Epic FS 2021 on-way?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Epic FS 2021 on-way?

Have noticed that almost all models of the 2020 Epic FS are sold-out at the moment.

Will we have a new model ready for the Olympics?

Anyone been able to get some info?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Have noticed that almost all models of the 2020 Epic FS are sold-out at the moment.

Will we have a new model ready for the Olympics?

Anyone been able to get some info?
    Yes, the new epic is coming this summer. But no pics or prices yet, the first models will come to europe in July.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Yes, the new epic is coming this summer. But no pics or prices yet, the first models will come to europe in July.
    The Tokyo Olympics are in July, I doubt they will release an un proven rig right at that time.

Its unfortunate but no Olympic contender is riding a Epic

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    The Tokyo Olympics are in July, I doubt they will release an un proven rig right at that time.

Its unfortunate but no Olympic contender is riding a Epic
    Really, Rissveds is not a contender.....seriously?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And Annika Langvad.

mtbr member
    Would think weíll get a glimpse of prototype testing.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    SE Racing PK Ripper Loop Tail

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ View Post
    Would think weíll get a glimpse of prototype testing.
    The info is from a Specialized dealer who got the information from Specialized. I am not making things up. Surely we will see the new bikes this spring. I think that the reach will be a little longer and the head angle 68,5 with the beefier head tube just like the hardtail

mtbr member
    The info is from a Specialized dealer who got the information from Specialized. I am not making things up. Surely we will see the new bikes this spring. I think that the reach will be a little longer and the head angle 68,5 with the beefier head tube just like the hardtail
    Didnít mean to imply you where making anything up. Meant to say we should see some prototype testing soon Iíd bet.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

Elitest thrill junkie
    No brain issues anymore. For realz!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Live valve has it's own set of problems

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No one forces you to buy their product, that's the nice thing about a free market.
    Seems odd to me you keep purchasing a product that you bash in every single thread that talks about it. Move on already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dealer event next week, maybe more about Ebikes tho.
    Pretty good at everything, but not really good at anything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnriden View Post
    Dealer event next week, maybe more about Ebikes tho.
    If they came out with a new epic what would be new about it? The 2020 models have the new Rockshox Sid ultimate at least in name, the frame is already one of the lightest around. If all they do is slightly alter the head angle...

They need to introduce a new wheelset with it or something but again they have a great wheelset and they aren't progressing to wider tires like Scott is. Scott's new bike will reflect the huge changes the race team is using like 2.4 tires on wide rims, 120mm rear 110 front and perhaps some more integration like the one peice bar stem

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If they came out with a new epic what would be new about it? The 2020 models have the new Rockshox Sid ultimate at least in name, the frame is already one of the lightest around. If all they do is slightly alter the head angle...

They need to introduce a new wheelset with it or something but again they have a great wheelset and they aren't progressing to wider tires like Scott is. Scott's new bike will reflect the huge changes the race team is using like 2.4 tires on wide rims, 120mm rear 110 front and perhaps some more integration like the one peice bar stem
    Guarantee they will have a wider XC Wheel set by the Olympics. 30IW is my guess as they already have a gravel wheel that wide.

mtbr member
    I've got 99 problems, but the Brain ain't one

(I currently ride a Scott Spark)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    I've got 99 problems, but the Brain ain't one

(I currently ride a Scott Spark)
    You got 99 problems and thats the number of cables

But to be more honest, the number of shocks with problem on the new Spark are almost the same.

mtbr member
    I would expect to see something new around Sea Otter. Will be interesting to see if they stick to the standard FSR or move to the new Enduro layout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I would expect to see something new around Sea Otter. Will be interesting to see if they stick to the standard FSR or move to the new Enduro layout.
    The 2018+ Epics were not FSR. They move to single pivot with that change. That was a pretty big change and there was a big change with brain design/location. I doubt there will be major changes 3 years on, but could be smaller geo tweaks and other minor adjustments.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Specialized needs to get an extremely good trail bike to market that is cheap. Giant is going to kill everyone with the upcoming in house suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Slightly slacker, stiffer, roomier rear triangle? Brain as an option, now that Bikeyoke do a kit for the current frame?

Iím kinda secretly hoping they make a new, dedicated Camber, not just lobotomized Epic and Stumpy

mtbr member
    Specialized needs to get an extremely good trail bike to market that is cheap. Giant is going to kill everyone with the upcoming in house suspension.
    I know this is a spesh thread, but can you share info/link on what Giant might have coming?

I'm finally going to get full squish and like Giant for their warranty, amongst other things.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oh the irony, I post this then they drop a $16,525.00 bike the next day...

I own a S-WORKS Epic and that's a lot of money but damn... and e bikes aren't even allowed on any trails I know of

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Enduro-Linkage would be stupid, because this would loose the second bottle-option, which is a major USP of the Epic

@04 F2000SL
    Here in Germany U could ride everywhere with a ebike, like with a normal bike. This is a pitty. They burn up the hill and in the downs they stand in the way, because most of them even don't know how to ride ab bike
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just saw this thread. Would love to hear if there are any more rumors about a new epic. I am currently shopping around for a new epic and am wondering if I should hold off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rm424 View Post
    Just saw this thread. Would love to hear if there are any more rumors about a new epic. I am currently shopping around for a new epic and am wondering if I should hold off.
    I imagine the Wuhan virus has screwed any sort of estimates or production / development of nearly all bicycle companies for 2020.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I called Specialized Customer Service yesterday to see if they were going to get any more 2020 Epics in stock (I'm particularly interested in the EVO model), and he said they "most likely" will not get any more 2020s in stock, and that "most likely" the 2021 models will be released in late spring to early summer. He said they're kind of kept in the dark as well, and I don't doubt him. Looks like I'm holding off for a few more months in the hope that they release something new.

mtbr member
    Seems like at some point Brain will be made obsolete by either Live Valve-type systems or full AXS integration, i.e. wireless-lockable and fully configurable suspension/dropper post combo.

