Post your warranty & crash replacement experience with Specialzed!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Post your warranty & crash replacement experience with Specialzed!

Hey all,

I've been reading into a lot of user experiences with their bike warranty, from Ibis, Turner, etc. However, I have a Spesh bike and since S is one of the dominant make with a huge user base, I'd thought I post a thread to see what's your personal experience with S. Like what happened to your bike and what S eventually ended up doing for you. I would like to know, because my next bike purchase will partly be based on warranty reputation.

So let's hear the good, bad, and the ugly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Smile

Had a small defect on an older s-works frame and it was replaced within a week with a newer model year s-works frame.

Above and beyond my expectations and I am happy.

Regards,

Go SOLAR...
    Why do you think it will break in the first place?
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    1999 FSR-XC cracked chain stay. Replaced with newer version within a week.
    2003 Enduro Expert cracked seat tube mount. Replaced with 2004 Enduro Pro in a couple of days. IMO can't beat them for CS.

mtbr member
    2000 Enduro that the seat tube fell off... literally JRA and my seat fell out from under me. Weird. Anyway, Spec replaced it with a 2002 Enduro frame in a couple of weeks.

I've had lots of other Spec bikes with no issues, though.

Ben-Jammin
    I had a 2002 Enduro Pro frame crack on one of the welds on the seat mast, it was replaced with a 2003 Enduro Pro frame in about a week.

Then last year, the seat mast on the 2003 frame did the same thing and I had a new 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Pro frame in about week.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Specialized Customer service. I've never had bad service with any bike related company, actually. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stumpjumper fsr pro 09. Brain shock dial went out on me within a year and the local dealer replaced the whole shock for free within two days. Lots of problems with that year of brain shocks, but at least they admitted it. Pretty impressed overall.

-Ross-

mtbr member
    Its good news this side of the pond as well..I cannot praise the warranty and replacement services of specialized UK highly enough - Any doubts or worries you have about your purcahses are thoroughly un founded.
    I bought one of the first Enduro Pro Carbon S.L.s in 2007 - and like many others I had the usual problems with the early fork cartridges - they were replaced free of charge at my first service, and have never caused trouble since.
    A few months later I blew the future shock out at a trail centre - My LBS just poped the dud in an envelope back to Spesh, and replaced it with an 08 item - thats been good as gold .
    I was up the jumps and split my rear specialized resolution tyre - the LBS made a note of the cerial No on the tyre wall , sent it back to spesh and gave me Ģ20.00 shop credit against any tyre of my choice .
    After about a year of use - there was a problem that arose with the frame - it caused the laquer, paint and outer layer of my carbon to become unlaminated and lift and flake off . After a long chat with Specialized UK and my LBS , it was agreed that the fault was inherent in the design and therefore covered under the terms and conditions of the waranty. A replacement frame was supplied and my LBS did all the rebuild & swaping over of parts - including all new cables fixtures and fittings . (see my avater pic)
    Specialized are an honourable company and I would not hesitate to use their excellent products or reccomend SPECIALIZED U.K. and BIKESCENE GUISBROUGH highly enough .
    Last edited by twedspeed; 07-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    2005 Stumpjumper Expert. Broke the shock link at the weld in 2008 and Specialized sent out a new one pronto.

FWIW, a lot has to do with the relationship you have with your shop. A good relationship means they'll work harder for you. I wasn't the original owner of my frame, nor did I buy it from them. But I buy stuff there and shoot the **** occasionally, so they hooked me up.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    2009 enduro sl pro carbon, broke the seat tube some how. I have no idea how it broke or why. I'm not big (160lbs) don't go big but I ride very hard and don't slow down for much. I got my new frame in less than three days. The only issue was the headset. My 09 had a drop in campy headset, the 07 that my 09 was replaced with has a specialized mindset headset that presses in. When spec sent the replacment 07 they must have forgotten the difference but sent me the new headset in less than two days.

It does seem odd that they replacment frame is an 07 for my 09 but they are the same other than the bolt on routing clamp for the gravity dropper cable, the seat post clamp is a rediculously huge monster. the headset, and a bit of color differences.

I have a great relationship with my shop. The owner is one of my best friends and I work for him part time. However, I was in the room when he called S. He did not tell them anything about "this is an employee or, this is a really good friend of mine". He told them straight up, "I have a broken carbon sl here that's less than 6 months old".

The lifetime warranty will keep me on a specialized carbon bike for a very, very long time. And I can have pretty much anything.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro got a cracked headtube and got replaced with a 2010 Stumpjumper Expert frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
    2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro got a cracked headtube and got replaced with a 2010 Stumpjumper Expert frame

They gave you a 2010 SJ expert for a 2003 hardrock?

gmk
    angels get bald too
    Quote Originally Posted by seven1seven
    They gave you a 2010 SJ expert for a 2003 hardrock?
    i would say with at least some bucks $$

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    This experience, along with several shock/fork replacements under warranty secured my loyalty to Specialized. They are EXTREMELY responsive to warranty claims; getting your shop to actually acknowledge there's a claim to be made and follow through can easily be the biggest hurdle you'll encounter. Choose your LBS wisely!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479510

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    2010 sworks 29er

bad xx brake set - replaced via sram
    bad front hub bearings/seals - replaced via specialized
    bad chainring spider - replaced via sram - removed and replaced by specialized

No problems with warranty in my opinion

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador
    This experience, along with several shock/fork replacements under warranty secured my loyalty to Specialized. They are EXTREMELY responsive to warranty claims; getting your shop to actually acknowledge there's a claim to be made and follow through can easily be the biggest hurdle you'll encounter. Choose your LBS wisely!
    Shop I bought my SJ FSR from sent me a $20 gift card for my birthday. Awesome shop!

Global Bikes
    Gilbert & Chandler, AZ

mtbr member
    2010 Enduro S-Works.
    Rear shock started leaking oil from dials. Sent it to Toxoholic's in Germany, Fox's main service, had it back in 5 days good as new.

E160 started making a clunking noise and the negative spring was not set up properly and/or loosing air. One week later had a replacement from Specialized dialed to my weight/riding style. Sorted!

All good for me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2009 Stumpy ht comp with chainstays out of alignment. After a bit of friendly banter ended up with 2010 s-works ht frame.

Same bike with the infamous avid turkey gobble problem. As in UK no dedicated sram service centre so lbs contacted spesh' and they agreed to warranty out brakes with Hope tech x2's!

They have a customer for life here.

Cheers, Jim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good to hear all the good stories. Sometimes around here all we hear is mostly horror stories because it's only when problem occur do people come on here to post. So I just wanted to see the success stories too.

I'm glad to hear that some of you got new frames for your ancient ones! Not sure if you had to pay additional money for the new frames, but glad to hear you got them!

I myself have the 2007 S-Works Enduro, size medium. I'm very happy with it. Don't have much complaint about it. Never have broken anything, except bent the rear derail hanger a couple time. but I'm only 130 lbs so it's not like I can break the bike easily.

Within the next year or so, I will be in the market for another all-mountain bike (probably will keep the Enduro since I've invested so much money in blinging it out already!). And right now I'm setting my sight on the Pivot Firebird, Turner RFX (if it ever gets released!), Mojo HD, and Specialized Evo Enduro. (Really want to experience all the hypes of DW link bikes.). And I with another big ticket purchase, I thought I should start gathering evidence about warranty!
    Last edited by chauzie; 07-26-2010 at 04:01 PM.

turtles make me hot
    Last Sunday, my swingarm broke 45 seconds into a ride. I went home, removed it, went to the shop to order a new one. Last night, while disassembling the rest of the bike to service all of the pivot bearings, I found a crack in my main frame where the seat tube transcends into the bottom bracket. I am not hard on this bike, but I am a Clyde.
    Bike's an '08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I'm curious to see what I end up with. I'm bummed because I REALLY like the Army paint job on my bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why do you think it will break in the first place?
    Everything breaks eventually!
    Took my 2000 Stumpy hardtail to the LBS for a tune-up in 2008. They found a crack in the seat tube I hadn't known about, and I had an '08 Stumpy frame with most of my old components mounted within 2 weeks. I'd certainly second the other opinions on Spec's customer service. I've had some less-than-good experience with Jamis in the past, but I think mostly due to the quality of the dealer.

mtbr member
    I can't Break My 1997 Spec. S.Jumper FS A1, Its been 97% upgraded , and know i love the classic even more because it rides way better. As soon as i get a real camera i will post it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbonedoc
    Took my 2000 Stumpy hardtail to the LBS for a tune-up in 2008. They found a crack in the seat tube I hadn't known about, and I had an '08 Stumpy frame with most of my old components mounted within 2 weeks. I'd certainly second the other opinions on Spec's customer service. I've had some less-than-good experience with Jamis in the past, but I think mostly due to the quality of the dealer.
    Good thing you said "quality of dealer". According to Specialized, all warranty must go through the dealer. Some dealer are more willing than others.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbonedoc
    Ya I know....was just curious.
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2010 S-Works Epic:

Bad XX front brake caliper - replaced by SRAM
    Bad front roval wheel bearings - replaced by Specialized.
    Cracked drive side chain stay - replaced within 1 week (hopefully) by Specialized. I found out today that it should be back tomorrow or Monday.

mtbr member
    OK, I'll add my 2cents to this topic...

Purchased a 2006 Stumpy Expert and happened to go over a minor double that was not quite as smooth on the down side as the initial launch. Somehow I ended up over the bars and managed to ovalize the frame headtube and royally trash both my Talas and my front wheel. It wasn't easy and it took a lot of "story telling" but after about 6 months of going back and forth, I ended up with a brand spankin new 09 Stumpy Pro for the $25.00 processing fee. I gave $350.00 to Fox for the new Talas under their replacement warranty program and have since purchased new better wheels. Quite frankly, it was 100% my fault and Specialized could have decided to have gone either way. In the end, I am very pleased with their CS and would defintely buy another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ^ Benster,
    did you get the warranty by dealing with Specialized directly? or did you have to go through your bike shop?

My understanding is that all warranty has to go through LBS.

mtbr member
    You are correct, I went through a local Specialized dealer for the frame.

turtles make me hot
    Anyone ever had any luck with this? Just wondering... I mentioned above that I broke my 08 Stumpy. The newer frames have tapered headtubes and the Fox brainshock, so none of it is compatible with my stuff. They offered me a silver frame which I know is an 09. In order for this to work for me, they'll have to give me an 08 swingarm. I'm fine with all of this, except I'm sure the 09 frame is made just like the 08 frame , where the 10 and 11 have been improved in the area where mine broke. If I don't like the 09 frame, I'm going to try to offer to pay the difference to just get a new bike. Think I'll have any luck?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    From what I understand they aren't very intrested in people "paying the difference". I'm very close with my local shop owner and even he told me if I wanted to go to a 2010 from my 09 I'd have almost no chance of getting one even though mine was broke and under warranty.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

1:18
    Had a few snapped chainstays on the bike (known issue, took them a bit to redesign to symmetrical).

