FSR Brain S-Works Gen 1 or Gen 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

FSR Brain S-Works Gen 1 or Gen 2?

I just bought a brand new 2008 S-Works Frameset. It was old stock, and got it from a Spesh Dealer whom made me a deal I could not pass up. It is Carbon/Red. It has the Brain Future Shock Fork, and Brain in the rear obviously. I have heard stories that the older Brains were problematic. Any idea if the 2008 is the newer generation, or the older version? I can tell you they totally redesigned the S-Works in 08, and added Carbon Seat stays and new shock placement. Anyone really familiar with the 08 bikes that can shed some light? It came with XTR front derailleur too.

I have an 04 Pro I will be taking the XT crank, XT brakes, and wheels off of. Nice thing about this frame-kit is it's pretty comprehensive having forks, post and front DMD. Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There were problems with the 2008, it was the main year for problems. However if it does fail they will upgrade the seals inside which fixed all the problems so you'll have no problems. Keep your receipt and you'll be well looked after.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    There were problems with the 2008, it was the main year for problems. However if it does fail they will upgrade the seals inside which fixed all the problems so you'll have no problems. Keep your receipt and you'll be well looked after.
    Interesting, is it possible just to order somewhere this set of seals? And unfortunately enduroforkseals doesn't manufacture for specialized AFR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    It figures I got the one with the issues. Iwould have hoped they had it figured out from the previous years. I do have a receipt and it is under warranty so for that Im thankful. Thx fo the reply.

mtbr member

What year?

The '08 frame design was similar to the ordiginal back to '03. They changed the design and moved the shock position in '09.

Regardless, a good rule of thumb is that all the Fox built shocks had good reliability. The problems were with thier branded shocks. I beleive the '07-'09 had non-Fox shocks.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    SE Racing PK Ripper Loop Tail