Nuther Newbie '03 Epic Disk - Long 'un- Mtbr.com
    Singletrack Mind

Nuther Newbie '03 Epic Disk - Long 'un

OK, Had my sights on a new Blur or Racer-X, but decided to save $1,000 or so and picked up a leftover '03 Epic Disk at my LBS. Love the Flo Red paint & Fox suspension front & rear, got a good deal. Feel like I have a frame worth upgrading for years. What I don't like: overall weight (28.5# stock LG), the extra half pound the '03 frame is carrying compared to the '04, and [so far] the higher Brain threshhold of the '03. I ride fast, 2-3 hour XC rides, mostly solo. I don't race, but I like to be able to drop anybody I run across in the park. I got used to the bob of my '99 K2 Razorback. I couldn't accelerate as fast, but it had great trail feel. I'm not entirely sold on the Epic's dual personality yet, but I want to put on some miles and see if I grow to like it. My questions are: what have other people done to drop weight on the Epic? How do owners like the Epic's ride (people who have done more than test ride)? Is there any option to recharge the nitrogen pressure of the Brain to set it at the '04/half-G threshhold? Or should I just keep riding and get used to it? Please give me any impressions you have. The bike looks so sweet that it makes me want to ride, and that's pretty huge in itself.

Just passing through....

Some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    OK, Had my sights on a new Blur or Racer-X, but decided to save $1,000 or so and picked up a leftover '03 Epic Disk at my LBS. Love the Flo Red paint & Fox suspension front & rear, got a good deal. Feel like I have a frame worth upgrading for years. What I don't like: overall weight (28.5# stock LG), the extra half pound the '03 frame is carrying compared to the '04, and [so far] the higher Brain threshhold of the '03. I ride fast, 2-3 hour XC rides, mostly solo. I don't race, but I like to be able to drop anybody I run across in the park. I got used to the bob of my '99 K2 Razorback. I couldn't accelerate as fast, but it had great trail feel. I'm not entirely sold on the Epic's dual personality yet, but I want to put on some miles and see if I grow to like it. My questions are: what have other people done to drop weight on the Epic? How do owners like the Epic's ride (people who have done more than test ride)? Is there any option to recharge the nitrogen pressure of the Brain to set it at the '04/half-G threshhold? Or should I just keep riding and get used to it? Please give me any impressions you have. The bike looks so sweet that it makes me want to ride, and that's pretty huge in itself.
    Heres my bike:
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=220

Look at other bikes, especially the Epics on the site for ideas also.

Cheap:
    You can save 60 grams by switching to foam grips, I like the feel better anyway.
    Switch to a bolt on seatclamp and skewers, about 10 bucks each.
    Get an XT cassette. The stock LX that mine came with weighs almost a pound by itself.
    Stem: Get a Pazazz from JensonUSA for $25. Saves about 50 grams.
    Switch to Maxxis flyweight tubes or Stans tubeless conversion. Saves almost 1/2 pound with either one.

Not so cheap:
    The stock Specialized seat, seatpost, and handlebars all weigh a "ton".
    The Shimano pedals also weigh alot. You can save 1/2 pound at the pedals alone
    You can save .4 pounds by getting a Selle Italia SLR seat. Its surprisingly comfortable.
    The stock crankset and bottom bracket are also far heavier than most others out there.

Spec out your bike on excel with all the parts, and pick the most pound per dollar savings first. I have all the stock parts weights from mine. If you want them, let me know.
    Also hang out on the "Save some weight" forum.

BTW: I'm about to add a Dura Ace cassette and drop the weight into the high 22's. I can do that with the 20t chainring. Even an extra large 03 Epic can be made light.

As far as the Brain shock goes, you could replace it with an 04 shock (again, not cheap) or wait for a system to be developed to revalve the 03 to give it the adjustability. I'm told that someone is working on it. I personally like it the way it is, although I would certainly like more adjustability, especially of the activation threshold.

My personal impression: I love this bike and if given the chance I would choose it again. I have ridden it mostly on trails and it performs great, although not as "plush" as a trail specific bike. I plan to race it this year also, and I built it up with that in mind. Nothing puts the power to the ground like an Epic.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 04-02-2004 at 11:41 PM.

Singletrack Mind

[Really] Light Epic

That is quite a light bike. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll just keep riding the beast and hope to learn to love it.

Jan 2004

Great post, cost is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic

Not so cheap:
    The stock Specialized seat, seatpost, and handlebars all weigh a "ton".
    The Shimano pedals also weigh alot. You can save 1/2 pound at the pedals alone
    You can save .4 pounds by getting a Selle Italia SLR seat. Its surprisingly comfortable.
    The stock crankset and bottom bracket are also far heavier than most others out there.
    From a weight-weenie cost standpoint, I'd say the seat, seatpost and handlebars can be cheap to swapout.

You can save 100g with a WTB titanium railed Stealth seat that can be found on sale for about $70 bucks or buy a used SLR, off Ebay for $40.

You can pick up a Sette carbon seatpost from Pricepoint for $50.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...n-Seatpost.htm

Bought a Hellbent XC handlebar for $27 bucks from Cambria.
    http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/handlebars/index.htm

Mine came with Specialized's own "Strongarm" crankset. You can save a bit with a Shimano LX crankset (runs less than $100 for the crankset and bb if you find a sale.)

