The Other Dude

Got my 08 Stumpy FSR.....well sort of

Well, it came in the other day. Our shop got an 08 Stumpy Expert FSR test bike. We just got it built up today, and i took it home with me for some test riding. It weighed in at 28.15lbs on the Ultimate Scale with the Smarty pedals and reflectors. Its a really cool color, almost the same as my SXT but glossy, i really like it.

I am going to hit the trails with it tomorrow after work, i am pumped to give it a try. We also got a new Stumpy 29er, but its not an FSR.....all i can say is that thing is FAST! I am going back and forth between this stumpy expert fsr (i just fell in love with the color!), a trek fuel EX 9.0(already test rode the fuel ex8 and loved it) and a Stumpy 29er FSR. The cool thing about this bike is i get to give it a try and if i dont like it goes back in the test ride program, and if i do like it, i just put some money on it and its mine to ride whenever i want, and its totally mine sometime june for a nice price. I guess we will see what happens, i will be sure t post up a ride report tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Is that a large? Do you normally ride a large? It looks like the saddle is quite a bit forward, while most seem to push it all the way back due to the new seat tube angle and location. It will be interesting to see how you get along with it.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

The Other Dude
    Yeah, i normally ride a large, i just picked up the bike, and honestly have not even set it up for me yet, so thanks for noticing the seat, that will be a great place to start with the small tweaks. I am very interested to see how it rides. I honestly was going back and forth between the Fuel and the Stumpy FSR, but after riding the regular Stumpy 29er today, i really want to try the 29er fsr also.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I got to demo the 08 Stumpy FSR Expert for the last three days. What we did is tested the 08 Stumpy FSR against a 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon. Me and a friend kept switching back and fourth between the two bikes. When I first got on the 08 Stumpy FSR Expert it felt stiff and a little on the heavy side. I felt the bike kind of deflected off of obstacles, it did not have the plush feel of the 07. With a drop in rear shock pressure and a drop in tire pressure the bike started to come around. The first place we went was rocky single track. The 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon seemed like it floated over the stuff were the 08 felt stiff. After repeated rides through the same trials we both agreed that the 08 bike felt more efficient. Although in this terrain I enjoyed riding the 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon more. The second trip was to a place were the trials were sandy and fast with alot of logs. This is were the 08 shined. On climbs were I thought I might have to drop in the small ring I was able to stay in the middle ring with no problem with this bike it definately gave me confidence on the climbs. And when the trails got fast and rolling singletrack the bike was awsome. On downhills the 08 I was most comfortable in a neutral position on the bike as opposed to the 07 I felt better with more of my weight of the back. On this ride I enjoyed riding the 08 better.
    Now here is the million dollor question. Will the 08 S-Works Stumpy give me the best of both worlds? I'll have to wait until december to find out when my new bike comes in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How tall are you? At my LBS I ... sat on XL and L and while both of them felt way huger than my current 19" Rockhopper salesdude said that XL is more fitting for me. XL did feel massive for me though... I'm 6'2" with not very long legs.

mtbr member
    @Moto44, the 07 felt more comfortable further back because of the seat tube placement with respect to the BB versus the 08.