For now I'm guessing everyone in the industry is revising availability based on the coronavirus freak-out.

mtbr member
    The info I got mid-February from ridercare is for the Epic HT, but maybe it might relevant re Spesh product cycles:

"You may be able to find an Epic Hardtail frame in a Specialized retailer somewhere in the US but we will not be getting them back in stock until the 2021 model year begins on July 1. "
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Is this a common occurrence with Spesh or other brands? I haven't bought a new bike in forever so I wasn't sure. It seems odd that they would sell out six months or more before a new model is released.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BespokeTrailMix View Post
    Is this a common occurrence with Spesh or other brands? I haven't bought a new bike in forever so I wasn't sure. It seems odd that they would sell out six months or more before a new model is released.
    It's quite normal with Specialized. Here in Norway, I've gone to the dealer demos several times (typically early august), wanted a bike, and found it was sold out. Last year we went to try the Diverge, and ordered immediately. The only bike left in my size/model was a colorway that probably wasn't pop, but bought it anyway. The phenomenon seems to happen most to the mid- to high end models.

Think it is both a good and a bad thing. They create a "rush" in the market, and sell bikes at normal price, rather than overstock and dump them next season. It also means that there won't be lots of bikes rusting because nobody want them I guess...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Things confirmed for 2021 S works Epic, new head tube angle, Rockshox Sl Brain fork, new Control Sl wheels, more plush and sensitive brain and this isn't confirmed but with the new Epic HT being the lightest HT ever I expect Specialized to be more competitive with the weight for the FS, so expect the frame to weight in Supercaliber territory or even better Spark territory. You can also see Christopher Sauser photos from IG of the cape champion race and see the bike with the wider Control Sl and the new fork.
    Last edited by bikerwarrior; 03-14-2020 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    More detailed photos of future Epic parts.
    New brain fork based on Rock Shox Sid 2021 and new Roval wheelset.
    From the colour of fork and ROVAL decals it is possible to think about new colour scheme of bikes.

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-1.jpg

Name:  RockShoxSID2021_det.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  86.5 KB

mtbr member
    I really wonder about the internal width of the new rims, and whether both front & rear are equal or like Duke Lucky Jack / Crazy Jack SLS2 different widths.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hi,
    Is it known if the new Rockshox Sl Brain 2021 fork has the first centimeters of free travel as the 2020 model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FfeLuiS View Post
    Hi,
    Is it known if the new Rockshox Sl Brain 2021 fork has the first centimeters of free travel as the 2020 model?
    https://bikenetwork.co.za/specialize...icial-release/

It comes standard with 15mm but it can be changed from 0-30mm, what a time to be a specialized fan

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerwarrior View Post

Viene de forma estŠndar con 15 mm, pero se puede cambiar de 0-30 mm, quť momento para ser un fanŠtico especializado
    Gracias,
    pero tiene que hacerlo un mecŠnico, y creo que esto tambiťn podrŪa hacerse con 2020, Ņverdad? O eso parece leer por aquŪ

mtbr member
    Any additional rumors or pics of the new epic?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mostly just posting as a shortcut to subscribe to this thread, but I will add that I still love my 2018 Epic (self)-Evo. It did take me a while to sort out how to set it up because I mostly ride 160+mm bikes. I've been running way more air then recommended (autosag is 195PSI and I run 225 ...on my digital pump) and barely any rebound so the bike is super poppy. Combine that with the light wieght and it just floats over the trail. Since I do focus on Enduro racing, most of my training is standing, out of the saddle which works well with this set up.

I'll go on record say, I like the Brain in the back --running a Pike Ultimate up front --because of the acceleration factor. People who complain about the brain probably just need to get their ass out of the saddle on the rough stuff.

mtbr member

It comes standard with 15mm but it can be changed from 0-30mm, what a time to be a specialized fan

Interesting. I will be very interested in how well this fork works vs. the previous generation. I have a 2019 Epic with a Brain fork and was highly disappointed in it. (I started what turned into a long thread here on this topic.) Hoping this new tune will provide the ability to have a firmer platform that will eliminate the bob I was getting on my 2019 when climbing or sprinting out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches View Post
    Interesting. I will be very interested in how well this fork works vs. the previous generation. I have a 2019 Epic with a Brain fork and was highly disappointed in it. (I started what turned into a long thread here on this topic.) Hoping this new tune will provide the ability to have a firmer platform that will eliminate the bob I was getting on my 2019 when climbing or sprinting out of the saddle.
    The 2019 Version had so much room for improvement they would have been better off not making it.....hoping the 2021 is much better and uses the new chassis......the marketing material alone that has been introduced looks to be better.

Leg Shaver
    Praying the new eipc EVO has no brain

These should hit any time now I am sure
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    Praying the new eipc EVO has no brain

These should hit any time now I am sure
    Itís coming soon here. Also youíll be quite happy to see what theyíve done with the evo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseonthebike View Post
    Itís coming soon here. Also youíll be quite happy to see what theyíve done with the evo.
    I'm guessing the Evo is brainless, front and rear and maybe slightly longer, lower, slacker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I'm guessing the Evo is brainless, front and rear and maybe slightly longer, lower, slacker.
    Of course I canít definitely say yes but pretty much that.

mtbr member
    If you have the info and details, just spill the beans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    If you have the info and details, just spill the beans.
    Updated brain, evo brainless and flip chip, 29mm wide wheel set for both, geometry changes, frame design. Those will be the main new talking points on both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Updated brain, evo brainless and flip chip, 29mm wide wheel set for both, geometry changes, frame design. Those will be the main new talking points on both.
    Hummm ...i have been waiting to see if they do a new Stumpy ST to slot in between my 2018 Epic (self-Evo-ed) and 2020 Enduro, but the new Epic Evo might be tempting as an S-Works frameset and a custom build out.

The geometry on the current Epic Evo works for me, but a bit longer and slacker would work better ...not sure I want it lower without more knobs on the rear shock because even with the brain and running way more air then AutoSag, I get the occasional pedal strike when climbing over rocks.

