How cool/useful is the Specialized SWAT Storage Box? Do you use it?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 63 of 63
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    92

    How cool/useful is the Specialized SWAT Storage Box? Do you use it?

    Thinking of selling my 2012 Stumpy FSR comp 29er to buy a Stumpy FSR Carbon 6Fattie. I'm considering this bike over all others in carbon just because of the SWAT storage compartment. I love riding without a camelback and this would allow me to store tube, tools, etc very conveniently.

    Do you use your SWAT storage?

    Does it stay water tight?

    Is it worth buying a carbon frame bike just for SWAT?

    I have a carbon FAT Bike but don't necessarily need a carbon Full Suspension bike, aluminum has done great for me.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,740
    I bought without thinking much of the SWAT stuff, yet it proved itself invaluable quite quickly. I love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    Thinking of selling my 2012 Stumpy FSR comp 29er to buy a Stumpy FSR Carbon 6Fattie. I'm considering this bike over all others in carbon just because of the SWAT storage compartment. I love riding without a camelback and this would allow me to store tube, tools, etc very conveniently.

    Do you use your SWAT storage?
    -YES

    Does it stay water tight?
    -Haven't tried

    Is it worth buying a carbon frame bike just for SWAT?
    -If you hate wearing a pack, yes

    I have a carbon FAT Bike but don't necessarily need a carbon Full Suspension bike, aluminum has done great for me.
    -Rider's preference really

    Thoughts?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    24
    SWAT is ok for the local trails, but for the bigger rides away from home I don't feel safe leaving my backpack at home.

    Just an example of things I can't bring when I go pack-less:
    -1,50 lt water supply
    -fruits or a bigger meal
    -more than 1 tube
    -place to stuff a jacket or warm clothes

    A (hydration?) hip pack (or stuffing my shorts) is OK for summer, but for the cool season I don't have enough room.

    And don't forget that if you go pack-less you must find a place for keys, cellphone, a minimal medikit, small repair kit and a couple of bars. With shorts like the Endura Single Track I can stuff my wind jacket in the rear pocket but it's far from ideal.

    So in the end... SWAT is ok for local rides.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,352
    I don't have SWAT and thought it was pretty goofy until I was on a ride with someone who did when they got a flat. It was kinda cool having everything needed tucked away in there. I now think it's less goofy, but not necessarily something I need or want.
    Do the math.

  5. #5
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,255
    Great input so far, that I pretty much agree with.

    If you're going on a long, fun ride, odds are you'll use a backpack, and you can carry a more complete (and robust) set of tools with you. If you're racing, especially something on the short end, you're probably out of the running with most mechanicals anyway, so having tools on board isn't a help in that respect.

    However, if you just want to jump on the bike, pop in a water bottle or two, and ride for a while, it is handy to not need to bring a pack. I think this scenario is the sweet spot for SWAT.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    542
    In the process of building my SWAT equipped bike, so don't have first hand feedback, yet. I am obsessed with getting weight off my back. To that end, whether I use my 3L pack, my fanny pack, or a water bottle, the prospect of having a tube, levers, snacks, etc reside permanently off of my back and low in the frame is very palatable. So...I think it will be useful on every ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Streetdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,698
    You really bring all that on a ride? Multiple tubes?

    In my swat I have a tube, 2 levers, cO2 cartridge, pump, 2 energy snacks, and water bottle. If it's cooler than 70f out this gets me through a 20 mile ride with a couple thousand feet of ascending.

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelcamo View Post
    SWAT is ok for the local trails, but for the bigger rides away from home I don't feel safe leaving my backpack at home.

    Just an example of things I can't bring when I go pack-less:
    -1,50 lt water supply
    -fruits or a bigger meal
    -more than 1 tube
    -place to stuff a jacket or warm clothes

    A (hydration?) hip pack (or stuffing my shorts) is OK for summer, but for the cool season I don't have enough room.

    And don't forget that if you go pack-less you must find a place for keys, cellphone, a minimal medikit, small repair kit and a couple of bars. With shorts like the Endura Single Track I can stuff my wind jacket in the rear pocket but it's far from ideal.

