A phone call from Mike Sinyard & Mike McAndews- Mtbr.com
    The Other Dude

A phone call from Mike Sinyard & Mike McAndews

Well, i am sure that most of you guys were aware of my 07 Epic Marathon situation a few months ago. Well things eventually got cleared up, and different people had different reactions to how things were handled, how long it took, and what not.

Well after the work day was over here, i hoped on onto my 06 Epic and hit the single track with my Niterider HID strapped to my head. It was a great time, and the weather was not too bad for this time of year.

Well i got back home and was relaxing, when the phone rang. I noticed Specialized Bicycles came up on the caller ID. I was confused at first , but then after thinking for a split second, and remembering that i just signed up for the Specialized Riders Club, i thought it was someone calling to confirm something, or to check on the order.......WAS I WRONG.. ...It was Mike Sinyard! He introduced himself, and was totally caught by surprise....can you say "Cat got your tongue!" Even more of a surprise was when he asked if it was ok to put me onto speaker phone, and then Mike McAndrews was there too!

I sent a letter to both of them a couple weeks back, and they were calling in response to the letter. The letter was about 5 pages long, and i put some pictures in there for them also. The letter would be hard to summarize, as i am sure those guys would agree. But it covered about of different topics including the shock issue, the first bike (trek) i bought last year, my first year of riding, and how riding and their product have changed my life. If you guys really want to read it, i can post it up here, but i am sure I would probably bore you with my stories.

Anywho, back to the point. I talked with these guys for a good bit of time. They were all really cool, down to earth guys. And for them to take the time out of their day to call me, really meant a lot me, and i think it says a lot about their company. Mike Sinyard started off by saying that he was really embarrassed about how the entire situation was handled, and without getting into details, he said it should have not been handled the way it was, and asked me if i was happy with the bike now. Mick gave me some setup tips for the shock, and also gave me his personal email address......which Mr. Sinyard said only he and Ned Overend usually have access too. Mick said that he was familiar with our "different" rocky, rooty, and wet terrain we have here in the North East, as he used to setup motorcycle suspension out on this side of the country. I may have heard him wrong (again, i am still in awe ) but i thought he mentioned being in contact with me about the shock performance and our conditions here on the east coast. He said feel free to contact him anytime if i have questions, and he will be sure to help me setup the suspension for my needs. Mike Sinyard said his line is also always open if i ever have any questions. These guys were just great, genuine people to talk to (and i am sure they are even better people to ride with!)

Mike Sinyard ended the conversation saying that he wanted to do something to "Wow me" and make me say "Thats Awesome." He asked me if i had any ideas, i have to be honest at this point i am still in awe that i am talking to these people, and the only thing i could blurt out was that i was looking to get a new tarmac comp. As soon as i said, that, he "You want the Tarmac Pro." He said to let him know when i was ready to get the tarmac, or whatever bike i decide to purchase next. As long as they ok with me posting up what happens next, i will be sure to keep you guys updated!

Cheers!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    wow sounds awesome! that's customer service
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

Jun 2005
    you should put this in general.

this is why i like specialized

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by revmonkey
    you should put this in general.

this is why i like specialized
    Good idea, i will
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member

Great Story

Your letter must have been good. Makes me proud to ride my Spec. From all I have read and seen Mike S. is a cool guy and damn good businessman. Thanks for posting-let us know how it goes.

Life is Good
    Geez, almost makes me wish for something to go wrong with my bike and all the subsequent problems getting it fixed

Glad to hear things worked out! Keep us updated!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

The Other Dude
    Well Mike Sinyard sent me out a 07 Tarmac Pro, and it came in the other day. I havent been down to the shop recently (taking advantage of the weather we are having here!) but the owner called and said that its ready, and i am going to pick it up tomorrow.

The owner said I do have to pay for it, but its at huge discount, nothing is final yet i guess, but Specialized asked that I not post the price that i am going to pay for it on the forum. The owner said he didnt even get invoiced for the bike, so he doesnt know for sure what is going on.

I was actually at a new years party, and the owners family just happened to be there also, and we got to talking. He told me that the bike had come in at the party, then he says.........You know you are getting more than the bike right. And i was just like "no." So I am excited to see what else showed up, its like christmas all over again, i will be sure to let you know how Mr. Sinyard and the Big S makes me saw WOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Offering a good discount instead of just giving you a Tarmac to sort of silence you down is a really fair move I must say.