Even as a self-declared suspension tweaker usually running the stuff with the most knobs on it, I like the brain on the back of my current Epic Evo because the bike can be set up to perform consistently in both seated and standing riding positions.

Living in Texas, I would hate to give up the two water bottle cages.

I would rather have the SWAT and add a few hundred grams on an Evo version, but I can totally understand XC racers not wanting the added weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hummm ...i have been waiting to see if they do a new Stumpy ST to slot in between my 2018 Epic (self-Evo-ed) and 2020 Enduro, but the new Epic Evo might be tempting as an S-Works frameset and a custom build out.

The geometry on the current Epic Evo works for me, but a bit longer and slacker would work better ...not sure I want it lower without more knobs on the rear shock because even with the brain and running way more air then AutoSag, I get the occasional pedal strike when climbing over rocks.

Even as a self-declared suspension tweaker usually running the stuff with the most knobs on it, I like the brain on the back of my current Epic Evo because the bike can be set up to perform consistently in both seated and standing riding positions.

Living in Texas, I would hate to give up the two water bottle cages.

I would rather have the SWAT and add a few hundred grams on an Evo version, but I can totally understand XC racers not wanting the added weight.
    Itíll still run the double bottles and the swat box. For the rear shock itíll have some more anti squat tuned in to help. Also from what I know there will be no updates to the stumpjumper this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    What about weight? My lbs told me they might release on May, that's true?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    What about weight? My lbs told me they might release on May, that's true?
    The s works frame should drop around 100 grams. And yes sometime in may.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

The epic 2021 evo you describe look like the old camber !

I own the sworks 2018, I put a 120mm fox sc34, the bike is better with for me and till light 10,25kg this but I like also the brain.
    I used to ride a 2015 sworks camber, it was a very light bike (10,8 kg), I hope the new evo is going to be ligth like that.

the difference between the two bike is that the epic is more reactive and the camber more supple. both bike are very quick to ride!

The s works frame should drop around 100 grams. And yes sometime in may.
    last time it was at the end of june month.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by louit32 View Post
    Specialized released the 2019 Stumpjumper in mid-April 2018. I realize that's a different model but it wouldn't be weird to see a new Epic in May.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BespokeTrailMix View Post
    Specialized released the 2019 Stumpjumper in mid-April 2018. I realize that's a different model but it wouldn't be weird to see a new Epic in May.
    Thereís a couple other models coming in may not just the epic line up. Things got delayed somethings were meant to come last month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

I own the sworks 2018, I put a 120mm fox sc34, the bike is better with for me and till light 10,25kg this but I like also the brain.
    I used to ride a 2015 sworks camber, it was a very light bike (10,8 kg), I hope the new evo is going to be ligth like that.

the difference between the two bike is that the epic is more reactive and the camber more supple. both bike are very quick to ride!

Yeah itís sorta like the camber but itíll still feel like a epic just brainless and be in similar weight range as old epics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah itís sorta like the camber but itíll still feel like a epic just brainless and be in similar weight range as old epics.
    What about the suspension: full Rock Shox with new SID 35? Or will they keep 34 SC forks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Interesting. I sold off my 2018 selv-evo'ed Epic and have been running a '17 camber for xc-stuff since. With a 130mm revelation and control carbon wheels (renegade) it was sub 12kg. Liked the handling better, even if it pedals worse.

After the original Revelation fork died, I ran it for a while with a 150mm yari, now on a replacement 130mm fork, and I think I lilked it better with the 150mm - for xc and trail. Incredibly plush, a monster on the downs, and can't say it made the rig feel much less efficient.

Still keen on a new Epic Evo, might be just what I'm looking for - as long as brain is optional and there is better room in the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by markus_krk View Post
    What about the suspension: full Rock Shox with new SID 35? Or will they keep 34 SC forks?
    I know on the s works it goes to sid but for the lower models Iím not entirely sure Iím pretty sure it stays rockshox. That would also be the rear the sidluxe. Donít have the spec sheet on that model with me currently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wondering what the dropper lengths are going to be on the EVO?

Speculating 125 on the M and L and 150 on the XL?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Cannot take the suspense of an Epic EVO with no Brain! Specialized please release a teaser already!

mtbr member
    Maybe accidentally drop a geo chart here...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    Cannot take the suspense of an Epic EVO with no Brain! Specialized release a teaser already!
    there is a teaser?

you have the link?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    there is a teaser?

you have the link?
    No there really isnít anything you can easily go see. Iíve seen a few pictures of both they are quite different from the current models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'd like to know if the covid-19 delay the release of the new bike for let the shop to sell the 2020 bike in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't suspect there is a ton of 2020 inventory to sell. Just speculating as the Epic is marketed as a "race" bike and most racers that plan already have their bikes set up. But what do I know, I just want to see the new update.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I'd like to know if the covid-19 delay the release of the new bike for let the shop to sell the 2020 bike in stock.
    No most bikes have been sold out for a while and stock in shops are getting low. Covid 19 has just made things worse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    I don't suspect there is a ton of 2020 inventory to sell. Just speculating as the Epic is marketed as a "race" bike and most racers that plan already have their bikes set up. But what do I know, I just want to see the new update.
    Any Specialized shop can tell you what the current inventory is for any model/trim/size so just ask. I know Specialized likes to keep a few of the current model frames on hand because in the past there was always a rash of "broken" frames needing warranty replacement ...your warranty replacement will likely be an S-Works, so no crying about it. Also, they have not discounted the current version too much relative to, say, the 2019 Enduro just before the 2020 came out.

TLDR; not much stock left.