@GBH, I'm 6'1" with a 31" inseam and the large is great for me. Both the 07 and 08 work with their sizing, but I think I would have to use an offset post with the 08 just as I do for the 07. With the 08 and a setback/offset post, I might consider a smaller stem, but that's me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto44
    I got to demo the 08 Stumpy FSR Expert for the last three days. What we did is tested the 08 Stumpy FSR against a 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon. Me and a friend kept switching back and fourth between the two bikes. When I first got on the 08 Stumpy FSR Expert it felt stiff and a little on the heavy side. I felt the bike kind of deflected off of obstacles, it did not have the plush feel of the 07. With a drop in rear shock pressure and a drop in tire pressure the bike started to come around. The first place we went was rocky single track. The 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon seemed like it floated over the stuff were the 08 felt stiff. After repeated rides through the same trials we both agreed that the 08 bike felt more efficient. Although in this terrain I enjoyed riding the 07 Stumpy Pro Carbon more. The second trip was to a place were the trials were sandy and fast with alot of logs. This is were the 08 shined. On climbs were I thought I might have to drop in the small ring I was able to stay in the middle ring with no problem with this bike it definately gave me confidence on the climbs. And when the trails got fast and rolling singletrack the bike was awsome. On downhills the 08 I was most comfortable in a neutral position on the bike as opposed to the 07 I felt better with more of my weight of the back. On this ride I enjoyed riding the 08 better.
    Now here is the million dollor question. Will the 08 S-Works Stumpy give me the best of both worlds? I'll have to wait until december to find out when my new bike comes in.
    Nice post. That was very enlightning about the differences between the two models. By your review I may even consider get a 08 after I get my Enduro SL, because I think I'll have two very distinct bikes for each riding style, but I'd certainly keep my 07 if I had to have only one bike. The 07 rides just like you described, so I'll trust you as much on your words about the 08. Anyway, don't forget to bring us your riding impressions about your new carbon SJ.
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 10-24-2007 at 08:59 PM.

mtbr member
    I REALLY like that colour.. Shame about the pedals though!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

The Other Dude
    I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

mtbr member
    Great post Moto44!

This confirms other rumors I've heard that the '08 is more "Epic" like in it's ride vs. the '07 Stumpy. A few weeks ago I went riding with an out of town buddy who tested the '08 Epic Expert while I rode my '07 Stumpy. Midway, we swapped bikes. WHAT a difference (I know - it's Epic vs. Stumpy). But I do know that the '07 Stumpy is quite plush. I also feel it descends quite well, but the front end does wander a bit on climbs. Sounds like the '08 would fit right in the middle of the ride of the '07 and an Epic.

Might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, FWIW I'm 6'1" with a true 34" inseam. I'm riding an XL with a straight seatpost and a 90mm stem. The bike fits me really well. I could do a Large as well, but like some earlier posts, I just felt the seatpost was way too high. That's the biggest difference between the L and the XL. The XL's seat tube is 50mm (2") taller.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    @ pspycho,

If you're riding a Stumpy with a straight post and short stem, then you may feel a slight difference in position going to the 08. You will still be more forward and over (or in front of) the BB, but it shouldn't be as drastic as me going from an 07 large to the 08 large.

Also, I wonder how the smoothness of the 07 Carbon should be split amongst the following:

1. Frame geometry: you do sit further back on the 07 than the 08 with stock parts
    2. TALAS fork: linear spring and more travel definately make it different from the 08 F120
    3. Carbon fiber frame: Should absorb the high frequency jitters better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    @ pspycho,

If you're riding a Stumpy with a straight post and short stem, then you may feel a slight difference in position going to the 08. You will still be more forward and over (or in front of) the BB, but it shouldn't be as drastic as me going from an 07 large to the 08 large.

1. Frame geometry: you do sit further back on the 07 than the 08 with stock parts
    2. TALAS fork: linear spring and more travel definately make it different from the 08 F120
    Interesting, interesting...
    Here's a photo of the '07 Expert above the '08 Expert:

Your weight is definitely further back on the '07 - it's not huge, but definitely noticeable. The 140mm vs. 120mm fork has a big visual impact as well. Now I can see (comparing the two) how I'm centered more towards the rear of my bike riding an XL with a shorter (90mm) stem. If I moved to a Large with a 120mm stem, that should put me much more forward on the bike. (Even more so on an '08!)

mtbr member
    The 08 seat tube is 11mm forward over the 07, and a touch steeper. In addition, the 08 has a straight post versus the 16mm setback of the 07. Also, the large gained 5mm in ETT length over the 07, but I believe the other sizes are the same. The headtube gained in length to offset the 140mm fork of the 07, so the handlebar height should be similar. Overall, the 08 gained a bit in wheelbase over the 07 (about an inch for the large) which will also alter the feel of the bike.

