Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2001

New Stumpjumper has been launched

Specialized has updated their site.

this is the frame i saw in santa cruz a few weeks ago accidentally and was sworn to secrecy.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=253580-157591

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Looks like there are two models....a modified Stumpy with a little more rear travel and the ST version which looks to replaced the camber.

Whiskey Alpha
    Mar 2018
    The new Stumperjumper ST does in fact replace the Camber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Here is the low down on all three models from pinkbike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-di...mpjumpers.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2001

mtbr member

New Stumpjumper has been launched

Front triangle side arm thing looks ugly and outta place when initially look at it appears to intrude on the bottle space. After seeing a few more shots starting go grow on me. Like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just watched this vid walkthrough of the new models and poked around the Specialized site a bit. Gotta say, Im relieved that it isn't a more drastic change from the 2018 model that I just bought two weeks ago =)

Probably a bigger deal for people who are far better riders than I, but I'll be damned if I'd ever detect a half degree head tube angle difference, a few mm reach, or likely mess with the flip chip bit.

Does look nice, but for $1500 more than I bought my 27.5 expert for, well, yee haw =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fM0kNg0rvU

mtbr member
    The EVO model looks really good, 63.5 head angle and proper long chainstays on a short-ish travel bike is a recipe for good times. Definitely not for everyone but I'm a big fan, interesting that they went with much lower stack height on it compared to the normal Stumpy though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvus2001 View Post
    The EVO model looks really good, 63.5 head angle and proper long chainstays on a short-ish travel bike is a recipe for good times. Definitely not for everyone but I'm a big fan, interesting that they went with much lower stack height on it compared to the normal Stumpy though.
    Why no frame only option?!?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    2018 Specialized Stumpjumper launched - Mtbr.com

I heard it's very, very good.
    IPA will save America

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Stack is just too high on the large+ sizes for aggressive riders.

Good review here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fM0kNg0rvU

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Couple random thoughts.

The geometry of the 27.5 regular stumpjumper looks great. Wish it was the same in 29

Stumpjumper evo is a good deal as full bike. Buy it and strip if you want a frame option

Likewise comp carbon is only 1000 more than a frame. Same carbon frame.

Every review ive read so far (and lately) is from a reviewer who is 6-2 or taller and complain about not having a long enough dropper etc. do normal height people not review bikes? Isnt average height 5-9 to 6í?

Frankly I was about to pull the trigger on a rocky mountain instinct. Now this has me thinking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    EVO geometry is amazing but only one model? No carbon option or frame only. Seriously?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post

The geometry of the 27.5 regular stumpjumper looks great. Wish it was the same in 29.
    100% agree. No idea what they were thinking there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Comp Carbon is the same frame as S-Works. They should have gone to 12m just like tarmac went to 12r on the PRO and S-Works models. Just another disappointment.

No good in rock gardens..
    Hmmm. A lot to take in and think about.

This will bear serious consideration....
    Less isn't MOAR

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    Comp Carbon is the same frame as S-Works. They should have gone to 12m just like tarmac went to 12r on the PRO and S-Works models. Just another disappointment.
    You're asking for more marketing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    100% agree. No idea what they were thinking there.
    I wonder (doubt) if you could fit a 29er rear wheel in a 27.5 frame. Probably not with more than a 2.3 tire. Or If you could frankenbike a 29er read end on the longer 27.5 front

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You're asking for more marketing.
    No, I'm asking for more performance and lighter weight if I have to spend more proportionately. You can get a complete bike with the same Sworks frame for $1000 more. When I buy a Santa Cruz CC frame only I know I'm getting a frame that's lighter than the entry level C frame. Just like the CC, S-Works is supposed to be and has been the lightest available option on pro and above models. A higher modulus carbon is used to achieve the same frame strength but at a lower weight since less is needed. The current Sworks is just marketing as you're paying for a sticker and I'm not asking for that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The carbon frame and s-works carbon frame are not the same... Maybe something has changed, I've messaged the specialized crew.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Too bad there is no XXL in alloy models...

