Opinions on the Roval Traverse and Roval Traverse SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Opinions on the Roval Traverse and Roval Traverse SL

Hello all, i have a carbon nomad bike with dt swiss 430 wheelset that weighs 1900 grams. I'm looking to upgrade soon, and was looking at these two all mountain wheelsets. I use the bike for rough trail, minor downhilling (downieville, porcupine, oat hill) kind of terrain.

In the past i have found that heavy wheels actually deflect less while going downhill than lighter wheels, but feel like I might enjoy having a lighterwheelset. For 1600 bucks a carbon all mountain wheelset that weighs 1500 grams seems like a pretty good deal. Conversly the roval traverse that weighs 1680 for 650 bucks is not bad also.

Anybody have expierence with these wheels? Pros cons? I"M a 170 pound rider. I don't really jump, but i"m not the smoothest, sometimes I do get rough with my equipment.]

Conversly, I am also looking at the Reynolds AM carbon wheelset which is 1680 grams.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    The regular traverse are a great wheel. Fairly wide and strong and can take a beating. Several of my 200 lb+ riding buddies run them and they hold up great to just about everything we do, including big jumps and drops.
    Im 160 lbs and I had a set of over a year and i dont remember if I ever had to true them. I just rode the crap out of them and never thought about them. They go Tubeless very easy too.

On my new bike I plan on getting the Traverse SL when they get back in stock. Ive heard nothing but good things about them and if they are a lighter, stiffer version of the regular Traverse I will be VERY happy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just noticed this is an old thread but thought my question applied here...Can Anyone help me with weight and details of the stock wheels on a specialized evo comp stumpjumper, roval 650b, alloy disc, 24mm wide, 32h wheels more detailed specs and weight plus any opinion of the wheels is welcome. Do they weigh 2200 gr or more?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    The 26" version of those was a tad over 2000g. I bet the 650b version are around 2100g.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by winsail View Post
    I just noticed this is an old thread but thought my question applied here...Can Anyone help me with weight and details of the stock wheels on a specialized evo comp stumpjumper, roval 650b, alloy disc, 24mm wide, 32h wheels more detailed specs and weight plus any opinion of the wheels is welcome. Do they weigh 2200 gr or more?
    Thanks in advance
    i happen to have a 650b stumpy fsr evo comp on the shop floor will give wheel specs tomorrow, they are marked as traverse on the stickers.

bike is euro spec but afaik the only difference is the color:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Specialized Bicycle Components

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by winsail View Post
    Thanks in advance
    update: wheelset weight is 1990gr (880 front 1110 rear) with 2Bliss rim tape installed.

they come with Traverse stickers which say ETRTO 584x23 ERD 562

rim is 28.1mm wide (external) and 23.5mm wide internal (between bead hooks).
    the width between the sidewalls (where the tire bead sits) is about 24.5

Members who have read this thread: 3