First two issues were resolved in a matter of few days. Quick and easy. The last one took 3 months due to parts shortage and because the frame is older generation. At the end everything was sorted out with a considerable help of the shop where the frame was bought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Recently went from an 2008 SJ FSR Elite - with Triad (crack formed around rear upper BB area) to a new 2010 SJ FSR Pro frame with brain. Couldn't be happier with the outcome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    have just had an carbon epic marathon frame replaced under warrenty and paid difference to upgrade to an s works frame absolutly over the moon

turtles make me hot
    Ok. I mentioned earlier that I cracked the frame on my 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. They had no more 08's in XL, so they gave me an 09. The bike is silver, so now I no longer have my ultra cool army paint job. The new frame came with a Triad, where my old one had a brain shock. They're sending me a swingarm with a brain mount on it. I have to say, I rode the bike this weekend with the Triad and felt no difference between the Triad and the Brainshock.
    All in all, I'm pretty happy. The only part that totally sucked was being without a bike for the best two weeks of the summer.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an 08' s-works stumpjumper that has been through many shock and fork replacements/overhauls with the brains and shocks failing. It has all been covered, but sometimes takes a while. Also replaced the frame with an 09' after cracking the downtube but I did have to pay for it. Mostly the serivce has been good to excellent, but the amount of time the bike is in the shop for suspension problems is obscene. Now I have been waiting nearly a month after bringing the fork in for routine maintenance/service. That's too long for something that requires regular service and they need to have quicker turn around. This is my last s-works.

mtbr member
    Two saddle warranty issues a couple of years back. Both rails bent in crash (BG Comp cro-mo and Rival SL ti) but Spec replaced both quickly and without issue.

Ben-Jammin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet16
    Now I have been waiting nearly a month after bringing the fork in for routine maintenance/service. That's too long for something that requires regular service and they need to have quicker turn around.
    That seems to be an issue with your LBS, not Specialized.

mtbr member
    2008 Enduro SL Comp. Rear wheel kept snapping spokes for no reason other than POS. Replaced under warranty with DTSwiss 240 hub w/RWS same rear wheel that came stock on 2007 S Works Enduro SL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie
    Hey all,

I've been reading into a lot of user experiences with their bike warranty, from Ibis, Turner, etc. However, I have a Spesh bike and since S is one of the dominant make with a huge user base, I'd thought I post a thread to see what's your personal experience with S. Like what happened to your bike and what S eventually ended up doing for you. I would like to know, because my next bike purchase will partly be based on warranty reputation.

So let's hear the good, bad, and the ugly!
    BAD:

hello, I am the owner of demo1, and mean this:1- The fork doesn't work right. It's very hard and it doesn't use the full travel. It was a month
    and a half at the customer Service of Rock Shox but they didn't fixed. Both Specialized and the
    Dealer didn't anything nor care about the problem.

2-Four months ago, the lacquer started to chip-out. Specialized told me to wait to see if it
    peels in other parts or if the damaged part grows. Now the frame has lost the lacquer in many
    spots. I sent the bike to Specialized Distributor in Spain and he told me that he has nothing to
    talk with me, because he only talks with Dealers, not with Customers. When I pressed him a
    little bit asking for a solution, he shout me with very bad manners that they aren't going to fix
    my bike under warranty because the peels become from falls.

3-The lacquer scratches by itself. As you can see in pics number 2, 3, 4 and 5, the paint is fine,
    and there isn't any kind of harm around the peeled zones. It's only the lacquer that is chipped-
    out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=653471

Cthulhu fhtagn
    why would a company give you a replacement frame if you broke it in a crash?

i could understand it was broke during normal riding due to bad workmanship or bad welds or something

car manufacturers dont give you a new car if you crash one why should bike manufacturers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    why would a company give you a replacement frame if you broke it in a crash?

i could understand it was broke during normal riding due to bad workmanship or bad welds or something

car manufacturers dont give you a new car if you crash one why should bike manufacturers?
    it is not a car, is a bicycle......

Cthulhu fhtagn
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpuk
    it is not a car, is a bicycle......
    Your point?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had good warranty experiences with Specialized.

I had a 2002 Enduro which, within a month or so of purchase, cracked at the front shock mount. The replacement frame lasted nearly a year, cracking near a weld on the seat mount. The next replacement frame was a spiffy looking red S-Works frame. It lasted slightly longer, but it too cracked in the same place as the second frame. The fourth frame has held up, but I haven't ridden it much as I've given the bike to my son who is lighter than I am and rides far less. (Otherwise, I think that it, too, would be cracked by now.) In each case the frame was replaced in roughly one week's time with no out of pocket cost to myself, save for transportation costs to and from the bike shop.

By way of contrast, I've had warranty experiences with other manufacturers in which it took several months to get the bike back and in which I've had to pay to switch the parts over to the new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Took my 2005 Stumpjumper 120 expert into the shop with an undiagnosable (to me) creak after 5 hard seasons. Like others have experienced, the shock link had cracked along the weld. Shop had me good to go in about 5 days. Excellent experience.

On the negative side, the bike has developed play at the shock/link interface and another dealer told me this was not a warranty issue. Thes shock eye itself had become ovalized and this is not covered by warranty.

On wuss patrol

My 2010 SJ Expert Brain Story

The link to my thread in this forum. Took less than a week to get me back on the trail. I hope Specialized can make money at this gig

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=649068
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    My experience was great.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    lets see I have a few

Cracked a Chainstay on a 99 Enduro -- replacement chainstays less than a week!

broke a Chainstay on a 97 Rockhopper in 05 -- Replacement frame ( a hard rock ) in 10 days

Headtube weld on a 2004 FSR XC Pro cracked in 07 , replaced with a New FSR stumpjumper frame ( I had to buy the Brain Shock )

07 -10 have had to replace ( under warrenty ) the Brain 7 times! Yes they are begging to question that one , and Yes I am looking into getting a different rear shock.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Specialized must be making a very large profit on every frame and bike they sell to offer warranty coverage like this--you know. Not complaining just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylor
    Specialized must be making a very large profit on every frame and bike they sell to offer warranty coverage like this--you know. Not complaining just thinking out loud.
    Or... It may be that Specialized just sells a lot of bikes, many to folks who won't use the bike enough to ever need the warranty.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    2009 Epic Maraton Carbon and the chainstay pivot broke loose in the seat tube during a race. Specialized replaced the frame with a 2010 model. Took 4 weeks, but that is because I'm down under in NZ. The same bike has had forks and shocks replaced under warranty,

No complaints here.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Worked at an S dealer all through college and didn't see a single instance of them failing to warranty a frame that was a manufacturer's defect.

Saw alot of JRA excuses though... - 'I was 'just riding along' and the frame broke. It also happened to trash the front wheel and bend the fork back at a 45 degree angle, but it wasn't my fault'.

A mountain bike should handle a decent amount of abuse, but if you take a header into a tree, then that is clearly your fault and should not be covered under warranty. Easy to tell - If you trash a wheel and break your frame at the same time, then something bad happened. Strolling into the shop wearing a sling is another sign that something wasn't right. Even in those cases they would offer a 'crash replacement' at a significant discount. Pretty good considering they can't control the fact that you stacked it up on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

way too much warranty work

Specialized warranty department must be pretty busy. This time my shock gave me three weeks of riding which seems to be near the average lifespan. Went over a one foot drop and that killed it. Speciazlied is supposed to send an airsleeve kit to me overnight and if they actually do I can't complain too much. But I've missed more good riding opportunities than not this season waiting for suspension parts on what is basicially a new bike--2009 S-works stumpjumper. I wish they wouldn't warranty the suspension because then I could justify stripping the parts and running it over with my truck. But since they do I will fix it again and relegate it gravel road riding or maybe use it as a commuter--I couldn't even sell it in good conscious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Follow up to my frustration. Spech came through for me and I have to credit my LBS for making that happen and getting me back riding within 48 hours at no cost to me. So the warranty service can be excellent and is usually at least good in my experience, but the root of the problem with their suspension faults is still out there. If you buy a high end specialized bike be sure you have a good shop close by--or have money to waste and buy a second for a spare.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    '09 Epic marathon AFR shock blew out at 11 months. Took it to the LBS where I bought it on a Thursday. S warrantied it, shipped it, and LBS installed it and had me back on the trail by Tuesday. You hear a lot of non-S riders dissing them, but for my money you can't beat the R&D, quality, warranty & CS.

mtbr member
    2006 SX Trail I, my chainstay broke the other day. Took it to my trusted LBS who went to bat for me, but Specialized refused to warranty the chainstay.

Apparently the lifetime frame warranty does not cover suspension parts, which includes the rear half of the frame and the chainstays.

Very disappointing, and I'm really regretting buying brand new Specialized vs. a cheaper used model.

On wuss patrol
    @ TomS... bummer about your rear triangle. It is stated in the written warranty that only the front is covered lifetime on FS while the rear has a limited time coverage. Did you check to see if the part is available and could be had for a crash replacement discount? If so, you may be able to be back up and riding pretty cheap. I mean, you did get 4 years out of it.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

GreeneDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S
    2006 SX Trail I, my chainstay broke the other day. Took it to my trusted LBS who went to bat for me, but Specialized refused to warranty the chainstay.

Apparently the lifetime frame warranty does not cover suspension parts, which includes the rear half of the frame and the chainstays.

Very disappointing, and I'm really regretting buying brand new Specialized vs. a cheaper used model.
    I have a 07 SX Trail and lost my shock shuttle mount.(Insane I know but it happened.) Specialized doesn't have any so my bike is done. I have gone to all the shops around me and no one has any. Spoke to Specialized rep and about it on Friday and he told me I definitely could do a crash replacement. Is it up to the dealer or Specialized. Is there always a charge for a new frame? Who determines the amount of the charge? Rep I talked to said I could pick between a new SX or Enduro frame.

Whats the deal?
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 II
    2014 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon

namagomi
    New, 2008 SJ FSR. The bottom bracket improperly machined and shop agreed, sent for claim. Noticed defect because of horrible creaking promptly developed after purchase. Claim was denied by Specialized, everything was "fine" they did give me a new BB for my troubles. I took it home in frustration, removed the bb they put in which still creaked, and threw a lot of Teflon tape into the threads where they weren't machined properly so the BB would stop shifting/creaking. Creaking stopped but underlying issue not solved and will probably require more of my time.

This was Specialized Canada.

GreeneDog
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
    What did they charge you for the replacement? I am being told the "Crash replacement price" is something close to the wholesale price of a new frame. What did they do for you?
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 II
    2014 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet16
    Specialized warranty department must be pretty busy. This time my shock gave me three weeks of riding which seems to be near the average lifespan. Went over a one foot drop and that killed it. Specialized is supposed to send an airsleeve kit to me overnight and if they actually do I can't complain too much. But I've missed more good riding opportunities than not this season waiting for suspension parts on what is basicially a new bike--2009 S-works stumpjumper. I wish they wouldn't warranty the suspension because then I could justify stripping the parts and running it over with my truck. But since they do I will fix it again and relegate it gravel road riding or maybe use it as a commuter--I couldn't even sell it in good conscious.
    Hey at least they're fixing yours under warranty. My 09 s works epic shock failed after only 15 or so rides and they refuse to warranty it and instead say it needs a 150 hour service. I have to pay for the service which isn't so bad but I'm without my bike for TWO WEEKS.