mtbr member

I find stack is a very opinion based thing, I'm a pretty aggressive rider/racer and have always liked a higher front end, it helps with weight distribution on steeper trails. I wonder if Specialized lowered the stack to try to make it a bit easier to weight the front wheel with the slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No, I'm asking for more performance and lighter weight if I have to spend more proportionately. You can get a complete bike with the same Sworks frame for $1000 more. When I buy a Santa Cruz CC frame only I know I'm getting a frame that's lighter than the entry level C frame. Just like the CC, S-Works is supposed to be and has been the lightest available option on pro and above models. A higher modulus carbon is used to achieve the same frame strength but at a lower weight since less is needed. The current Sworks is just marketing as you're paying for a sticker and I'm not asking for that.
    Or the opposite... make the comp carbon cheaper and a bit heavier.

mtbr member
    Gone are the days of PF30 noise, I like.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    The carbon frame and s-works carbon frame are not the same... Maybe something has changed, I've messaged the specialized crew.
    All the carbon models are full 11m for 2019. 2018 had 11m for higher end models and 9m front triangle and m5 alloy rear triangle on comp and expert models. Please let us know what you hear.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's likely cheaper to just buy more quantity and perform one lay-up pattern than use different prepreg. It's all just Toray junk anyway. If the supposedly higher end bikes used aerospace/military grade prepreg it might be worth it.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I find stack is a very opinion based thing, I'm a pretty aggressive rider/racer and have always liked a higher front end, it helps with weight distribution on steeper trails. I wonder if Specialized lowered the stack to try to make it a bit easier to weight the front wheel with the slacker head angle.
    Yeah I get that it is terrain dependent to a degree but it's easier to raise a bar height with a short headtube than be limited in how long you can go with a long one. Low bar height is key for front grip for me.

Check out Graves slamming the stem on medium in the Vital vid.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    All sizes and models are showing 170 cranks. I'm a cross country guy and like the uphills just as much as the downhills. Any thoughts on all bikes having these smaller cranks for climbing and technical uphills? The bikes are still very much oriented to the Enduro side of riding versus XC. Maybe one day they will give me a 27.5 Epic but I'm not holding my breath.

mtbr member
    totally looks like Orbea Rallon, except the brace is on the other side.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Why no frame only option?!?
    S-Works frame-only: $3200

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I wonder (doubt) if you could fit a 29er rear wheel in a 27.5 frame. Probably not with more than a 2.3 tire. Or If you could frankenbike a 29er read end on the longer 27.5 front
    Now that I think about it. Maybe the little shorter reach isn't as bad as I thought. If you're ok with the higher stack. There was an interesting article I saw a few years ago:
    Reach: Bike geometry tables haven't done the math for us - WheelSizeAgnostic

Talking about pythagorean "length" of a bike = sqrt( reach ^ 2 + stack ^ 2) . Also you can lower the stack height and gain reach by slamming the stem and doing a lower rise bar.

Should also be noted in the vitalmtb video that both Graves and Keene mention they size down from the last model...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think that expert level ST 29er is calling my name.
    2017 Bikey McBikeface Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    It's likely cheaper to just buy more quantity and perform one lay-up pattern than use different prepreg. It's all just Toray junk anyway. If the supposedly higher end bikes used aerospace/military grade prepreg it might be worth it.
    I am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.... Toray have in their product line every grade of carbon you could desire, there are some specific tow's that other companies make that are nice, spread tow solutions come to mind, but in terms of modulus Toray have UHM fibre that is well beyond the stiffness of anything used in a commercially available bike frame.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by macca208 View Post
    I am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.... Toray have in their product line every grade of carbon you could desire, there are some specific tow's that other companies make that are nice, spread tow solutions come to mind, but in terms of modulus Toray have UHM fibre that is well beyond the stiffness of anything used in a commercially available bike frame.
    Listen to the Cesar Rojo podcast on Vital.

Commercially available prepreg sheet specs don't have the impact resistance or strength to weight ratio of the aerospace grade product they had to sign legal papers to use. I've heard this criticism of low grade product before, when McLaren partnered with Specialized for example.

You're absolutely right, I'm not a composites engineer! Far from it. I've been told from people in the industry that paying more for higher spec carbon is mostly marketing as product used is identical with a more complex lay-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Its all a nice marketing spiel, but the reality is that its available to buy, and more to the point, nobody in the bike game is using anywhere near the top end of what is actually available on the market.