Wuss extraordinare
    I posted this in the general section but I get more and more respect for them each time I read about what Specialized does to keep it's customers!

The Other Dude
    Well, i just got back from the shop. The Tarmac Pro was all built and ready to be picked up. The shop owner fit me up, using the fit kit he got from the Andy Pruitt workshop, and made some adjustments on the bike for me, and sent me out on a test ride. I have never ridden a bike with DuraAce on it before.......Oh how smooth, i was in heaven! The bike road awesome, the carbon frame is just so smooth on the road, and the bike just feels like a rocketship! It felt great, just a few more minor tweaks once i get my new shoes and i will be good to go. Oh yeah, that was the surprise, Specialized is sending me a free pair of Carbon Pro Road shoes! The shop didnt have my size in stock, so he said they should be in on Friday. How about that? A great deal on a bike, and a pair of free shoes?! I have the feeling that Mr. Sinyard is monitoring this post, and to him i just want to say WOW and thanks! Here are some pics of the bike, the carbon weave is simply awesome. I wish the pictures did more justice:

Attached Images Attached Images

1:18
    Now that's a customer service for a guy with such a signature and buying record. Cheers to you and Mikes.

Aug 2005
    i'll say it, too! WOW!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome job Mike! That's why Specialized is the only brand in my small (3) but growing quiver. My daughter just turned 5mos. and I can't wait until she's old enough to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i had Dura-Ace on my old roadie...best feeling shifts ever!
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member

Very cool indeed...

That's a great story!

So without changing the positive tone of this thread I'd be curious to know how this all started...? Is there another thread that those of us out of the loop could read? For the record, Specialized is a great company IMO. I've owned several FSR's, an SWorks roadie and a couple of HT's over the years and currently own a Sirrus. Not to mention many components, tires and helmets...

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    That's a great story!

So without changing the positive tone of this thread I'd be curious to know how this all started...? Is there another thread that those of us out of the loop could read?
    Yup, here it is, its quite a few pages long, and to really understand it, and how everything flowed, you probably want to read all of them, it gets interesting, i started reading it again the other day, and it became like the book that you pick up and cant put down, lol!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=227366

mtbr member

wow

WOW! Sorry that all the things you had to go thru but it sure looks like your still a happy and loyal consumer. Way to stand behind your products big "S".
    That's another reason why I cant seem to buy any other brand of bikes.

Aug 2006
    Jut... didn't you post this same thing a while back :S?

I'm so confused.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Jut... didn't you post this same thing a while back :S?

I'm so confused.

I did about a week or so ago, but i took it off because i didnt know if specialized would approve of the post, and what info if any they didnt want me to post. I erased the post, then contacted them, and they said the only thing they did not want me post is the price i paid for the bike, and just say that i got it at a "discount."

Life is Good
    Wow. Very glad to hear it all worked out for ya Jut.

One more reason why Specialized is the only brand of bike I buy.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Humpmaster general
    [QUOTE=jut8]

what good is that thing? The tires are way too small to ride on the trails
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Yeah, wow is right! All my mountain bikes have been Specialized bikes and their customer service will keep me buying more. When my 00 Enduro broke, they replaced it with an 02 Enduro, no questions. i didn't like it as much as the 00 model, but there wasn't any question that I'd replace it with something besides another Specialized bike.

I've got a Litespeed Ti roadie, but had the Tarmac been out when I got the roadie, I'd probably have gone with the Specialized.

Nice job, Specialized! Even though you're standing behind your product as the right thing to do, you can't buy publicity and word of mouth like this!

The Other Dude
    As if getting the bike wasent enough, they also threw in a pair of their Carbon Pro Riding shoes, and a pair of cold weather gloves..........I cant wait to try them out, its freakin freezing here, and all I have been using is normal gloves....can you say numb fingers!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet news, jut8!

Great final chapter on this adventure!

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Sweet news, jut8!

Great final chapter on this adventure!
    Yes it is, and it has a happy ending

SXtreem now
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Yup, here it is, its quite a few pages long, and to really understand it, and how everything flowed, you probably want to read all of them, it gets interesting, i started reading it again the other day, and it became like the book that you pick up and cant put down, lol!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=227366
    No kidding. I started reading it one day, and before i knew it, 2 hours had gone by

Nov 2006
    You're missing something on your bike. Mike Sinyard & Mike McAndews's autographs! I'd so cherish their autograph. Long live Specialized.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipe
    You're missing something on your bike. Mike Sinyard & Mike McAndews's autographs! I'd so cherish their autograph. Long live Specialized.