Leg Shaver
    Thanks. Frame only option would be a dream too

mtbr member
    No there really isnít anything you can easily go see. Iíve seen a few pictures of both they are quite different from the current models.
    So the Epic rear suspension has a different suspension layout? Is the shock still under the top tube or is it lower in the frame?
    Last edited by EPICYZ; 05-04-2020 at 04:58 AM.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

So the Epic rear suspension has a different suspension layout? Is the shock still under the top tube or is it lower in the frame?
    Itís still mostly the same just some design and mounting changes.

mtbr member
    My LBS said the Ď21 is delayed until June do to Covid. Confirmed no brain for EVO.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-20200505_203519.jpg

Please be what I think it is

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Picture is broken

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Could this picture be for new Roval wheels, since the decals are blue and doesn't go with the color scheme of the bike or kit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    New model should be out by June 10th - at least here in Denmark.

mtbr member
    June in the US.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

TCJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Brain

If the brain goes away on the EVO, what changes as a result?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    If the brain goes away on the EVO, what changes as a result?
    Riders will have to think for themselves ...at least as far as finding the balance between a platform to pedal against and enough squish to take the edge off the repeated bumps.

TCJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Fair enough! I guess I'm just wondering in anticipation whether spec will/would feel the need to design around its absence in some way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    Fair enough! I guess I'm just wondering in anticipation whether spec will/would feel the need to design around its absence in some way.
    Yes the entire rear end is gonna be designed around the evo. If you wanted to change between a normal epic and the evo you would have to re build the rear end completely with different pieces.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Mostly just posting as a shortcut to subscribe to this thread, but I will add that I still love my 2018 Epic (self)-Evo. ....

I'll go on record say, I like the Brain in the back --running a Pike Ultimate up front --because of the acceleration factor. People who complain about the brain probably just need to get their ass out of the saddle on the rough stuff.
    Also interested to stay up on the thread for when Spesh drops the 2021 Evo...but, like GH said, I don't know why you'd want to go no-Brain. When I first bought and built up my 19 Epic Evo I figured it was a gamble and there was a 50.50 chance I'd sell it and go back to a bike with a remote lockout (Rocky Mtn Element was the other final contender on my list since it also fits two bottles, and I've heard the XL Pivot Mach4 can fit two bottles on the downtube). Now I can't imagine ever going back to the inefficiency of non-Brain lockout systems and all the thought you have to put into locking and unlocking, unlocking and locking, ad nauseum. Too much to think about and deal with at hour 9 of a hundred miler.

The older Brains had serious durability/serviceability issues, sure, but from a pure usage perspective, the Brain is a phenomenal piece of tech. It's miles ahead of XC bikes with manual lockouts; and if you'd rather get an efficient short travel bike but don't want a lockout, there are a lot of 120mm trail bikes that go uphill well...

GH -- curious why you went Pike rather than Fox 34/34 Stepcast -- any thoughts? I'm planning on upgrading the 34 Stepcast (Performance Elite, no lockout) to either the new Sid 35 with a lockout or the Pike in a 130mm travel for a little extra squish up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gubbinalia View Post
    GH -- curious why you went Pike rather than Fox 34/34 Stepcast -- any thoughts? I'm planning on upgrading the 34 Stepcast (Performance Elite, no lockout) to either the new Sid 35 with a lockout or the Pike in a 130mm travel for a little extra squish up front.
    It came down to the Pike having a better range of LSC in the 120mm size. At the appropriate sag, I can lock out the Pike using the LSC or open such that it provides no LSC. On the Fox Grip and Grip2 damper, the range of adjustment is too narrow. I can neither achieve a firm enough or soft enough adjustment for the variety of trails I ride.

Plus the Pike Ultimate comes in Silver.

mtbr member
    The older Brains had serious durability/serviceability issues, sure, but from a pure usage perspective, the Brain is a phenomenal piece of tech. It's miles ahead of XC bikes with manual lockouts; and if you'd rather get an efficient short travel bike but don't want a lockout, there are a lot of 120mm trail bikes that go uphill well....
    I happen to love my 2018 Epic. When the rear brain works it is just perfect. Feels HT efficient and FS plush all at the same time. I never need to think about it. I do run a Fox 32 SC in front because I don't want the Brain in the fork. Unless I am standing to sprint the front end rarely moves and I keep it open. Maybe this because the bike feels like HT that I rode for years before the epic. I still also ride Singlespeed HT so again I like that rear end feel and softer front. On SS (fox 32SC also) use my remote to lock out front on smoother standing climbs keep the efficiency high, but on the Epic there is a lot more seated climbing.

It will be interesting to see how an Epic performs without the brain when tuned by specialized themselves. Do hope all the reliability issues in the 2018 vintage rear brain are resolved.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    It came down to the Pike having a better range of LSC in the 120mm size. At the appropriate sag, I can lock out the Pike using the LSC or open such that it provides no LSC. On the Fox Grip and Grip2 damper, the range of adjustment is too narrow. I can neither achieve a firm enough or soft enough adjustment for the variety of trails I ride.

Plus the Pike Ultimate comes in Silver.
    Yeah, that makes sense...the overall feel on the Pike is definitely a step up even apart from the adjustability. Do you think that the Grip 2 damper just doesn't have a wide enough high/low spectrum on the LSC, or is it a valving issue? Since Fox is doing a Grip 2 option for the 34 this year (link below), it should be a step up from the Fit4 in some regards.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-an...aver-2020.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, that makes sense...the overall feel on the Pike is definitely a step up even apart from the adjustability. Do you think that the Grip 2 damper just doesn't have a wide enough high/low spectrum on the LSC, or is it a valving issue? Since Fox is doing a Grip 2 option for the 34 this year (link below), it should be a step up from the Fit4 in some regards.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-an...aver-2020.html
    Honestly, I don't know what is up with the Grip2. According to Steve at Vorsprung it has plenty of range of adjustment. All I know is that on my 2020 Specialized Enduro with Fox 36 Factory/Grip2 at 170mm and me weighing 170lbs, it only feels good going really, really fast. At the proper sag and with zero tokens, I have to run the fork wide open --almost no compression damping to get even 65% of the travel. I have tried dozens of different setups and really don't like this fork. To me it's like the HSC is set such that the minimum setting is still too much for my weight and riding style ...which is not tame by any measurement. I'm like going to do an Avalanche Open Bath cartridge next time I have some downtime.