Ultra thin laminates of 15gsm in UHM can be sourced today, and this is what F1 cars and high end race yachts (what I build) are using. You won't see that on bikes yet, but when someone does it you will actually see how far we can go with materials....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, but then you have to develop multiple layup plans for the different grade fibers. Simplicity costs less to engineer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yes, but then you have to develop multiple layup plans for the different grade fibers. Simplicity costs less to engineer.
    When you are building the amount of bikes Specialized do, the engineering costs are negligible.
    The material costs are higher with these newer type fibres, but when you figure that the material costs for a frame are only a couple of hundred bucks, its also a small part of the retail price.

mtbr member
    How good is the 12M found on the S-WORKS Epic and Tarmac? They claim itís Japanese military grade fiber... marketing fluff or real improvements in materials? What company would this be as toray is Japanese.

Its all a nice marketing spiel, but the reality is that its available to buy, and more to the point, nobody in the bike game is using anywhere near the top end of what is actually available on the market.

Ultra thin laminates of 15gsm in UHM can be sourced today, and this is what F1 cars and high end race yachts (what I build) are using. You won't see that on bikes yet, but when someone does it you will actually see how far we can go with materials....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone been able to determine frame weight especially the ST sworks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    How good is the 12M found on the S-WORKS Epic and Tarmac? They claim itís Japanese military grade fiber... marketing fluff or real improvements in materials? What company would this be as toray is Japanese.
    The 12m is good, I rode a new Tarmac the other day, it was very impressive. I would need to cut one up and do a burn test to really know what was going on inside, so if someone wants to donate a 12m frame I am happy to do it.....

Essentially it comes down to modulus, the standard modulus carbon has a Youngs Modulus (measure of tension stiffness) of 265000 MPa whilst Ultra High mod is around 966000 MPa

But the real gains are made in using very thin layers that are accurately placed to optimize strength and stiffness.

Most cloth you buy to build in carbon is 150gsm as the lightest and a lot of it is 400gsm for large areas that need high strength.

We use in some special applications all the way down to 15gsm and this is where you can get very nice gains. There are challenges with using such a thin material, but once you have that sorted its impressive where you can take things.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great info Macca.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    S-Works frame-only: $3200
    I was interested in an Aluminum EVO frame

mtbr member
    Got to ride one around the parking lot today and it felt really good. Hopefully I can find one to take out on the trails soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    https://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/....1894960.2.htm

STUMPJUMPER expert 29 M, 13,2 kg
    S works ST M, 12,26 KG

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Consider the 650b 150/150mm bike for this discussion,

Would running a 42mm offset lyrik versus the spec'd 46mm be an area of concern? It would shorten the wheel base ever so slightly and and you would be riding a bit more over the front tire. I was also considering running the 42mm fork at 160mm instead of 150mm,

thanks for any input~!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Would running a 42mm offset lyrik versus the spec'd 46mm be an area of concern? It would shorten the wheel base ever so slightly and and you would be riding a bit more over the front tire. I was also considering running the 42mm fork at 160mm instead of 150mm,

thanks for any input~!!!
    I was shitty at geometry in high school (although mainly because I just slept in class and never did homework.) That said, and without busting out science and calculators and formulas and stuff, when you raise the front end 10mm that is gonna push the wheelbase out a hair... possibly a similar hair to the 4mm offset difference. I'm not the princess and the pea, so from my novice perspective, good luck being able to discern a couple MM in wheelbase.

How much difference the slight head tube angle change, seat tube angle, bottom bracket height, and fork offset would make is way beyond me, but I suppose the uberest of riders would notice?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I disagree. Us taller guys with sorta long legs are getting shafted with the silly low stack heights. The Camber was the bike for me and the new Stumpy is fairly close. Somebody needs to not try so hard to be like every other Kona / Santa Cruz in town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ordered my Expert ST 29 today. Late May delivery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No frame only option in ST model so I am out. I guess I could switch shock and yoke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
    Too bad there is no XXL in alloy models...
    Glad I got my XXL 2018. Fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    I don't see why not. From what I have read each bike has clearance for a 3" tire. If the 27.5 has clearance for a 27.5x3 tire then it will have clearance for a 29er.

mtbr member
    My friend believes that a 170mm fork on the Stumpy 29 will turn it into the perfect shred sled. Anyone think thatís a bad idea?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001 View Post
    I disagree. Us taller guys with sorta long legs are getting shafted with the silly low stack heights. The Camber was the bike for me and the new Stumpy is fairly close. Somebody needs to not try so hard to be like every other Kona / Santa Cruz in town.
    There's always more spacers and higher rise bars for you guys.

mtbr member
    Why call it the 2019 Stumpjumper? Look I get it, retailers have been doing this for decades, but why? Are we not living in the year 2018? Did this bike time travel back a year?