Danny

Just passing through....

Absolutely!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    I'll just keep riding the beast and hope to learn to love it.
    Ride the bike and enjoy it. Maybe do some cheap weight weenie tricks, like the grips and flyweight tubes now and as parts break or for whatever reason need replacing, replace them with lighter ones.

Tribe Member

Cool-blue Rhythm Here is the spec for my Epic Comp

Now, granted mine is a Med Comp so the frame weight might be off a little. I should have pic up this week on the save some weight forum and at light-bikes.com.

Have to give da fire medic a run for his bike at this point. There are lots of great deals on ebay and using weightweenies.starbike.com is great starting point. I weighed all of my stuff for grins and some was more and some was less. The only thing that I bought new was the fork and most of the parts came from the "old" ride and from ebay.

Good luck and save lots

Specialized Epic Comp Real World Scale
    Med frame/rear shock 2724
    Fox F80 RLT 1636
    Problem Solvers with bolt 25
    Chris King w/starnut 98
    Campy Record with bolt 9
    Maxm MX-1 114
    Spec Epic stem 178
    SRAM 9.0 pair brakes 398
    SRAM 9.0 Carbon levers 142
    SRAM 9.0SL Carbon shifters 153
    XTR 34.9 BP/BS ft der 112
    SRAM 9.0SL Carbon rr der 187
    Race Face Next LP 668
    Race Face Taperlock b/b 219
    Dotek bolts 8mm steel 26
    SRAM PC59 chain 274
    Avid Flak Jacket w fuerrels 42
    SRAM 7.0 11/34 316
    WTB Stealth pedals 262
    Crossmax XL UST 1624
    Schwalbe Fast Freds w/tubes 1056
    SLR Evolution saddle 119
    Syncros Carbon 30.9 215
    Cork tape for grips 12
    10609 = 23.3 lbs 10609
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Just passing through....

Very nice....

Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Now, granted mine is a Med Comp so the frame weight might be off a little. I should have pic up this week on the save some weight forum and at light-bikes.com.

Have to give da fire medic a run for his bike at this point. There are lots of great deals on ebay and using weightweenies.starbike.com is great starting point. I weighed all of my stuff for grins and some was more and some was less. The only thing that I bought new was the fork and most of the parts came from the "old" ride and from ebay.

Good luck and save lots

Specialized Epic Comp Real World Scale
    Med frame/rear shock 2724
    Fox F80 RLT 1636
    Problem Solvers with bolt 25
    Chris King w/starnut 98
    Campy Record with bolt 9
    Maxm MX-1 114
    Spec Epic stem 178
    SRAM 9.0 pair brakes 398
    SRAM 9.0 Carbon levers 142
    SRAM 9.0SL Carbon shifters 153
    XTR 34.9 BP/BS ft der 112
    SRAM 9.0SL Carbon rr der 187
    Race Face Next LP 668
    Race Face Taperlock b/b 219
    Dotek bolts 8mm steel 26
    SRAM PC59 chain 274
    Avid Flak Jacket w fuerrels 42
    SRAM 7.0 11/34 316
    WTB Stealth pedals 262
    Crossmax XL UST 1624
    Schwalbe Fast Freds w/tubes 1056
    SLR Evolution saddle 119
    Syncros Carbon 30.9 215
    Cork tape for grips 12
    10609 = 23.3 lbs 10609
    Heck, you're more than giving it a run. Very nice build! I wish I could get the ride of a Fox Fork and still be at 23.3 lbs. I'd also like to replace some of my Shimano stuff with SRAM. BTW: I picked up one of those Noleen forks off Ebay and it weighed 1411 grams. I then weighed the stock Skareb Comp at 1605 grams. It rides much better too, I set it to the 100 mm setting. If anyone's looking for a replacement fork, you might check these out.

Tribe Member
    The Noleen is a very nice fork. Hopefully eDiscountbike will have parts for them if something happens. That seems to be a tough fix for some. The Fox is a great fork. Rode it last night for the first time and it was straight and fast.

Since I am focusing on Marathon races and a couple 24 hour races, weight is important but durability is more important. Going fast and being light is good but finishing a race is more than that

Thanks for encouragement.

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    The Noleen is a very nice fork. Hopefully eDiscountbike will have parts for them if something happens. That seems to be a tough fix for some. The Fox is a great fork. Rode it last night for the first time and it was straight and fast.

Since I am focusing on Marathon races and a couple 24 hour races, weight is important but durability is more important. Going fast and being light is good but finishing a race is more than that

Thanks for encouragement.

Rich
    I'm told there are complete rebuild kits available for them, and that the all O-rings are standard and can be obtained at any auto parts store. I took the fork apart to change it from 75 mm to 100 mm, and it appears to be a simple design. But just in case, I just bought a second one as a back-up. I've never seen a 100 mm fork that light at any price, and it seems to ride beautifully. We'll just have to see how the durability is, but it seems solid. All told, the Fox is clearly a better fork, and if the money was flowing real well right now that's what I would have. But you just can't beat the $99 price for the Noleen and they will eventually run out of them, so I jumped on it.

Tribe Member
    That is a great deal on that fork and they are durable. I am fortunate/lucky enough that I work at a shop doing thier internet sales and such. They extend me the optoin of EP forms. If not, I would own a Noleen like everyone else. SID's suck and Marzocchi are over priced