Specialized knows these shocks are horribly unreliable and instead of owning up to their mistakes and creating goodwill with a customer who likes buying $10,000 bikes they decide to do this.

They also have failed to warranty my Tarmac road bike frame where the oem specialized rear wheel flexed so much it rubbed two grooves all the way through the resin and into the carbon on both of the chainstays.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by w cole
    My 09 s works epic shock failed after only 15 or so rides and they refuse to warranty it and instead say it needs a 150 hour service.
    How did it fail? Leaking oil? Leaking air? Stuck? If any of these, have your shop keep pushing Speshy on this. They should cave and replace it. They did with my '10 SJ Brain after telling me it simply needed an airsleeve seal kit when leaking oil from the first ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    How did it fail? Leaking oil? Leaking air? Stuck? If any of these, have your shop keep pushing Speshy on this. They should cave and replace it. They did with my '10 SJ Brain after telling me it simply needed an airsleeve seal kit when leaking oil from the first ride.
    Leaking oil around stanchion. Brain no longer has any platform. Makes"swishing" noises (sounds like oil has mixed with the air?).

I didn't realize how many problems the shocks on these bikes had before mine broke and I did a search. In hindsight I probably would have rethought my purchase decision even though I'm a diehard Spec fanboy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpuk
    BAD:

hello, I am the owner of demo1, and mean this:1- The fork doesn't work right. It's very hard and it doesn't use the full travel. It was a month
    and a half at the customer Service of Rock Shox but they didn't fixed. Both Specialized and the
    Dealer didn't anything nor care about the problem.

2-Four months ago, the lacquer started to chip-out. Specialized told me to wait to see if it
    peels in other parts or if the damaged part grows. Now the frame has lost the lacquer in many
    spots. I sent the bike to Specialized Distributor in Spain and he told me that he has nothing to
    talk with me, because he only talks with Dealers, not with Customers. When I pressed him a
    little bit asking for a solution, he shout me with very bad manners that they aren't going to fix
    my bike under warranty because the peels become from falls.

3-The lacquer scratches by itself. As you can see in pics number 2, 3, 4 and 5, the paint is fine,
    and there isn't any kind of harm around the peeled zones. It's only the lacquer that is chipped-
    out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=653471
    From your pictures where the lacquar has come away looks to be impact marks which has chipped the lacquar, so this would not be classed as a warranty claim as it has eiother been crashed or had an impact of some kind.
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK

And I'm out.
    There may be some maintenance issues here ( lack of, or other)....

dog lover-not in that way
    I bought my bike last December and I've done 26 races on it this year and lots and lots of training.

Two weeks ago I was about an hour into a 2 hour race and I broke one of the rails on my Phenom SL seat. It was uncomfortable to ride but I was winning and wasn't about to quit. My dealer had the warranty replacement by Wednesday the following week.

Then last Sunday I was riding some pretty twisty trails and this happened in a high speed banked turn:

It felt and sounded like I hit something but the only way I knew anything was wrong with the bike was because I could feel my tire rubbing the frame. The chainstay had snapped clean in two.

I posted the photo on Facebook and when I called the bike shop on Monday they said they had seen the photo and had already called it into Specialized. I picked the bike up today:

The replacement chainstay doesn't have any paint or stickers but that just makes it lighter

While they had the bike taken apart the shop also replaced the pivot bearings because they said they felt a little rough.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Specialized, their warranty service and of course A&B Cycle.

mtbr member
    My 2006 FSR XC developed a crack in the frame on the top tube where the front of the shock supports are welded. Specialized replaced it with a 2010 Stumpjumper Pro frame.

Locs on Spokez
    2003 Bighit Comp - 3 rear shock links, $$
    2007 SX-Trail - chainstay, free
    2008 SX - front triangle, haven't received replacement yet ~
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

1:18
    @Iggz, just curious, where did the front triangle on SX went crack?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I turned in my 07 Sumpy Pro for work and was told that my rear shock was bolwn (explains some issues I have been having) and said it needed to be rebuilt but that it was under my frame warranty. I got the bike back two weeks later in great shape, though my bike shop charged me $150 and gave it back to me with 35psi in the rear shock. I questioned them on the $150 because i was told it would be free, they said it was a Specialized charge and they had changed there warranty policy.... Is this true???
    2007 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    2006 Trek Fuel EX9
    2009 Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Voogan
    I turned in my 07 Sumpy Pro for work and was told that my rear shock was bolwn (explains some issues I have been having) and said it needed to be rebuilt but that it was under my frame warranty. I got the bike back two weeks later in great shape, though my bike shop charged me $150 and gave it back to me with 35psi in the rear shock. I questioned them on the $150 because i was told it would be free, they said it was a Specialized charge and they had changed there warranty policy.... Is this true???
    As I understand it, suspension related components (which includes the shock) are not covered under the frame warranty. I think your shop just gave you the wrong info when you brought in the bike. In my opinion, they ought to have informed you as soon as they learned of their error.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    As I understand it, suspension related components (which includes the shock) are not covered under the frame warranty. I think your shop just gave you the wrong info when you brought in the bike. In my opinion, they ought to have informed you as soon as they learned of their error.

Interesting I was told because it was a Pro and because it had a Specialized rear shock it would be covered by the warranty. I am not really concerned I have been riding it for 3 years on some pretty heavy mountain trails and have had no issues. I was just curious of peoples thoughts on that issue.
    2007 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    2006 Trek Fuel EX9
    2009 Safire Comp

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Voogan
    Interesting I was told because it was a Pro and because it had a Specialized rear shock it would be covered by the warranty. I am not really concerned I have been riding it for 3 years on some pretty heavy mountain trails and have had no issues. I was just curious of peoples thoughts on that issue.
    Nope, 1year. Maybe there was a bit of salesmanship involved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Having hardest time getting my old 98 fsr warranty, bought it when I worked in the shop, but I dont have a receite, never ran it through the register. Shops are saying must have the receite, Shop I worked at closed over 9 years ago. Other problem is, I have two 99 FSR XC both chainstays are cracked. last dealer told me ther still trying to find one. and what scares me my last specialized is a 04 Enduro and those too are know for cracking. Not having good luck with Specialized Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I work in a shop that's a Specialized dealer and deal with most of the warranties. In my experience they are the best company for customer service (other than SRAM). I've had multiple frames etc replaced or upgraded.

- 2007 Stumpy FSR Pro with a cracked seat tube, replaced with a 2010 S-works Stumpy FSR
    - 2005 Tarmac with a cracked bb, replaced with a 2010 i only a few days
    - 2008 S-works Transition replaced with a 2011 S-works Transition because of a tiny nick in a decal that "apparently" occured when the used bike was sent back for bb inspection. (not sure when the nick occured, there were plenty of other scratches on his bike, so I wouldn't be suprised if it had been there the whole time.)
    - My personal Stumpy HT was replaced with no questions asked with a brand new one after i had a small crack in my bb

And I'm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by khartle
    Having hardest time getting my old 98 fsr warranty, bought it when I worked in the shop, but I dont have a receite, never ran it through the register. Shops are saying must have the receite, Shop I worked at closed over 9 years ago. Other problem is, I have two 99 FSR XC both chainstays are cracked. last dealer told me ther still trying to find one. and what scares me my last specialized is a 04 Enduro and those too are know for cracking. Not having good luck with Specialized Bikes

Therein lies a shop guy problem.... you want a _____ but you don't want to pay full tilt for it.... you pay the manager 250 a week and a few weeks later it's yours.... Then the shop closes. Now you have a bike but no receipt for it and Specialized Warranty has no way to help you because they _must_ have the receipt of the original owner to be able to proceed...... no receipt= no warranty...

Warning: ALWAYS have / get a receipt for anything you buy anywhere everytime!!!!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215
    I work in a shop that's a Specialized dealer and deal with most of the warranties. In my experience they are the best company for customer service (other than SRAM). I've had multiple frames etc replaced or upgraded.

- 2007 Stumpy FSR Pro with a cracked seat tube, replaced with a 2010 S-works Stumpy FSR
    - 2005 Tarmac with a cracked bb, replaced with a 2010 i only a few days
    - 2008 S-works Transition replaced with a 2011 S-works Transition because of a tiny nick in a decal that "apparently" occured when the used bike was sent back for bb inspection. (not sure when the nick occured, there were plenty of other scratches on his bike, so I wouldn't be suprised if it had been there the whole time.)
    - My personal Stumpy HT was replaced with no questions asked with a brand new one after i had a small crack in my bb
    Lotta broken frames...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does this cover shocks as well?

Well my e150 fork has been leaking oil out of the height adjuster knob for about 6 months now and the fork doesn't absorb anything, but it was in the heart of summer riding and didn't want to be without a bike for a month so I put up with it. So just a month ago I bring it in thinking it will be free... its not.

I brought it in and the shop called specialized and told them what was up, well specialized says that what is wrong with my fork isn't covered under warranty, its considered maintenance. So its gonna cost me about 150$ to have it serviced.

I think this is BS, a seal in the fork that they put together has broke, that has nothing to do with maintenance especially being only a year old. They claim to cover their suspension for 5 years and if this is considered maintenance then what does the warranty actually cover? Cause when it comes down to it anything can be considered maintenance. I have a truck with 300k miles and have never replaced the shocks....

All I can say is I'm partially pissed about this, and I'm not going to pay for it either way. So I hope Specialized is ready for a fight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam

Well my e150 fork has been leaking oil out of the height adjuster knob for about 6 months now and the fork doesn't absorb anything, but it was in the heart of summer riding and didn't want to be without a bike for a month so I put up with it. So just a month ago I bring it in thinking it will be free... its not.

I brought it in and the shop called specialized and told them what was up, well specialized says that what is wrong with my fork isn't covered under warranty, its considered maintenance. So its gonna cost me about 150$ to have it serviced.

I think this is BS, a seal in the fork that they put together has broke, that has nothing to do with maintenance especially being only a year old. They claim to cover their suspension for 5 years and if this is considered maintenance then what does the warranty actually cover? Cause when it comes down to it anything can be considered maintenance. I have a truck with 300k miles and have never replaced the shocks....

All I can say is I'm partially pissed about this, and I'm not going to pay for it either way. So I hope Specialized is ready for a fight.
    How many hours do you have on your bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got a Stumpy Carbon 29er the drive side chain stay broke right in the middle. Specialized is warrenting the frame with a 2011. They told my LBS that it would be the end of this month before I would get it they offered an aluminum frame as a loaner in the mean time. You really can't beat that. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send an Swork replacement.

namagomi

e150 seem to all have issues. It is a double kick in the nads for you because the wheel hub is proprietary to the fork. Not only would you need a new fork, but also a front wheel. The guys who i know that had one just ate the loss on the fork early on, swore never again and bought a standard fork and new wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    How many hours do you have on your bike?
    Absolutely no clue, quite a bit I would figure.