No good in rock gardens..
    Nest year's bikes are coming out earlier and earlier. When can I get a 2020? By Xmas??
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Nest year's bikes are coming out earlier and earlier. When can I get a 2020? By Xmas??
    It looks like the this May the 2020 models will be released! By Xmas you should be able to get your hands on a 2029 or maybe even a 2030 if they release them early! Would suggest you wait till then, the new linkage looks sick. Posted a spy shot below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The black/red aluminum 29er would look good with that new Marzocchi Bomber Z1 up front.

I really like a lot of the touches Specialized did for these. 200mm rotor up front, 780mm bars, 2.6 tires, threaded BB. Really a bike most anyone can hop on and ride and not feel the need to change out stuff right away it looks like.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    The black/red aluminum 29er would look good with that new Marzocchi Bomber Z1 up front.

I really like a lot of the touches Specialized did for these. 200mm rotor up front, 780mm bars, 2.6 tires, threaded BB. Really a bike most anyone can hop on and ride and not feel the need to change out stuff right away it looks like.
    Most of those aren't new to the latest release. 2018 had the 200 up front, 780 bars, and 2.6 tires (at least on the 27.5in model.) BB change is new though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I picked a 2019 up today. I will upload pics when I get home...

Bike specs
    2019 FSR Comp 150m travel 27.5

After a short trail ride the following are my impressions:

Pros-
    Very impressive geometry handles climbs and descends with ease
    Very impressive suspension set up...Zero complaints
    Bike feels MUCH longer/slacker than the specs suggests

Cons-
    Pedal strikes are going to be a thing to deal with
    Paint seems thin...Already picked up a few scratches from the bike ride and the trail ride. Will have to armor this bike up for the areas that receive attention.

General -
    I usually ride large bikes (height 5'10). They looked at the bike measurements when I ordered and suggested I go with a medium. I argued but then agreed. I'm glad I listened. I fit on the medium with the seat almost all of the way down. I rode the large and it was a no go....It seems/feels larger than the last Stumpy.

I am not a pro by any means. My more advanced days of riding are behind me. I have a feeling this is going to be the best/most fun all around trail bike I've owned....and that's not new "giddy" bike owner talking. It just felt sorted from the second I swung my leg over it. I usually have to fiddle with a bike for a long while to get it where I want it. I will definitely spend time adjusting but I've not had a bike feel right like this one does out of the gate.

If you want any specific pics..let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonez View Post
    I picked a 2019 up today. I will upload pics when I get home...

Bike specs
    2019 FSR Comp 150m travel 27.5

After a short trail ride the following are my impressions:

Pros-
    Very impressive geometry handles climbs and descends with ease
    Very impressive suspension set up...Zero complaints
    Bike feels MUCH longer/slacker than the specs suggests

Cons-
    Pedal strikes are going to be a thing to deal with
    Paint seems thin...Already picked up a few scratches from the bike ride and the trail ride. Will have to armor this bike up for the areas that receive attention.

General -
    I usually ride large bikes (height 5'10). They looked at the bike measurements when I ordered and suggested I go with a medium. I argued but then agreed. I'm glad I listened. I fit on the medium with the seat almost all of the way down. I rode the large and it was a no go....It seems/feels larger than the last Stumpy.

I am not a pro by any means. My more advanced days of riding are behind me. I have a feeling this is going to be the best/most fun all around trail bike I've owned....and that's not new "giddy" bike owner talking. It just felt sorted from the second I swung my leg over it. I usually have to fiddle with a bike for a long while to get it where I want it. I will definitely spend time adjusting but I've not had a bike feel right like this one does out of the gate.

If you want any specific pics..let me know.

