New Stumpjumper has been launched - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,706 of 1706
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wired00 View Post
    I'm trying to track down a rear derailleur hanger for 2019 29er with Shimano 11 speed xt derailleur. Anyone know where to order? My local spec dealer where I got the bike bloody shut down

Also, anyone tried replacing outer gear cable for rear shifter? Does it just feed through or is a nightmare?
    https://mikesbikes.com/products/my18...iABEgKQEPD_BwE

Itís nice that specialized uses the same
    Hanger for most bikes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

CBZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It looks like Push now sells the ElevenSix for the 2019 stumpy (but not the Evo??). I can find no reference online (or instagram) of someone actually buying the beautiful piece of MTB jewelry for their stumpy.

Crazy way to spend $1200 or totally worth it? I'm tempted...

...Storia looks cool too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Did you listen to the recent podcast on Vital MTB?
    I thought it was really interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone knows What the weight is on the comp carbon stock wheels??

CBZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalBin View Post
    Did you listen to the recent podcast on Vital MTB?
    I thought it was really interesting.
    I started listening... gona take me a while to make it through all 3.5 hrs!

Might have to buy the 11-6 after listening to Darren for that long

CBZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hellmountain View Post
    Anyone knows What the weight is on the comp carbon stock wheels??
    New Stumpjumper has been launched-2019-sj-stock-wheels.jpg

Weights from my 2019 comp carbon wheels (with tires and inner-tubes, no cassette, no discs)

2.22kg Front (Butcher Grid) / 2.43kg Rear (Purgatory Grid)

FWIW, weights on my SC Reserves (2oz stans no tubes, no cassette, no discs)

1.97kg front (DHF EXO 2.5) / 1.92kg rear (Agressor 2.3)

CBZ

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. Can we assume the weight is around 2400-2500 then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hellmountain View Post
    Thanks. Can we assume the weight is around 2400-2500 then?
    It was north of 2200g with my previous generation (2016) Carbon Comp wheels. Don't know about the current models.

Gesendet von meinem Moto Z2 Play mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm helping my buddy install a Fox DPX2 210x55 on this 2019 Stumperjumper ST29 (he has the LT yoke). The DPX2 he bought does not have shock/mount bushings; does anyone know what kit he needs in order to install the DPX2 on the frame?

I believe bought this kit:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ece-aluminum-2

which was suggest by a bike shop and he had that it installed. However, it is too wide for the frame and the inner diameter is much larger than the mounting hardware.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    hello,

for the Fox bushing I donít know, my TTX Air came directly with the good mounts hardware. However - donít know if it helps - but normally the DPX2 should be 210x50 on a LT SJ.

regards

ride for fun
    Thinking of switching my stumpy back to st. Anyone interested in trading an lt fox dps performance with yoke for a like model st? Not interested in the x fusion already have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    has anyone got all the bearing sizes for the new stumpy ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Not really

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Why not? What do you need??

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Do you mean OD = 21, ID = 12 = 6801.
    OD = 24, ID = 12 = 6901.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    yes that sort of thing. the bearing numbers and quantity for each pivot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    actually i apologize thats brilliant!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Now this looks very interesting...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...=271542-173584

It's a limited edition Downieville 29er. The interesting part is that the suspension has been increased to 140mm at the front and 130mm at the back by using a 190x45mm shock instead of the 190x42.5mm usually found on the ST's. I'd been wondering about trying this when I get round to replacing my O2 shock and by altering the Recon to 140mm when I service that (probably next month).

So it looks like the Stumpy has another config we can try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    interestingly its got the new rear seatstay, id be interested to know what other changes have happened?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    what are the differences between old and new seat stays?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks like the the new chainstays only apply to the carbon models. I would think strengthening rather than tyre clearance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ive noticed that they are running 2.3 rears now as well.

im guessing its like the evo one so a couple more bearings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I like this LTD Edition Stumpy. I'm going to demo a carbon ST for a couple days and if I like it I'm going to order one. Spec'd rather nicely...

Always had a soft spot for a Stumpy, went with a Pivot 5.5 for the last two years and now I'm ready for a 29er and this could be the one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone notice the geometry chart on the LTB Pemberton Edition 27.5?

Is it a mistake? The medium is showing 455 reach. Is it a completely different chassis? Would be rad if they adjusted the sizing. Always thought the medium felt small for its size.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Anyone notice the geometry chart on the LTB Pemberton Edition 27.5?

Is it a mistake? The medium is showing 455 reach. Is it a completely different chassis? Would be rad if they adjusted the sizing. Always thought the medium felt small for its size.