I put 1k miles on it within a time span of 1 year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    e150 seem to all have issues. It is a double kick in the nads for you because the wheel hub is proprietary to the fork. Not only would you need a new fork, but also a front wheel. The guys who i know that had one just ate the loss on the fork early on, swore never again and bought a standard fork and new wheel.
    The fork is good when its working, but on trails where you don't leave the ground. You have to run low pressure for it to absorb little hits, but by doing this it bottoms out on 3 ft drops. Too much air it doesn't absorb any of the small stuff but can withstand the larger drops. A hit and miss fork.

This is my first mtb so I've learned a lot from it within the year of owning it. My next bike I will be building it myself with no proprietary components. Will either be building up a dh bike or putting the money into a new fox 36.

namagomi
    The fork is good when its working, but on trails where you don't leave the ground. You have to run low pressure for it to absorb little hits, but by doing this it bottoms out on 3 ft drops. Too much air it doesn't absorb any of the small stuff but can withstand the larger drops. A hit and miss fork.

This is my first mtb so I've learned a lot from it within the year of owning it. My next bike I will be building it myself with no proprietary components. Will either be building up a dh bike or putting the money into a new fox 36.
    Yeah, i hear that... switching one component shouldn't entail a divorce court like custody battle with the bicycle company, in which you end up losing half your stuff!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I bought one of the 08 enduros new, found out they had lots of issues with the e150 fork, sold mine less than a month later. I still have my 04 enduro and i like that ride better. Just waiting for that to crack two.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I have a 10 hour old 2011 s-works stumpjumper fsr frame being boxed up ready for shipping to my lbs to then pass onto Specialized.
    I noticed the brain had swivelled onto the lower chain stay. and started rubbing the inside of the chain-stay, the paint has gone and some aluminium, bit more than just cosmetic, If I had crashed and caused damage I'd understand better. I'm a bit gutted as every other cable rub and outer stays were protected by good old 3M.
    I was half tempted to buy my own chain stay to have some peace of mind and get out there as soon as possible. As its an expensive frame thought I'd let the lbs sort it out and keep the warranty. I've only had great service re: warranty. Hope I hear good things soon. That reminds me I need to order new cables. I am loyal to specialized as I have a roubaix and hardrock in the family and a Rockhopper planned for night rides when I get the chance.
    Last edited by catnash; 02-02-2011 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Remember your LBS people. They go to bat for you and tell Specialized to hook you up. It has happened three times for me now and I have to say that Spec. and Mojo Wheels in Denver, Co both totally rule and I will be a long-time customer.

1. Mojo's manager got me a crash-replacement seatstay for a 06 demo 9 that I bought used online. Gave it to me at his cost.

2. Spec. replaced my 2010 Stumpy HT 29er Comp frame with a 2011. Rear brake noise issue.

3. New 2011 Roval EL Control 29er wheelset was handed over for the real problem with the above-mentioned Stumpy Comp- a badly machined rear hub shell on the 2010 Rovals I had on the bike.

So Spec. and Mojo basically hooked me up big time- a new frame AND wheelset even though the problem was only a rear hub shell. My shop was just as (or more) responsible for the great customer service as Speshy- they went above and beyond to remedy the situation.

I can get really good deals online and wrench my own bike. But I get basically race team treatment at my Spec. stocked LBS so I will stay loyal. BTW they match almost any price listed online- even places like Chain Reaction Cycles.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    Remember your LBS people. They go to bat for you and tell Specialized to hook you up. It has happened three times for me now and I have to say that Spec. and Mojo Wheels in Denver, Co both totally rule and I will be a long-time customer.

1. Mojo's manager got me a crash-replacement seatstay for a 06 demo 9 that I bought used online. Gave it to me at his cost.

2. Spec. replaced my 2010 Stumpy HT 29er Comp frame with a 2011. Rear brake noise issue.

3. New 2011 Roval EL Control 29er wheelset was handed over for the real problem with the above-mentioned Stumpy Comp- a badly machined rear hub shell on the 2010 Rovals I had on the bike.

So Spec. and Mojo basically hooked me up big time- a new frame AND wheelset even though the problem was only a rear hub shell. My shop was just as (or more) responsible for the great customer service as Speshy- they went above and beyond to remedy the situation.

I can get really good deals online and wrench my own bike. But I get basically race team treatment at my Spec. stocked LBS so I will stay loyal. BTW they match almost any price listed online- even places like Chain Reaction Cycles.
    Proper warranty work shouldn't be the result of bro hookups... if that is how big S operates i'm disappointed.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Proper warranty work shouldn't be the result of bro hookups... if that is how big S operates i'm disappointed.
    Real world. Most manufacturers. Most LBSs. Even online sellers. It's about building the relationships.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Real world. Most manufacturers. Most LBSs. Even online sellers. It's about building the relationships.
    You're saying the LBS and Specialized don't have todo the right thing if you didn't let them hose you down for over-priced parts or free beer? Because that is what the relationship you're mentioning is about.

In the real world getting your warranty work done is a matter of legality and we should not be expected to beg for what is rightfully ours. If Specialized won't hold up their warranty because i'm not bro-bro with a LBS they just lost a customer forever and the middleman LBS will be dragged through the mud. I can always find a different supplier but they can't find new purchasers so easy.

Go get your free beer someplace else and one day you'll be the victim of your own "relationships" and see how meritorious they are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well here we go... First issue.

Cracked rear triangle on my 2008 Stumpy HT 29er.

I don't have my receipt, and the shop I bought it from is no longer a speshy dealer. Luckily my shop sponsor now is, an I financed said bike on an S card so I'm sure I can paper trail it.

Very much a manufactured defect. No crash, just a load pop coming down a hill.

I'll keep you informed.

G

mtbr member
    Great stories everyone,I'm glad I've moved to Specialized.
    You should hear my stories with Lapierre-Crackpierre warranty issues,they can rival a mexican soap opera....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione
    Great stories everyone,I'm glad I've moved to Specialized.
    You should hear my stories with Lapierre-Crackpierre warranty issues,they can rival a mexican soap opera....

Go ahead, Lapierre is getting bigger and bigger here, so I for one would like to hear your story. Good or bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    Go ahead, Lapierre is getting bigger and bigger here, so I for one would like to hear your story. Good or bad.
    They look amazing and until you stick to crosscountry they perform amazing aswell,while their AM line is completely lame IMHO. I had to sell my Zesty 714,it was a way too BIG bike to be considered and AM one and no,the size was ok.

My X Control 910 : a 6000 Euro worth of bike wich has obviously been assembled by someone as good as me in piloting the Space Shuttle. The granny wheel was eating out the bottom bracket area,something very easy to spost since the pedals moved backwards never moved freely but rather in a slow and "creamy " way. Originally I thought it was the BB way to spin until I've seen the carbon fiber damage on the BB area.
    Sent Lapierre detailed pics of the grinded BB area and their first reply has been " that is impossible,we never ever had a X control with that problem.." . I had to ship the bike back to France 2 weeks ago and so far I have no idea where my bike is or when I will see it again.

I'm done whit these " boutique bikes"...

mtbr member
    Update to my story above:

The second Stumpy 29er M5 frame (2011) had the same brake vibration noise issue as the previous frame (2010). The replaced Roval wheelset was not the problem. I brought the bike back to the LBS.

Long story short- The LBS gave me a new frame to replace the Stumpy. It is a Voodoo Canzo 2011. They took a loss on the deal.

Support your LBS. They will help you out. I now will be purchasing a new Specialized bike at my dealer this summer as a show of gratitude. Even though I had a problem with a couple of frames, the way it was handled by Spesh and my LBS was impressive.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    My latest warranty issue was going really well. The brain on my 1st S-Works SJ FSR had rotated onto the chainstay after 10 hours use, I was going to buy a new chainstay but luckily was offered a new frame.
    However the 2nd frame after it was built up had the exact same problem with the connection to the frame where the brain is bolted. I just cant believe it before any use. The LBS have been great, been told that they need to file .5mm - 1mm at the join. They are sending a courier to collect the bike to file the connection. However I am now in two minds to now get another frame without a brain.
    Had another look at the area to be filed and can't see how filing will ensure it doesn't happen again. Should I let them try? or push for another frame without a brain?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had a rear triangle issue with my bike.. fell on a rocky trail and bent the seat stay, replacement was $100 from specialized, labor wasn't too much from the shop.

So... in the future, plan to break my front triangle to get new bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    2009 Epic Marathon Carbon

issue 1 - shock died - replaced
    issue 2 - new shock damaged the underside of the top tube (rubbed off a significant amount of carbon) due to the tube coming out of the shock sitting too high - frame replaced with 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon frame
    issue 3 - fork failed - internals replaced
    issue 4 - shock died after 3months use - replaced with new Fox built shock
    issue 5 - fork failed again - internals replaced

partners 2010 SWorks Era
    issue 1 - fork failed - internals replaced
    issue 2 - shock failed, no Fox built womens shocks available, replaced with Speecy built shock

No complaints about Speecy - they have simply replaced the forks/shocks with no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Enduro Pro Carbon

Last week busted the carbon holding the lower shock eyelets on my 2009 pro carbon. Spec replaced with a 2008 S-Works frame. Not sure how the eyelets broke, riding the same trails I ride all the time, no hard crashes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your warranty & crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-enduro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TEvans73 View Post
    Last week busted the carbon holding the lower shock eyelets on my 2009 pro carbon. Spec replaced with a 2008 S-Works frame. Not sure how the eyelets broke, riding the same trails I ride all the time, no hard crashes.
    Weird that they used an older model year frame. Cool though that they upgraded you to an S-Works frame!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It was that or an 07 blue/grey pro carbon. From what I understand from my LBS that was all they had left in XL. The newer Enduro frames would require a diffrent fork and rear shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It was that or an 07 blue/grey pro carbon. From what I understand from my LBS that was all they had left in XL. The newer Enduro frames would require a diffrent fork and rear shock.
    Makes sense now. You were lucky then to get that 08 S-Works frame. Had they been forced to upgrade you to the newer-style frames, you might've had to purchase a new fork, rear shock, and perhaps other components too to go on the newer style frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Found cracks in seat stays of 2011 Carbon Stumpjumper EVO R 29er and they are sending the European version of my frame as a replacement (Marathon Carbon HT and the only difference is the paint job)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Makes sense now. You were lucky then to get that 08 S-Works frame. Had they been forced to upgrade you to the newer-style frames, you might've had to purchase a new fork, rear shock, and perhaps other components too to go on the newer style frame.
    Lucky? Humm… well yes it was a free upgrade, but to tell the wife, darn honey I have to buy a new Fox 36mm 160 1.5 taper Talus fork with Kashima coat and Fox RP32 shock because the frame replacement was a new Enduro 2011 s-works … priceless?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    [QUOTE=TEvans73;8191257]Last week busted the carbon holding the lower shock eyelets on my 2009 pro carbon.

