Ghost shifting on 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ghost shifting on 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Does anybody have any advice for correcting ghost shifting on a stock 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite? Brought back to the dealer already once, and correction was a small twist of gear cable. However, the issue resurfaced on the very next ride already. Tends to happen most on the lightest first two or three gears and sometimes on the heaviest two gears too. Essentially, it will just switch out of gear totally on its own, which carries all kinds of problems and risks, not to mention is incredibly annoying and slows me down tremendously.

As well, switching to 4th or 5th gear sometimes requires a full 2 or 3 pedal rotations before it switches into gear. I was told it takes time for the cables to stretch out, etc., but don't know how much this is true and if so, how much time is likely needed? Is this normal?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have you LBS adjust your derailleurs. My LBS gave me 3 months of free tune-up to adjust and tweak my bike. If your bike is new, you may be experiencing cable stretch. The metal cable in your shifter cables will stretch so slightly that it causes your derailleurs to do shift when they're not supposed to.

mtbr member
    My 2011 Elite is about 6 months old and I started getting a bunch of ghost shipping the last couple weeks. A quick rear redailleurs adjustment fixed the the issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    what adjustment did you make to the rear derailleur? my LBS only adjusted the cable to the gear shifter by half a turn. when i tried to replicate it the next time it happened on the trail, it simply didn't work for me that way. i played around with that cable for 30 minutes, adjusting in small turns each time and then in the other direction, all with no end success. very frustrating.

mtbr member
    it maybe your cable is just to short and when you fully compress your suspension it's pulling your cable and causing it to shift. Remove your shock and if your cable pulls tight before your suspension fully compresses, then there's your problem.

mtbr member
    I told my LBS what was going on and they fixed it. They give 6 months of free adjustments so it didnt cost me anything. Out on the trail I tried adjusting the barrel adjust near the shifter but it made it worse. I think since the 10 speed gearing is a lot thinner and closer together than a 9 speed it is a bit more sensitive.

mtbr member
    My '10 stumpy elite had this problem--slow shifting on a few of the middle cogs and lots of ghost shifting. A couple trips back to the LBS couldn't resolve it, nor did lubing the cable, adjusting how it ran under the BB, etc. Finally I found that both the High and Low adjustments were just slightly off (low wasn't low enough; high wasn't high enough). If those aren't just right, it throws off the indexing for all of the gears.

If you want it done right, do it yourself. Take your time, disconnect the chain and cable and make sure your H and L screws are set so the mech runs directly under the high and low cogs. While you're at it, make sure the "B" screw places your mech as close as possible to the big cog. That can also help speed up shifting. After you've got the 3 screws properly set, reattach your chain, and cable and adjust it.

Check shimano.com's tech tips section for more.

I suspect my LBS and many others are tempted to under-adjust the high and low set screws since they don't want to risk chains falling off and getting jammed into the wheel or dropout.

Also the 10 speed is actually less sensitive to mis-adjustment than the 9 spd. since Shimano has now moved to a longer Sram-style throw.