When I sit on the 08, the difference is glaringly obvious; hence why I termed it a "grown up Epic" when the geometry first made the rounds online. As it stands right now, I wouldn't buy one without trying a laidback post. Of course, I would probably need a shorter stem as my 07 fits great, but the 08 is 5mm longer and I would add another 15mm or so to get my leg correctly positioned relative to the BB. If that combo didn't sell me on a test ride, then I would take a harder look at the Enduro SL or go elsewhere.

One other quirk is the lack of travel adjustment in the fork. The 07 tends to squat with a lot of chain force, and I can't imagine the 08 would be a lot better. I don't really care for the Brain, so that's out. On my 07, I have to drop the fork to 120mm or sometimes 100mm to offset the squat issue. The 08's seat tube design (angle/offset) looks to remedy a lot of the front wheel wandering during hard, technical climbing but at what expense?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Seat post angle

As discussed, the seatpost angle in 08 is considerably steeper. Theoretically, this puts our weight more forward. In reality, however, you would slide the seat back and your knee position relative to the bb would be the same. Thus, it really shouldn't matter what the seat post angle is. Depending uon your body, you may need a setback post, but at the end of the day, your body should be in the same position relative to the bb on the 08 as on the 07. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingy
    As discussed, the seatpost angle in 08 is considerably steeper. Theoretically, this puts our weight more forward. In reality, however, you would slide the seat back and your knee position relative to the bb would be the same. Thus, it really shouldn't matter what the seat post angle is. Depending uon your body, you may need a setback post, but at the end of the day, your body should be in the same position relative to the bb on the 08 as on the 07. Am I missing something?
    Yep, you're missing something. The seat tube angle is sharper and shifted forward a little bit. The problem is that the stock seatpost will not let you slide it back to the same position relative to the BB that you could on the 07 SJ. I know this from experience, as I have ridden the one we have at the shop. The shop manager has the seat all the way back, and it still isn't enough for his upper leg (femur) just like me. We are of similar height and inseam, and we both have the same problem with the stock setup of the bike.

Just like a tri-bike, the steep angle makes the rider either ram the seat back to compensate (and the 08 just doesn't have enough rail length stock) or the rider will have to "rotate" forward around the BB. In order for this to work for a lot of us, that means the bars have to be lowered relative to the saddle just like in typical XC race bikes (which, coincidentally, have steep seat angles too). All of that shifting backward with the saddle means that the original intent of the ETT length is now compromised and the cockpit length (basically, the grips to the saddle) will be even longer than originally designed. So, while being somewhat stretched out initially, you will be a bit further unless you shorten the stem. Once you shorten the stem, you've now completely altered the rider's position, and CG, relative to the BB and it might be outside of the design and be reflected in the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Student Driver - I appreciate the response and agree entirely. If, however, you get an offset post, you will be able to place yourself in the same position relative to the bottom bracket as on the 07. The weird thing is, I just bought a medium 08 Stumpy and the cockpit felt "short" even after fitting my knee over the center of the spindle with the pedals parallel to the ground (as I always do). I measured the tt exactly as directed by Specialized and come up with a tt which is approxmiately 22.8 when specs say it should be 23.25. With my knee over the pedal (seat pushed back) geometry should feel at least as long as 07 but it doesn't. I attribute this to the short tt. Do you think this is within the expected tolerances or should I complain? Thanks for your knowledge and input.

mtbr member
    Yep, I felt the same way as the large 08 felt short too. However, pay special attention to your lower back; it might be a lot straighter than on your previous bike. I fell in love with my 07 because of how my back curves when seated on it. My upper back has a tendency to be too straight, so I have to make a conscious effort to keep a slight curve. In addition, I keep a slight curve (almost sag) at my lower back in order to tolerate longer rides. When I get on the 08, it's like getting on a lot of other bikes. My legs immediately try to push me back and I try to fight the tendency to "fall forward" onto the handlebar like I do on my '97 Cannondale hardtail and other XC bikes I have been on. As a result, my lower back ends up being almost straight as well as my upper back, and I have to rotate my head upward and my elbows almost lock out.

If you wanted to ride it as it was designed, you would curve your lower back and drape your hands onto the grips. This is what you see XC racers do, and they typically have the saddle above the bar. When you do this, your torso will be rotated lower and you still keep a good angle open between your torso and femur.