Basically, the same thing happened to me (not to the extend of having to deal with a failure) ... and Spesch relaced my 2008 Pro Carb with a brand new 2011 Pro Carb (shock and fork included !!!!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very nice! looks like they are out of whatever size 2007 - 2009 pro carbon/s-works frame you have. So the spec front hub works as a 20mm by removeing the 15mm adapters?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very nice! looks like they are out of whatever size 2007 - 2009 pro carbon/s-works frame you have. So the spec front hub works as a 20mm by removeing the 15mm adapters?
    TEvans ... not sure if your question was directed to me ... so just in case, I was referring to a Stumpjumper (ProCarb 08), which came with a 9 and 10 mm RWS thru axle (F/R). In 2011's, most SJ are coming with 9 and 10 standard QR ... so I didn't have to play with end caps at all.

But Yeah, it's cool that they were out of 08 and 09 models ... I totally love the 2011 SJ version. (much stiffer rear triangle, plus pressfit BB).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I purchased an 08 enduro expert 1.5 yrs ago. I have had issues with both front and rear suspension, both were warrantied and the only costs were shipping and labour. Then last week my rear triangle cracked at the weld while on an XC ride. I sent it in, it wont be warrantied as the warranty for the rear triangle in only 1 year.
    Heres the options im given
    -180 for new triangle
    -300 for new triangle with bearings etc
    -620 for new frame.

Im pretty dissappointed given the short time ive riden the bike, the lost riding time for repair on specialized parts, and the fact that the rear triangle on my rocky mountain DH bike has a 3 year warranty. Seems kind of odd.

dirt visionary
    Nothing odd about that. If you had read your info prior to purchase you would have seen that the rear end is part of the suspension and only warrantied for a year Those prices they gave you are IMO excellent.

I have over 3 years on my sxtrail and I finally cracked my frame. I was given the option of either an enduro evo frame or a 2011 sxtrail frame.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    i snapped my 2010 s works 29er hardtail on July 2. I am still waiting for a 2012 replacement frame. I have been told sometime in Sept. We will see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gdoan View Post
    So I purchased an 08 enduro expert 1.5 yrs ago. I have had issues with both front and rear suspension, both were warrantied and the only costs were shipping and labour. Then last week my rear triangle cracked at the weld while on an XC ride. I sent it in, it wont be warrantied as the warranty for the rear triangle in only 1 year.
    Heres the options im given
    -180 for new triangle
    -300 for new triangle with bearings etc
    -620 for new frame.

Im pretty dissappointed given the short time ive riden the bike, the lost riding time for repair on specialized parts, and the fact that the rear triangle on my rocky mountain DH bike has a 3 year warranty. Seems kind of odd.

So just an update for some of you can see what you might get if your in this situation. So they sent in black seat stays for my Ti Pab enduro. 300 plus tax and 80$ labour. so 420$ total (canada). The bike kinda looks like **** now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need Help Locating Part ASAP

Speaking of repairs, I'm on the verge of purchasing a 1999 FSR XC Comp that has a minor crack in the rear suspension - not sure what the piece is called but I would venture to guess it's a swing-arm. Anyway, while this pic is not of my bike, I sent it to the current owner of the bike and he was nice enough to point out where the crack is located.

My guess is that a 12 year old bike is not going to be under any warranty at this point, but can anyone help me locate this part? Any information on this part would be greatly appreciated. Are cracks in this part of the swing arm a common occurrence? Does anyone have a spare they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? Does anyone know the actual part # for that matter?

I would have started a new thread for this question but I'm new to the forum and I have not yet posted my five required posts. Anyway, ANY help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your warranty & crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-specialized-crack.jpeg  

dirt visionary
    I wouldn't bother parts will be very hard to come by and IMO that frame isn't worth 100 bucks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cracking of the swingarms seemed to be a pretty big issue in the 1999 FSR's. Here is a link I found detailing numerous issues with that component (had to delete it)

From reading the thread, it seems that the 2000 swingarm components corrected this issue. That being said, you'd think they'd have a bunch in stock or they'd at least be in circulation via ebay, craigslist, etc.

Out of curiosity, why do you think this frame is not worth $100? By the way, the seller is selling the entire bike, not just the frame.

dirt visionary
    your talking about a 12year old bike.Hell they have a hard time keeping spares for bikes over a year old...... Complete depending on specs maybe 400 but seriously though its old and outdated . I see 03-04 enduros selling complete with decent parts for around 700 05-07 around 1200max. I have sold and seen many 04 enduros for 300 or less.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't know where you found an enduro for 300 or less but if you know, please do tell!

dirt visionary
    I had 2 of them an 04 pro which never sold complet for 800 so I sold frame only with rp23 for 300 and that took a month or so to sell. Also had a 04 sx for my daughterwhich is the same bike just beefier and different geo with a rp23 also and only got 250 for it and it was up for sale for a few months. I see completesin my local craigslist for cheap all the time with the occasional person who thinks they have a gold mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    With respect to the 1999 FSR Comp, is it just that the frame is old or is the technology outdated in your opinion? A lime green one is on ebay right now going for $450 plus $75 shipping. Mind you, it's in very good condition but it seems like the older FSR's are still retaining their value. Every so often, I've come across one on craigslist that is dirt cheap but these seem hard to come by. Most seem to go in the 400 to 600 range from what I can tell.

I don't know a whole lot about the Enduro. I'll be honest. Is this a huge upgrade over the older ('99 and 2000) FSR's?

dirt visionary
    Both ...Not so much the fsr design in general but it has been seriously refined since then. Yes then 04+ enduro is a much nice bike than the older basic fsr. The shocks are also worlds different however you could put a newer shock on the older fsr but then by that time you might as well found an 04+ for updated geo and better shock by a long shot. JMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Clockwork, the owner updated the front shocks to Rock shox Sid Hydra Air in the front and a Fox float r on the back. I don't know a whole lot about them though. Maybe you have a better idea of their worth, quality.

dirt visionary
    They are upgrades but old upgrades at least the fork is . If you ever have issues with either you may be out of luck .

Also just searched on the bay for it couldn't find it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The bike I'm looking at isn't on ebay. The green one that just sold was though. Same model but a different seller.

dirt visionary
    Well between my LBS and specialized I can't say enough about them or their service. After just shy of 4 years on my sxtrail I cracked it . My replacement has shown up and I am very happy. Also they went out of their way to let me do something I am sure isn't done often or at all so I will not disclose that portion and make a new trend but what they did really does show they are a rider based company who cares about their customers/experiences with specialized bikes

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    If Specialized won't hold up their warranty because i'm not bro-bro with a LBS they just lost a customer forever and the middleman LBS will be dragged through the mud. I can always find a different supplier but they can't find new purchasers so easy.

Go get your free beer someplace else and one day you'll be the victim of your own "relationships" and see how meritorious they are.
    Yeah, but I'll have free beer.

I probably could have responded to this months ago. I can tell Speshy is having a hard time finding new purchasers or maintaining current users.

Here's what I know: Speshy took care of a Brain shock leakage issue for me by sending a brand new replacement after my shop went to bat for me. Their OEM supplied DT Swiss rear hubs have been a little questionable in reliability but because of the "relationship" they are trying to maintain with Speshy, with the help of my shop they have sent me a freehub body, a complete hub, and a rebuild kit, no charge, not even shipping. Specialized didn't even build that part. The same shop went to bat for another client who had a cracked rear triangle on his STEEL '99 Rockhopper frame and Specialized sent a new '10 alloy Rockhopper frame.

Seems like the "relationships" are working out for me and others but hey, if you want to fight it, enjoy switching suppliers every time someone doesn't adhere to your "rights".

mtbr member
    They have warranteed all the frames I've broken or cracked. But that was in the old steel days. Still, based on their track record I WILL buy from them again someday!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here's a question for you all. I'm buying a 2002 Enduro - the same models that a recall was issued for due to an issue with the seatstay breaking. I know at the time, Specialized sent out a component to correct the problem.

I don't know if the owner ever replaced this part with the addition. If not, does anyone think I'd have any luck getting Specialized to send me it now or am I screwed since I'm not the original owner and the bike is no longer under warranty?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

I probably could have responded to this months ago. I can tell Speshy is having a hard time finding new purchasers or maintaining current users.

Here's what I know: Speshy took care of a Brain shock leakage issue for me by sending a brand new replacement after my shop went to bat for me. Their OEM supplied DT Swiss rear hubs have been a little questionable in reliability but because of the "relationship" they are trying to maintain with Speshy, with the help of my shop they have sent me a freehub body, a complete hub, and a rebuild kit, no charge, not even shipping. Specialized didn't even build that part. The same shop went to bat for another client who had a cracked rear triangle on his STEEL '99 Rockhopper frame and Specialized sent a new '10 alloy Rockhopper frame.

Seems like the "relationships" are working out for me and others but hey, if you want to fight it, enjoy switching suppliers every time someone doesn't adhere to your "rights".

Im glad things have been so fortunate for you. And its good to be loyal to your LBS no doubt. Being a student its hard to build up these brownie points with the LBS as I try to minimize any purchases I have to make. So I find this preferential treatment by Spec to be ********. Especially that rockhopper story. Im comparing that to my recent crack of an 08 enduros rear triangle, less than 2 yrs old, which put me in the whole 420$ and left me with a different color seat stay than the frame.
    One ugly bike now man.
    I find this preferential treatment very frustrating. I know the worlds not fair, but Specialized is creating an inconsistent image for themselves as more and more contrasting stories are told.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

Hah, you won't get beer out of me... maybe a case of coke if something really outstanding is done. In the mean time i'm PAYING you todo the work and really that ought to be enough for you to take some responsibility - don't be offended by that, I'm just not interested in dating you or the rep and buying you guys drinks in order to get my fair shake at a warranty claim.

If the LBS has to "push" hard for a warranty to work I wonder what the hell is going on, who is milking who. Is specy losing customers because bikeshops expect free beer? That is what the other poster sounds like.

YES - Of course I want to fight it, because i'm not your dream customer relationship who upon hearing the manufacturer fails to uphold their end then proceeds to roll-over dead while spilling their beer cans and Benjamins allover the shop floor.

mtbr member

Smile Good service

First I had a chain stay snap on the drive on my S-Works FSR Stumpy and the entire rear triangle was replaced in 2 days. Second my brain shock system started knocking so I took it into my LBS and it sat for a month but Specialized ended up giving me an entire new brain and shock system. So far they have taken very good care of me and I will continue to buy from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just recently bought a replacement chainstay for my 2005 Sworks Enduro, I'm not the original owner so I had to buy one. They had it in stock though, to my amazement. I've gotten dicked over by haro and titus in the past on frame replacement.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a chain stay snap on the drive on my 2010 Rockhopper sl still waiting to see what they say.

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    I have a 2008 SJ Pro carbon that started creaking and I found what looked like a crack at the seat tube/bottom bracket. Took it to my LBS, they thought it was cracked then called and said they thought it was just the paint and creaking could be bearings, I found the bearings were rough so replaced them all with enduro bearings but still creaking. Visited Specialized after my race at the sea otter and was told to have the shop call warranty, all was going good until I heard what they had to offer. According to the warranty rep (via LBS employee), they only thing they have for warranty is size large 2011 SJ Pro carbon's which sounds good but thanks to the enhancements in the frame I can't use my recently replaced drive train or my rebuilt fork (travel is only 120mm and color doesn't match), I asked about upgrading and was offered the crash discount which is 25% off the cost of a new bike which is hardly a good deal since this one was $5500. So much for the upgrade to a full carbon 2012 SJ FSR sworks...

Wish I could report they were taking care of me on the replacement, a s-works and an option to purchase the matching fork would have been nice. I am going to make some noise to see what they will do. I have had many bikes from Specialized but may just take the frame and put it for sale as I can get a Giant Anthem 29er through a rep for the price of the crash discounted 2012 SJ Expert Carbon EVO 26".

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi mjbenz,

The exact same thing happened to my SJ 2008 Pro. Specialized replaced the frame and fork under warranty with a SJ Pro 2011. They also provided the appropriate adapter to make my Shimano XT 770 cranks work with the frame. I have heard of others getting a fork as well. I think you should follow up with Specialized. Good luck.

dirt visionary
    Its been 1 year on the rear forever nothing new.

mtbr member
    Whats up with S only giving 1 year warranty on Dually rear triangles now? Giant still offers FULL frame warranty on their XC FS range.

Ive got an S Works Epic Carbon and its over a year old. I bought it thinking it had Specialized's 'awesome lifetime frame warranty'.

Its been a great bike but when it eventually cracks, Im gonna be walk'n..

mtbr member
    I looked it up. You're right.

mtbr member
    Don't show the warranty dept this photo.

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    I contacted the sales rep for my LBS, I worked with him in the past on an issue with shoes, he hooked me up so will see what he can do. I am hoping for an uplift to the s-works. If they provide the fork and BB adapter I would be a very happy man but lets see what he can get me. The rep also clarified the crash warranty is 50% off what is listed on the specialized website.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Specialized warranty service sucks. They find the way to let you down.

<100%
    Never had a bad experience. Example 2009 Enduro - broken seat stay. Took it to LBS, 5 days later, new seat stay at LBS. Be kind to your LBS. They are your advocate when things go wrong.

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    Specialized replaced my 2009 SJ Pro Carbon with a 2011 Pro Carbon, they weren't going to provide a new fork but I pushed them on the fact the 2009 is a shorter fork so they gave me a 2012 Future Fork 140TA but forgot to include the low to high bearing adapter so things didn't work the first time around. I tried working an upgrade but they only had the 2011 Pro Carbon in warranty so no luck and they wouldn't include the bottom bracket, took a while to figure out what was needed as the carbon models use different BB then the aluminum and non of the shops seemed to know, they all thought I needed a PF30.

In short I am happy with the new ride, the gold and black look really nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The rear hub disintegrated on my 2012 Carbon Hardtail. Specialized is sending my LBS a new wheel under warranty. Case closed. End of discussion. Next question.

Took no effort on my part. My LBS called and arranged it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by khartle View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't hold it against Specialized or think less of them if they didn't warranty your 14-year-old frame. I mean...come on...really? Nothing lasts forever. Additionally, how do they know you are the original owner and didn't pick it up at a yard sale for twenty bucks? I saw an ancient Stumpy for around that last week but didn't have any cash on me or I would have bought it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a 2011 specialized that I bought second hand. I don't have a receipt or know what store it was purchased from.

However the rear hub can hardly turn and feels like there has been sandpaper used instead of sealed bearings. Do I have any hope of walking into my lbs which is a specialized dealer and having the rear hub warrantied?

Please let me know you Canadian/North American experiences without receipts.

Ben-Jammin
    Quote Originally Posted by Natban View Post
    I have a 2011 specialized that I bought second hand. I don't have a receipt or know what store it was purchased from.

However the rear hub can hardly turn and feels like there has been sandpaper used instead of sealed bearings. Do I have any hope of walking into my lbs which is a specialized dealer and having the rear hub warrantied?

Please let me know you Canadian/North American experiences without receipts.
    You purchased the bike second hand, so your bike is no longer under warranty.

And I'm out.
    Specialized also doesn't make hubs... so it's not likely that it would be warranteeed anyway.... but Call your LBS and ask them to call Spesh Canada or World HQ in the states and see if they have anything lying around that you might get for cheap

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had a good experience.

I broke the seat stay on my 2010 Carbon Epic Expert last year. I bought the bike in NYC, but recently had moved to CO, so I took it to a random Specialized dealer.

Specialized sent out a new seat stay and paid the shop to do the work. It cost me $0 at a shop I had never bought anything from before. They didn't have the original white color, so called me up to check it black was ok. It actually looks better now / more stealth

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm really dissapointed with Specialized.

Bought a 2006 Sworks HT frame (aluminum polished raw). Great bike, by the way. The last year I noticed that under the transparent coating of the frame there were some areas like white bubbles under the surface. Those "bubbles" appeared on different points of the frame (around the bottom bracket area, over the top tube around the cable holders, around the bottle cage holder screws, in the rear end tubes, and so on). The paint started to fall apart, and the frame looks like if it was with infected with some kind of malicious virus. (I must point out that my bycicles are carefully cleaned at least every week)

I wrote to the Specialized distributor with photos attached, then sent the information they required regarding the purchase of the frame and then was told to wait for Specialized answer. The answer finally came from a person of the Global Customer Service and said: "'Paint and finish are only covered for one year. This looks like this frame has been left out in a salty environment''
    Eric Rasmussen
    Global Customer Service
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Now, of course I just want to sell the frame but before I must spend some extra money on painting the defective thing. It's important to mention that I know an exact case like mine (same frame, same defect) whose frame was warranteed.
    Just wanted to share my frustration because it's the first bike (after 9 bikes owned) that shows this kind of problem, and also was the first top of the line frame I owned, but also the worst of them all, and the response of Specialized just make me realize that as a customer you just nedd to be lucky. They don't stand by after their products. After all we are talking about mountain bikes; if your product is not made to stand the outdoor use don't sell it or at least donīt advertise it like that.

mtbr member
    Who really cares if its bubbling a bit bro. It doesnt affect the performance of the bike. We all ride S-Works for performance vs cosmetic. Ive got an S-Works epic and the carbon is fading from the sun but I don't care cos the performance is still there.

Get out and ride more. If you want a warranty you gotta EARN it lol! High watts per kg strength efforts up the local goat tracks or big touring miles man. None of this cosmetic wu wu nonsense.

Besides, getting warranty for cosmetic is a waste of resources. We all ride to make the world a better place. Getting warranty when we don't even deserve it is a waste man. Think about it. Now get out there and HAMMER!
    My channel on cycling tips
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ctfucycling

mtbr member

Da Best!!

I had a 2008 S-works Epic in for a tune at DNA in Avondale Az. cracked at seat tube/ top tube. (didn't know) Replaced NO QUESTIONS with a 2010 frame and shock. Problem found on a Weds. New frame Monday.

Spechy service warranty policy is without question the best.

I have a friend who rides a Blur, he CONSTANTLY replaces pivot bushings, he say's it's like pulling teeth just BUY them.

Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Do you have a photo of the crack? Ive never heard of a carbon epic cracking under warranty. Ive seen one snap in half after hitting a tree at high speed but thats it.

Did it crack back in 2010?
    My channel on cycling tips
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ctfucycling

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arag60 View Post
    I'm really dissapointed with Specialized.

Bought a 2006 Sworks HT frame (aluminum polished raw). Great bike, by the way. The last year I noticed that under the transparent coating of the frame there were some areas like white bubbles under the surface. Those "bubbles" appeared on different points of the frame (around the bottom bracket area, over the top tube around the cable holders, around the bottle cage holder screws, in the rear end tubes, and so on). The paint started to fall apart, and the frame looks like if it was with infected with some kind of malicious virus. (I must point out that my bycicles are carefully cleaned at least every week)

I wrote to the Specialized distributor with photos attached, then sent the information they required regarding the purchase of the frame and then was told to wait for Specialized answer. The answer finally came from a person of the Global Customer Service and said: "'Paint and finish are only covered for one year. This looks like this frame has been left out in a salty environment''
    Eric Rasmussen
    Global Customer Service
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Now, of course I just want to sell the frame but before I must spend some extra money on painting the defective thing. It's important to mention that I know an exact case like mine (same frame, same defect) whose frame was warranteed.
    Just wanted to share my frustration because it's the first bike (after 9 bikes owned) that shows this kind of problem, and also was the first top of the line frame I owned, but also the worst of them all, and the response of Specialized just make me realize that as a customer you just nedd to be lucky. They don't stand by after their products. After all we are talking about mountain bikes; if your product is not made to stand the outdoor use don't sell it or at least donīt advertise it like that.
    You serious? A 6-year old bike with worn paint and you want Spec to bail you out? Sounds to me that you need to get some perspective...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

moved

moved
    Last edited by pseguin; 12-20-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: moving to the main thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2010 S-works Epic Warranty

First off I really love my 2010 Epic but I am starting to lose faith in their customer services.
    -I did send my frame (2010 S-works Epic 26") back in September for them to inspect. A crack that was starting to develop where the for the seat post insert keyhole slot thing is.
    -3 Weeks ago Specialized send back a 2011 refurbished s-works Epic frame.
    - The rear triangle is from a black frame and the front triangle is from a white frame.
    - I don't care that the frame is chip already and that it is not new. But, I am not impress that I have to tell them about the following compatibility issues and missing parts.

-Compatibility issues / missing parts:

1 Missing Rear Fox/Specialized Suspension. 2010-2011 are different. Needs a 2011 187x47mm.
    2 Missing Specialized E100 FutureShock Medium. Said 2011 on the box but was actually a 2010 sent. Incompatible interface Fork-Frame: 2010 High Crown position Frame and 2011 Low Crown position. 2011 needs a 2011 e100 medium or a (USA)2012 custom Sid w-cup). See FSR Owner Manual page: 4.
    3 Crankset Specialized S-Works : 2010 is oversized BB shell 84.5mm and 2011 needs OSBB shell PF BB30 73x46mm. See FSR Owner Manual.
    4 Rear Roval Wheels needs two(2) DT-Swiss Rear 142mm axle and end cap conversion kit (HWYXXX0002877C). No need to replace complete rear wheels.
    5 Front Derailleur: 2010 uses S1 type and 2011 uses S3 type. FSR Owner Manual page:11 says Sram DMD FR derailleur: No adapter needed. Choose the derailleur based on the desired chain ring size. Epic uses S3 type. In this case, it would be S3-39.
    6 Missing S-works Seat post: 2010 uses 350mm and 2011 uses 400mm. since the 2011 frame is smaller it is recommended to use 400m to have the minimum insertion.
    7 Missing thru-axle bolt on frame.
    8 Missing chain guard on frame.
    9 Missing headset.

Note: 1-2-6-7-8-9 are usually included when you buy a frame or frameset from Specialized.

Let me know what you think?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi. Yes, I know itīs a 6 year old frame. But, itīs supposed to be a high end model, a mtb frame. Itīs not supposed to fall apart if you use it. Itīs not a matter of perspective itīs a matter of quality and standing behind the product they sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Blacklite Seatpost warranty A+

Just had a broken collet on my Blacklite dropper seatpost, brought it in to the shop, they sent it out, and voila , all fixed a week and a half later under warranty.

I haven't ever broken a frame. 1) Either I ride very well, or 2) crash very well. Or 3) I am not trying hard enough... I choose the first!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Seat tube crack....

Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_2173.jpgPost your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_2178.jpg

I just brought this into my LBS to send pictures to Spesh....The crack does not go all the way through the seat post tube. It does hoever catch a fingernail when drug across. Making it problematic for moisture, etc.

Any ideas of what they may do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackie View Post
    I just brought this into my LBS to send pictures to Spesh....The crack does not go all the way through the seat post tube. It does hoever catch a fingernail when drug across. Making it problematic for moisture, etc.

Any ideas of what they may do?
    My guess is that they'll replace the frame.

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    I would agree as this crack could result in a complete failure. Even if they don't immediately replace I would push the LBS and local sales rep to push the issue and get it replaced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Based on my personnal experience with Specialized Canada with a very similar crack:
    1- They might tell you that it is only a cosmetic issue related to the clearcoat. (ask them for a written statement that states that your bike is safe to ride)
    2- They might put the blame on you. (wrong seat post, undertighened, overtighten, ...)
    3- They might tell you that it is not warrantied and offer a crash replacement.
    4- They might also promise you a warranty and never actually do it, change their mind.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It looks like a cosmetic issue to me. My Carve has the same issue but the location of the paint chip is on the back side of the seat post. I called my shop, sent them an email and they're getting back to me about my bike. I think its a non-issue though for my problem and yours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Less than 24 hours after I brought into my LBS, they informed me that Speshy is sending a new SL4 Pro frame.

That's why I ride 'em!

mtbr member

should this be covered under warranty?

So I bought a 2012 enduro sworks off craigslist about a month ago and after a ride today I noticed a small crack in the headtube about an inch long and can clearly be felt. My question is should I go throught the guy I bought it from, who was super nice and told me to give him a call if I ever had any problems, but is an hour and a half drive away or just go directly through specialized?Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-20130526_172803.jpg

turtles make me hot
    I'm pretty sure the warranty only applies to the original owner. If he registered it, you need to go through him.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a 2012 specialized S works epic 29 and cracked the rear Roval carbon fiber rim a few months after buying it with the stupid skinny tire bike came with. My own fault as we run low tire pressures here. Knew I should have put a fatter tire on but the ride was so incredible with the skinny renegade that I left it on too long.
    Paid $500 for crash replacement rim and slapped 2.35 nobby nics on and have not ever had a problem.
    Then just before the warranty ran out the rear shock began to fail to hold the correct number of clicks on the rebound damping. A very bumpy ride& it would lose all rebound damping, working its way down to full fast rebound. Specialized covered repair of this in my local bike shop by having the mechanic take it apart and make some sort of adjustment to it. So I have been happy with the customer service.
    Last edited by jmcdev1; 05-27-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Correct grammar

There's always next year.
    The Brain fade dial stopped turning a month or so after buying my Epic Carbon Comp. Took it into the shop Sunday, had it back on the trail Saturday (was actually ready Friday night). Would have liked for the shop to keep me in the loop like they said they would, but had no issues with the speed of Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantom808 View Post
    So I bought a 2012 enduro sworks off craigslist about a month ago and after a ride today I noticed a small crack in the headtube about an inch long and can clearly be felt. My question is should I go throught the guy I bought it from, who was super nice and told me to give him a call if I ever had any problems, but is an hour and a half drive away or just go directly through specialized?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130526_172803.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	802848
    Go through the original owner, if not you will have to pay a certain amount for a frame replacement.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just cracked a chainstay on an '06 Spesh EPIC Comp Disc. It failed right at the weld near the bottom bracket, similar to a number of other people's.

I'm still stuck trying to understand what the point is of a lifetime frame warranty where the rear triangle is only covered for a year. This seems somewhat standard in the industry now so I understand that it's not just Spesh. But that doesn't justify it for my thinking.

From an engineering perspective I don't see why they can't simply design the rear triangles to hold up better. Sure, there are parts that just wear out, like the bearings and shocks in the suspension. But the dynamic forces in a properly designed full suspension bike are significantly reduced over that of a rigid frame, so it should last longer and be less susceptible to failure than a rigid frame, not worse. With current mechanical computer aided design software, engineers are able to very accurately predict the lifetime of frames, taking into account the stress/strain curves of the material, number of fatigue cycles and so forth.

I'm surprised that the market has tolerated this new standard in warranties. My LBS is doing absolutely nothing for me other than charge me full price for the part and full price for labor to install it. Since there are so few Spech shops around I'm not sure it's even worth approaching another shop to see if I can get a better treatment.

I realize there are a wide range of views on this subject and this is just my perspective.

Any suggestions for how I deal with getting a new chain stay are very welcome.

Thanks

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    I would press your LBS to work with Specialized to get you the crash discount. When I cracked my SJ FSR they replaced it and offered me the crash discount when I asked about upgrading to a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cracked frame

I don't own a mountain bike but it's good to hear the out come of what has been posted on here. I have a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Expert road bike. Last week durring my morning ride I noticed some odd clicking and popping sounds. When I got back home I checked things out and found a small crack where the chain stay and seat stay come together. I took the bike back to my LBS and they varified the crack and took pictures of the location and of the crack. They submitted the pictures to Specialized. The claim was started on Thursday of last week just before Specialized quiting time so imagine the claim wasn't looked at until the next bussiness day or even Monday. I will make another post of what came of my claim when I hear from my LBS.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    i discovered a crack in the chainstay on my 2011 Stumpy FSR. Ruined a couple day riding vacation. No obvious signs of trauma.

Took it into the shop. They said that Spec considers the rear triangle parts part of the suspension and so only get a 1 year warranty. Sounds like the fix is going to be a couple hundred bucks (still waiting for the work to get done).

It really blows that if you buy a relatively cheap HT and crack a stay you get a whole new frame. But if you've spent for a high end FS you get screwed on what would be a much cheaper warranty repair for them.

For sure I've purchased my last Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just be wary... "lifetime warranty" does not necessarily mean "your" lifetime. They spin it to mean the lifetime of the frame, which really says nothing. They could make all sorts of reasons against a claim. "aluminum lifespan/fatigue, suspension parts, accepted wear and tear" - that being said, I've had nothing but great experience with them, but I think a LOT of it boils down to your LBS' relationship with Specialized and their personnel.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    i discovered a crack in the chainstay on my 2011 Stumpy FSR. Ruined a couple day riding vacation. No obvious signs of trauma.

Took it into the shop. They said that Spec considers the rear triangle parts part of the suspension and so only get a 1 year warranty. Sounds like the fix is going to be a couple hundred bucks (still waiting for the work to get done).

It really blows that if you buy a relatively cheap HT and crack a stay you get a whole new frame. But if you've spent for a high end FS you get screwed on what would be a much cheaper warranty repair for them.

For sure I've purchased my last Specialized.

Well, the repair got finished. About a week of down time and a $230 bill.

The new chain stay doesn't have near the paint quality of the rest of the bike. Looks like a cheap spray can job.

I'm way way OFF the specialized train at this point. To bad cause I really like the guys at the Spesh shop.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Well, the repair got finished. About a week of down time and a $230 bill.

The new chain stay doesn't have near the paint quality of the rest of the bike. Looks like a cheap spray can job.

I'm way way OFF the specialized train at this point. To bad cause I really like the guys at the Spesh shop.
    I bought a new Epic in 2011. I read the warranty. I understood that the rear triangle (carbon in my case) was excluded after a year. I still bought because I have found that Spec is stellar in covering all my previous warranty claims. But that if the stays fail, I would have to fund a replacement.

I take it that you purchased a new bike and didn't read the warranty?

And that you expect that your $230 cost of a replacement stay (fitted) buys you a stay spray painted to the colour of your choice?

Seriously???

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I was aware of the 1 year warranty on suspension parts.
    I was also aware of the lifetime warranty on the frame.
    I was not aware that Specialized had made the highly irregular and not at all logical determination that the rear triangle members are suspension parts.

Real suspension parts like shocks and forks have moving parts, wear surfaces, seals, etc. You expect them to require maintenance, wear out, and have a limited lifespan; something less than a lifetime warranty is eminently reasonable. Is it your contention that Specialized designed the rear triangle members to have a lifespan less than the "frame".

I suppose that by that same logic Specialized should determine that the front part of the frame is also a suspension part since it attaches to the fork. That would sure cut down on their warranty claims.

Also, its worth pointing out that this was not a member which was damaged. This stay flat pulled apart. Either the design or the metallurgy was insufficient to task. An inadequate design or manufacturers error is straight up, bread and butter warranty.

Can you name another manufacturer that also has this strange take on what is a suspension part?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    My LBS made it clear to me that the suspension, as far as Spec was concerned, included the rear triangle (and as mine was all carbon, I had more reason to be concerned that you did). Clearly your LBS didn't. Can't blame Spec for that. Caveat emptor.

FWIW, Spec has previously warrantied for my 2009 Epic Marathon a complete frame, and separately forks and rear shock. And the 2011 Avid XX brakes on my 2011 SW Epic. IMO, they have been outstanding in their commitment to the product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    1999 Specialized FSR. Cracked the rear triangle this year, and after days and days of searching for the orginal receipt (per the BS dealer requirement) which was finally found the dealer and Specialized both let me know that the rear triangle isn't considered part of the frame and therefore not covered under their lifetime warranty! They no longer sell the part and the bike is basically junk. I'm not happy at all, and would caution anyone the lifetime warranty with Specialized doesn't cover everything.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Given it's 14 years old, it wouldn't be too unhappy. And your bike isn't junk actually. Just take it to a good engineering shop and get them to re-weld the crack. Cost you $50 tops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Same thing happened to me. LBS treated me like it wasn't worth their time since it was an older bike, and calling Specialized directly didn't get anything more than the rear triangle "isn't part of the frame" and therefore isn't part of the lifetime warranty. My bike was hand build by myself, very lovingly cared for, and frankly hasn't been ridden much in years but I'm now stuck with an unrideable bike with old 9 speed XTR components, and v-brakes. Specialized and LBS gave me no solutions and nothing but a "too bad". I bought that bike in college and dropped thousands of dollars I didn't have into that bike. For year it was the single most expensive thing I owned, and now it's junk. The only thing I was offerred was a 20% crash discount on a new bike.

Specialized should stand by their products! They designed it. The equivalent replacement bike from spec is $7,000-$10,000?! As a casual rider who likes nice stuff even if I did drop that kind of insane money for a new Spec I would question spending that kind of money on something that 10 years from now would have some mundane part break that renders the bike unusable and leaves the LBS & Spec treating me like a grandpa wanting to get my bike fixed who isn't riding the coolest bike with the latest paint job and isn't worth their time.

Very disappointed in Specialized!!!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    simple solution - get it welded up. Not hard.

As for your points of "lifetime warranty" - I'm struggling to understand your disappointment that there are exclusions? Your frame is STILL covered. You won't get the same frame, but a more modern frame - as many on this thread have attested.

Anyway, have you ever tried to get a car warranty honored without both parties looking carefully at the contract (let alone that you'd be laughed at for anything over 5 years old anyway). Ditto motorbike, boat etc etc.

The other point I hate to break to you is that due to age and technology, your bike is worth nothing. You'd probably have to pay someone to take it away. Get over it.

Michael Benz
    Jun 2009
    Ask them about the crash discount, think it is something like 10% over cost. When I cracked my frame the offered to replace and when I asked about going to a 29er they offered the crash discount price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sounds like the kind of lifetime warranty you get from a crooked used car dealer. It's not like I'm talking about a strange exception with the rear triangle, and I what reputable company sells to the public a "lifetime warranty" on the frame but then throws in the you didn't read the small print. As the frame doesn't work without the rear triangle, and it holds on the rear wheel I would argue that's part of the frame.

I'm not opposed to reasonable exceptions. Reasonable exceptions... one owner... check... misuse or care... not applicable... crashing it... not applicable..years and year of use... sadly it probably has less than 4000 miles on it in the last 14 years. The crack appeared on an area of the triangle that doesn't have a scratch. Just frankly a failure in design or manufacturing.

Understood on the what the current value of the components are, but I worked at a shop during college and made a habit of destroying bike geeks on the trails with dated and old technology bikes until I had enough money saved to buy that bike. Granted I've been out of the industry for 14 or so years, but please do tell me what's so dated about a my King headset? What's the big improvement shifters/derailers (another cog in the rear?) Do you no longer use cranks on this new technology or are my raceface cranks so dated they no longer make the bike move forward? Do they use lazer beams instead of chains? Ohh maybe it's the 26" wheel handbuilt wheel set that obviously don't turn unless they're 29 inches. Come on!

I'll consent that the disc brakes would be nicer, and I would have to imagine the shock technology is much better these days but i ride xc in the Midwest and 14 years ago I bought everything top of the line and would suggest if your seriously think a top of the line bike from 1999 is so old and dated that it's unridable that you clearly don't know how to ride. Go ahead and drop $10,000 on the new s-works, and let me know in 10 years how you feel about your investement, going to Bubba's back door welders to fix your $10,000 old and dated bike, and Spec and LBS treating you like your 10 year old bike isn't worth talking about and let me know how you feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Crash discount was 20%, which I would do, but the new frames don't accept all my old components. Due almost solely to compatiblity issues it pretty much renders all of existing components as you put it "junk".

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I really don't understand the points you are trying to make.

1) The warranty contract has exclusions. They were not put there after you bought the bike, they were there when you purchased. You didn't read them and purchased anyway. And now, 14 years later, you are sorry???

2) Regardless of how fast you are on your bike, and how little the technology might have improved, your bike is junk as far as market value is concerned. For an insurance company it would have no replacement value. The fact that you have only 4,000 miles on it over 14 years says more about you than the bike.

And yes, I have bought a new SW Epic bike, and read the exclusions, and know that if I break a carbon stay I will have to buy a replacement one from Spec because it isn't covered in the 5 year frame warranty. And accept that it is worth a fraction of what I paid for it 2 years ago. But I bought new because I wanted a Specialized warranty because, in my direct experience, they have always stood behind me with their products.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Upset

4000 miles on the FSR... City living with a hard tail single speed (really dated technology), and a road bike.

I worked at a Spec shop for years back in the day, and bought a that spec new myself for, at the time, was a company that I thought stood behind their lifetime warranty which is why I bought new myself. I'm more than painfully aware of how little value bike stuff has sitting in a garage for years, and agree with you whole heartedly that the actual value of my components outside of the frame is next to nill. Even it were in showroom condition it wouldn't be worth much which is exactly why I bought from what I thought was the best manufacturer with the best waranty that stands behind their products.

I'm glad they've taken care of you, but if i buy spec again I personally won't be giving a whole lot of value towards the waranty.

Maybe I'm salty at the 100 dollar "warranty evaluation charge" from the lbs, but bottom line even if I accept the triangle as not being part of the frame spec has chosen not to support their older high end bikes and don't even sell the rear triangle anymore. They should support their high end products!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    you didn't ride it then & you wont ride it even if you get it fixed.

get over it
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Allez
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

At first I was like
    Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_0272-1.jpg

And then I was like
    Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_20130814_221723_945.jpg

And then I was like
    Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_20130824_165032_667.jpg

mtbr member
    I am actually going through a triangle warranty replacement on my Camber Comp. Not sure how the process is going other than my local bike shop told me Specialized is going to warranty it so for now that is great news. Awaiting on the parts and the replacement and will post on my experience once it's completed. For now I am very happy with my local shop (I did not buy the bike from them) and their service and assure them my next bike will come from their shop. I have my backup, Stumpjumper (purchased from them), also in being serviced due to a rear brake issue so no riding for this old man. Hopefully this weekend after Emo-Fest in Franklin.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here's my story

I'm a cheapskate, but I love nice bikes, particularly Specialized. I always try to buy used, as paying full price is just too much for me to justify. I've been riding a used 2011 Roubaix Elite Apex, that I've upgraded with mostly used components to get it just the way I want.

Anyways, I'd been coveting a full suspension MTB for a long time, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money (thinking around $1000). After looking at used Stumpjumpers, Epics, and Cambers, it became clear to me that I needed to raise my budget. I also decided that I wanted to do things right the first time and I knew that I wanted a 29er and Sram components (personal pref).

So the time became right when I found a used 2013 Camber Comp for $1650+ship. I pulled the trigger and justified the purchase a birthday present to myself =) The bike was a rental, and was described as having only 20 hours on it.

At first everything with the bike seemed fine, only later did I find out that the gray auto-sag knob on the rear shock was broken =( I could still use it, but I'd have to push the interior of the valve with a tack to release the pressure.

I really couldn't complain too much, I basically got the bike for a thousand off of list price. I thought I'd hold out with the minor annoyance until the shock was ready for a complete overhaul in maybe a year, and get it fixed then.

Out of curiosity I decided to call my local LBS, and ask how much it would be to have it serviced/fixed, so I'd be ready for it. I explained to them that I bought the bike second hand, and that I knew there was no warranty. They estimated maybe around $150. I was fine with this, and chalked it up to the risks of buying used.

A few minutes later I get a return call saying that a new shock is on it's way! I reminded him that I bought it used, and he said that Specialized was going to fix it anyways.

Obviously, I'm very happy with the outcome. As a thank you to the mechanic who took care of it, I bought him a six pack of his favorite beer =)

mtbr member
    A mate of mine has got a ally Epic.8 months after purchase the bike started creaking badly.On inspection by lbs it was noticed that the rear triangle was cracked on one of the welds.Specialized were quick to waranty but the catch was that the replacement triangle was not the same color.He now has a VERY odd looking bike to the point that he want's to have the rear triangle resprayed original color so the bike looks the way it should.Problem is it now costs him money and he is told by Specialized that should he respray then any waranty is void.So at the moment he is a VERY unhappy rider on a odd looking specialized.At the price that specialized is charging nowdays I would expect better service from them.

mtbr member
    New addition. Camber back in shop with bottom bracket issue after having rear triangle warrantied and replaced. Strange clunking noise. I never even got to ride it before it started. Called today by shop owner letting me know it's still not fixed. He replaced whatever they warrantied to no avail so now they are sending an upgrade complete crankset. So another week or so and if this doesn't fix it he said he'll work on warranting the entire bike. That could be a plus if the warranty replacement comes with the same stuff as the bike being replaced. We shall see what happens. Rode a 14 miler at Sewanee on my Stumpy, it has a bottom bracket issue also and it's not that old either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here is my experience. I own a Specialized SJ FSR Evo Expert Carbon 29er. There are some smaller issues but an ongoing discussion with the guys in US since 3 months! Just because the guys in europe are of no use!
    Imagine, if you are moving from one place to another, which can happen to anyone of us, right?! Imagine further that you dealer, where you originally bought your bike is to far away to solve warranty issues and than you are in the same bad situation like I am.
    Hope that someday, somewhen my issues will be solved but I surely cannot recommend Specialized Support, especially the one in Europe!

mtbr member
    Total frame replacement. Should have arrived at bike shop Monday night but I have not heard from them as of yet. I was told my warranty frame would be a 2013 Camber Carbon Pro 29er but can not confirm for sure since I have not heard from the shop. I guess being short does have its advantages since this is the frame that was available in my small size. Red and black crabon color, maybe. I'll post a pic once all is said and done.

mtbr member
    Well got the Camber back today. Yes I did get the 2013 Camber Carbon Pro frame in red and black. Also got the following upgrades:

TRUVATIV X9 10-Speed Crankset | SRAM

FLOAT CTD Boost Valve Remote Bike Shock | FOX (2013 model)

Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_1426.jpg

I will replace the white fenders eventually (I may try painting them red). Specialize outdid themselves in this warranty as far as I am concerned. Only issue, this bike weights 29.4 lbs and the comp weighed 28, so the carbon fiber frame is either heavier than aluminum alloy or the new stuff is heavier. Either way I am quite happy with my new ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-img_1420.jpg  

Last edited by sgtjim57; 10-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I blew out my '13 Reba on my Carve Expert earlier this year. LBS sent Rockshox the fork back and they rebuilt it under warranty. Less than 50 miles later it blew out again. Rockshox replaced it with a Sid under warranty.

Not Specialized warranty, per se... but I haven't had the need for a frame warranty on any of the three hardtails(Hardrock, Myka, and Carve) I have in my house.

The Hutch
    Do you think this is a carbon frame crack or a paint crack ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your warranty &amp; crash replacement experience with Specialzed!-image.jpg  

follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    I have the same crack on my 2011 Epic Expert 29er. On the opposite side. Specialized wouldn't warranty it. They said it was dirt in the clear cote even though you could run you finger nail across it and feel the crack. They advised me to continue to ride it to see if there was any change. Over a period of 2 weeks the crack got larger (longer and wider). They still wont warranty the frame. I have removed the crank/PF30 cups and bearings. Myself along with the bike shop inspected it and said it was iffy. No apparent damage internally. Contact your Specialized dealer and see what they can do. My dealer has a good reputation with Specialized and does a ton of business for them. Still the best they could do is get me 20% off a new frame. So far the crack has stayed the same. No odd sounds when hammering on the crank or if you do the coin test. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look at my post #187 above, I had a crack in the same spot.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Look at my post #187 above, I had a crack in the same spot.
    I'm going to contact my LBS for warranty about the crack this week. I will update
    Last edited by rob1208lv; 03-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my S-Works Epic frame from 2012 warrantied. LBS gave me a 2014 S-Works frame PLUS the new fork. I had a small crack below the seat clamp. Very happy with the reaction and service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8