You mentioned that you might go 130mm on your fork. When I have been riding my 170mm bike and jump on my 120mm fork, I usually wish I had that extra bit of height on the front. 130 actually opens up the possibilities to a lot of different forks beyond RockShox and Fox. I would have gone with the Formula Sevla R had I gone 130mm.

mosstrooper
    May 2020
    Honestly, I don't know what is up with the Grip2. According to Steve at Vorsprung it has plenty of range of adjustment. All I know is that on my 2020 Specialized Enduro with Fox 36 Factory/Grip2 at 170mm and me weighing 170lbs, it only feels good going really, really fast. At the proper sag and with zero tokens, I have to run the fork wide open --almost no compression damping to get even 65% of the travel. I have tried dozens of different setups and really don't like this fork. To me it's like the HSC is set such that the minimum setting is still too much for my weight and riding style ...which is not tame by any measurement. I'm like going to do an Avalanche Open Bath cartridge next time I have some downtime.
    Huh, that's bizarre. Could it have something to do with a custom fork tune that Spesh ordered for the new Enduro? I can't imagine they sell enough of whatever that build is (must be a top end build if you got Factory-level sus) to make that a reasonable idea. FWIW, I just upgraded to the same fork, but in 150mm travel, on my Rocky Mtn Instinct and have been blown away by how much of an improvement it was over the 140mm 34. Beyond just the obvious addition stiffness and travel , the small bump sensitivity is so much better and I have next to no mid-stroke wallow. So precise in rock gardens and zero deflection in braking bumps. And, best of all, I'm having no trouble using full travel -- even to the point where I'll probably put in another volume spacer to make things a little more ramp-happy! (I'm 190lbs, but far from an aggressive rider...slow and back at choosing lines)

You mentioned that you might go 130mm on your fork. When I have been riding my 170mm bike and jump on my 120mm fork, I usually wish I had that extra bit of height on the front. 130 actually opens up the possibilities to a lot of different forks beyond RockShox and Fox. I would have gone with the Formula Sevla R had I gone 130mm.
    Cool idea, I will definitely check out the Formula in more detail -- haven't rode one but the reviews I've seen online are pretty enticing. Could go with the MRP Ribbon SL, too. I would love to jump on something that I could run at 130, with a little more sag, and have a suppler stroke at the top to soak up the abundant roots we have here in NH/VT. My general impression of the 34 SC is that it has to be run like a "race fork" (ie., very stiff) to keep yourself up in the travel, which is great for hammerfests but not awesome for everyday riding. Then again, that's what the bigger trail bike is for! :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any news on release?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any news on release?
    I was at my LBS this afternoon ...man are they busy AF with this everyone and their brother getting new bikes. Talk to the shop manager who told me they have agreed to keep the release date on lockdown so couldn't say anything about the date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Did you at least saw the bike catalog?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did not. Interesting idea ...the shop manager did go to the computer and say let me see, but I was too dumb to snap to the probability that he may have allowed me to sneak a peak. I'll be back in there tomorrow so I'll work on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any rumor or speculation on changes to geometry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I saw the catalog last week. Not a deep dive, but in general:

Cool new colors on the Epics, one candy apple red with matching fork. Epic frames looked identical to current models, but again, not a long look. Evo doesn't have the brain. It looks like you can no longer buy the Epic frame without the new SID fork, which sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStoryDrop View Post
    I saw the catalog last week. Not a deep dive, but in general:

Cool new colors on the Epics, one candy apple red with matching fork. Epic frames looked identical to current models, but again, not a long look. Evo doesn't have the brain. It looks like you can no longer buy the Epic frame without the new SID fork, which sucks.
    Please tell me that is like this one
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-download-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, if that's not it, it was really close. The lowers on the SID were painted to match as well. Picture i saw looked like it had metallic flake, but could have been the screen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStoryDrop View Post
    Yeah, if that's not it, it was really close. The lowers on the SID were painted to match as well. Picture i saw looked like it had metallic flake, but could have been the screen.
    Thank God they put that color on an Epic

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Not sure if you guys have the current red epic in the US, here in NZ the 2020 epic expert was that colour. Link here
    https://www.specialized.com/epic-exp...=264132-171232

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzkiwi View Post
    Not sure if you guys have the current red epic in the US, here in NZ the 2020 epic expert was that colour. Link here
    https://www.specialized.com/epic-exp...=264132-171232
    We do have that colorway in the US on the 2020 Epic Expert Hardtail. I wonder if the 2021 epic red is more like the new Diverge red colorway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-divergered.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Were you abe to see if the shock is Fox or RockShox?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Is there lockout on the EVO since it doesn't have the Brain?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Next week Roval will reveal the new SL wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Next week Roval will reveal the new SL wheels
    Just about to get some custom wheels for my current generation Epic Evo ...may wait ...what is known/speculated on these new wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just about to get some custom wheels for my current generation Epic Evo ...may wait ...what is known/speculated on these new wheels?
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-20200523_212440.jpg

Those are the new wheels, by the looks of them they're wider than their predecessor, maybe lighter. We don't know much of them.

Formerly of Kent
    Subscribed only for Roval SL content.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I speculate they will be 29-30 inner width and weigh 1450 grams.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Really curious on how the brainless Evo will be and if it's possible to get that shock into my 2019 Epic to get rid of the brain.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Iím guessing they use the Terra CLX Evo rims.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Iím guessing they use the Terra CLX Evo rims.

Doubt it as those are hooked and 32mm deep...these are clearly
    more shallow as they should be.

Formerly of Kent
    Huh?