I ordered the exact bike today. 27.5 comp. I'm glad to hear about the sizing. I'm 5-10 and ordered a green medium. I've owned 4 black bikes in a row and needed a change. I've ridden enduro's for the last 15 years, but it seems as though the new Stumpjumpers are where the enduros were 5 years ago. Looking forward to next week.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I ordered the exact bike today. 27.5 comp. I'm glad to hear about the sizing. I'm 5-10 and ordered a green medium. I've owned 4 black bikes in a row and needed a change. I've ridden enduro's for the last 15 years, but it seems as though the new Stumpjumpers are where the enduros were 5 years ago. Looking forward to next week.
    Congrats on the order..I think you will love it!

I almost ordered the green but went with the black. The dealer showed me a bike in the store that was acid mint green. I didn't like the mint green at all. The color he showed me was not the right mint green or Specialized changed the color, however. They had a 2019 acid mint green Stumpy in the store that was delivered the same time as my bike. It looks amazing....almost made me regret going with the black...I will be really surprised if you aren't happy with the color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone ridden a ST yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    General -

That is surprising considering the stack and the reach on the med is only 596 and 435. I haven't tried the bike yet but with those numbers I would imagine I would be all over the front of the bike when standing, and nearly hitting my knees on the bars when turning (I'm also 5'10).

mtbr member
    Congrats on the order..I think you will love it!

I almost ordered the green but went with the black. The dealer showed me a bike in the store that was acid mint green. I didn't like the mint green at all. The color he showed me was not the right mint green or Specialized changed the color, however. They had a 2019 acid mint green Stumpy in the store that was delivered the same time as my bike. It looks amazing....almost made me regret going with the black...I will be really surprised if you aren't happy with the color.
    I wish the green was the same as last years, but I'm happy with the choice. Thanks for the piece of mind. Next Friday delivery.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do you possibly have shorter legs? Seems very weird, i have similar height, a bit over 5'10 but longer legs and shorter torso.

For a shorter travel bike your going to sit over the front a bit more, fine on a long travel Enduro but not the best on a shorter travel bike as you want the reach to help balance those bigger sections. I was ordering the large but now will stop by a shop to double check, thanks for the heads up... still wanting the stiffer frame from the Large & XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Do you possibly have shorter legs? Seems very weird, i have similar height, a bit over 5'10 but longer legs and shorter torso.

For a shorter travel bike your going to sit over the front a bit more, fine on a long travel Enduro but not the best on a shorter travel bike as you want the reach to help balance those bigger sections. I was ordering the large but now will stop by a shop to double check, thanks for the heads up... still wanting the stiffer frame from the Large & XL.
    I donít consider my legs short..LOL. I have a 32-34 inseem. That would seem normal to me and where I think is average on the charts. Keep in mind my seat is bottomed out and has 3-4 inches to go to increase height.. You are going to have to have some long legs or be two or three inches taller to really need a large. The LBS guy said that he was definitely going to change his sizing recommendations based upon my fit. He is at least two inches taller and he rode my bike and said he would chose a medium.

I donít know the bike just feels long and slack...at least to me. Some of you may try it and disagree.

Edit - I went out and ride it again and thought about a taller persons perspective. Those with large torsos might dig a longer reach. Seat height is not going to be the driver, however.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Anyone ridden a ST yet?
    I am curious about this too. Not sure if I would use more suspension than the ST offers. What kind of riding would warrant the additional travel? How does the LT climb compared to ST?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

thanks for any input~!!!
    Check out the fork they spec on the 650b Stumpy Evo....37mm rake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Any dealers or bike shop employees

Can you tell me if the chainstay protector is available to purchase? if so, how much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I donít consider my legs short..LOL. I have a 32-34 inseem. That would seem normal to me and where I think is average on the charts. Keep in mind my seat is bottomed out and has 3-4 inches to go to increase height.. You are going to have to have some long legs or be two or three inches taller to really need a large. The LBS guy said that he was definitely going to change his sizing recommendations based upon my fit. He is at least two inches taller and he rode my bike and said he would chose a medium.

I donít know the bike just feels long and slack...at least to me. Some of you may try it and disagree.