For example, my 07 has the saddle slightly below the bar under sag. As a result, my torso probably sits at around 1 o'clock when viewed from the side. This lets me keep the bar up and I have a nice angle to keep my abdomen open (for breathing) and good femur to lower leg angle to deliver power.

On the 08, the design would favor someone with his torso much closer to 2 to 3 o'clock (just as you would see on an Epic). This would allow for aggressive climbing without much movement from the "normal" position in the saddle, whereas on my 07 I tend to drop the fork a bit and lean forward. And, since the rider is already setup for this angle he will still deliver a great deal of power even with the increase of pitch.

If you try to change this, using a different seatpost, upright stem, etc, you begin to compromise an already compromised design (remember, every bike is a compromise) to make it more suitable for your upright position. If you take someone who regularly rides an Epic (and likes the position) he will probably feel it's more upright and a touch roomy, while the 07 SJ FSR riders will feel it's awkward and tiny with the stock parts.

The next time you get on it, try to keep your back curved as you would on a normal XC race bike and see if you can lower the handlebar a little. That will "open" it up a bit, although it might not be the final position you're looking for in a trail bike. I still feel that this design was to cater to their ultimate trail bike target with the S-Works, and that it's meant to be the new weapon of choice for long haul racing. While that's great, I prefer the slightly relaxed and more upright design of the last one. It isn't XC aggressive, but it isn't as upright as the Enduro SL. This new SJ is a bit racy for me stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For the moment I'm using a Ritchey WCS seatpost on my Stumpy Fsr, it has 25 mm of setback. I have changed the stem for a Thomson X4 70mm with 0 degrees uprise, and still lowered the stem with 10 mm. I presume that I'm now also sitting more XC on my bike, but for me this feels great.

The Other Dude
    That is one thing i noticed also, the large did feel a bit short compared to my epic or 06 SW Stumpy i had, even with the longer stem that comes stock with it. With that being said, i normally get lower back pain when riding the epic, but none with this bike, it was really nice, maybe i could get used to it. I would like to try a layback post also just to see how it feels, maybe i will swap the one off of my SL for the day.

The one thing i LOVE about this bike is the small bump compliance, its really nice, the brain is just a flawless transition from firm to open, its really, really nice, if the specialized fork works that well, the higher end versions will be amazing.....with that being said, i really liked this bike. It does really feel like a grown up epic, its fast, fun and comfortable. The suspension is great, i really hammered on it and it felt very stable. I dont know if it was the tires or the bike, but when i was really pushing hard, the bike was just VERY predictable, you could really feel when the tires were about to break loose unlike other bikes/tires that just go all of sudden, you could really feel it in the corners and also when you were breaking, it just inspired confidence and like i said was very predictable, i had a blast on it. I am not sure which way to go yet, i really want to ride a stumpy 29er fsr also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So jut8, which way are you leaning at the moment, the Stumpy or the Fuel EX??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've tried both 07 and 08 stumpy FSR, 08's cockpit is definitely shorter. Fortunately for me, it's fit me like Gold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    That is one thing i noticed also, the large did feel a bit short compared to my epic or 06 SW Stumpy i had, even with the longer stem that comes stock with it.

The one thing i LOVE about this bike is the small bump compliance, its really nice, the brain is just a flawless transition from firm to open, its really, really nice, if the specialized fork works that well, the higher end versions will be amazing.....with that being said, i really liked this bike. It does really feel like a grown up epic, its fast, fun and comfortable. The suspension is great, i really hammered on it and it felt very stable.
    Thanks jut8,

So how plush would you call the ride vs. an Epic, '07 or older Stumpy, and even your Enduro SL? I really enjoy my '07 Stumpy Pro, but I'm guessing the '08 is a bit more "racey." That might be what I'm looking for as I don't want an Epic, but wouldn't mind riding it's slightly more plush big brother...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    Thanks jut8,

So how plush would you call the ride vs. an Epic, '07 or older Stumpy, and even your Enduro SL? I really enjoy my '07 Stumpy Pro, but I'm guessing the '08 is a bit more "racey." That might be what I'm looking for as I don't want an Epic, but wouldn't mind riding it's slightly more plush big brother...
    Let me take a guess at this...

