oh boy, gonna need some help- Mtbr.com

May 2005

oh boy, gonna need some help

Okay well let me start off by saying I've got a 2005 Hardrock Pro Disk. It's basically stock, except for tires (upgraded to a wider enduro in the rear and adrenaline in the front), seat, and well.. grips. I bought the bike back in late summer 2005 as a daily rider for around town and thats what I used it for up until about 6 months ago when i got lazy and resorted to my car. I did some very non technical trail riding in that time but have recently been doing some good trails and would like to continue.

However I would like to make some improvements. This is where you guys come in. I know virtually NOTHING about whats good and whats not in the bike world. Number one on my list is a full suspension frame. Now, would it even be practical to buy a, lets say big hit frame, new fork, all the other goodies that i need, and pay for labor at the bike shop (which would probably end up being outrageous am i right?) or just sell my bike and buy myself a full suspension bike?

If it would be worth it can any one point me in the direction of a good frame? Keep in mind while im not on an incredibly strict budget, I dont want to be dropping thousands and thousands.

If it wouldn't be practical then I'm going to need a new fork any way because the 'ole stock marzocchi is starting to rust a little bit. What would be a good fork to use with that frame? I know I'm sort of limited by the frame as to what i can buy unless i want to go around snapping my head tube.

Any other tips or part recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. Going over to the shop tomorrow to ask an estimate on labor for a frame swap and maybe to pick up some new gear.

Oh yeah one more thing, whats a good online store to get bike parts from? thanks and sorry for the novel!!

-Brett

Jun 2005
    well to answer your fork question, seeing as you're on a tight budget, look for a manitou splice, rockshox tora, anything like that. decent XC/trail forks.

now as for your full suspension, you didn't really specify what kind of riding you're into. For example, if you're in downhilling, those frames are a HELL of a lot different from an XC frame. Before you buy a frame, you need to know what you want to be riding.

Don't bother selling the hardrock; you won't get much for it. you're far better off keeping it.

May 2005
    All of the trails around here are very rocky single tracks. They are all either flat or downhill, mostly downhill. We have been planning to make trips to a few local ski slopes switched over to downhill tracks for the warm months. If that tells you anything.

Jun 2005
    it might be a bit pricy for you, but if you look used, a Specialized SX Trail fits the bill for what you want to do. if you're a bit more budget-minded, look into a Santa Cruz Heckler. Generally as a rule of thumb, custom builds will cost more than a stock bike. save up about 3g's for an SXT1 and you won't be disappointed.

May 2005
    A new bike isn't out of the question. I've been thinking about it. While i might not get a lot for my Hardrock ill get a little and since I've got no use for two bikes, ill just get what i can out of it.

However if i do just keep my Hardrock ill be doing some serious revamping. Any recommendations on a fork?

May 2005
    how is this fork?
    http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3691

would my frame be able to handle it?

Apr 2007
    Sell the hardrock- there's almost nothing on it that you'll be able to use for your new build. Buy either an SX or a Big Hit- you'll save yourself a heap of money, get a great riding dedicated bike that you'll love

Jun 2005
    yes, that fork would work.

imho, you won't be able to sell your hardrock for much more than 4-500, which though you may be able to use, in my opinion having a hardtail that can do anything is far more valuable, but that's because i would actually put it to use. if you have no use for the hardrock, sell it, but if you could use it, keep it.

Enthusiast
    I second (or third?) the idea of keeping your current bike, especially if you get something like an SX Trail. You can use the Hardrock for diddling around town and such, and save the spendier bike for serious trail riding.

I keep one bike set up for riding in town, and have another for riding on trails. I've been pretty happy with that arrangement.

mtbr member
    You are going from a KIA SUV to a Monster Truck. There is a HUGE weight, ride, and performance difference between the two bikes going uphill and downhill. Most riders transition to a burly AM/FR bike through a trail bike like the Stumpjumper or Enduro. Before buying anything, demo a SX Trail, Heckler, or any other AM/FR bike to fully realize what you are getting.

I was shopping for a new bike and looked at the Giant Trance, Iron Horse MKIII, and Stumpjumper. The Stumpy won hands down but riding the MKIII really opened my eyes up. I am sure it is fine for AM riding but it felt like a cumbersome brick around the parking lot. The suspension worked great but I knew that I wouldn't be able to make any of the local climbs on it.

Don't let the internet convince you to buy a AM/FR bike. IF it is the wrong choice, you won't make back the money you paid for it on ebay.

Apr 2007
    I think keeping the hardrock is a great idea- for around town, XC trails. The point I was trying to make, was not to make the mistake of trying to upgrade it to do the sort of riding you've described....

May 2005
    went for a ride tonight and realized how much i want a full suspension bike. the trails really kicked my ass. they are very very rocky around here. i was thinking about getting a new fork for my bike, as much as i need one i think im gonna hold off and get a good bike.

i was at the shop before i went for a ride and the had as sx trail I, man was that ever a nice bike. but 2999... i dont know. ill need to think about it for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHertz
    went for a ride tonight and realized how much i want a full suspension bike. the trails really kicked my ass. they are very very rocky around here. i was thinking about getting a new fork for my bike, as much as i need one i think im gonna hold off and get a good bike.

i was at the shop before i went for a ride and the had as sx trail I, man was that ever a nice bike. but 2999... i dont know. ill need to think about it for a while.
    Did you try a Stumpy? Enduro SL? Enduro? All very nice bikes and offers components levels that are very affordable.

May 2005
    perhaps i could do some research. i may run over to the shop tonight to test ride a few bikes.

the regular enduro... is it worth it? i mean its far closer to my price range and it looks like its got some good components on there but do you think i will be happy with it.

May 2005
    So, went to the shop yesterday and rode an sx trail I. absolutly amazing bike. i think i may be picking it up this week or next.

Jun 2005
    So, went to the shop yesterday and rode an sx trail I. absolutly amazing bike. i think i may be picking it up this week or next.
    congrats! lemme know how you like it, i'm looking into getting one of those too

May 2005
    I would have gotten it tonight but i just got off work and the banks are closed.. shame too because me and a buddy are going to a resort tomorrow. they are having a downhill race with a beginners course so i think i may enter. its too bad i wont have it for that. ill just have to tough out one more ride with the ole hardrock.

any way the guy at the shop i talked to has one.. i started talking to him about enduros and was just about to say something about the trail I they had in. he must have read my mind because he stopped me and walked over to it. lets call it fate. he said he personally owns one and he loves it. so i took it for a quick spin and fell in love.

Singletrack Snob
    Wait a minute. How can a trail only be downhill? What goes down must go up, right? Do you live in crazy MC Esher world?

I'd save for a new bike.

All of the trails around here are very rocky single tracks. They are all either flat or downhill, mostly downhill. We have been planning to make trips to a few local ski slopes switched over to downhill tracks for the warm months. If that tells you anything.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin G
    Wait a minute. How can a trail only be downhill? What goes down must go up, right? Do you live in crazy MC Esher world?

I'd save for a new bike.
    the trail heads are at the top of the mountain. its all stone roads up, about half he time we ride/walk up. the other half some one with a truck drives us up then one of us takes him up to his truck.

also ive been riding a lot of ski resorts the past few weekends. my bike hasnt seen much climbing lately.. i did ride a short xc trail the other day though. i must say, im very out of shape.

Members who have read this thread: 0