That would have been awesome!

... and if we just ...

Speaking about monitoring

The Other Dude
    explain this to me?

Well, the guy works at Spec CS, and maybe he was cust curious about the guy who got phoned from Spec

Aug 2006
    Amazing ending to it. I love the Tarmac (I want one now ) and I love the shoes. A 130 dollar deal in for free. Unbelievable.

The Other Dude
    The Tarmac rides amazing, their full carbon road bikes are awesome, and this thing is just a rocketship! Every little bit of power you input goes right to that rear wheel, its awesome! I had it out for a 45 mile ride the other day around my the area that my parents live (the trails were way to saturated to ride without doing damage to them). It was great. There is a nice long downhill, and i checked my max speed on my garmin edge 305 at the bottom..........51mph(the fastest i have ever been on a road bike before is 44)The Tarmac was solid and smooth the entire way down, no head shake or anything, it just inspired confidence. I love it!

The shoes and gloves were great too, the gloves kept my hands VERY comfortable the entire time, they were my first pair of specialized gloves with the body geometry design. I have alway worn Fox Gel Gloves on my road bikes.......never again will they be worn! Everything just felt "right." The shoes were sweet! The shoes are just freaking awesome, they fit and feel great, and are super stiff. They are everything a $220 road shoe should be.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    The Tarmac rides amazing, their full carbon road bikes are awesome, and this thing is just a rocketship! Every little bit of power you input goes right to that rear wheel, its awesome! I had it out for a 45 mile ride the other day around my the area that my parents live (the trails were way to saturated to ride without doing damage to them). It was great. There is a nice long downhill, and i checked my max speed on my garmin edge 305 at the bottom..........51mph(the fastest i have ever been on a road bike before is 44)The Tarmac was solid and smooth the entire way down, no head shake or anything, it just inspired confidence. I love it!

The shoes and gloves were great too, the gloves kept my hands VERY comfortable the entire time, they were my first pair of specialized gloves with the body geometry design. I have alway worn Fox Gel Gloves on my road bikes.......never again will they be worn! Everything just felt "right." The shoes were sweet! The shoes are just freaking awesome, they fit and feel great, and are super stiff. They are everything a $220 road shoe should be.
    it's everything a $220 road shoe should be... except for being 100 bucks cheaper

Aug 2006
    Wow... 51 mph. That's incredible. The most I've done is 31 mph (on a Mongoose 43 pound .5 inch travel FS)

The Other Dude
    Wow... 51 mph. That's incredible. The most I've done is 31 mph (on a Mongoose 43 pound .5 inch travel FS)
    It was awesome, even though i am sure i was only at the speed for a few seconds, it was freakin sweet. If you do get a Tarmac GoldenRaptor, you will love it, they are just sick road bikes. I had an 05 roubaix elite triple before, and it was really nice, i rode the MS150 on it. But i think this Tarmac fits me a bit better, and just feels like a rocket!

The shop mechanic wants one now, and the owners son (who just purchased a new roubaix pro) is second guessing his purchase, he want a new tarmac now! I do have to say that the new roubaix frames a sweet looking, but after riding bothi just like the feel and fit tarmac a bit better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    what no computer?

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    what no computer?
    I swap my edge 305 from my epic to the tarmac, the pics were taken the second i got it home

Unit 91
    This is an awesome post! This is truely why I am happy that we sell Specialized at our shop. Looks like you have quite a Specialized collection there. I am glad everything worked out!
    Bikes

Dec 2006
    I have been a Specialized fan for about 7 years now and like jut8 I have a stable of bikes.
    1. 1999 Stumpjumper xc
    2. 2003 Hardrock
    3. 2004 Big Hit Spec
    4. 2004 Big Hit Grom
    5. 2006 Stumpjumper comp
    6. 2003 Big Hit Comp (sold)
    7. 2002 Rockhopper (stolen)
    8. 2003 Enduro (stolen)

Reading this post just enforces my love for there bikes. Glad it worked out so nice for you

mtbr member
    I just got another smoking deal on the same bike...close out '06, last in the store, paid $2200. I like the blue color and the saddle a little more, but I think yours has the new and improved carbon fiber. Got the 105 pedals and S-Works shoes...soooo much better than my Allez!

