Modding a Specialized Crosstrail...- Mtbr.com
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!

Modding a Specialized Crosstrail...

Anyone ever modify a Specialized Crosstrail? I bought my daughter a 2011 Crosstrail last summer and wanted to upgrade some of her components. I wanted to switch out the forks and wheels specifically. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a different/better suspension fork?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Are you looking for a different/better suspension fork?
    Yes but my main goal is to drop some weight off this bike. The Suntour forks weigh a ton as do the stock wheels and other components. I'd like to upgrade the forks, wheels, cranks, stem and handlebars.

mtbr member
    You'll have many options available to choose from for the wheels, crank, stem and handlebars, but I'm not too familiar with what sort of forks you can find. I mean, obviously you can use a 29'er fork, but I don't know what all is out there for something like what came on your bike. Do you have the model with disc brakes? And yeah, those things are tanks, if you can drop a few pounds off her, she'll be much nicer.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    You'll have many options available to choose from for the wheels, crank, stem and handlebars, but I'm not too familiar with what sort of forks you can find. I mean, obviously you can use a 29'er fork, but I don't know what all is out there for something like what came on your bike. Do you have the model with disc brakes? And yeah, those things are tanks, if you can drop a few pounds off her, she'll be much nicer.
    Thanks for the responses...

We did get her the Sport model which came with disc brakes. I'm assuming I could go with any 29er fork with a post mount for her brakes. Once I pick a 29er fork I'm also assuming that any disc compatible 29er wheels should work too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you've got the right idea. The only difference you will find is the 29'er fork is going to be much wider. That's what I was saying in my earlier post about not knowing what is out there for a 700c/29'er fork that is narrow like you currently have. I'm not looking at the bike right now, but I would check to make sure the fork clears the downtube before you buy one. I could see the wider fork hitting the frame on tight turns and you don't want that

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can mod them all you want.

This started as a 2011 crosstrail comp disc and was 32lbs. Replaced the fork with a 2010 reba RL @ 100mm, 700mm raceface flat bar, 70mm raceface stem, thomson elite setback seat post, specialized henge saddle, roval control EL wheels (best upgrade I did), xt rear derailer, xt crank. Its down to 27-28lbs. Its still super heavy compared to my 20lb carbon 29er stumpjumper, but its not that bad and is still fun to ride. My wife rides this now and it does a great job. I put the shorter stem on it to help compensate for the slacker angle with the 100mm fork and wider bars, plus my wife has a little shorter arms than me.

So, the wheels and the fork are going to be the best upgrade you can make. I got my roval wheels used for just under $300. They weight 1750 grams while the stock ones were almost 2500g! You can use any 29er fork. There are used rockshox rebas and Fox f29s all over the place. Watch out for used fox forks with the G2 offset (from gary fishers), they will mess with the steering more. You can get rebas or foxes used for $200-300. I got that reba pretty much new for $300. It was a great upgrade, but it changed the steering a little because it is 100mm instead of the 80mm that the suntour fork. After that I would do the crank or the rear derailleur next. So there is plenty to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Going tubeless with the wheels will also lighten up the front end of the bike, make it easier to climb, steer and spin up the wheels. You could easily lose 1-2lbs from the wheels. And since most of that is rotational weight you will really really notice the difference.

I just checked... the stock suntour fork on mine was actually 75mm of travel and was over 2100 grams, so a reba would knock a pound off the front end of the bike. That is a fantastic upgrade for $200-300.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StolltheMusic View Post
    You can mod them all you want.

This started as a 2011 crosstrail comp disc and was 32lbs. Replaced the fork with a 2010 reba RL @ 100mm, 700mm raceface flat bar, 70mm raceface stem, thomson elite setback seat post, specialized henge saddle, roval control EL wheels (best upgrade I did), xt rear derailer, xt crank. Its down to 27-28lbs. Its still super heavy compared to my 20lb carbon 29er stumpjumper, but its not that bad and is still fun to ride. My wife rides this now and it does a great job. I put the shorter stem on it to help compensate for the slacker angle with the 100mm fork and wider bars, plus my wife has a little shorter arms than me.

So, the wheels and the fork are going to be the best upgrade you can make. I got my roval wheels used for just under $300. They weight 1750 grams while the stock ones were almost 2500g! You can use any 29er fork. There are used rockshox rebas and Fox f29s all over the place. Watch out for used fox forks with the G2 offset (from gary fishers), they will mess with the steering more. You can get rebas or foxes used for $200-300. I got that reba pretty much new for $300. It was a great upgrade, but it changed the steering a little because it is 100mm instead of the 80mm that the suntour fork. After that I would do the crank or the rear derailleur next. So there is plenty to upgrade.
    Man that is awesome..!!! Thanks for all the info. Just what I was hoping to accomplish with her bike. If I could get it between 26-28lbs I'd be content.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a 2010 Crosstrail, I dumped the fork and put on a Surly Karate Monkey fork for a 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Anyone ever modify a Specialized Crosstrail? I bought my daughter a 2011 Crosstrail last summer and wanted to upgrade some of her components. I wanted to switch out the forks and wheels specifically. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My 2013 CT SD wheels are not as heavy as noted at the top (2500G !). They are made by Maddux
    MADDUX
    I believe the DX116 700c rim

I believe total to be approx 1900g front and rear. IMO- the wheels on this type adventure/tour/ATB are a very good choice, especially for the cost of the bike.

Maybe the older Crosstrails used a different wheel ? Also Crosstrail weight as of 2013 = 29# for a sport disc, less for upgrades like the elite.

5#'s plus comes from the suntour coil spring, nothing SF. Put a carbon fork on and gain substantial. The XCM bars on the sport disc series are really nice, Alt bars, cut them down, rotate them,etc.

The bike makes a nice monster cross, atb, bike packing , ATB...........consider ditching the fork.

The wheels are much less concern than the sue fork weight....
    Last edited by Tinman; 10-15-2013 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can any of my fellow CrossTrail owners tell me what diameter seatpost I need if I want to upgrade?

Also, what kind of abuse have you modders been putting this bike through? I'm curious how well the frame will hold up to real trail riding, i.e., moderate drops, rock gardens, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Also, I want to change the crankset to accept a Shimano XT Hollowtech II crankset, what kind of bottom bracket should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Can any of my fellow CrossTrail owners tell me what diameter seatpost I need if I want to upgrade?

Also, what kind of abuse have you modders been putting this bike through? I'm curious how well the frame will hold up to real trail riding, i.e., moderate drops, rock gardens, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just picked up a 2015 crosstrail for 200 dollars. I put a topeak rack on it and use it as a commuter. Gravel roads, lots of hills. No problem. Does great. I will look into this

Surly Karate Monkey fork

As recommended by the gent above. How does the rigid fork impact (literally) your wrists as compared to the heavy but suspension eased stock fork?

Master Slater, have you considered making this bike a single speed?

Members who have read this thread: 4