• 04-30-2004
    zugzug
    Mavic or Sun rims on Specialized Rockhopper Comp?
    So i'm buying a Specialized Rockhopper Comp from my LBS but I had to order it because they only had the models with disc brakes (which I don't want) and they didn't have my size. So I was in yesterday and made another $100 deposit. They wont have my bike until around May 20th so I just decided to do layaway and chip away at the price until then.

Here's where i'm confused:

While in the store yesterday I noticed on the Specialized Rockhopper Comp on display that it had Sun rims on it. The model name of the Sun rims eludes me, but I also noticed that the Hardrock they had also had Sun rims on that. On the Specialized (Canada) website under the bike specs it lists the Rockhopper Comp as having Mavic XM-117 rims. I've searched this site for a review on the Mavic rims but I can't find any information. I also went to Mavic's site and they do not show this model name listed there either and I am wondering why...

When comparing review scores here it seems as if the majority of riders seem to like Mavics more so than the Sun rims. Has Mavic discontinued the production of the XM-117 rims and Specialized not updated their specs on their website? Or is my LBS trying to pull a fast one here?

:confused:
  • 04-30-2004
    Endoman
    I don't think anyone is pulling a fast one on you. The bike comes with a spec'd rim set. If specialized bought a buttload of Mavic rims but ran out then they probably bought a buttload of Sun rims of about equal quality for the next batch of bikes. When people 'prefer' Mavic rims they are usually talking about an expensive wheelset where it might matter. The rims on your bike are of average quality as is the bike your buying. It's not Stumpjumper quality but then again it's better than the Hardrock model, it's right in the middle.

I actually prefer Sun Mammoth rims for the style of riding I do. In fact I hate Mavics because they aren't as durable and I think they're a pain in the arse to quickly change a flat on trail. If you're into total XC you might love Mavics. I would not stress yourself out about this. Just go get your bike and ride it. If the wheels fall apart then take it back to the LBS and tell them you want the other wheels. Not likely to happen though :D
  • 05-02-2004
    Lucky13
    sun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Endoman
    I don't think anyone is pulling a fast one on you. The bike comes with a spec'd rim set. If specialized bought a buttload of Mavic rims but ran out then they probably bought a buttload of Sun rims of about equal quality for the next batch of bikes. When people 'prefer' Mavic rims they are usually talking about an expensive wheelset where it might matter. The rims on your bike are of average quality as is the bike your buying. It's not Stumpjumper quality but then again it's better than the Hardrock model, it's right in the middle.

I actually prefer Sun Mammoth rims for the style of riding I do. In fact I hate Mavics because they aren't as durable and I think they're a pain in the arse to quickly change a flat on trail. If you're into total XC you might love Mavics. I would not stress yourself out about this. Just go get your bike and ride it. If the wheels fall apart then take it back to the LBS and tell them you want the other wheels. Not likely to happen though :D

Rhyno Lites and as strong as mamooth is and it's much lighter.Otherwise, Endoman is 100% there.