    So in the end... SWAT is ok for local rides.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    The SWAT storage is a complete game changer in the mountain bike segment. Not only do you have the storage for necessities needed for emergencies but the Camber has another storage for a multi tool and the headset stores a chain breaker and quick link.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,352
    ^^^ a bit of hyperbole?
    Do the math.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    The SWAT storage is a complete game changer in the mountain bike segment. Not only do you have the storage for necessities needed for emergencies but the Camber has another storage for a multi tool and the headset stores a chain breaker and quick link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ a bit of hyperbole?
    What was it? The "complete game changer" or the "mountain bike segment"?

    Feel like I'm sitting in a board room.

  11. #11
    memento mori
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    378
    I like having the essentials on the bike at all times. Multi tool, tube and a couple co2's. Still wear a hydro pack but it's much lighter now.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,352
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    What was it? The "complete game changer" or the "mountain bike segment"?

    Feel like I'm sitting in a board room.
    More like a marketing department brainstorming session. I was thinking "complete game changer" as being over the top. Since Specialized has introduced SWAT on some road bikes, the changed game in not limited to just mountain bikes.
    Do the math.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Well 'at the end of the day' I'm just really 'bringing to the table' that sounded totally canned.

    Sounds like the precipitation from a marketing brain'storm' is akin to cow patties.

  14. #14
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    I am beyond sold on SWAT. On quick rides, all I have to do is fill a bottle and go. For longer rides it means I now use a Camelbak Palos (read: fanny pack) to carry everything else. 24oz bottle on the bike, 50oz bladder in the pack, and my back doesn't get sweaty and gross.

    My SWAT compartment on my Fuse Expert Carbon holds a 6503" tube, Specialized Airtool high volume pump, tire lever, tubeless plug kit, and still has room for a shedded jersey or some snacks.

    SWAT is something that once you have, you will always want.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    381
    I love the swat compartment on my mountain bike. Really find out how much I miss it when I ride a bike without it. Love the swat compartment but would never buy a bike because of it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    What was it? The "complete game changer" or the "mountain bike segment"?

    Feel like I'm sitting in a board room.

    The SWAT storage system allows you to take the weight off your back which results in less fatigue and creates the perfect environment for all day epic rides. It is as liberating as going commando.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    169
    I have found it less than useful . When I mentioned my thoughts on it so far to my LBS Shop Manager , he laughed and said the standing joke is that " it's perfect size for a bag, lighter, and a pipe". I guess that it is a good thing then.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Streetdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by loopsb View Post
    I have found it less than useful . When I mentioned my thoughts on it so far to my LBS Shop Manager , he laughed and said the standing joke is that " it's perfect size for a bag, lighter, and a pipe". I guess that it is a good thing then.
    dude must smoke a TON then hahaha. Every time I open mine I giggle at how much shit it fits. I actually took a bunch of stuff out because I was jamming things in there just to see what would fit and I think I had a few pounds of crap in the down tube.
    Denver, CO

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    The SWAT storage system allows you to take the weight off your back which results in less fatigue and creates the perfect environment for all day epic rides. It is as liberating as going commando.
    This. All things being equal, I have noticed reduced fatigue by moving weight off of my back to a fanny pack and down to the frame. Of particular note, the distraction that the shifting weight of a regular pack creates on rough entries to drops/jumps is all but eliminated.

  20. #20
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    The SWAT storage system allows you to take the weight off your back which results in less fatigue and creates the perfect environment for all day epic rides. It is as liberating as going commando.
    I'm not sure if I could do an all day ride with just the 2 bottles on my frame - I'd need a pack. Also suspect the Stumpy, for example, can only accommodate 1 bottle. (?)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    562
    It's not water proof, if u wash ur bike etc. Water can get in

    Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    32
    I think it is great but I typically do shorter rides on the mountain bike and only have to grab a water bottle and go. Longer rides are typically on the road on a road bike. I do have a pack if I were to do a longer ride on the mtb.