The numbers look the same to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmore_mtb View Post
    The numbers look the same to me.
    Check out the chart. 455 in a medium. Looks like they are just changing the sizing scale.

Pemberton LTD 27.5

Standard 27.5

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-paa5pjd.jpg  

New Stumpjumper has been launched-1aepiqa.jpg  

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Check out the chart. 455 in a medium. Looks like they are just changing the sizing scale.

Pemberton LTD 27.5

Standard 27.5

Ahh, I was looking at the 29er version. Yeah thatís got to be a mistake.

mtbr member
    Sorry if this has been addressed in here,
    Is the link, rearward axle path, flat suspension curve (ha), and aggressive #'s of the 2020 Enduro going to trickle down to this model year stumpy?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Well this was my third day on the bike. I am 100% sold on 29ers. I'm not a pro or ex-pro but I can tell the difference coming from my Mach 5.5. I thought my riding buds were jerking me around about the my small wheels (27.5) but it carries momentum and speed more than I was expecting.

I'm also 90% sold on the Stumpy. I demo'd the ST expert and for a 30lb sled it pedaled fantastic, seated and out of the saddle. The other notable thing I noticed was the snappy feel, steered better than my 5.5, maybe the 67 degree HT angle...IDK?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I've got a large ST 29. In the low setting with a 130mm fork with 51mm offset I did not like this bike at all. Couldn't get the front to bite in turns or hold a line. Wandered on climbs and just felt, for lack of a better word, vague.

I put it in the high setting, then swapped out the Fox 34 with a Fox 36 at 140mm of travel and 44 mm offset and now I love the bike. It tracks better in corners, I can feel the front tire traction now, it climbs better, more stable at high speeds. Overall just a completely better bike. The difference was night and day.

Personally, I think all new 29ers should come spec'd with reduced offset forks, not just slacked out bikes. But that's just me. Honestly, I think you would love the bike with a reduced offset fork.
    I suggest a lot of that change was due to high vs low setting you made. As for tracking I suggest dropping the bars would similarly improve that. I have 51mm offset 160mm 2019 lyric on my stumpy running in low mode and absolutely love it

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Pulled the trigger and picking up the LTD Edition tomorrow after work. Put on Roval carbon hoops with the 240 internals, Ground Control on the rear, 1295 cassette, Enve bars. Going to give the Lyrik a try but probably switch to a Pike Ultimate.We shall see...

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    I've been trying to figure out if the fork and shock on the Downieville are based on the 2019 or 2020 version. There seems to be some differences of description between the Specialized version and the 2020 aftermarket version (other than the travel).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    New Stumpjumper has been launched-ca930ae2-a132-4c22-af0f-259984346295.jpg

After only 600km, first mech' problem : the NX derailleur upper pulley literally flew away during a not so chunky descent while I wanted to pedal a little bit.
    In the process, the cage has been bent badly
    I was not able to find the upper pulley on the trial sides and I was forced to go back home on a single speed ...

After inspection, I noticed that the lower pulley was not screwed tightly and that there was no lock it. So I guess it was the same for the upper pulley.
    The most irritating part is that the bike was just out of a bike shop revision ....

I got another NX derailleur for the short term (still need to install it) but I plan to change the whole transmission for the 12sp XT/SLX Shimano groupset (including xt trail wheels) soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaack77 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA930AE2-A132-4C22-AF0F-259984346295.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	1284511

After only 600km, first mech' problem : the NX derailleur upper pulley literally flew away during a not so chunky descent while I wanted to pedal a little bit.
    I was not able to find the upper pulley on the trial sides and I was forced to go back home on a single speed ...

After inspection, I noticed that the lower pulley was not screwed tightly and that there was no lock it. So I guess it was the same for the upper pulley.
    The most irritating part is that the bike was just out of a bike shop revision ....

I got another NX derailleur for the short term (still need to install it) but I plan to change the whole transmission for the 12sp XT/SLX Shimano groupset (including xt trail wheels) soon.
    Been there done that on 2 separate occasions. Unfortunately the first time it happened my der got dragged into my wheel and took out a bunch of spokes. The second time was halfway through TeamsBC 6 day enduro, which also sucked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    I've been trying to figure out if the fork and shock on the Downieville are based on the 2019 or 2020 version. There seems to be some differences of description between the Specialized version and the 2020 aftermarket version (other than the travel).
    Different in which way? I don't think there is going to be any difference between the two years since the big change last year...

