mtbr member
    Jul 2004

manitou black question

i just got me a 2004 m4 stumpjumper, with the manitou black elite fork, i'm wondering about the knob on the top left side (riders view), is that my rapid travel wind down?? i've messed with it and not felt a huge diffrence.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by thestumpjumpedme
    i just got me a 2004 m4 stumpjumper, with the manitou black elite fork, i'm wondering about the knob on the top left side (riders view), is that my rapid travel wind down?? i've messed with it and not felt a huge diffrence.
    Manītou made two retail Elite models this year. The Black Elite that comes on the base model '04 Stumpy FSR doesn't have any travel adjustments; it's stuck at 100mm. I think Specialized skimped on their OEM version and didn't opt for the TPC damping with adjustable compression/lockout (red knob over RH leg). If so, the only external adjustment on your fork is the rebound on the underside of the lowers. That would mean the only thing under your left cap is a non-adjustable coil sping, and turning the cap does nothing.

mtbr member
    I have the Manitou Axel Elite on my 04' Rockhopper Comp.

(riders view), the knob on the top of the left hand fork is for adjustments as in spring/oil load, (IE) softer or stronger action, where as the little red tab at the bottom of the right hand fork is the adjustment for re-bound, (IE) slower or faster.

Adjust the action knob, (top left hand fork) clockwise for stiffer, stronger action, counterclockwise for softer weaker action.

Adjust the rebound tab, (bottom right hand fork) slide to your right for a quicker very responsive rebound, slide to your left for a slower more controlled rebound.

Check your Manitou owners manual, it should say that there is a "break in" period or go to www.answerproducts.com to download Manitou's owners manual.

As each rider and trail has their own dynamics, and requirements, you'll need to make adjustments to find the settings that will suite your needs.

Hope this helps,...

Ol' DirtDawg
    Last edited by Ol' DirtDawg; 07-11-2004 at 07:24 AM. Reason: addendum

gnuH

Black Elite

The black knob on the top left is the spring preload adjuster. Use this to set your fork sag as per the manufacturers specs, and to make the fork harder/softer. On the top right is the compression, and lock out (on certain models). Bottom right is the rebound dampening.