    The stumpy will also only fit one bottle.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    147
    How the heck are you guys cramming all that stuff into your SWAT? I tried to cram the tube that came with my Stumpy 6Fattie into the SWAT (so I guess a 650x3) and I don't think I could fit one more thing in there. I figured I would put a much smaller tube in there so I can fit in more stuff. After all, I'm hoping to only use the tube in emergencies so I'd guess running a traditional 29er tube would be fine to get me home. Any suggestions on packing the SWAT box?

  24. #24
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by MHCBH View Post
    How the heck are you guys cramming all that stuff into your SWAT? ...
    I almost misread that.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stalkerfiveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,356
    I keep a tube, multi tool and CO2 in mine. Even on the day you do take a pack, it's still nice taking that bit of weight off of your back.

    I haven't had issues with water getting in when washing the bike.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    609
    I can fit a tube, c02 kit, tire levers, chain tool, energy bars, hanger, missing link etc. With room to spare but I have a XL frame. I ditched the backpack and now just carry a fanny pack with my cell phone, keys, etc. It's a cool feature just like the Eagle 1x12 on my Pro model but I don't think there must have's. Convenient and cool but I wouldn't buy one bike over the other based on swat or eagle

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    I keep a tube, co2 kit, tire levers, condoms, energy bars, gu, lube and pills in mine. Never had a problem with water getting in the SWAT box.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    Convenient and cool but I wouldn't buy one bike over the other based on swat or eagle
    I spent the holiday in Moab and was able to get my first rides in on my XL 650b, so I have some thoughts on the SWAT storage. First---I use a Source Hipster pack, so I do have some places to carry other "junk" outside of the frame.

    ---for anything that is not soft (i.e. mini tool, CO2, etc) make sure it is wedged tightly in the frame. the racket that those items can make on a high speed descent is beyond distracting. even the CO2 cartridges made noise in the provided sleeve.
    ---the inner surface of the frame is unfinished and very abrasive. as things move about and shift during the ride or pulling the protective sleeves in/out, the sleeves already have holes worn in them. This is after 3 total rides.
    ---the screws securing the bottle cage to the SWAT door refuse to stay tight and do not come with pre applied lock tite. This ends up resulting in another source of distracting noise.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    I think of it as a glove compartment.

    Now that cold weather is here I might want a warm pair of gloves or a spare dry pair. They fit nice and travel quietly.

    I only put clothes and food in there, if anything.

    I have always tried to make every bike I've had self sufficient, to hop on and ride, so when SWAT came along I was all for it.

    The carbon bottle cage that came with my bike is the least favorite shape I have. For some reason I have a hard time putting the bottle back in. I have given it a long time, thinking I would get the hang of it. But no, it just doesn't agree with me. I need to change it.

    Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    The SWAT storage is a complete game changer in the mountain bike segment. Not only do you have the storage for necessities needed for emergencies but the Camber has another storage for a multi tool and the headset stores a chain breaker and quick link.
    Wow a game changer- really. Hmm ever heard of a saddle bag, fit all that in a small saddle bag.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    755
    Don't you know saddlebags aren't cool bro? I kid I kid. Man I used to rock the crap out of a small saddle bag. Now days I'd take all kinds of crap from my crew if I rocked one. Picking up my first SWAT infused bike today from the shop. I'll chime in after a few rides as a new user. It wasn't a major selling point for me, but I always do ride prepared so I am looking forward to getting a few items off of my back.
    Santa Cruz HT2

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Don't you know saddlebags aren't cool bro? I kid I kid. Man I used to rock the crap out of a small saddle bag. Now days I'd take all kinds of crap from my crew if I rocked one. Picking up my first SWAT infused bike today from the shop. I'll chime in after a few rides as a new user. It wasn't a major selling point for me, but I always do ride prepared so I am looking forward to getting a few items off of my back.
    At my age I could give a rats ass what some wet behind the ears 20 something thinks.

    Yup, I've become my grandfather 20 years earlier than he did.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stalkerfiveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Wow a game changer- really. Hmm ever heard of a saddle bag, fit all that in a small saddle bag.
    I have never owned a saddle bag that could handle the abuse for more than 6 weeks. Whether it be the type that had the straps through the seat rails or the bracket that clamps onto the seat rails, they all seam to come apart on top at the attachment point.

