I bought a 7 000$ Spe, Spe shop try to rob me and Rider Care France doesn't care- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

I bought a 7 000$ Spe, Spe shop try to rob me and Rider Care France doesn't care

First sorry for my english mistakes, my last english lesson was more than 20 years ago

In dember 2017 i bought a Kenevo expert on a Specialized Concept Store, they were nice when i ordered it and were applying the waranty when Specialized dropper post broke in front of the shop. The joint (i dont know if it's the righ word, it's the plastic ring between the collar and the of the dropper which prevent liquids to get in) was unglued so i went to the shop to tell them and the dropper broke just went i was on the parking to come back home.

It was at the start of this year, and in october or november the dropper joint started to unglue again, and the command of the dropper broke with no apparent reason as i was just riding near home on a road when i was near beach with my cousin

As i couldn't ride my bike i went the november 9th to the Specialized shop where i bought my bike to make it repair, thinking it was under warranty like the last time

I also noticed them (after on the phone as i forgot it was unglued because it was working well) that the command of the motor was unglued too, even if it was still working fine as i as riding with it this since the start of the summer (i did between 1 000 and 2 000kms, 600 and 1200 in miles)

The 3rd December (so more thn 3 weeks after while they said 2) i received a text telling the bike was repaired so i went to the shop. There they asked me to pay around 500 dollars, including a new command of the motor for 122$ and a dropper service for 150$ with a new dropper command for 40

I protested saying it should have been warrantied, they answered some bullshit reason. I didn't accept but my mother had to go to the doctor so i gave up.

Come back home i decided to send a mail to the french Specialized "Rider Care". I also told the story on a french forum and gave them the link on the mail to show them the details and that i wouldn't accept the issue like that.

I only had an answer more than 48 hours after, when i went on facebook to protest. And it was just to tell me that the shop is independant and they could do absolutely nothing and i should deal with the shop

They put a phone number at the end of the mail so i called to protest, and the guy on the phone had the nerves to tell me the shop had 0 link with Specialized, and that i was not informed, he repeated it many times with a sarcastic tone.

Winbike - Winbike, Specialized Elite Shop. Here is the link of the shop, does anyone could pretend it isn't a Specialized shop linked to Specialized? There is a big Specialized on top of the front of the shop, there are only specialized bikes inside and the shop look identically to every Specialized shops, but they pretend a shop like this has nothing to do with Specialized? Seriously? Like they are not contracted with Specialized to sell bikes and service them? They told on the mail they are responsable to apply Specialized warranty but there is no link whatsoever?

So after few minutes they understood i wouldn't buy that excuse so they phoned to the shop, whio admit they made an "error" not applying the warranty

Plus under french laws it's forbidden to change pieces or sell services without costumer acceptance. I had more than 300$ of parts i didn't ask to change or should have been under warranty

Then i just received a mail telling me to go back to the shop "who will welcome me with pleasure". Like seriously? A shop try to steal money from me (while i already ordered a 7 000$ bike to them), i tell it on a forum where people reading my story tell they are stealers and they would welcome me with smiles and hugs? Who can write this?

I won't go to the shop, as they didn't admit they shouldn't have change the motor command, they only admitted the dropper warranty issue. I don't want to have to deal with them ever, they thought i was paying what they asked without protesting, then when i protested on the shop they kicked me out of the shop saying i was wrong to protest and i should do 25 more miles to deal with them while they already tried to get away with it? I told this to them (and Specialized Rider Care France) by mail, they didnt answer to it.

So i had no other choice and contacted the french state office who fight against fraud, and i will go to the court if it isn't enough (it's free in France and i studied laws at the faculty, so i know i will win)

I'm not a dentist so i don't want to let them do whatever they want with my money, i bought the bike with my dad heritage who passed away few weeks before because of a long generalized cancer which hurt my family and myself a lot, that's why i bought an e-bike (i also have other bikes, i usually talk about them on other parts of this forum), to spend days riding to think about something else

I'm telling the story as i have the hope that Specialized USA will understand that they will lose a lot of money if i tell this story everywhere (i didnt use facebook or twitter yet, where way more people will be aware of the issue), i hardly understand how someone would buy a Specialized bike knowing they will have no support from the oficial Specialized Rider Care (which don't care) when a Specialized shop will treat their customers like they are sh..

Thanks to the ones who read this till the end, i hope Specialized fanboys won't overeact, i enjoyed my Specialized bike (even if i had some issues) till this story, i have nothing agaisnt Specialized but against Specialized people who disrespected me, i'm just telling the truth to try to make things move.

mtbr member
    I'm no expert on this subject but if the shop didn't initially start this problem as a warranty issue then it's going to cost you money. A good relationship with your bike shop is key as the owners of the shop are sales service and your direct connection to the company. Once your handed a bill at the shop for repairs its likely specialized rider care cannot help. Rider care can directly send you parts if they believe you have a failure and it's a specialized part. The command post is sort of a problem and its possible to send it back or take photos and deal with rider care.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tallboy View Post
    First sorry for my english mistakes, my last english lesson was more than 20 years ago

In dember 2017 i bought a Kenevo expert on a Specialized Concept Store, they were nice when i ordered it and were applying the waranty when Specialized dropper post broke in front of the shop. The joint (i dont know if it's the righ word, it's the plastic ring between the collar and the of the dropper which prevent liquids to get in) was unglued so i went to the shop to tell them and the dropper broke just went i was on the parking to come back home.

It was at the start of this year, and in october or november the dropper joint started to unglue again, and the command of the dropper broke with no apparent reason as i was just riding near home on a road when i was near beach with my cousin

As i couldn't ride my bike i went the november 9th to the Specialized shop where i bought my bike to make it repair, thinking it was under warranty like the last time

I also noticed them (after on the phone as i forgot it was unglued because it was working well) that the command of the motor was unglued too, even if it was still working fine as i as riding with it this since the start of the summer (i did between 1 000 and 2 000kms, 600 and 1200 in miles)

The 3rd December (so more thn 3 weeks after while they said 2) i received a text telling the bike was repaired so i went to the shop. There they asked me to pay around 500 dollars, including a new command of the motor for 122$ and a dropper service for 150$ with a new dropper command for 40

I protested saying it should have been warrantied, they answered some bullshit reason. I didn't accept but my mother had to go to the doctor so i gave up.

Come back home i decided to send a mail to the french Specialized "Rider Care". I also told the story on a french forum and gave them the link on the mail to show them the details and that i wouldn't accept the issue like that.

I only had an answer more than 48 hours after, when i went on facebook to protest. And it was just to tell me that the shop is independant and they could do absolutely nothing and i should deal with the shop

They put a phone number at the end of the mail so i called to protest, and the guy on the phone had the nerves to tell me the shop had 0 link with Specialized, and that i was not informed, he repeated it many times with a sarcastic tone.

Winbike - Winbike, Specialized Elite Shop. Here is the link of the shop, does anyone could pretend it isn't a Specialized shop linked to Specialized? There is a big Specialized on top of the front of the shop, there are only specialized bikes inside and the shop look identically to every Specialized shops, but they pretend a shop like this has nothing to do with Specialized? Seriously? Like they are not contracted with Specialized to sell bikes and service them? They told on the mail they are responsable to apply Specialized warranty but there is no link whatsoever?

So after few minutes they understood i wouldn't buy that excuse so they phoned to the shop, whio admit they made an "error" not applying the warranty

Plus under french laws it's forbidden to change pieces or sell services without costumer acceptance. I had more than 300$ of parts i didn't ask to change or should have been under warranty

Then i just received a mail telling me to go back to the shop "who will welcome me with pleasure". Like seriously? A shop try to steal money from me (while i already ordered a 7 000$ bike to them), i tell it on a forum where people reading my story tell they are stealers and they would welcome me with smiles and hugs? Who can write this?

I won't go to the shop, as they didn't admit they shouldn't have change the motor command, they only admitted the dropper warranty issue. I don't want to have to deal with them ever, they thought i was paying what they asked without protesting, then when i protested on the shop they kicked me out of the shop saying i was wrong to protest and i should do 25 more miles to deal with them while they already tried to get away with it? I told this to them (and Specialized Rider Care France) by mail, they didnt answer to it.

So i had no other choice and contacted the french state office who fight against fraud, and i will go to the court if it isn't enough (it's free in France and i studied laws at the faculty, so i know i will win)

I'm not a dentist so i don't want to let them do whatever they want with my money, i bought the bike with my dad heritage who passed away few weeks before because of a long generalized cancer which hurt my family and myself a lot, that's why i bought an e-bike (i also have other bikes, i usually talk about them on other parts of this forum), to spend days riding to think about something else

I'm telling the story as i have the hope that Specialized USA will understand that they will lose a lot of money if i tell this story everywhere (i didnt use facebook or twitter yet, where way more people will be aware of the issue), i hardly understand how someone would buy a Specialized bike knowing they will have no support from the oficial Specialized Rider Care (which don't care) when a Specialized shop will treat their customers like they are sh..

Thanks to the ones who read this till the end, i hope Specialized fanboys won't overeact, i enjoyed my Specialized bike (even if i had some issues) till this story, i have nothing agaisnt Specialized but against Specialized people who disrespected me, i'm just telling the truth to try to make things move.

Up In Smoke
    I don't understand why they would have done so much repair without authorization.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Me neither. Under french laws the shop has to do a list of costs to tell the customer what he will pay and how much, it's the first illegal act. If they don"t it's called "vente forcée" ("forced sell"), which is for products or services.

The second is to tell me a crap reason to not decide to put the post under warranty while it was the same exact issue which happen few month earlier. And they admit to Specialized Rider Care that they did wrong not activating the warranty

They just tried to make me pay more because they thought i didn't do it enough. Or they don't like my fqce, but it doesn't justify to steal money from me. Plus they put the dropper post too hight while they took my measurement when i ordered the bike (and put the ergon grips on the wrong side while there is a "up" on the collar").

Anyway it's a Specialized bike with a Specialized dropper post at a Specialized concept store who is supposed to apply Specialized Warranty, not their own warranty depending on the season of the year, and Rider Care can't tell Specialized isn't linked to this, Rider Care should have phoneto the shop when they read my mail and my post on the french forum, not say "it's not our fault we have nothing to do with this shop, deal with them while they already denied you when you picked up the bike"

They only did it when i spent minutes to protest on the phone telling i will go to court and tell the story in public places.

It's like Walmart saying one of their Walmart isn't a Walmart because the owner is responsable if he loses money (but not if he win some, on this case Walmart or Specialized participate to the benefits), it's a fake independance, only on paper.

I don't think Rider Care role is only to sell bikes and tell people who have already bought one that they can't do anything, especially when it's a Specialized shop and not an independant one, with Specialized parts. It's Specialized who is making warranty rules, not the shops.

If it's the case i don't see why people should buy a Specialized if a Rider Care doesn't care about riders. I have a Santa Cruz as muscular bike and they don't tell me "well deal with the shop if your frame is broken or bearings are destroyed", they send me new ones

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Can you deal with the Specialized dealer in Sete to sort it all out?

In my experience with other premier brands they will help a store to make sure the customer is happy. If the store is the problem then use an alternative dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Can you deal with the Specialized dealer in Sete to sort it all out?

In my experience with other premier brands they will help a store to make sure the customer is happy. If the store is the problem then use an alternative dealer.
    Yeah i will go to Sete (nearest town where there is a shop after this one) when i will be able to (it is 40 miles away, so 80 to come back), or sell the bike if Specialized shows they don't care about their customers

I was planning to buy a Stumpy to replace the SC but looking at how Specialized deal with people who bought one of their bikes i'm not sure that i want to live this experience again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Little update, Fraud state service contacted the shop (who was ignoring me) but they still just admit they should have put the post under warranty, they don't admit they changed pieces i didn't ask to change because it was working fine, they keep telling me to go to shop to fix the warranty issue, but i want to be refund of the pieces they charged me without my acceptance.

I won't go there (it's far away and i don't have a car right now) and i will contact the fraud state service as they told to do if i was unhappy with the shop answer, and if they still don't move i will go to court

I also didn't have any message from Specialized, who don't seem to care...