The Terra CLX Evo are 25.3mm deep, according to Specialized.

https://rovalcomponents.com/products/terra-clx-evo

Also, according to various reviewers, they are in between traditional hooked and hookless rims.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Well we don't know to much about them, but I'm assuming they're not going to be the lightest but they will be fast

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-roval.jpg

roval post this today, new roval sl?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    I got the weight wrong. The specs for the new wheelset are 29mm internal width and 1240 grams. Dang that is light!

mtbr member
    https://www.rovalcomponents.com/coll...ol-sl-team-ltd

But only 24 spokes front and rear. That worries me a bit...and what's up with the blue only decals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rafaelblu View Post
    Translated text
    New Specialized Epic S-Works 2021! Wait for more details! Clear changes in the rear Brain, changes in the geometry of the down-tube, new SID suspension and new Control SL wheels. The unconfirmed information is that the frame reduced 110g in weight - which would leave the bike below 9kg without pedals (considering the weight of the suspension, wheels and frame). It doesn't exist yet - it hasn't been released - but here you've seen

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    https://www.rovalcomponents.com/coll...ol-sl-team-ltd

But only 24 spokes front and rear. That worries me a bit...and what's up with the blue only decals?
    Wow, $750 more expensive. The last wheels were very well priced at $1900. $2650 is up there. More than Enve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Wow, $750 more expensive. The last wheels were very well priced at $1900. $2650 is up there. More than Enve.
    But what other wheelset with 29-30 ID with real hubs (Not Extralite, Tune, etc that need more special car) are there that can match the weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

epic 21 lay-over on epic 20

I laid the new epic over the old to get a look at geometry changes. Not a perfect process of course, but gives some idea of changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-epicovn.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    But what other wheelset with 29-30 ID with real hubs (Not Extralite, Tune, etc that need more special car) are there that can match the weight?
    That front hub with eliminated front axle using fork's thru-axle instead possibly also falls in needing more special care category? No?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraction View Post
    Translated text
    New Specialized Epic S-Works 2021! Wait for more details! Clear changes in the rear Brain, changes in the geometry of the down-tube, new SID suspension and new Control SL wheels. The unconfirmed information is that the frame reduced 110g in weight - which would leave the bike below 9kg without pedals (considering the weight of the suspension, wheels and frame). It doesn't exist yet - it hasn't been released - but here you've seen
    Damn that bike looks sick, even though the fork black would've look better. I doubt it weights below 9 kg. Maybe 9.2 to 9.4 more likely, regardless it looks light and fast. I found my new bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by markus_krk View Post
    That front hub with eliminated front axle using fork's thru-axle instead possibly also falls in needing more special care category? No?
    It could. Hard to say at this point, but the say they have reduced bearing size. The pictures make it look VERY thin and might actually be nearing the Tune/Extralite category.

The last 2 generations of Control SL wheels have had front bearing issues. They are VERY thin bearings and can get wonky quickly. They are also a slight PITA to replace.

The weight is crazy low on these and I love the width. But I would have gladly kept it in the 1350g range with the wide rim and more durable bearings up front. Still, I'm sure my wife will pick up a set as she isn't as hard on bearings as me.

As we are not running anything narrower than a 2.25" these days (and wider with no racing in sight), the larger ID would be welcome.

Formerly of Kent
    Newmen on 180s.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    i have heard the cost increase is to cover the new more generous crash replacement/warranty policy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    FWIW i ordered the new wheels today, i will share info if/when i get them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-p5pb18762279.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    You could get there with BTLOS rims on DT180s too, with or without Berd spokes. Even with CXray it would match the weight, at half the cost. The roval hubs on these new wheels look like DT180 variants.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    You could get there with BTLOS rims on DT180s too, with or without Berd spokes. Even with CXray it would match the weight, at half the cost. The roval hubs on these new wheels look like DT180 variants.
    They have DT internals (EXP ratchet), but the spoke interface, brake rotor type, the weird no-axle thing, etc are all different.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    the new control SL, 2750 dollars en the usa and 2000 euros in france, 500e cheaper in France... thanks the marketing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Are they going to eliminate the rear shock Brain system?

I suppose that for the Fork you can update your 2020 SId with the new Brain in case that you want to new settings.

On the actual Sid, the free float can be also reduced to zero, easy and straight forward process.

Thanks,

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I believe head angle on evo is 66.5 with adjustable(assume to 67) That said the std epic is likely 67.5 - 68 (only a guess)Not sure BB height

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the release date for the Epic/Epic EVO? With this much "leaked" info out there, it has to be soon.
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Early June, like June 10th I believe. The new SID is already shown on their site as well as the new wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Early June, like June 10th I believe. The new SID is already shown on their site as well as the new wheels.
    Pushed again, now June 23rd. Hoping to get mine on order ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Does anyone have any idea on prices? Did the pandemic affected the price?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does anyone have any idea on prices? Did the pandemic affected the price?
    Which version?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sellnit View Post
    Which version?
    S Works Frame Price?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sellnit View Post
    Which version?
    sworks complete versions

mtbr member
    EVO Pro is going to be over $9k.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    EVO Pro is going to be over $9k.
    Now tell us what the cheapest version is going to be!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cavec162 View Post
    sworks complete versions
    Epic S-Works 2021 Over $11,500+ with Power Meter, and the new wheels, so you have that going for you! Can't late until launch date to see one in the flesh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any idea on the frames or a XTR version? because $11,500+ is a complete joke

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    my friend just bought his son a new crf250r for $7500. what gives with bike prices!!!!!!!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    my friend just bought his son a new crf250r for $7500. what gives with bike prices!!!!!!!!
    One of them is capable of being raced in world-level competition. The other is $100,000-200,000 short.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any idea on the frames or a XTR version? because $11,500+ is a complete joke

Epic Evo Comp $4125.....wait a few weeks all of the details will be out, or go pry some info from your local dealer. I'd only expect to see S-works frames for sale, and if the recent past has been any indication those will be $4-5000.00 for forkless or with fork. Remember none of us NEED this stuff, but sure can be nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    So am I getting crazy or the wheels when they announced them where for $2650? The page now has them at $2750.

keb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You're not getting crazy I've noticed the same same 100 USD increase.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    $4100

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New rear brain and rear brake layout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-20200601_152112.jpg  

Last edited by bikerwarrior; 1 Week Ago at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Any specs and price for the Epic Pro version?
    Wishlist for specs are
    Sram X01 AXS shifting or XT version
    RockShox SID SL Ultimate BRAIN
    Control SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Picture is missing

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Bought a Epic S-Works 2020 and all is being changed for 2021... what a disappointment!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Never buy a bike of the year before the Olympics, the big brands usually bring new bike to the Olympics.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Canít believe theyíre continuing with that Brain garbage. A WiFi remote lockout would have been a much bigger story.

mtbr member
    I rode Epic's for at least 15 years, Scott Spark 900 RC for the past 4 years. Main reason for the switch was the unreliability of the Brain. A real eye opener, I never looked back and haven't missed the Brain one single day.