    So yeah, I've hard of saddle bags, They just suck.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    I have never owned a saddle bag that could handle the abuse for more than 6 weeks. Whether it be the type that had the straps through the seat rails or the bracket that clamps onto the seat rails, they all seam to come apart on top at the attachment point.

    So yeah, I've hard of saddle bags, They just suck.
    I've had the same one for over a couple of years. No issues. Had a great GT one years ago, that had quick release clip that clamped to the rails and allowed the bag to come off really easy. At some point when it was off the bike I lost the clamp. Best bag ever, lasted over 6 years.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    20
    I have used lots of xpensive sadle bags and they all tore eventually. Fitted a swat box.... use the Spez super thin inner tube rolled tight in talkin powder and in its own ziplock bag, have space for 60ml Stans, 60ml Smoove, patches, tyre lever, big CO2 can... not much more space left or needed.

    This is "toolbox" .... so either this or a Wobly shaking sadle bag... food, gels and drinks should be in Bottles, Camebak or pockets.

    Can't comment on new inframe swat... BUT would like to have one of those new frames!!!

  36. #36
    Kick Start My Heart
    Reputation: davez26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    536
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bradwin2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    So when you buy a new Specialized mtb with SWAT, what does it come with? Do you get all the SWAT accessories included in the price of the new bike, or do you have to buy them seperately? And what is all included? (Multitool? Chainbreaker and quick link? Pump? Levers? Sleeve? Other?) Thanks.

  38. #38
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by bradwin2 View Post
    So when you buy a new Specialized mtb with SWAT, what does it come with? Do you get all the SWAT accessories included in the price of the new bike, or do you have to buy them seperately? And what is all included? (Multitool? Chainbreaker and quick link? Pump? Levers? Sleeve? Other?) Thanks.
    For camber, stumpjumper, enduro: Comp carbon models come with the zee cage, burritos inside and the slot for the multitool. Expert/elite carbon models add the multitool. Pro and S-Works add the chain tool and quick link.

    All Levo models get zee cage with tool.

    Fuse Expert Carbon and S-Works Carbon get zee cage with tool, two burritos, too cap chain tool.



    Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bradwin2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    120
    Thanks!

  40. #40
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,597
    I've been embracing the SWAT box on my 3 week old carbon Expert 29/6Fattie warranty frame. I got the door and the water bottle cage but NONE of the other standard equipped items like the downtube bags, etc. I thought it would be nice to have the bags for tube/pump/CO2 protection so I had my homies at the shop look up and order them. I thought they were a bit ridiculously priced when I was charged $26 otd for the 2 puny bags but I went along with it. Turns out days AFTER I ordered and paid, I was in the shop and they told me they found out that price was THEIR dealer cost less shipping, markup, yada-yada. I figured we see where the "chips fall" when they got here. They came in the other day and I got the call. Get this....the retail for those 2 f**cking sacks is $80, yes EIGHTY!! Once again, I'm screaming "Oh My Sack!" So, if you got them with your complete bike, don't lose them if you like them!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I've been embracing the SWAT box on my 3 week old carbon Expert 29/6Fattie warranty frame. I got the door and the water bottle cage but NONE of the other standard equipped items like the downtube bags, etc. I thought it would be nice to have the bags for tube/pump/CO2 protection so I had my homies at the shop look up and order them. I thought they were a bit ridiculously priced when I was charged $26 otd for the 2 puny bags but I went along with it. Turns out days AFTER I ordered and paid, I was in the shop and they told me they found out that price was THEIR dealer cost less shipping, markup, yada-yada. I figured we see where the "chips fall" when they got here. They came in the other day and I got the call. Get this....the retail for those 2 f**cking sacks is $80, yes EIGHTY!! Once again, I'm screaming "Oh My Sack!" So, if you got them with your complete bike, don't lose them if you like them!
    That's Specialized for you.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    50
    I had a similar experience with the SWAT rolls or whatever they're called. Went to special order them, got quoted a price, laughed, and then decided a few old socks would suffice. Works fine and I don't hear any rattling in there.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    80.00? Seems like an opportunity for someone handy with a sewing machine to fabricate some custom artisanal SWAT sacks aftermarket. That said, I have a SWAT box on my bike (external) and thought not worse than the 80.00 sock price is lack of availability of the SWAT CO2 inflator head. Luckily my GI brand was able to squeeze in.

