Just ordered a Rockhopper Expert from a LBS, big guy (clyde), any tips or weak points- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

New question here. Just ordered a Rockhopper Expert from a LBS, big guy (clyde), any tips or weak points

Just ordered a Rockhopper Expert from a LBS, big guy (clyde), any tips or weak points I should watch out for? Ultimately I'll probably be getting some stronger rims one I get back into riding more trails. I was debating between the comp and the expert, was told the air shocks would be a better option.

I came across a thread where people said there was an upgrade program going for the Suntour fork, I'm guessing this could be a first upgrade if needed. Perhaps some larger pedals as well, depends how these feel after the first few rides.

Anyways, I used to ride about 13 or so years ago, had a rockhopper then which is why I ultimately stuck with it. Plan is to start out with some paved rides and flat trails and work my way up to some more aggressive trails once I'm in better shape.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just picked up an expert a few weeks ago and have put about 50 miles on trails and 20 or so on road with it. The only weakness I found so far was the pedals which I replaced immediately with raceface aeffect's I had from my old bike. Otherwise everything else was changing location/fit of things to fit my preference (seat hight/location, handlebar, shifters/etc). IDK how much of a clyde you are but I am technically a cylde at 215 lbs- I was told by my LBS that everything should hold up fine under my weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have another 50 lbs on you. I did notice the pedals seemed a little small perhaps or I just didnt like the shape. Sounds like you like it...

mtbr member
    I own this exact bike, purchased it about two months ago, and have put over 100 miles on it, nearly all of that on trails, up to some expert terrain. I'm just on the wrong side of 200lbs, but years ago I was a racer and my brain still thinks I'm 25 years old and 165 lbs, and I have ridden this bike HARD. I've ripped down rough descents with the thing bouncing all over, I've ridden over some brutal rock gardens, mis-timed jumps on logs and curbs, I've also crashed it, and dumped it more than once. The bike was unfazed. The only thing I've done is knock the handlebars out of alignment. An easy fix with a tool. I have found it to be extremely durable. My guess tells me the LBS guys said the same thing to you, this bike is tough and designed to be ridden. If this bike doesn't work for you, I don't know what bike will (other than the Rockhopper Pro).

As to updates, I too quickly upgraded the pedals. You'll do the same. If you didn't test ride one, the 720mm bars may seem wide at first, give them a chance. You'll also probably love/hate the ergo grips. Be patient with them too. Finally, yes, the shocks on this are the top of the line Suntour mufti-dampening air shocks, built to Specialized's input. They aren't thru-axle shocks, no. But they work fairly well, better than I expected. The remote lockout is very nice.

The rims have been true and tough for me. But you're bigger than me, so I would keep an eye on them.

I'm going to end by saying don't be timid that you're going to break this bike with the riding you describe. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, good to hear it holds up to a beating. I can't wait to get my hands on it. What pedals did you end up going with?

mtbr member
    I use the Nashbar Soho Pedals, which I had before I got the bike. These are dual sided. One side clip, the other platform. Like most Nashbar stuff they are decent quality on the lower end with a good price. My chief complaint is that there is no way to increase the tension, and your feet can come out of these fairly easily when torquing away. The easy exit might actually appeal to a lot of people though.

You mention liking bigger pedals, the Soho is medium sized I'd say on the platform, which may steer you to something else (if you're looking for dual sided). The Shimano PD-M324 might work for you. Search for it.

If I bought from scratch, I'd buy the PD-M785. It's not dual, but decent sized in case I wanted to wear regular shoes for a short ride, but a bit spendy. Then again, if I'm dreaming, I'd also buy a Stumpjumper carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    When I rode a while back I never was a big fan of those clipless. I'll have to consider them once I get comfortable on the bike. For now I'm going to go with a solid platform pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just called and my bike is being assembled and should be ready by tonight for pickup! Woot

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Got there right in time before closing, sized up, adjusted shocks. Just went for a quick ride, feels pretty solid. Was a bit cautious at first / wobbly - havn't been on a bike in a while. Went for about a 30 min ride, enough to work up a sweat.

Bad pic:

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nice. Step up from the one in the back with the pink seat? Couldn't help it. I have a Rockhopper Comp with many o' miles on it and makes me smile every day. Enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Carve It Up View Post
    Nice. Step up from the one in the back with the pink seat? Couldn't help it. I have a Rockhopper Comp with many o' miles on it and makes me smile every day. Enjoy your ride.
    Yeah my daughter was getting mad at me for using it, so figured I'd upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Very nice pickup. Mine should be here today and assembled for me tomorrow. Go the highlighter green one. So excited. First time back on a bike since 2012.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by toekneeg View Post
    Very nice pickup. Mine should be here today and assembled for me tomorrow. Go the highlighter green one. So excited. First time back on a bike since 2012.
    Sweet. Yeah I was a little torn between the two colors.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Same here! Love red bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Duplicate
    Last edited by toekneeg; 07-07-2015 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Duplicate
    Last edited by toekneeg; 07-07-2015 at 07:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Took the kids for a ride. Wew legs are killing me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing! Your legs hurting is normal. It shouldn't ever cometely go away, and that's a good thingl. :-)

When you say it felt wobbly on the first ride, do you think that was you, or anything about the bike?

I have a red too, but have to admit the green is snazzy also.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just ordered a Rockhopper Expert from a LBS, big guy (clyde), any tips or weak points-image.jpg

Just picked her up Thursday. Been raining since. Can't wait to get her on the trails. So excited

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Looks awesome. Have fun!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I went for another ride today. Took the kids no trails yet