Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,080 of 1080
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well after a couple months on the stumpy I've flipped back to low mode. I also now have 3 spacers under the stem and replaced the bars with 780mm nukeproof horizon carbon.

When I first got the bike I posted here complaining that in low mode the thing wandered badly on steep climbs and the front wheel would rise up badly. Now I'm not finding that even with the bars higher. Since then though, I've also slammed my seat right forward and had more experience on the bike. It's fine now! High is easier, but it's worth the advantage of ease to get the front end up for downhill etc

Also it is now very easy to raise the front up going over drops, wheelies and manuals. MUCH happer with the bike now

So yeah, for those that went with the high mode option, give low a try again with seat further forward and see how you go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It looks like the Specialized website no longer has the Stumpjumper Comp Alloy/Carbon Shimano builds listed, both are now only listed as 12 speed. Weird. They still show the ST Comp Alloy with SLX (not XT) though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I've had my Stumpy Expert LT Expert for about a month now and can form an opinion. In short, this bike shreds!

A little background: I've been riding for 25+ years, mostly XC type riding. My other 2 mtb's are an SC Tallboy and BH hardtail. This is my first Speshy. I like to climb, but love to descend as well. I feel as if I pushed my TB as far as I can comfortably take it at speeds and needed something bigger. On a recent trip to Kernville, I feel like I ran out brakes, suspension and perhaps talent. Enter the need for a bigger bike!

Onto my mini review. It took me awhile to get used to 2.6 tires, they are slow rolling going uphill. Combine that with no lockout on the fork, so can't stand and climb, left me questioning my decision. After a month of riding the Stumpy it has grown on me. I still don't love the way it climbs and long days in the saddle are a lot more taxing, but feel like I'm getting used to it or just getting stronger. I switched to the high setting and seems to climb better and hasn't effected the descending at all. I've dropped several PR's on descents and feel like I'm not even pushing the bike near it's limits.

Changes I made or will make. I swapped the cranks for XX1, and will swap carbon bars in 35mm. As I've gotten older (49) the carbon just seems to absorb shock much better for me. One of the shop guys said he put a 2.35 rear on it climbs much better without hurting on the descents. I may try that soon. The brakes seem adequate, but I haven't any other 4 pot designs and may look into those for enduro racing next year. The suspension? It works really well for descending and will just enjoy it for now. The dropper? No issues so far
    I really appreciate how quiet the bike is and how planted it feels. The stiffness of the frame and fork is just right, stiff enough to go where you point it in rough stuff, not so stiff that it's harsh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the 19 Stumpy St. The stock tires are pretty grippy but the rolling resistance is so high as soon as the bike turns uphill. Iím interested in 29 2.6 Nobby Nics or 2.6 Rekons. Lbs says Specialized is releasing 2.6 Fastrak and Ground Control in November. I live in SW Michigan which is a good mix of hardback, loose over hard, and sandtrap conditions. Anyone with some good 2.6 tire input? Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I've got 2.6 input. Sell them and put a normal 2.4 or 2.5 tire on there. Thank me later.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    [QUOTE=Blatant;13845558]Yeah, I've got 2.6 input. Sell them and put a normal 2.4 or 2.5 tire on there.
    I currently 2.3 stock tires and they roll slower than my fatbikeís 4.0 jumbo Jimís. Can you offer some real input?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I have chain sizing issues. Can anyone with a Large share of many links they kept? (30t ring, 11-46 Shimano cassette)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BishMTB View Post
    I have the 19 Stumpy St. The stock tires are pretty grippy but the rolling resistance is so high as soon as the bike turns uphill. Iím interested in 29 2.6 Nobby Nics or 2.6 Rekons. Lbs says Specialized is releasing 2.6 Fastrak and Ground Control in November. I live in SW Michigan which is a good mix of hardback, loose over hard, and sandtrap conditions. Anyone with some good 2.6 tire input? Thanks
    First, I have ridden and ride a lot on both a 18 Stumpy and a 17 Camber. Both bikes comp carbon 29, and more or less identical spec. I ride Tech natural singletrack, mixed with transport and typical XC trails, enduro, and lots of climbing. Both slow and fast stuff. Being Norway, it's never completely dry, and more often wet and slick. Roots, mud, sand, dirt, rock - everything you'd expect.

I'm a big fan of the Spesh tires. They are great value for the $, and I like how the sidewalls make them feel compared to say Maxxis. I run GRID casings, sometimes control up front for XC.

But - I only run 2.6 when the purpose of the ride is to go bananas downhill. (Butcher/Purgatory).

The go-to combo here for almost any type of riding (meaning, just pedal off into the unknown) is to run 2.3. Purgatory Grid front, Ground Control grid rear. The latest type of course (gripton compound). This combo actually rolls pretty great, and are light-ish, plus with tubeless setup they are solid. I keep two wheelsets, and the difference when swapping between my 2.3 and 2.6 combos are felt immediately. The weight & drag of the 2.6 bogs the bike down for anything that is not downhill.

Most of the other people I ride with, same style of riding, also run this combo, even if they are not on Specialized bikes. The purgatory up front works because its slightly rounded profile. Better grip on the off-camber hard stuff. The Butcher likes to dig in a bit to work IMO. We've got lots of off-camber wet rock face.

It did take me some time to realize that the Purg/GC combo was as good as it gets for me - I've spent way too much money on different tires, because I believed the difference to be much bigger than it actually is.

I suspect some of the resistance you feel on the climbs are more due to the impact of rotational weight rather than rolling resistance?

That said - if they do release the Ground Control in 2.6, I'd get it. The sheer bulk of those tires do boost confidence, even if I have to run Huck Norris wheel protection for the wheels to survice my confidence

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    First, I have ridden and ride a lot on both a 18 Stumpy and a 17 Camber. Both bikes comp carbon 29, and more or less identical spec. I ride Tech natural singletrack, mixed with transport and typical XC trails, enduro, and lots of climbing. Both slow and fast stuff. Being Norway, it's never completely dry, and more often wet and slick. Roots, mud, sand, dirt, rock - everything you'd expect.

I'm a big fan of the Spesh tires. They are great value for the $, and I like how the sidewalls make them feel compared to say Maxxis. I run GRID casings, sometimes control up front for XC.

But - I only run 2.6 when the purpose of the ride is to go bananas downhill. (Butcher/Purgatory).

The go-to combo here for almost any type of riding (meaning, just pedal off into the unknown) is to run 2.3. Purgatory Grid front, Ground Control grid rear. The latest type of course (gripton compound). This combo actually rolls pretty great, and are light-ish, plus with tubeless setup they are solid. I keep two wheelsets, and the difference when swapping between my 2.3 and 2.6 combos are felt immediately. The weight & drag of the 2.6 bogs the bike down for anything that is not downhill.

Most of the other people I ride with, same style of riding, also run this combo, even if they are not on Specialized bikes. The purgatory up front works because its slightly rounded profile. Better grip on the off-camber hard stuff. The Butcher likes to dig in a bit to work IMO. We've got lots of off-camber wet rock face.

It did take me some time to realize that the Purg/GC combo was as good as it gets for me - I've spent way too much money on different tires, because I believed the difference to be much bigger than it actually is.

I suspect some of the resistance you feel on the climbs are more due to the impact of rotational weight rather than rolling resistance?

That said - if they do release the Ground Control in 2.6, I'd get it. The sheer bulk of those tires do boost confidence, even if I have to run Huck Norris wheel protection for the wheels to survice my confidence
    I have the Butcher on front and Purgatory rear stock 2.3 tires. Never would have thought to go with purgatory up front. Something to think about. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BishMTB View Post
    Bontrager xr4 or xr5 2.6

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Has anyone converted their 2019 27.5 stumpy to be ST on the rear and LT on the fork?
    Ie 150mm up front but 130mm on rear?

I want the peddle efficiency and poppiness of ST but the geometry of the LT.

I am presuming it is the longer fork that makes the slacker head angle and not the yoke length?

Anyone tried offset bushing sucessfully?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Has anyone converted their 2019 27.5 stumpy to be ST on the rear and LT on the fork?
    Ie 150mm up front but 130mm on rear?

I want the peddle efficiency and poppiness of ST but the geometry of the LT.

I am presuming it is the longer fork that makes the slacker head angle and not the yoke length?

Anyone tried offset bushing sucessfully?

Thanks
    While I was waiting for the shock link to convert from the ST to the LT I rode 150 on the front and 120 in the back (29er). The 150 made the biggest difference in the feel of the bike. As far as peddling goes I didn't notice much of a difference between the 140 and 120 rear. The only time I really noticed more travel in the rear was when riding chunk, jumps, or drops. 150 on the front did slacken the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by agolz View Post
    While I was waiting for the shock link to convert from the ST to the LT I rode 150 on the front and 120 in the back (29er). The 150 made the biggest difference in the feel of the bike. As far as peddling goes I didn't notice much of a difference between the 140 and 120 rear. The only time I really noticed more travel in the rear was when riding chunk, jumps, or drops. 150 on the front did slacken the bike.
    Thats great info - thanks for your reply.
    I just wonder if getting the LT will be just too similar to my enduro.
    I see a demo coming on...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Thats great info - thanks for your reply.
    I just wonder if getting the LT will be just too similar to my enduro.
    I see a demo coming on...
    FWIW, I had a '17 Enduro which I replaced with the '19 Stumpy LT. They are very different. The Stumpy feels very poppy coming from the Enduro. It climbs way better and still kills it on the steep and gnarly. I personally don't see the purpose of the ST at least for my local terrain and riding style. I say go for the LT. Definitely give it a demo...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Has anyone with the 29"version switched their fork to a 160 mm? I have the 150 Pike right now and I was looking at changing the airspring to 160. The manual says that you can only use a 160 fork with the 27.5 version. 150 is the max travel allowed on the 29. Any idea why that is, would damage be more likely on an alloy frame?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I ran a 160 Lyrik for a few rides before bumping back down to 150. Overall 160 was fine, but ultimately I preferred 150.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a 160 fox 36 on my 29er. Itís great. Makes the bike 1/2 degree slacker. Puts it around 66 degree head angle. Sweet spot for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Speaking of changing forks... anyone know if it would be possible to replace wheels on a 29er with 27.5 wheels and increase fork (and possibly shock to 160mm)? I assume it would roughly have a similar BB clearance at that point?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I ran a 160 Lyrik for a few rides before bumping back down to 150. Overall 160 was fine, but ultimately I preferred 150.
    What is interesting is the 150mm Lyrik is similar to the 160mm Fox. So your kind of raking it out anyways. Thatís Evilís recommendations on their bikes. 150 RS or 160 Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone consider sizing up on the bike? I rode a medium and at 5' 7" on the fast stuff it felt kind of small. Crazy to size up to a large? Anyone done the same?
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I ride a medium and I'm 5 10

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    5'10" on a large

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Also 5'10" and stoked on my large ST.
    Revelation 140 fork, 40mm stem, 2.5F, 2.3R...pretty much perfect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-patio.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Also 5'10" and stoked on my large ST.
    Revelation 140 fork, 40mm stem, 2.5F, 2.3R...pretty much perfect
    Shes a beauty,I went Lt due to alot of lift downhills north of me.
    How do you like your tire changes I'm still running the stock but would like a faster tire for some flatter trail systems with climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agolz View Post
    Has anyone with the 29"version switched their fork to a 160 mm? I have the 150 Pike right now and I was looking at changing the airspring to 160. The manual says that you can only use a 160 fork with the 27.5 version. 150 is the max travel allowed on the 29. Any idea why that is, would damage be more likely on an alloy frame?
    Yep, I'm running a 160 Lyrik on my 29er. I tried the stock fox fork and a 150 Pike but prefer the 160 Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Thanks Shred79.
    For me, traction was more of a concern...over faster rolling.
    Initially I was interested in 2.6s, but the 2.5s are perfectly fine (and less $).

I also found the original 2.3s a bit on the narrow side.
    The 2.5s have a nicer profile on our original 29mm internal rims.

The profile of the Specialized Butcher/Purgatory tires are very close to Minions. If you want faster rolling, how about picking up a faster tire for the rear, giving you a spare front tire?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Also 5' 7", medium. Doesn't feel small, does feel fast. Maybe go ride a large in the type of terrain you like and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Picked it up today. Chameleon LT with DVO 160, Enve bar and stem, Roval SL Fattie carbons on 2.5F and 2.3R, Next SL G4 cranks and Eagle XO drivetrain. 28.15 lbs. Okay, letís call it 29! First ride this weekend, canít wait!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    specialized totally copied the orbea rallon with their new frame design. I know some poeple will desagree but that is what I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Knowing the lead time for product development, itís highly unlikely they copied. New stumpy would have been in development for a couple of years and key features like the side arm design would have been agreed early on in the process.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I started with a Stumpy ST 27.5 Expert the week it came out. I rode it for about a month and just couldn't get comfortable with it. I experimented with 29er wheels and it made the bike come alive. So I sold it and picked up a Comp 29 ST and switched all of the parts out minus the rear shock and brakes. The other difference was I installed a 120mm front fork in place of the 130mm travel fork. I was trying to build a bike comparable to the Camber I sold and absolutely loved.
    I was running the bike in the high setting at first and I felt way uncomfortable on steep technical descents. I felt like I was too far over the bar and the front wheel wanted to wash out. I changed to the low setting to slacken the head angle and what a difference that made. My confidence in this bike went from an 8 to 11.
    I recently took off the 2.3 Purgatory and Butcher tires and replaced them with Maxxis Ikons. The bike dropped a little over half a pound and the rolling resistance is waaaaaay less. Total weight without anything in the SWAT box is 25.7 lbs.
    I have a new XTR 9100 group on order and will install it as soon as I get it. I'm curios if the weight will go up, drop or stay the same.
    I'll post pictures as soon as I install it.

New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_6126.jpgNew Stumpjumper has been launched-img_6127.jpgNew Stumpjumper has been launched-img_6129.jpg
    Last edited by JOE2465; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:02 AM.
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert ST 27.5
    2018 Specialized Epic Pro FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE2465 View Post
    I started with Stumpy ST 27.5 Expert the week it came out. I rode it for about a month and just couldn't get comfortable with it. I experimented with 29er wheels and it made the bike come alive. So I sold it and picked up a Comp 29 ST and switched all of the parts out minus the rear shock and brakes. The other difference was I installed a 120mm front fork in place of the 130mm travel fork. I was trying to build a bike comparable to the Camber I sold and absolutely loved.
    I was running the bike in the high setting at first and I felt way uncomfortable on steep technical descents. I felt like I was too far over the bar and the front wheel wanted to wash out. I changed to to the low setting to slacken the head angle and what a difference that made. My confidence in this bike went from an 8 to an 11.
    I recently took off the 2.3 Purgatory and Butcher tires and replaced them with Maxxis Ikons. The bike dropped a little half a pound and the rolling resistance is waaaaaay less. Total weight without anything in the SWAT box is 25.7 lbs.
    I have a new XTR 9100 group on order and will install it as soon as I get it. I'm curios if the weight will go up, drop or stay the same.
    I'll post pictures as soon as I install it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6126.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	1221265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6127.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	1221266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6129.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	1221267

Digging your color way. That color on the comp is pretty sweet.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    Picked it up today. Chameleon LT with DVO 160, Enve bar and stem, Roval SL Fattie carbons on 2.5F and 2.3R, Next SL G4 cranks and Eagle XO drivetrain. 28.15 lbs. Okay, letís call it 29! First ride this weekend, canít wait!

That's a sweet lookin Stumpy, love the colors
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon
    - DT Swiss XRC 1200 Wheels
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    great lookig stumpj's!!

mine, alu comp.
    New Stumpjumper has been launched-caa0be3d-2142-44b9-8e51-a314b86e7d4d.jpg

ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE2465 View Post
    So I sold it and picked up a Comp 29 ST and switched all of the parts out minus the rear shock and brakes. The other difference was I installed a 120mm front fork in place of the 130mm travel fork. I was trying to build a bike comparable to the Camber I sold and absolutely loved.
    I was running the bike in the high setting at first and I felt way uncomfortable on steep technical descents. I felt like I was too far over the bar and the front wheel wanted to wash out. I changed to the low setting to slacken the head angle and what a difference that made. My confidence in this bike went from an 8 to 11.
    With the low setting, your back to the High Geo...because of your shorter 120mm fork.
    I went the opposite with a 140mm fork. I'm running in the High setting to achieve the Low Geo.

The Stumpy is my first bike that has this Geo changing design...I think it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Digging the color! Had a Santa Cruz Superlight that went from green to purple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still loving mine! Upgraded to Ebay Carbons (30/36mm and 240s), Eagle cassette and 2.5" DHF and Aggressor combo along w/ Cushcore rear only
    Replaced my trusty '13 Evo

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Has anyone built up a 29 with a shorter offset 44/42mm fork? Spec builds are all 51mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpengel View Post
    Has anyone built up a 29 with a shorter offset 44/42mm fork? Spec builds are all 51mm.
    The 51mm offset is outdated and goes back to the Gary Fisher G2 days when 29ers handled like crap and 70 degrees was considered slack. I don't know why makers are still using it on modern bikes, but it's changing quickly. Several friends have swapped to 44mm offsets on everything from XC to trail bikes and love it. My friend's new Tallboy handles much better with the 44 fork. I'm gonna be switching over both my Honzo and Enduro soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have 44 on both my stumpy and enduro. Pics are a couple of pages back.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I demoed a Comp carbon, and pretty impressed by this bike. The expert 29 in storm gray, is at the top of my list to replace my heavily upgraded 2013 Stumpjumper comp carbon ( 140 mm Pike fork, XTR brakes and rotors, Roval Control carbon wheels, X0 Crankset, Command post).
    But when I went to the Specialized website, I noticed the Expert 29 has been removed.
    It only shows the Expert available in 27.5 and ST. What is Specialized up to? Are they changing anything to the specs? I'd be very disappointed if the 29 gets discontinued.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    they take it off the website when low or out of stock. Not sure why.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Oh I see. I also noticed the colors on the comp has changed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    since there's a few 5'10 ppl on here either side of the medium/large divide, can you share inseams? 31.5' and thinking a large fits better but would be more assured with a shorter dropper

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    since there's a few 5'10 ppl on here either side of the medium/large divide, can you share inseams? 31.5' and thinking a large fits better but would be more assured with a shorter dropper
    Youíre 100% a large. This bike sizes small. Iím 5í 7Ē 30 inseam and borderline feel I like the large better. I get a steeper climbing angle by not having to have the seat way back. I can also ride it fine with the dropper slammed.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by XCman23 View Post
    specialized totally copied the orbea rallon with their new frame design. I know some poeple will desagree but that is what I think.
    Lol.

Actually, Orbea totally copied the Specialized Demo with their new frame design. I know some poeple (sic) will desagree (sic) but that is what I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcentrale View Post
    Lol.

Actually, Orbea totally copied the Specialized Demo with their new frame design. I know some poeple (sic) will desagree (sic) but that is what I think.
    Yea Iím surprise the big bully S hasnít sued Orbea...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    6'2 w/ 32" inseam and riding a L....but I do prefer a smaller bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I donít think there is a real divide. 5í10Ē=large. Specialized runs small anyway. At 5í10Ē myself a canít imagine riding a medium. Hopped on my girlfriendís med stumpy at it felt like a complete toy of a bike compared to the large.

Good article on why: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/size-matt...o-small-321374

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmonkey View Post
    I donít think there is a real divide. 5í10Ē=large. Specialized runs small anyway. At 5í10Ē myself a canít imagine riding a medium. Hopped on my girlfriendís med stumpy at it felt like a complete toy of a bike compared to the large.

Good article on why: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/size-matt...o-small-321374
    Agree, I donít think there is debate. I am 5.10.5Ē and itís L all the way. I would ride an XL before cramming myself into a medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    One of the reasons that I am riding Specialized is that they actually make a bike where my height is in the middle of the size and not on the edge of medium and large (trek)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    5'10 needs a large

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have a medium. At 5 11 and I have no major issues. If the sold the alloy frame I would get a large to switch out pending the ride.

mtbr member
    The AEFFECT cranks on my Comp Alloy came loose today.
    I found this diagram with torque specs:
    New Stumpjumper has been launched-img_1236.jpg
    61Nm is a lot of torque. Anyway, after I torqued them to spec I was not sure if I put the spacer (#3 in the diagram) on the right way so I took the crank off to make sure. I did not need a crank puller to get the crank off. It just came off with a gentle pull. Should it require a crank puller to remove these cranks? I don't know how long I rode it before I noticed the cranks were loose ...could this have caused damage to the splines?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Specialized SJ's are such that at 5'9.5" I ride a large and would be very uncomfortable with a medium. With a hardtail, such as my Specialized Chisel, I ride a medium and a large would be uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Loving the bike!

I have to agree that someone 5'-10" is most likely going to fit a large better than a medium. At 5'-10 1/2" I have 34" PBH and 29-1/4" saddle height with shorter torso/arms; I felt like I was going to fall over the bars on the medium. On my large with 40mm stem and 180 bars I feel the bike fits and handles great and the geometry puts me in a good position on the bike. I'm also running a 160mm fork and like the extra travel and slacker angle with chip in low position giving me a 66 degree HTA if i'm not mistaken. Loving the Stumpjumper and the Dropper post as it's my fist time running one. Cheers,
    Dan

Last edited by buffallodan; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I live in the Atlanta area and I am debating switching from LT to ST. I love the bike but have only had a chance to make it to north Georgia a few times recently, which is where this bike gets pushed a bit harder. Most of my riding is the local Atlanta trail systems with tight, twisty trails and short ups and downs. Think it would be worth a switch? I would hold onto the 150mm fork for future use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    I live in the Atlanta area and I am debating switching from LT to ST. I love the bike but have only had a chance to make it to north Georgia a few times recently, which is where this bike gets pushed a bit harder. Most of my riding is the local Atlanta trail systems with tight, twisty trails and short ups and downs. Think it would be worth a switch? I would hold onto the 150mm fork for future use.
    Have you tried flipping the chip?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    I live in the Atlanta area and I am debating switching from LT to ST...
    i'm north of ATL and ride the base alloy st 29er. I don't do any jumps or drops but try to go as fast as i can on the short downs and for general trail riding around here the st is perfect. On the contrary i keep thinking about converting to LT (140/140) as i want to explore the mountains! I spent a short time on the LT and the 2.6 tires was the biggest difference i noticed. Maybe flip the chip to high and put some 2.3s to see if you like that more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First ride on our Stumpjumper.

Hi everyone just back from my first proper ride on our new Stumpjumper, I say ours because I mainly brought it for my son to ride but hey I am allowed to live a little too

My local trails at the end of my street are very mellow, one fire road cut straight down the fall line has sections of rock steps and tree roots running wild. I normally avoid that trail on my hard tails but the Stumpy was telling me to give it a go

New Stumpjumper has been launched-dsc00162.jpg

After a few runs down I was nearly letting the brakes off, hey I'am skill deficient The faster it went the better it was, I will leave it to my son to push the bike harder than me.

As for riding the other mellow single track the bike is super quite and with the chip in the low setting more agile through the trees than I thought it would be. The only thing to make any nose on the bike, and this will probably only be an issue on the trails here in OZ that are covered in fallen dry Gum Tree leaves is after a few pedal strokes a few leaves will find their way into this gap in the swing arm.

New Stumpjumper has been launched-dsc00155.jpg

Where they buzz on the tyre, so I was having to check that it was not something like a stick that was going to do some damage. Not a big problem but on an otherwise silent bike its noticeable. Maybe I just need to ride faster to blow them out

Anyway the Stumpjumper is a blast to ride and had me moving faster than I have for years, without the feeling that it was going to spit me off at any stage.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone just back from my first proper ride on our new Stumpjumper, I say ours because I mainly brought it for my son to ride but hey I am allowed to live a little too

My local trails at the end of my street are very mellow, one fire road cut straight down the fall line has sections of rock steps and tree roots running wild. I normally avoid that trail on my hard tails but the Stumpy was telling me to give it a go

Name:	DSC00162.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	1223287

After a few runs down I was nearly letting the brakes off, hey I'am skill deficient The faster it went the better it was, I will leave it to my son to push the bike harder than me.

As for riding the other mellow single track the bike is super quite and with the chip in the low setting more agile through the trees than I thought it would be. The only thing to make any nose on the bike, and this will probably only be an issue on the trails here in OZ that are covered in fallen dry Gum Tree leaves is after a few pedal strokes a few leaves will find their way into this gap in the swing arm.

Name:	DSC00155.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	1223288

Where they buzz on the tyre, so I was having to check that it was not something like a stick that was going to do some damage. Not a big problem but on an otherwise silent bike its noticeable. Maybe I just need to ride faster to blow them out

Anyway the Stumpjumper is a blast to ride and had me moving faster than I have for years, without the feeling that it was going to spit me off at any stage.

OZ.
    Get some mastic tape to make a little flap to cover the opening

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks mate will look into it, it will need to move with the swing arm though.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey guys! I need an advice. I'm looking for stumpjumper LT 27.5 and can't decide with sizing. My wife is 5'6" and between S and M (415/592 vs 435/596 reach/stack). What should i go for? Thinking of S but a bit worried it will be less stable. She wants to practice and start racing in near future

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 0p3x View Post
    Hey guys! I need an advice. I'm looking for stumpjumper LT 27.5 and can't decide with sizing. My wife is 5'6" and between S and M (415/592 vs 435/596 reach/stack). What should i go for? Thinking of S but a bit worried it will be less stable. She wants to practice and start racing in near future
    just gotta demo man. sometimes big bikes that are supposed to be more stable, based on the latest industry propaganda, just feel fking unwieldy.

i always felt more 'comfortable' on a smaller, more flickable bike. these things are inherently plenty stable.

the other variable is how agressive her riding style is and could evolve to be. this dictates stem length. you've got to be able to put a certain amount of weight over the front. the more aggressive you are, the shorter stem you 'can' run. if shes less aggressive overall, a shorter frame lets you run a longer stem to net the front-end grip that is so vital to safe shredding.

but also, ape index and all that plays into it. if she has short arms, that might mean she cant get her weight back far enough on the sketchy downs. so many variables man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sadly but no chance for demo. We may be overthinking this, but i feel like its gonna be her favourite bike in the next 5+ years (cuz its pink)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's everyone's thoughts on how the stumpy climbs? I am currently on a demo bike, 6ft 2 and on the XL. It's in the low setting with the stem sitting on only one spacer! Finding it tricky keeping grip on slow technical rocky climbs. It's wet and windy in the Lake District at the moment to be fair to the bike. I might pop it in the higher setting and see if this makes any difference. The bike rips downhill! Just want to find a happy medium......