The Other Dude
    VERY NICE! I actually had an 05 Tarmac Pro, which is pretty close to what you have. They actually changed the frame design for 07, and they changed the carbon on it as you mentioned. The toupe saddle is awesome, i loved it so much that i also ordered one for my S-Works epic in the team red and black. I am going to use the black bar tape that comes with the team edition toupe saddle on the Tarmac, there is just something about the white bar tape that bothers me, lol.

The blue tint carbon is sweet, i have seen a few guys with that bike, and it really stands out. No picture that you can take of it does it justice, you have to see it for yourself, just as the carbon, red and gold looks on my bike, the pics just dont do the weave and tints justice.

I am putting a letter together now to thank Mike and Mike for everything they have done. They have gone above and beyond what i would have expected from any company. Seeing the retail on this bike, and what people are paying for them, the deal they gave me on the bike was out of this world, plus the freebies they threw in were amazing. I am still WOW'ed, and have an ear to ear smile!

Aug 2006
    Hey jut8... can I have a bike for free

How fast would you say that somebody could ride on a non-carbon Tarmac on level road? 43 mph?

The Other Dude
    A
    How fast would you say that somebody could ride on a non-carbon Tarmac on level road? 43 mph?
    All of the Tarmacs are full carbon. I have no clue how fast someone could get their bike going on level road. Are you refering to the the guys on the Tour, or us mere mortals? I know when we did the MS150, i had my Roubaix, and the group i was with kept an average pace of 21-22mph on the flats throughout the ride. There we people that passed us, and there were people that we passed, so i guess that was about average....I really dont know, i am sort of new into the whole roadie thing. Can anyone help him out with top speed on level ground? I am sure alot of factors play in like gearing and such.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the tarmac is a GREAT bike, but there a alot more aero bikes out there (time trial bikes for example) that will end up being having a faster top speed.

Dec 2006

Mike Sinyard?

I don't know those two guys that called you, but I like my Stumpy Pro fine. It's good to hear that someone there cares. Part of the reason I got the big S was because it's a private company (unlike Cannondale, Trek & GFisher), so I feel like they're going to be a lot less influenced by short term pressure to boost earnings and concentrate more on building long term market share. It seems like they're doing that. I also like that they have a lifetime warranty on the frame. I wouldn't have shelled out the moolah on my ride if it had a only a 5 yr warranty! Good luck to anyone who does!

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    aahhhh....if he wanted to really WOW you, then your Tarmac would have come with Campy Record and not Dura-Ace. Wait, I better not get that arguement started.

After hearing all of the bashing Spec received for it's new Demo paint jobs, it's good to hear something so positive being talked about the company. Good job Specialized.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailcarver
    I don't know those two guys that called you, but I like my Stumpy Pro fine. It's good to hear that someone there cares. Part of the reason I got the big S was because it's a private company (unlike Cannondale, Trek & GFisher), so I feel like they're going to be a lot less influenced by short term pressure to boost earnings and concentrate more on building long term market share. It seems like they're doing that. I also like that they have a lifetime warranty on the frame. I wouldn't have shelled out the moolah on my ride if it had a only a 5 yr warranty! Good luck to anyone who does!

Mike Sinyard is the President of Specialized, and Mike McAndrews is the guy that invented the brain shock, he used to work for fox racing shocks, now he works for Specialized.

The stumpy pro is a great bike, i loved my s-works stumpy fsr! The brain makes them awesome!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Specialized Bikes Rule!

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ
    aahhhh....if he wanted to really WOW you, then your Tarmac would have come with Campy Record and not Dura-Ace. Wait, I better not get that arguement started.

After hearing all of the bashing Spec received for it's new Demo paint jobs, it's good to hear something so positive being talked about the company. Good job Specialized.
    i've heard that the paint jobs are actually awesome in real life, and that they were designed by darren berrecloth for the demo/bighit series. not sure if that's true or not.

thecentralscrutinizer
    jut8

With the cash you've laid down over the last couple years for your Specialized bikes, and the crap you went through with that Epic, it's the very least they could do.

Be thankful your bike doesn't have a Triad shock.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

Members who have read this thread: 0