I don't think many Scott Spark riders switched back to an Epic?

NP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I rode Epic's for at least 15 years, Scott Spark 900 RC for the past 4 years. Main reason for the switch was the unreliability of the Brain. A real eye opener, I never looked back and haven't missed the Brain one single day.

I don't think many Scott Spark riders switched back to an Epic?
    A lot have happened in 4 years... The old generation ain't as good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NP View Post
    A lot have happened in 4 years... The old generation ain't as good.
    Apparently not on reliability level ...

NP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Apparently not on reliability level ...
    According to me it has.
    If you want twin lock. Buy a chiner. Anyone can do it 😁

Handmade in Switzerland
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-c871f375b61905ffe5a4f1f2a5eb7520.jpg

mtbr member
    How about some EVO pics? I know they are out there.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Do you guys think that the new Sid fork or the new brain adapted to the fork has a very significant change Vs 2020?

I could consider on changing the fork or just the system for the new one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmluquer View Post
    Do you guys think that the new Sid fork or the new brain adapted to the fork has a very significant change Vs 2020?

I could consider on changing the fork or just the system for the new one.

Yes!
    I checked a SID ULTIMATE BRAIN vs. SID SL Brain , the new one feels smoother...

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by editionblack View Post
    Yes!
    I checked a SID ULTIMATE BRAIN vs. SID SL Brain , the new one feels smoother...
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you think that if I only change the fork Brain 2020 for 2021 would be feasible? Really worth it?

I am frustrated with all these changes after a 10k investment.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you think that if I only change the fork Brain 2020 for 2021 would be feasible? Really worth it?

Upgrade the damper and keep the rest. Carbon steer tube is unique

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for your reply.

i run a SID SL with a 2020-Brain. is the same cartridge , only the Setup is different.
    Means, 2020 you have 25mm free Travel , in 2021 thy changed to 15mm free Travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Does anyone know if the 2021 brain is going to use an IFP or a bladder?
    To me the use of an IFP would mean admitting failure with the 2018 Brain model.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    While you could be right I would not automatically jump to that conclusion. For one, mine works well but forget about me... Manufacturers are always looking for change. Sometimes its with optimism for improvement but sometimes they do go backwards. Also, if they can simplify and only lose 5% performance but save 15% mfg costs they will consider OR to market a new unit to help sell with equal performance but NEW is the best way to sell things. Bikes are not that complex but there is HUGE marketing effort to sell a new, bike every three years. Marketing 101 and mfg 101 - change things and look for performance upgrades, or at least changes and reduction in costs. Ever liked your previous bike more than your new but eventually you be comfortable on the new, but it still may not be better. S is the very best at all of this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    New epic will have a head angle at 67.5 and the chainstay will be 4 or 5 mm shorter than the old version

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I think you mention the Evo with the 67,5?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    As far as i've been told it is the "normal" epic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    I think you mention the Evo with the 67,5?
    EVO is 66.5
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Helbo View Post
    New epic will have a head angle at 67.5 and the chainstay will be 4 or 5 mm shorter than the old version
    If I didn't already really like the current Evo, I would be looking at this new Evo. I don't think I would want the chainstays shorter unless the seat-tube is considerably steeper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am really not quite sure if they have even advertised the bladder thing of the Brain. I believe most of the users have no idea what's in there. They said it's more responsive, but that's not only due to the bladder but the position of that 'sensor'.
    I'd like to see some real development here like Fox's live valve. That's innovation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lampee View Post
    I am really not quite sure if they have even advertised the bladder thing of the Brain. I believe most of the users have no idea what's in there. They said it's more responsive, but that's not only due to the bladder but the position of that 'sensor'.
    I'd like to see some real development here like Fox's live valve. That's innovation.
    An electric brain would be where it needs to go but I'm not against a reliable version of what we have now

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    this. At least the Brain is mechanical and not subject to electrical faults (not that it doesn't have its' own issues) but that fox system is still a band-aid at best, just with added battery and electronic nonsense (and ridiculously overpriced). The idea of ramping up compression as a stand-in for increased spring rate is such a poor concept, I am not sure why it continues to be used. you don't see that in any other system or sport that uses suspension. If anything, having some sort of mechanical lockout would make more sense, or some kind of instantly adjustable springrate. Compression restriction just leads to harshness, an unhappy damper and a kludgy bandaid on a problem it's not equipped to solve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looks like you can see a cable port right in front of the shock mount on the underneath of the top tube. I know it has already been stated the EVO model will be brainless, but this could mean it will have manual lockout, and will be curious if there are options for a brainless 100mm epic.

keb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You're right, kriedel. It sure looks like a port. BTW - where is the port on top of downtube where rear brake hose currently goes in/out? Different rear brake hose routing perhaps also?

mtbr member
    The powermeter is still the current Quarq model, I was expecting a new one would pop-up anytime.

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-scott_spark-rc-n1no-ltd-edition_msa-2019_image-jochen-haar_jha_2361-b2eb0fa.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The powermeter is still the current Quarq model, I was expecting a new one would pop-up anytime.

That's a spark running on a road powermeter

mtbr member
    Looks different to me?

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-sram_red_axs_quarq_d1_powermeter_kurbelgarnitur_50-37_z_hne_dub_schwarz%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_0887.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looks different to me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRAM_RED_AXS_Quarq_D1_Powermeter_Kurbelgarnitur_50-37_Z_hne_DUB_schwarz[640x480].jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1338685

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1338687
    Same one dude, if you remove the cover with the Q on it, it reveals the standard round battery cover.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    do we know what axle spacing will be yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Helbo View Post
    Anybody hear the CS length of the EVO?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    this is factory PM. I read that quarq is not planning yet to release this model for mtb.
    for the road version, the price for changing the chainring is very expansive like 400 !

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieKelly View Post
    do we know what axle spacing will be yet?
    Well the new wheels are boost 110/148, the new SID SL is boost 110....sooooo pretty safe to assume the frame is boost 148.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by editionblack View Post
    i run a SID SL with a 2020-Brain. is the same cartridge , only the Setup is different.
    Means, 2020 you have 25mm free Travel , in 2021 thy changed to 15mm free Travel.
    And you can change the amount of Free Travel on the '19 & '20's.
    It's not hard at all.
    There's a video of how to do it here on this board.

keb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus-G View Post
    And you can change the amount of Free Travel on the '19 & '20's.
    It's not hard at all.
    There's a video of how to do it here on this board.
    Hi, can you post a link, please? I've been looking on Spesh thread but could not find it. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There is a link to the fork details including the free range adjustment in this thread.

My understanding is the wheels all are sold now so not sure this info will help any of you..

I got the wheels today. 1269g for the set with tape and valves on my park tabletop scale. I am guessing that the rim is about same weight (360g) as the outgoing 25mm version because the hubs are surly light. Front hub end caps much harder to change than the prior roval models, bummed about that. Also the blue is not a sticker and there were no other stickers to cover the blue up so I hope you are ok with blue decals if you need these wheels. The brake rotor interface is a little wider than any of my current wheels as well so I will have to re-space all my other rotors to match these wheels. The spokes are T head which is cool, and the wheels came with some spare labeled spokes which was very nice surprise and a wheel bag. Spokes do not overlap/touch each other.

I am hoping to get a quick ride in today.

Apparent my fork got covid or something because it is in quarantine somewhere so no reports on that. I would add a picture but have not figured out how to do so from my tablet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-6e856c9e-19f2-4e78-98ed-d7f6a4e330b8.jpg
    Last edited by drwuss; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    Hi, can you post a link, please? I've been looking on Spesh thread but could not find it. Thank you.

Can't find the video again but here's the instructions with pictures.....
    https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...t-1119609.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by drwuss View Post
    It's a Fast Trak in 2.3, right? How wide is Fast Trak on the rim?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drwuss View Post

Name:	6E856C9E-19F2-4E78-98ED-D7F6A4E330B8.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	1339285
    Can you tell the bearings size of the front and rear wheel.
    Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tire measures 2.33Ē with my calipers. Tire is nearing end of life though so I am guessing a new tire of the same make will be a 2.2 or so. The skin wall fast Trak seem to me a little smaller than the non skin wall when I measure them. The non skin wall are made in Vietnam (I believe this is specialized factory) and the skin wall are made in Thailand, where Lyon/Vittoria are made and the construction of the tire looks very much like a Vittoria... as a side note the skin wall tires inflated easily with a high volume floor pump. I plan to put some s works renegades on the wheels soon.

As for front bearings, inner diameter is same as the axle, 15mm. Outer is very close to 25mm, and about 5mm in width. The hub looks like an old school road hub when I look down at it. There has been a lot of material removed , several threads from the sram ti rotor bolts are hanging out the back side of the disc mount.

I put about 20 miles on the wheels yesterday and they rode well. Less harsh than my other wheels of similar size and the lighter weight was noticeable compared the the traverse sl (older 1550g model) that was on the bike. I do not know if there is any difference between the front and rear rim. They look to be the same part but layup could be different. I will say these were tensioned very evenly, with the front having a slightly lower tension than the rear, maybe to make the wheel ride softer?? I also felt like I wanted to run less psi in the wheels, canít explain why or come up with logical reason so I will ride the wheels some more as is before making any adjustments.

I am surprised at the color for these wheels, the blue is cool, but does not seem to match any color ways of the bikes I see customers wanting to put the wheels on. Most of the s works customers I dealt with wanted simple subtle colors, like black on black. I suspect we will see a more subdued version of this wheel for the next production run.

As for the epic, I am crossing my fingers I will be able to get an evo frame in a color that will look good with these wheels. The info I have been able to round up about the evo is very promising. A slightly longer legged epic with these wheels is an exiting prospect for me. I also have heard that there will be an XS size for the new epic. I also hope that there in an xxl, but have heard nothing about an xxl.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Does anyone knows if there's going to be a S works XTR version like the 2020?

mtbr member
    Does anyone knows if there's going to be a S works XTR version like the 2020?
    I believe the new EVO Pro is going to have XTR so I would bet there will a standard Epic with XTR.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any new news? I'm desperate

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any new news? I'm desperate
    June 23rd launch date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    What does the clay color look like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Epic: 100/100 brain, 67.5 HTA
    Epic Evo 120/110 no brain, 66.5 HTA
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...d6fe8#p1576325

Goes to 11

Evo sworks 2021

I think I will keep my 2019 EVO expert, for some reason i like the brain just fine...

But that 66.5 HA is intriguing, will wait for reviews and might add an AngleSet headset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-whatsapp-image-2020-06-14-12.50.14.jpg  

Last edited by TheNewOriginal; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:53 AM.
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytourist View Post
    Epic: 100/100 brain, 67.5 HTA
    Epic Evo 120/110 no brain, 66.5 HTA
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...d6fe8#p1576325
    This could be a game changer for me. Love the Epic and owned every model until 2016 but got tired of the brain in the end. Test rode an 18 but still found the brain a little frustrating. An SW Evo without the brain may tempt me away from my 2019 SW Stumpy,
    or if I can afford it, add to the bike garage.
    Decent colours too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    anyone know about the aluminum version of the epic evo 2021 ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast