New rims for Epic Comp 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New rims for Epic Comp 29er

Hey guys,

I have about 120 miles of singletrack under my 2011 epic comp 29er, and already ruined one of the Charmin soft DT Swiss rims that comes with the bike.

Shopping for new ones, I'm thinking either a ZTR Crest or ZTR Arch, and want some opinions from you guys. I'm 150 lbs., and I'm leaning towards the Arch as I don't want to have to worry about truing my wheel all the time (the Arch is 90 grams more than the crest). Will I notice a 90g difference? I'm new to 29ers and haven't been a weight weenie in the past, but I do race a bit.

Of less importance, which color (black or white)? I'm not really sure what would look good on this bike, but I'm guessing probably black as the back rim is the stock black DT Swiss.

Thoughts?

Dan

mtbr member
    I had 2 years on the DT Swiss wheels that came with my 2008 Stumpy, what the hell are you doing to your bike that you've ruined rims that fast????

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I let my friend ride my bike for a few minutes and he wrecked (not hard), and not on any terrain I would have considered rough. But my rear is already starting to go out of true as well, though I'll obviously fix that before it becomes a problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm about the same weight as you and have had great luck with the arch rims in both 29er and 26er. They have been amazing durable for me as xc and trail type riding. That being said, I think my next wheelset will probably use crest rims to shave a little weight and see if they can survive as well as the arch rims have.

Members who have read this thread: 0