Older FSR parts interchangability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Older FSR parts interchangability

I'm calling on the collective knowledge of the forum here. What are your experiences with parts swapping on the older FSR's, specifically the rear triange ( seat stays, chain stays, suspension linkages, bearings) on the 1997-2004 models. What fits, what doesn't?

From what I've read, the rear triangles from 00-01 Enduros are compatible with the 97-99 Ground Controls. So, what about 00-01 Stumpjumpers? Are they different than the 00-01 Enduros?

Here's what I have: I have a '00 Stumpjumper FSR that I would like to upgrade to disc brakes. I also have a 98 Ground Control FSR frame. I'm watching a '01 Stumpjumper frame on Ebay right now that has a butchered bottom bracket. Would the rear triangle be adaptable to either of these frames with off the shelf parts? I know that Risse Racing makes some pieces as well, but I hear they are very heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nobody knows?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The stumpjumper frames are possibly exactly the same but why not just swap everything over to the 2001 frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta View Post
    The stumpjumper frames are possibly exactly the same but why not just swap everything over to the 2001 frame?
    I thought about that. The Stumpjumper frame (watching on Ebay) has stripped threads in the bottom bracket shell and would require more $$ to repair.I was hoping I could pick it up cheap but the current bid is $128.50 + $30 shipping. That's nuts. I don't think it's worth $150 for a damaged frame, so I'll probably just keep waiting for another one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ah yeah, thought it might have just been a broken BB rather than the frame itself. Stay clear of that one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    anh why would anyone pay $150 for a known damaged bb? I mean is it that easy to rechase the threads in the bb???

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie View Post
    anh why would anyone pay $150 for a known damaged bb? I mean is it that easy to rechase the threads in the bb???
    Chasing the threads is easy if you just have a small section that is messed up or cross threaded, but this thing looks like big sections of the threads pulled right out. I don't know what all of these bidders are thinking.

Pictures would help: 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro | eBay

Look at the 5th picture.