Now the fork is OEM because you cannot buy a 140mm Lryik (or Select +) aftermarket, the shock is OEM also (Deluxe Select +) but the linkage and yoke allow for a 45mm stroke vs the standard ST 42.5mm to bump it to 130mm rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    Different in which way? I don't think there is going to be any difference between the two years since the big change last year...

Now the fork is OEM because you cannot buy a 140mm Lryik (or Select +) aftermarket, the shock is OEM also (Deluxe Select +) but the linkage and yoke allow for a 45mm stroke vs the standard ST 42.5mm to bump it to 130mm rear.
    Is it a completely different link + yoke or just running the same length shock with a spacer removed? Looks like the length of the shock is exactly the same. Just a bit more stroke.

Theoretically, we can make our own by removing the spacer and getting a new airshaft on most ST bikes right?

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Not 100% sure but I think that would be correct. The shocks are the same length 190mm just different stroke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've developed a clicking sound on my ST. Bike shop put on a new bottom bracket. Didn't fix it. New headset. Didn't fix it. They did some other stuff that didn't work. Getting expensive chasing this creak. How difficult is it to take apart the pivots and service the bearings? Could an average Joe do the job with simple tools?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I've developed a clicking sound on my ST. Bike shop put on a new bottom bracket. Didn't fix it. New headset. Didn't fix it. They did some other stuff that didn't work. Getting expensive chasing this creak. How difficult is it to take apart the pivots and service the bearings? Could an average Joe do the job with simple tools?
    Just while pedaling?
    Earlier someone in this thread had a creak while pedaling....said a Specialized rep told them to grease the shock mount/flip chip.
    Mine did the same, greasing the flip chip fixed it.

It never sounded like it came from there....but it did.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It's a really strange sound. It sounds more like a tick or tap. It's not a squeak or high pitched creak. It starts when pedalling, when I'm putting force on the pedals up hill. When I start a ride it's quiet, then I hear it here and there when I'm putting down force. It starts becoming more frequent as my ride progresses. Before too long, I'm hearing this ticking sound pretty frequently, and once I hear it a lot, it sometimes happens even on flats when I'm not pedalling. It very frustrating, and so far expensive.

I will definitely try greasing the shock mounts and flip chip. I've never touched the flip chip (still in high from when I bought it) so maybe it needs some love.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    @Richulr... I had a mystery sound too recently. Turned out it was the rear axle. I thought I had tightened it enough (by hand) but the book (and this forum) say it should be 15nm, which is crazy tight. But it stopped the noise.
    I bought a cheap torque wrench from CRC which did the job. But if you don't have one just use a normal allen wrench and tighten the crap out of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ticking wise ive had a lot of noise from a dry (working but not greased in the cups) headset.

also a loose hub axle (not rear axle)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andybrad View Post
    ticking wise ive had a lot of noise from a dry (working but not greased in the cups) headset.

also a loose hub axle (not rear axle)
    Same here. Clean and regrease headset. Lube both wheel axles with some grease, and tighten properly. Make sure bolt to flip chip is tight. Clean and tighten seat post and seat. Also, front shock busing can wear out, but this will be heard over small bumps and also when lifting bike off the ground.

I did have a few noises during summer, but they've magically all disappeared now that it's proper cold (-3C on my last tide), so something probably tightens when it's cold, eliminating squeaks. Only good thing about riding in the cold, though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    My friend believes that a 170mm fork on the Stumpy 29 will turn it into the perfect shred sled. Anyone think thatís a bad idea?
    head angle will slacken slightly, but the bottom bracket will raise and reach will be reduce if only a smidget.

its always a compromise, so not perfect, what you gain in downhill confidence you might lose in manoeuvrability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack88 View Post
    head angle will slacken slightly, but the bottom bracket will raise and reach will be reduce if only a smidget.

its always a compromise, so not perfect, what you gain in downhill confidence you might lose in manoeuvrability.
    Ooft... the max recommended fork travel on the Stumpy 29er is 150mm. You'd be looking at a 65.5 degree head angle. Might be nice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ive got a 160 fork on mine and its fine. I think you might struggle uphill with 170

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zaack77 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA930AE2-A132-4C22-AF0F-259984346295.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	1284511

Happened to mine as well, but it was the lower pulley wheel. Last SS of an enduro race, completely wrecked the mech and hanger. Lots of people have experienced these bolts falling out.

My LBS managed to get a new mech from SRAM on warranty, but I upgraded to GX since the NX seems to be made for those who don't ride much or hard

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Check that the derailleur hanger is tight.

