fewer bikes this year. Just curious, but do new Stumpjumpers come with the Fox shock pumps, or do you have to buy those separately?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh I though you were since you listed Annadel as your favorite trail in your profile, I thought you meant Annadel SP. That shop sells the Comp for $1699, maybe they ran out already since there's non listed. They never gave me a shock pump when I bought mine a couple of years back, never thought of asking them though but I think a shop wouldn't mind giving you one if they have one laying around especially if you bought a bike from them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I grew up near Annadel but now live in AZ. That place is a treasure. Whenever I am back there I can't get enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The canadian spesh site still shows good selection of 09 bikes. Most Canuk dealers won't ship to the US because they end up getting charged the duty when the customer doesn't pay it, but you could always call around and see. The exchange rate isn't so good for you right now but it may be worth a few phone calls anyway. As for 08 they have almost nothing in the SJ anyway.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Look for a used bike on ebay that still has the reflectors on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The General Rules are........
    Pay 66% of retail for a bike/component 2 years old.
    Pay 50% of retail for a bike/component used. (if in good condition)
    Shops pay 65% of retail for most any bike and manufacturer.
    I'm sure all this varies so don't go all crazy on me.
    I'll never by new in California because tax is almost 10% now.
    Go used and spend the extra money on repairs.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 04-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is what I have seen so far. Stuff on ebay is generally in really good shape, and generally can fetch 75% of MSRP. Stuff on craigslist can be found for 50 - 60% of retail, but is generally in much worse condition than stuff on ebay. I didn't think frame dings were all that common, but I am seeing it in some of the Craigslist stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 1