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm also interested in those who have tried the high and low setting and see what they think/prefer.

mtbr member
    The flip-chip is a personal preference.

My ST arrived in the Low setting...I switched to the High, but felt more comfortable in Low. The High setting felt awkward, like I was going to go over the bars.

I'm 5'10" on a Large ST with a 40mm stem.

Did a 60K race that started with a 2,000meter climb...gratifying to pass hard-tails and carbon bikes on the way UP

Still stoked with my ST.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-bigrock.jpg  

Last edited by mr_manny; 6 Days Ago at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cumbriajason View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on how the stumpy climbs? I am currently on a demo bike, 6ft 2 and on the XL. It's in the low setting with the stem sitting on only one spacer! Finding it tricky keeping grip on slow technical rocky climbs. It's wet and windy in the Lake District at the moment to be fair to the bike. I might pop it in the higher setting and see if this makes any difference. The bike rips downhill! Just want to find a happy medium......
    Hi mate I am about your size riding an alloy XL and although my time on it has been brief and maybe my climbs are not as steep as yours, but I am enjoying the way it goes uphill. Riding in the low setting and half travel on the back shock and I find it no problem to keep the front end down.

One of my other bikes is a fat bike with 4.7 inch tyres that climbs anything, and I have been surprised how the SJ goes up. Hope the weather improves and you get the chance to ride some more. See my post 1060 above to see a photo of some of the things I climb up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Has anyone put a super deluxe rc3 on their stumpy? Just curious how it compares to the dpx2 on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There's been some talk about grit and gravel getting stuck where the main triangle and chain stay mate. I try to clean that area out after every ride but already see this been problematic as debris is wearing on the frame at the suspension moves.

Any solutions here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by barev View Post
    There's been some talk about grit and gravel getting stuck where the main triangle and chain stay mate. I try to clean that area out after every ride but already see this been problematic as debris is wearing on the frame at the suspension moves.

Any solutions here?
    Barev,
    First I would apply some 3M protection. I installed the Invisiframe kit and added addtional pieces in this area all the way down to the rubber grommit and nearly the width of the seattube. I added two layers on top of the invisiframe. I also plan to add another fender on the chainstay as the upper fender is directing debree toward the bottom pivot. Iím hoping I can get overlap of the fenders to minimize debree hitting rear shock, linkage and main pivot.
    Dan

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    im 5'6" and on a medium. its a short bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone interested in a ST Linkage and Rear Shock from an Expert Carbon? Swapped mine to LT.
    2017 Bikey McBikeface Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Anyone interested in a ST Linkage and Rear Shock from an Expert Carbon? Swapped mine to LT.
    What fork and shock are you running now? Iím thinking of doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Charrob View Post
    What fork and shock are you running now? Iím thinking of doing the same thing.
    Fox 36 and Fox Float. I have a Fuse, so I don't really need the Short Travel set up.
    2017 Bikey McBikeface Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I know itís been talked about before. But what has everyone used to block the crevice on the rear linkage area. Just got my Stumpjumper in and it has a piece of rubber there right now. But thereís still two small gaps on either side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam556 View Post
    I know itís been talked about before. But what has everyone used to block the crevice on the rear linkage area. Just got my Stumpjumper in and it has a piece of rubber there right now. But thereís still two small gaps on either side.

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...l#post13011346

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the help. Iíll try that out.

mtbr member
    Recently I upgraded the front brakes on my Stumpy ST with a zee caliper.
    On extended descents, the slx caliper was a bit lacking...and having a 4piston front/2piston rear just made sense.

I believe all trail bikes should come with this setup 4F/2R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Stumpjumper has been launched-zee.jpg  

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011