Edit - I went out and ride it again and thought about a taller persons perspective. Those with large torsos might dig a longer reach. Seat height is not going to be the driver, however.
    On the large could you get the 160mm dropper low enough to ride? Either way im heading down to try one now,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just asked my LBS to order me a 29 S-Works in Gloss Kiwi. I am not in love with the color based on photos but I just can't bring myself to replace my black '17 Enduro with another black bike. So I am going for bright this time!

I am looking forward to being back on a lighter, more nimble rig. I love the Enduro but it just a bit overkill for my trails and riding. It is a monster when pointed down though!

FWIW, I am 6'1" with a 34 inseam and ordered a large.
    Last edited by sonorous; 04-19-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    How much clearance is there in the rear on the 29er? Would it really fit a 29x3 as the website suggests?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Kinda surprised how everyone is sizing down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 650b has 10mm more reach than the 29" for some dumbo reason.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    Kinda surprised how everyone is sizing down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Me too.

I'm 5'8", I ride a Large 2016 650b. 440 reach with a 40mm stem, 125mm dropper with a few mm showing.

Amazing fit. I had a medium for a couple months before, and sold it because it felt small and twitchy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I honestly think the pricing is nutz, $9500, that's $6300 for components that can easily be sourced for $4500. I have confirmed there is no difference in the S-Works frame now either, on the stumpy that is. I'm lucky cause I get heavy discounts but still,

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I honestly think the pricing is nutz, $9500, that's $6300 for components that can easily be sourced for $4500. I have confirmed there is no difference in the S-Works frame now either, on the stumpy that is. I'm lucky cause I get heavy discounts but still,
    Yeah that's how they really make money. That's why so many companies only sell full builds at first. Intense did this recently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    Glad I got my XXL 2018. Fits me perfectly.
    I just compared the 29 ST geometry numbers. The reach of the new XL is 480 compared to 477 of the old XXL. So it looks like us tall riders would be on an new XL. Not digging the short cranks though.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

The Fastest of Bananas
    I don't think that is accurate. By addition, MSRP for the parts is at least 5700.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Any deals or straight MSRP? I may be about a month behind you. Still would like to check out the SC Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ordered my Expert ST 29 today. Late May delivery.
    MSRP or were you able to talk them down a bit? I may be about a month behind you but want to check out the SC Tallboy first.

mtbr member
    Specialized and trek just increased prices due to the exchange rate with Taiwan

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    MSRP or were you able to talk them down a bit? I may be about a month behind you but want to check out the SC Tallboy first.
    I get a team deal through my shop but it sounds like MSRP for most.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I don't think that is accurate. By addition, MSRP for the parts is at least 5700.

What are you looking at full MSRP on the parts? Im listing basic discount that any shop will give you versus almost zero doing anything reasonable on the bike for at least 6 months.

The Fastest of Bananas
    What are you looking at full MSRP on the parts? Im listing basic discount that any shop will give you versus almost zero doing anything reasonable on the bike for at least 6 months.
    Well, say a shop gives you 10 percent off the parts... sure. But that's not a great way to compare things. I was trying to keep it apples to apples.

In my opinion, the markup and profit should be on the frame. The parts included on a complete bike, should be below MSRP. At least 25%.

Why the heck should anyone buy a complete if there is no incentive? I never buy completes anymore. If you need to change 1 part, it makes more sense to build.

Unless it's an Intense, or YT. They seem to hang parts at nearly cost

mtbr member
    Any ideas as to why they didn't make a men's version of the ST Comp Alloy, it leaves a big hole in the lineup between the entry level SJ and the Comp Carbon. This has me adding it to the list of bikes that have my interest but it makes it hard to compare to some of the others that I've looked at in alloy but is comparative in carbon.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    An ST is the same weight as an LT. I guess a 30lb+ 120mm bike isn't very desirable.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Sailboat world is nuts compared to bikes. I just watched the new Ran7 video on SA. Pretty aggressive stuff. Of course F1 is the peak of kooky carbon spending in the civilian world.

The 12m is good, I rode a new Tarmac the other day, it was very impressive. I would need to cut one up and do a burn test to really know what was going on inside, so if someone wants to donate a 12m frame I am happy to do it.....