Plush to Firm

Enduro SL, 07 or older Stumpy (especially considering the Brain), 08 Stumpy, Epic.

Now, if you get on an 08 Stumpy w/o the Brain, the plushness should be somewhat similar, but your position on the bike is what's different. Remember, using the stock parts you are a bit further away from the rear axle so you have less leverage on it. That combined with a slightly revised geometry in the linkage and shock and it should feel like you're ready to race, just using more travel.

It's lighter and with a more "aggressive" geometry. If you, and the shops, just try setting it up like it's an Epic and not like the older Stumpy the correct demographic will love it. I am a little more "all mountain" I guess, but maybe I will learn to love the Enduro SL.

mtbr member
    Let me take a guess at this...

Plush to Firm:

Enduro SL, 07 or older Stumpy (especially considering the Brain), 08 Stumpy, Epic.

Now, if you get on an 08 Stumpy w/o the Brain, the plushness should be somewhat similar, but your position on the bike is what's different. Remember, using the stock parts you are a bit further away from the rear axle so you have less leverage on it. That combined with a slightly revised geometry in the linkage and shock and it should feel like you're ready to race, just using more travel.

It's lighter and with a more "aggressive" geometry. If you, and the shops, just try setting it up like it's an Epic and not like the older Stumpy the correct demographic will love it. I am a little more "all mountain" I guess, but maybe I will learn to love the Enduro SL.
    Thanks SD!

I live in IL where some may call MTB'ing an oxymoron...

I like to ride the local trails (all of two within 25 miles of where I live) and an occasional trip to Kettle Moraine. The '08 should be perfect for my locale and for the occasional XC Race (sport class) I like to ride in. Now I just need to convince the wife that I "need" to buy another new bike/frame...

mtbr member
    Oh... I get it now.

I just posted these in the tire pressure thread, and might give you an idea of why I like the older geometry better (at least with the stock parts). The first is of the 50 year trail, and it's a smooth section. All those rocks on the sides, including the boulders, are typically in or on the trail. The second one is from www.sdmb.org of the Whiskey Off-Road race, and that's a lot closer to what we see in southeastern AZ with all those rocks. That's what we call "loose", but those very same rocks can be in the hardpack and you either setup the bike to deal with them or bounce around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oh... I get it now.

I just posted these in the tire pressure thread, and might give you an idea of why I like the older geometry better (at least with the stock parts). The first is of the 50 year trail, and it's a smooth section. All those rocks on the sides, including the boulders, are typically in or on the trail. The second one is from www.sdmb.org of the Whiskey Off-Road race, and that's a lot closer to what we see in southeastern AZ with all those rocks. That's what we call "loose", but those very same rocks can be in the hardpack and you either setup the bike to deal with them or bounce around.
    Very Cool!

I've only had the pleasure of riding in AZ once - White Tank Trails. Lots of fun and my first very rocky, switchback experience. I'm looking forward to riding out there again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Top Tube Legnths Could Be Wrong!

I bought a medium Stumpjumper fsr Comp. Felt kind of short considering a top tube which is supposed to be about 23.2 inches. When I measured it was well short of that. The shop ordered another and had the same problem. The shop and I both called Specialized and we both got calls back stating that the published top tube number was wrong! I was told the true legnth was more than 15 mm shorter than the published legnth! Take this into account when buying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingy
    I bought a medium Stumpjumper fsr Comp. Felt kind of short considering a top tube which is supposed to be about 23.2 inches. When I measured it was well short of that. The shop ordered another and had the same problem. The shop and I both called Specialized and we both got calls back stating that the published top tube number was wrong! I was told the true legnth was more than 15 mm shorter than the published legnth! Take this into account when buying.
    Wow. I measured a medium and it was shorter than that 23.x" measurement it's supposed to be. However, the Large seems correct.

Members who have read this thread: 0