  44. #44
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,597
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    80.00? Seems like an opportunity for someone handy with a sewing machine to fabricate some custom artisanal SWAT sacks aftermarket. That said, I have a SWAT box on my bike (external) and thought not worse than the 80.00 sock price is lack of availability of the SWAT CO2 inflator head. Luckily my GI brand was able to squeeze in.
    My wife is a lifetime seamstress and Home Ec teacher in High School. That makes this purchase all the more stOOpid!

    Expect to see a line of custom swat burrito wraps in the near future from your's truly!

    I'm headed to the shop now to have them cancel the deal and ship it back...or whatever they decide to do.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    Oh My! Post some pics of the final product.

  46. #46
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,597
    Will do.

    I went in to cancel the deal and all the guys were in total agreement but then they just wittled the cost down so I paid an additional $3 for tax and took them. Now I have a pattern to work off of for my customized models.

    I need to study this thread as it continues to see what kinds of things guys would like wrap. Maybe I can make thermal burrito and taco wraps!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Fleece gloves make good stuff holders. The clips that hold the pair together let you pull them out together. One glove up and one glove down. Then if you get cold, voila, spare gloves.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,255
    If it helps anyone, I weighed the individual components of the SWAT box in this post:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...l#post13019726

    Some of the components (multitool, chain tool) are pretty ingenious, and amazingly light.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Streetdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,698
    My $80 bags (came with bike) already have wear holes in them after 6 months. Warranty item? Lol!
    Denver, CO

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    609
    Anyone with a Pro Enduro did your bike come with the chain tool?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    In real practice I have hardly ever used the glove compartment, SWAT box under the bottle cage, on a ride. I always end up using a pack because I want to carry more water.

    I have thought about storing water down there in a flexible bottle. For some reason that doesn't seem right to me.

    Has anyone been successful using the compartment to carry water?

    If I could fit my water filter in there, that would be awesome. I need to see if it will fit.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    In real practice I have hardly ever used the glove compartment, SWAT box under the bottle cage, on a ride. I always end up using a pack because I want to carry more water.

    I have thought about storing water down there in a flexible bottle. For some reason that doesn't seem right to me.

    Has anyone been successful using the compartment to carry water?

    If I could fit my water filter in there, that would be awesome. I need to see if it will fit.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Well you could take the other stuff out of your pack too.

    This filter is great, would easily fit . https://www.rei.com/product/890900/s...i-water-filter

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    29
    I have a 2016 Stumpy Expert. It came with the chain tool in the Headset and an extra master link and Specialized tool under the top tube. I put a 29" tube in the tube sleeve and two air canister, two levers and an extra derailleur hanger and some zip ties in the air tool sleeve. I also have a little shop rag in a plastic bag and a set of folding glasses in case, I'm getting older eyes aren't what the once were. Stumpy only fits a single water bottle for quick one hour or so rides, I live right near the trails, I water up and go. If I'm going to be out longer I take a small runners pack. If it's going to be a day trip its the camelback Mule. No matter what I decide to do the Swat set up has my basics on the bike and ready to go.
    Last edited by JPHI; 05-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHI View Post
    I have a 2016 Stumpy Expert. It came with the chain tool in the Headset and an extra master link, tool under the top tube. I put a 29" tube the tube sleeve and two air canister two levers and an extra derailleur hanger and some zip ties in the air tool sleeve. I also have a little shop rag in a plastic bag and a set of folding glasses in case, I'm getting older eyes aren't what the once were. Stumpy only fits a single water bottle for quick one hour or so rides, I live right near the trails, I water up and go. If I'm going to be out longer I take a small runners pack. If it's going to be a day trip its the camelback Mule. No matter what I decide to do the Swat set up has my basics on the bike and ready to go.
    That's a nice inventory of supplies!

    I have ordered a 750 ml Hydrapak brand soft flask with the idea of trying to stash it inside the SWAT compartment to extend summer after work rides while not wearing a pack. If it doesn't work, no big loss. A bottle like that will be useful anyway.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    113
    In my Camber I keep a Tube, 2 co2's & head, 2 tire levers in the specialized pouches. Zip strips, small roll of duct tape I put on a mini pencil, razor blade, stans core remover, and park tools patch kit in a old sunglasses pouch. It's pretty tight in there. I use jerseys to ride with so I just put food and phone in those pockets.

    Little hint for those who can't get by on 1 bottle. I grab a bottle of water in the grocery store brand with the really really thin plastic and put in my jersey pocket. Drink that first then you can take the cap off and smash it down and put cap on. Put it back in my pocket or in swat box.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    The 750 ml collapsible water bottle is too big to fit inside the downtube compartment. No way. I don't know what I was thinking.

    Related, a couple months ago one of the bottle cage bolts came free while riding and dropped into the frame, and caused the cage to rotate and hit my shin.

    With some difficulty I was able to get the bolt out by shaking the bike upside down. I reset everything with loctite.

    I'd like to store a decent pump in the frame. Any suggestions for a pump? It would be beautiful for me to always have a pump in there, clean, and handy with some excellent tire levers, and everything to rescue a ride from the worst types of flats. Stuff like a heavy duty needle and dental floss thread, plugs and awl, patches, boot material, 100ml of sealant, duct tape, thin innertube, etc.

    All that would weigh a piece though. I haven't had a flat on this bike yet. I have been riding this 27+ plus bike in 29er wheels this last year mostly.

    Time to try the 27+ size wheels again soon.

    Last winter I used the SWAT box for gloves and a jacket.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Correction: It was the bottle cage nut that fell inside the frame. I was lucky that I didn't lose the bolt on the trail. I was descending a long technical and very bumpy bit of single track when the bottle cage came loose, and at first I thought something disastrous was happening to the frame because of the noises the mishap produced.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    The 750 ml collapsible water bottle is too big to fit inside the downtube compartment. No way. I don't know what I was thinking.
    I carry a 750 ml foldable water bottle in my shirt back pocket. I transfer the water out to the regular bottle when that has emptied then fold it up and put back in pocket. It would fit inside the SWAT when folded as well but haven't bothered as it's unnoticeable in pocket when empty. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Vapur-10159-P...3WA?th=1&psc=1

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jack Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    For my purposes I think it would be useful to have a custom bladder with thin foam insulation in there with a port to a drinking/drain/fill tube. There's enough volume inside for a long ride in the desert. I bet someone has rigged something up like that.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 04 F2000SL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    659
    My 2018 Epic came with the cage & multi tool plus the intergrated breaker and spare link. The multi tool is of a high quality and is some sort of alloy so it shouldn't rust but it's not super soft like I expected a alloy tool.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12
    I have a camber expert 2018, but didn't get the 2 bags for storage a tyre an other tools.
    Is it possible that somebody can give some pictures of the bags and the dimensions?
    So that i can make the bags myself?

    Now i can't store a pump or other things behind the SWAT door.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchronnie View Post
    I have a camber expert 2018, but didn't get the 2 bags for storage a tyre an other tools.
    Is it possible that somebody can give some pictures of the bags and the dimensions?
    So that i can make the bags myself?

    Now i can't store a pump or other things behind the SWAT door.
    Tube socks and rubber bands
    I like bikes

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12
    Tube socks and rubber bands
    Yes that is an possibility, but i prefer the original bags.

Similar Threads

  1. Any ideas on how to track down a Specialized SWAT door?
    By kileyay in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 03:11 PM
  2. Specialized SWAT, alternatives
    By AndrwSwitch in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 09:24 PM
  3. Specialized SWAT Vest?
    By ezweave in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2015, 04:15 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 07:36 AM
  5. Specialized make cool noises
    By hanzo111 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.