Also had ticking on mine that turned out to be the yoke rubbing on the linkage. I know specialized had a revised yoke out there that material was machined away to remove the interference. Same part number and everything.

Hope that helps

New Stumpjumper has been launched-59139714048__a2f72834-f59e-440e-8182-42fe919326db.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    yea you right i never noticed that.

does anyone know if the new 2020 model is a different yoke?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    It's a really strange sound. It sounds more like a tick or tap. It's not a squeak or high pitched creak. It starts when pedalling, when I'm putting force on the pedals up hill. When I start a ride it's quiet, then I hear it here and there when I'm putting down force. It starts becoming more frequent as my ride progresses. Before too long, I'm hearing this ticking sound pretty frequently, and once I hear it a lot, it sometimes happens even on flats when I'm not pedalling. It very frustrating, and so far expensive.

I will definitely try greasing the shock mounts and flip chip. I've never touched the flip chip (still in high from when I bought it) so maybe it needs some love.
    Completely random - check the little cable anchors for the derailleur cable screwed into your chain stay section of frame. I had one loose after a few rides, and it clicked/tapped until tightened.

New Stumpjumper has been launched-2019-10-10_11-36-59.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll add that every time I have had a creaking/clicking sound on a recent bike it has always been related to either rear axle or derailleur bolt. On my Stumpy it turned out that the derailleur hanger was not fully tapped. So even when the axle bolt had the proper torque, it was not translating into clamping force. This also damaged the threads on the axle bolt. I had my shop order a new bolt and hanger which fixed it completely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My 2019 stumpy comp alloy developed a creaking under high load recently.
    Thats how i tried to fix it:

Rear axle - tightened
    Seatpost, seat tube - cleaned
    Casette removed, cleaned, lubed, tightened
    Derailer and hanger - removed, cleaned, tightened
    Headset - removed fork cleaned, lubed
    Bottle caged - tightened
    Shock and yoke - removed, cleaned hardware, tightened
    Bottom bracket funnel insert - removed, cleaned, reinstalled
    Suspension bolts in bottom bracket area - reinstalled, tightened
    Cable guide insert in chainstay - tightened

The creaking was still there.
    The only spots remaining where the other 3 pairs of bolts in the rear triangle and the bottom bracket.

After i finally got the sram dub bb tool, i removed the bottom bracket and noticed right away that it was torqued way below spec, and the threads were rather dry.
    I greased and reinstalled the bottom bracket and the creaking was gone.

I guess someone did a crappy job asembling the bike, well done specialized. Their premium prices do not reflect in premium quality.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    has anyone fitted a 210x52.5 shock on a standard SJ 29?
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Need some advise, I have the opportunity to change the rear shock on my carbon comp 29r stumpy from the stock DPX to a DPX2 from a 27.5 stumpy evo. Any negative effects or potential problems any of you more knowledgeable folks can think of? The fork has already been replaced with a Fox36 Grip2 160mm. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Got some rides on the LTD Edition ST now. After I got over the "placebo effect" of the new bike is so great, I've come to realize I made a really good choice. Absolutely love this thing.

Made the changes I noted above and got it to 28.8 lbs. It certainly pedals lighter than that, its quite snappy. The 140/130 suspension seems perfect. The Lyric is a keeper, I like how it tracks and the 42mm offset makes it steer rather nicely. The only other change is I've ordered a PUSH HC97 damper upgrade to bring out the best in this fork.

On a side note which has nothing to do with performance, the bike is good looking in person. I've gotten compliments from everybody who has seen it. The couple of subdued and the non-existant over the top graphics are what really enhances the look of the bike.

Looking forward to this weekend, it is going to be beautiful here in W PA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Happened to mine as well, but it was the lower pulley wheel. Last SS of an enduro race, completely wrecked the mech and hanger. Lots of people have experienced these bolts falling out.

My LBS managed to get a new mech from SRAM on warranty, but I upgraded to GX since the NX seems to be made for those who don't ride much or hard
    My LBS finally send it back to the SRAM service center.
    We will see what's next ....

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    Hey gdb85 (or anybody),
    Does that Lyrik have both the HSC (5 clicks) and LSC (20 clicks) damper adjustment knobs, or just the LSC with a preset HSC. I can't really tell by the photos online. Is it a dumbed down fork, or the latest and greatest?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mczen View Post
    Need some advise, I have the opportunity to change the rear shock on my carbon comp 29r stumpy from the stock DPX to a DPX2 from a 27.5 stumpy evo. Any negative effects or potential problems any of you more knowledgeable folks can think of? The fork has already been replaced with a Fox36 Grip2 160mm. Thanks.
    I'd say go for the dpx2. No reason not to, other than hit to wallet! It will pair nice with 36. I have the 2019 lyrik 160mm on front of mine and considering dpx2 or dvo topaz

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Hey gdb85 (or anybody),
    Does that Lyrik have both the HSC (5 clicks) and LSC (20 clicks) damper adjustment knobs, or just the LSC with a preset HSC. I can't really tell by the photos online. Is it a dumbed down fork, or the latest and greatest?
    Not the latest greatest, LSC with preset HSC. Does have the 2.1 damper so I had a PUSH HC97 installed and it is bringing out the best in the fork. I really like how it tracks, little stiffer and a little heavier than a PIKE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have loved my Ď19 black alloy comp. Is it too early to speculate what the 2021 bike will look like? I figure maybe we will see it this Spring...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Haven't been able to read through yet, so apologies if this has been covered already.

Anyone know if 29" wheels could fit on a 27.5" frame? I would like the 1 degree slacker HTA (65.5 vs 66.5) and ~1 degree steeper STA (74.6 vs 73.7).

Could see 29" wheels with 2.3" tires for trails and 27.5" wheels with 2.6" tires for the park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
    Anyone know if 29" wheels could fit on a 27.5" frame?
    According to the manual (pg 2, sec. 4.2), the frames differ for the 27.5" vs. 29". I have read through a bunch of posts and I have not seen any mention of fitting a 29" tire on the 27.5" frame. You can do the opposite though, a 27.5" will fit on the 29" frame, it's in that same section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
    Haven't been able to read through yet, so apologies if this has been covered already.

Anyone know if 29" wheels could fit on a 27.5" frame? I would like the 1 degree slacker HTA (65.5 vs 66.5) and ~1 degree steeper STA (74.6 vs 73.7).

Could see 29" wheels with 2.3" tires for trails and 27.5" wheels with 2.6" tires for the park.
    You could also go the "mullet" route with a 29 up front and keep your stock rear wheel. This might be perfect for trails and the park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mullet could be interesting. Still would hopefully eventually get two sets of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoboy View Post
    According to the manual (pg 2, sec. 4.2), the frames differ for the 27.5" vs. 29". I have read through a bunch of posts and I have not seen any mention of fitting a 29" tire on the 27.5" frame. You can do the opposite though, a 27.5" will fit on the 29" frame, it's in that same section.
    Not much point in putting 27.5 wheels on a 29 frame, I'd want the 27.5 frame for the slacker HTA/steeper STA.

It's a different frame, but in the Evo thread someone built a 29'r on a 27.5 frame and reported no issues (with even longer stroke shock). Would definitely want to check clearance in a shop before buying some nice I9 Hydra wheels.
    Last edited by Birddog07; 12-24-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    I've got an Expert 29er and thinking of some mods, brakes and maybe the Rock Shox Megneg . Has anyone out the megneg on? Is it even a good idea with our suspension platform?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JTK37 View Post
    I've got an Expert 29er and thinking of some mods, brakes and maybe the Rock Shox Megneg . Has anyone out the megneg on? Is it even a good idea with our suspension platform?
    I have one installed, but only have one ride on it. I had to go down to one token because I wasnít getting close to the end of my travel. From what I understand, the megneg should be well suited for the stump jumper since it is supposed to be great for linear suspension designs. I mainly bought it to add more bottom out progression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bmore_mtb View Post
    I have one installed, but only have one ride on it. I had to go down to one token because I wasnít getting close to the end of my travel. From what I understand, the megneg should be well suited for the stump jumper since it is supposed to be great for linear suspension designs. I mainly bought it to add more bottom out progression.
    I thought the meg nag made it more linear not less?

so more likely to bottom out?

Id be interested in knowing how people have found the new fox on the expert compared to the debonair?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I swapped my base alloy over to 29 in wheels. Had to change the front fork but it was no hassle in the rear. The head tube is quite a bit longer on the 27.5 version though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by andybrad View Post
    I thought the meg nag made it more linear not less?

so more likely to bottom out?

Id be interested in knowing how people have found the new fox on the expert compared to the debonair?
    "The MegNeg provides a big increase in negative air spring volume, which (coupled with the resulting positive pressure increase) adds mid-stroke support, gives a plusher initial feel, and adds more bottom-out support using fewer tokens...This typically works well with bikes having more linear spring curves. Riders on very progressive bikes will find that MegNeg adds more mid-stroke support than a rider might prefer."

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/20...Update-an,2657

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I was wondering if any suspension guru can tell me if I will notice much of a difference from Stock DPS evol with RX tune vs a Dpx2 evol with the EVO tune?

Ive found a dpx2 with evo tune 210x50 that I want to purchase for my stumpjumper LT 2019. But When I got the fox code for it it said EVO tuned.

So my question is what is the difference between the RX tune and the EVO one?

Is it so much of a difference or not?
    Specialized Stumpjumper 19 Carbon with lotsa mods

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by serious1 View Post
    I swapped my base alloy over to 29 in wheels. Had to change the front fork but it was no hassle in the rear. The head tube is quite a bit longer on the 27.5 version though.
    Hey,
    I just did the same thing, basically. I just bought a 27.5"+/29" fork, but just haven't gotten it yet. I also bought 27.5 x 2.8 tires so I can switch between the two sizes.

How do you like it so far?

mtbr member
    I picked up a fox36 to throw on my ST.
    Is it possible to remove the torque caps on our specialized front hubs?
    Last edited by mr_manny; 02-25-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Contact Spesh and let them know what you are doing, they should be able to accommodate you. I'm sure the hubs they spec are used on different models that use FOX forks also.

mtbr member
    Called my local spec shop...but they may have forgotten about me, as no call back.

I figured out that the torque caps are held in place by O-rings.

After some persuasive wiggling back-and-forth, they popped off.
    If my front hub was cleaner (especially around the end-cap area), they might have been easier to remove.

It's nice to know they are removable...and I need to do a better job of cleaning my Stumpy
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Called my local spec shop...but they may have forgotten about me, as no call back.

I figured out that the torque caps are held in place by O-rings.

After some persuasive wiggling back-and-forth, they popped off.
    If my front hub was cleaner (especially around the end-cap area), they might have been easier to remove.

It's nice to know they are removable...and I need to do a better job of cleaning my Stumpy
    Thanks for the info. I obviously hadn't been 'wiggling' mine enough. I'll give it another try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I apologize for the lack of clarity in my post. I did not realize you were unaware that the end caps were able to be changed...

mtbr member
    No worries gdb85.
    In hindsight, it makes sense that they would be removable.

So looking forward to upgrading to a nice fork
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't have time to research bikes anymore, but getting back into riding. Thinking about going to grab a 2020 stumpjumper today or tomorrow, but curious what the consensus is on the design cycle? Will there be a new one soon? I brought one a few years ago, then a couple months later it was redesigned. Would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    There have been comments regarding when the new enduro design will trickle down to the stumpjumper.

As to when, your guess is as good as mine.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm leaning towards getting the 2020 stumpjumper 29 ($2720 msrp)... I noticed the one I like doesn't have a lockout on the rear shock. I've always locked out the rears on my bikes as we have long extended climbs where I ride. Looks like I can just buy any 210x150 rear shock. Searching, I don't see lots of info on this. Whats a good reasonably priced rear shock with lockout for this bike? Also, some sites list the shock size in inches, converting the mm to inches, it doesn't line up with any shock options, so I'm guessing all of those are off the table? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
    I'm leaning towards getting the 2020 stumpjumper 29 ($2720 msrp)... I noticed the one I like doesn't have a lockout on the rear shock. I've always locked out the rears on my bikes as we have long extended climbs where I ride. Looks like I can just buy any 210x150 rear shock. Searching, I don't see lots of info on this. Whats a good reasonably priced rear shock with lockout for this bike? Also, some sites list the shock size in inches, converting the mm to inches, it doesn't line up with any shock options, so I'm guessing all of those are off the table? Thanks in advance.
    The drivetrain spec on the 29 model is not great (SX). If you can spring for the extra then the Comp Alloy 29 is much better. While NX is heavy it is not plastic and should last a lot longer. The Comp also comes with a better fork and rear shock with a 3 position switch. BTW The shocks you're seeing in inches are not suitable as they're not the newer metric design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    The drivetrain spec on the 29 model is not great (SX). If you can spring for the extra then the Comp Alloy 29 is much better. While NX is heavy it is not plastic and should last a lot longer. The Comp also comes with a better fork and rear shock with a 3 position switch. BTW The shocks you're seeing in inches are not suitable as they're not the newer metric design.
    This is good advice, thank you. I've been down the road of spending less initially, then spending way more to get what I want. I'll take that advice and go with the comp. I didn't realize the drivetrains were different.

Is the NX 1x12 reliable? I hate when a bike is down, part of the reason I hung onto the current ride (2x10) this long was for the initial 1x issues to be completely sorted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have less than a year on my alloy comp, so I can't comment on reliability (even though it's been just fine for me), but the NX cassette is actually the strongest, most durable 12 speed cassette Sram makes.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ive been looking at either a ST or LT expert or comp carbon for a while now. How do the fox dps and rockshock rear shocks perform for heavier riders? Ive read reviews that the fox dps requires very high psi for heavier riders. Im just trying to figure out if these shocks work out well for most people or they are a weak spot in the spec.

RAKC
    Depends on your classification of a heavy rider. I'm 290 and ya regardless of the shock my pressure is high. Installing a DHX2 coil next week. Could I ride on the stock shock, I have been, but it's more the damper tuning I dont care for. Having trouble getting a right feel in the rear. But that is ME, not something against fox. This is my first FS bike that I have owned. Ridden demos/loaners a lot though.

Haven't ridden the rockshox version rear really besides parking lot/curb test ride just to check frame size fit before ordering mine.

I will say the new fox shocks on these are TONS BETTER even on the base level that has fox rear than what fox was giving brands a few years ago. Actual mid stroke support does exist and damper adjustments actually do something.

Dont worry about pressure, they are rated to 350psi now, unless your way heavier than me it wont be an issue. I would be putting a fox air shock on, higher tiered one if I wasnt getting a sweet deal on the coil shock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Depends on your classification of a heavy rider. I'm 290 and ya regardless of the shock my pressure is high. Installing a DHX2 coil next week. Could I ride on the stock shock, I have been, but it's more the damper tuning I dont care for. Having trouble getting a right feel in the rear. But that is ME, not something against fox. This is my first FS bike that I have owned. Ridden demos/loaners a lot though.

Haven't ridden the rockshox version rear really besides parking lot/curb test ride just to check frame size fit before ordering mine.

I will say the new fox shocks on these are TONS BETTER even on the base level that has fox rear than what fox was giving brands a few years ago. Actual mid stroke support does exist and damper adjustments actually do something.

Dont worry about pressure, they are rated to 350psi now, unless your way heavier than me it wont be an issue. I would be putting a fox air shock on, higher tiered one if I wasnt getting a sweet deal on the coil shock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Unless I'm missing something, you would be exceeding 350 PSI by a large margin with the factory shock. I'm 245, and using specializeds set up guide on their website (which I found to be dead-on in the rear) it tells me my pressure should be 334 PSI. That only leaves 16 PSI before you reach the max.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not finding much info on this. Does anyone know if the alloy comp sj come with DT internals on the traverse wheels? The aftermarket traverse do but I can't tell if the ones that come on the comp do or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not finding much info on this. Does anyone know if the alloy comp sj come with DT internals on the traverse wheels? The aftermarket traverse do but I can't tell if the ones that come on the comp do or not.
    I think the hubs are pretty basic non-DT Swiss units. In saying that my OE wheelset have only a little tweak once in three years. Here's some info I got from rovaljoe in April 2017 (who seems to have since disappeared from the forums): ...the only component of the wheels that are the same are the rims. Front hub, rear hub, spokes, and nipples are all different between the AM and OE wheels...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My 2019 certainly didn't have DT internals. If it did, I would have kept them.

mtbr member
    ride me 27.5 stumpy with a fox 36 grip2 170mm super nice!

New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_9013.jpgi
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Two Wheel Sizes

New Stumpjumper has been launched-stumpjumper-29.pngNew Stumpjumper has been launched-stumpjumper-27.5.pngHad a 170mm 27.5 fork on mine, but switched to a 150mm 27.5+/29 fork so I can run both wheel sizes. I run 27.5 x 2.8 or 29 x 2.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thats a 27.5 frame and you switched fork and both wheels to get 29?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    Thats a 27.5 frame and you switched fork and both wheels to get 29?
    Yep. I like the bigger wheels for riding flatter trails and long rides, and the smaller wheels for riding more technical trails and Bike Parks.
    The chainstay length on the 27.5 is 440mm, on the 29 frame its 443mm. Not much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    Yep. I like the bigger wheels for riding flatter trails and long rides, and the smaller wheels for riding more technical trails and Bike Parks.
    The chainstay length on the 27.5 is 440mm, on the 29 frame its 443mm. Not much of a difference.
    Smart.
    I'm 5'10" and would have preferred a slightly longer ST.

I bet you regularly stay at a Holiday Inn Express :P
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ha!
    I'm also 5'10". The past two bikes I had were both 29ers, but seemed too big and not very fun to ride. So I went back down to a 27.5
    After I got the Stumpy I realized that it can fit 29" wheels no problem. I already had a pair of 29" Roval wheels so I bought the bigger fork and now can run both. Now it seems like I have the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Threw a Fox36 on the stumpy this morning...140mm.
    Should be night and day, compared to the previous fork - Revelation.

I'll probably switch my ST to an LT down the road...can't have 2 short travel 29ers

I already have a 150 air-shaft, so all I need is the rear shock and yoke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-29ers-01.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Nice stable Mr Manny looking forward to hear your thoughts after LT conversion. I have a dvo diamond up front now and thinking of eventually getting a matching topaz with LT conversion.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Looking at a Stumpjumper SWorks 29" ST and a Pivot Trail 429 Team XTR.
    Does anybody have input as to how one is over the other for XC riding?
    No jumps or drops but roots and rocks. Coming from more of XC riding/racing background including single speeding but looking for something that will climb well too.
    Thank You!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Looking at a Stumpjumper SWorks 29" ST and a Pivot Trail 429 Team XTR.
    Does anybody have input as to how one is over the other for XC riding?
    No jumps or drops but roots and rocks. Coming from more of XC riding/racing background including single speeding but looking for something that will climb well too.
    Thank You!
    I can't provide input on either of those but one thing to consider are the 2 camps; XC bike with more chops or trail bike with lighter go fast parts. An XC bike will never have the stability of a trail bike nor the weight. A trail bike will never have the poppyness and quickness of an XC bike. You may want to try the latest series of XC bikes with a 120mm fork. There's a slew of them.

From my personal experience, I have multiple Epics, a Stumpjumper LT, Scott Spark RC, and a Yeti SB130LR. Every time I hop on the Spark RC or Epic, it's just so much fun how quick and lively it is. Of course, it doesn't exude the confidence of the SJ or SB down a jank trail but that's to be expected. I have a tendency to prefer the quicker, lighter under foot feel. Take a look at the Scott Spark or Top Fuel. I'm a little more sensitive to weighty bikes. Both the SJ and the 429 will be 28 lbs. That will never go away.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Very good points, thank you for the input. I agree with you that I like the feel of a quicker and livelier XC bike. I had an Epic that was a little soft for my riding and I could not get along with the Brain suspension. I will check out some 120mm XC rides. I do like the S Works ST 29 Stumpjumper, I was hopeful/wondering that it would be the ride I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I have 2019 stumpy ST. This was the $1800ish price point that doesn't seem to be offered any longer. I have the Xfusion rear shock, 190mm x 42.5. It is now leaking. not sure if related to a full suspension service I had done last Fall. At any rate, I want to purchase a new shock. Any suggestions for something with emphasis on ease of swap - without changing geometry of ride? has anybody upgraded before? thanks.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Stumpjumper 2019 ST expert wheels

After a year finally decided to upgrade the hubs on the ST expert with DT 240s that I had ordered for Christmas, I went with J-bend spokes because they are easy to build/mantain.

Original hubs weights F/R= 194g/355g

New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1629.jpgNew Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1628.jpg

DT 240s F/R = 149g/238g

New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1477.jpgNew Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1478.jpg

Final wheel build weight F/R = 890g/965g, total = 1855g

New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1636.jpgNew Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1638.jpg

that puts the original wheels at = 946g/1082g, total = 2028g (didn't weight them)

Now I need new tires

mtbr member
    Practicing social distancing by riding solo on XC trails for now.
    Snacking on guavas along the way never gets old
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-sm-stumpjumper02.jpg  

New Stumpjumper has been launched-sm-stumpjumper01.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Looking for input specifically on the Sworks 29" ST model.
    Does anybody have the weight and perhaps how the bike rides and climbs?
    Thx!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Looking for input specifically on the Sworks 29" ST model.
    Does anybody have the weight and perhaps how the bike rides and climbs?
    Thx!
    The stumpy has good traction but the pedal efficiency is lower than some other competitors.

The pivot bike has better pedal efficiency compared to the stumpy in that aspect.

Myself tho I own the stumpy LT carbon with some decent upgrades and I cant say I mind much. The bike is nice and feel planted.

If you want to read more about different bikes and how they behave depending on their linkage and design you can read here:

Linkage Design Its in spanish but you can translate it using the web browsers translation. Works fine for me.
    Specialized Stumpjumper 19 Carbon with lotsa mods

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789