Essentially it comes down to modulus, the standard modulus carbon has a Youngs Modulus (measure of tension stiffness) of 265000 MPa whilst Ultra High mod is around 966000 MPa

But the real gains are made in using very thin layers that are accurately placed to optimize strength and stiffness.

Most cloth you buy to build in carbon is 150gsm as the lightest and a lot of it is 400gsm for large areas that need high strength.

We use in some special applications all the way down to 15gsm and this is where you can get very nice gains. There are challenges with using such a thin material, but once you have that sorted its impressive where you can take things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I just compared the 29 ST geometry numbers. The reach of the new XL is 480 compared to 477 of the old XXL. So it looks like us tall riders would be on an new XL. Not digging the short cranks though.
    480 reach is on the 27.5 with 637 stack. The XL 29 has 470 reach and 656 stack.

My 2018 XXL has 477 reach and 686 stack. My long legs appreciate the stack height. With the stock spacers and 27mm riser bar it puts my handlebars about even with my seat which is what I prefer.

Will the 2019 XL I would need a longer stem and 30 mm more rise in handlebars, spacers, and/or stem.

It was nice not to have to buy a bunch of new parts with a brand new bike. Not to mention that it makes the bike look funny with all the extra rise.

Too bad for me that the mtb trend is smaller stack height.

Like I said, I'm glad I got the 2018 XXL. I'll be keeping it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

My 2018 XXL has 477 reach and 686 stack. My long legs appreciate the stack height. With the stock spacers and 27mm riser bar it puts my handlebars about even with my seat which is what I prefer.

Will the 2019 XL I would need a longer stem and 30 mm more rise in handlebars, spacers, and/or stem.

It was nice not to have to buy a bunch of new parts with a brand new bike. Not to mention that it makes the bike look funny with all the extra rise.

I'm looking at the web page for "Men's Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon 29". Reach for XL is 480. They don't have the geometry numbers posted for the standard 29 yet, so I can't really compare it to my XXL that came with a 150mm fork.
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I'm looking at the web page for "Men's Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon 29". Reach for XL is 480. They don't have the geometry numbers posted for the standard 29 yet, so I can't really compare it to my XXL that came with a 150mm fork.
    I was going off of the geo charts in the mtbr article. I wasn't looking at the ST since it is more comparable to the Camber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Well, say a shop gives you 10 percent off the parts... sure. But that's not a great way to compare things. I was trying to keep it apples to apples.

In my opinion, the markup and profit should be on the frame. The parts included on a complete bike, should be below MSRP. At least 25%.

Why the heck should anyone buy a complete if there is no incentive? I never buy completes anymore. If you need to change 1 part, it makes more sense to build.

Unless it's an Intense, or YT. They seem to hang parts at nearly cost

Totally agree, wheres the 25% off the parts...

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's in the downtube decal.

Just got the Expert ST medium weight, 29.9lbs.

Fuel EX 9.9 medium weight 26.8lbs.

Not really much point dragging the ST weight around. As with the last Camber they had to overbuild it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Totally agree, wheres the 25% off the parts...
    Better yet, what's up with part pricing industry wide. 300 and 400 dollar cassettes is insane.

You can make your money go pretty far by getting used or sale items on the right parts. But for example, we just finished my wife's Sworks Demo. Probably cost 3k worth of parts, and I got some screaming deals on most of it. Granted, it's all too of the line, but once you add the frame cost, it's still a 7k bike.

This is also why I, in the future, plan to part bikes out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's in the downtube decal.

Just got the Expert ST medium weight, 29.9lbs.

Fuel EX 9.9 medium weight 26.8lbs.

Not really much point dragging the ST weight around. As with the last Camber they had to overbuild it.
    Isn't that particular Fuel EX $3000 more?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The most important part of this post is that your wife rides an S-Works Demo.

So boss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Same here! I mentioned before that stack DOES matter and people get all "Get spacers!" on me. For us normal people, >6'3", this shit matters. Most of these bikes come with cut steerers reducing the total number of spacers you can add. Anyhooz, I love my 2017 XL Camber.

The Fastest of Bananas
    The most important part of this post is that your wife rides an S-Works Demo.

So boss.
    She is a bad bitch

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Double Post.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    Isn't that particular Fuel EX $3000 more?
    How much lighter would an S-Works be? Maybe a pound?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast