mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Removal of BB91 cups at home

Is it really so difficult to remove the BB91 cups from the crank house without the Specialized removal tool that is supposed to be used?

My idea is to make a steal rectangle approximately 33 mm long and 16 mm wide and 5 mm thick. Then I will round the short ends to 33 mm diameter. If I lay the frame flat I can put the rounded rectangle inside the crank house so it rest on the back of the cup and finally use a rod and hammer to knock the cup out from the opposite side of the crank house. Could anything go wrong?

Is there anyone who has removed these cups themself with some other methods? What would the optimal diameter be?

The plan is to put in an OSBB crank.
    Last edited by ErikGBL; 06-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

if you dont need the bearings just take a malet and a long pipe

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL
    Is it really so difficult to remove the BB91 cups from the crank house without the Specialized removal tool that is supposed to be used?

My idea is to make a steal rectangle approximately 33 mm long and 16 mm wide and 5 mm thick. Then I will round the short ends to 33 mm diameter. If I lay the frame flat I can put the rounded rectangle inside the crank house so it rest on the back of the cup and finally use a rod and hammer to knock the cup out from the opposite side of the crank house. Could anything go wrong?

Is there anyone who has removed these cups them self with some other methods? What would the optimal diameter be?

The plan is to put in an OSBB crank.
    and tap it out .

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Agreed with above. Strictly speaking you only need to pressthe bearings out if you want to continue using them. Otherwise use a drift and a BFH.

Members who have read this thread: 0