Epic FS 2021 on-way? - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'll order a frame now. The one with marble colours. It's a surprise the black is sold out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    The old epic chainstay guard worked just fine. I couldn't wear it out... dont know why they put this new thing on
    Having had the epic chainstay protectors on my previous bikes I can honestly say that this new one makes the bike so quiet. I have it on my 2019 SW Stumpy and I noticed how quite the bike was the first time I rode it. I canít deny itís a bit ugly and probably a bit heavy but from a quietness point of view the difference is very noticeable.
    Iím a bit of a weight weeny but will be leaving this in mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Agree on the chainstay protector - it really works. Super-quiet bike, and in my book totally worth the extra grams.

Not too happy about the G2 brakes. They stop well enough, but theres far too much travel on the levers so I have to dial them all the way out and stretch my finger to reach them, otherwise they will hit the handlebars. Brand new bike with just a couple of rides - might have to bleed them and see if the stock bleed is off. Doesnt seem to be air, just way too much travel. Tried the ęindexingĽ trick on the prev bike, but that`s a silly band-aid solution.

Threw away the guides on my prev Stumpy for the same reason (went Shimano Zee) but gotta admit it hurts swapping brakes on a bike this expensive!

mtbr member
    Level ultimate seems to be the same but they do have great power

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Finished my build with the new Rovals. First Epic Iíve owned to go under 9.5kg. Very happy with the build and the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-1ac08c37-6086-4632-94fe-01b1b49cdcaa.jpg  

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-19bf10c1-b58c-4595-8399-5792c81918ef.jpg  

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-cb729631-4c28-434e-b173-116588dc2976.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works Boy View Post
    Finished my build with the new Rovals. First Epic Iíve owned to go under 9.5kg. Very happy with the build and the ride.
    Stunning!!
    Be great to see your build spec. The weight is amazing!
    Iím aiming to get my SW Evo build below 22lbs with AXS dropper post. The lighter non brained frame is cancelled out by the heavier forks immediately. Iíll be fitting Rocket Ron 2.25 tyres at 610g each, the liteskin version will be too fragile I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks! It's a full XTR group with M9120 cranks, 36t chaining, 10-45 cassette, and stock Specialized parts, being 700mm Prowess bars, 90mm SL stem, 143mm Power saddle, 2.3 tires. More weight could be shaved off with 2.1 tires and M9100 cranks (but I don't know if the narrow Q-factor would allow the arms to miss the stays or not).
    I prefer the new geometry and the new wheels are truly amazing. With each ride I feel a little bit better about the astronomical price increase on the frameset and the wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks! It's a full XTR group with M9120 cranks, 36t chaining, 10-45 cassette, and stock Specialized parts, being 700mm Prowess bars, 90mm SL stem, 143mm Power saddle, 2.3 tires. More weight could be shaved off with 2.1 tires and M9100 cranks (but I don't know if the narrow Q-factor would allow the arms to miss the stays or not).
    I prefer the new geometry and the new wheels are truly amazing. With each ride I feel a little bit better about the astronomical price increase on the frameset and the wheels!
    The price increases are mental as always, bikes are subject to the most inflation ever!! My first S Works Stumpy in 1999 cost me £2200. The top bike is now 10.5k, mental. Mugs like me keep paying it though!
    The wheels shaving another 100g off in a crucial area would be tempting but theyíre not available in the Uk. I think they had one pair that sold immediately. They are obviously on the stock SW bikes but thatís it.
    Last edited by Pete N; 1 Week Ago at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    What has actually been done in the shock when itís called RX XC-tuned? Whatís the difference to a normal stock one?

I can see that both the SIDLux and the Fox one is named RX XC-tuned in the specs.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by aland33 View Post
    What has actually been done in the shock when itís called RX XC-tuned? Whatís the difference to a normal stock one?

I can see that both the SIDLux and the Fox one is named RX XC-tuned in the specs.
    Fairy dust and marketing BS.

Maybe more low speed compression.

I have 4 shocks I will be trying on my frame when it arrives.

Stock
    Ohlins
    Fox DPS remote
    DT Swiss R535 remote

Will eventually let everyone know if there is any difference.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mwb
    mtbr member
    The brake hose and shifter cable go over the BB and into the stays. There's a rubber boot filling the gap between the stays and the seat tube. Nice and neat! The stays have cable guides preinstalled.

Attachment 1343915
    Can anyone with a frame shed some more light on this boot? I'm looking at an Evo and when I saw the routing I was very curious.

How is the boot secured to the frame? I'm wondering about its longevity....if it will crack/rot over time.

I'm also curious about the rubber boot at the headtube entrance. I've seen pics in various tests and the boot was out of the frame in a number of them. It also worked its way out of the frame on the demo I rode. Have folks had trouble keeping theirs in place?

It drives me nuts when plugs/caps/grommets for internal routing constantly work their way loose. I currently own a Chisel and really liked the way the did the routing ports on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    You could definitely get that lower if desired. My 2018 Epic Pro FS with both brains Is at 20.2 lbs. Switching to the non-brain setup front and rear I estimate I can break into the 18s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looking at the Standard and EVO frames, it's easy to see how the leverage rate is different based on where the shock mounts to the linkage.

If I remember correctly, I read that the EVO has increased anti-squat to make up for the lack of the "Brain". However, looking at the frame, it appears that pivot is in the same location on the seat tube. In my understanding, for a single pivot, that would mean the same / similar anti-squat values between the two frames.

Anyone have any insight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    got my wheels back and bike built. 21lb 15oz with pedals.
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_1510.jpg
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_1506.jpg
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_1511.jpg
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_1507.jpg
    Last edited by tony110672; 1 Week Ago at 04:11 PM.
    2021 Specialized S-works epic EVO
    2020 Specialized epic hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cant figure out the sideways photos. sorry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    got my wheels back and bike built. 21lb 15oz with pedals. yahoo
    You said Berd spokes, right? What rims and hubs did you end up with, and what was the final weight of the wheel build?

Bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah, black berd spokes, nextie 320gram 27mm internal rims and dt swiss 350 straight pull hubs. 1231 grams before tape and valve stems. really happy with the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    You said Berd spokes, right? What rims and hubs did you end up with, and what was the final weight of the wheel build?

Bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    never owned a specialized before a couple months ago and now have 2.Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_1512-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ok, so a few more hours in the evo. I`m currently running more pressure in the shock and less in the fork than the calculator suggested. Really happy with it now, super comfy on chatter, ok on medium hits, great on big hits.
    Also running more rebound damping than suggested on the shock - hardly any bob, yet good on bumps. Have done a few long gravel climbs back to back with my diverge, and faster on the evo - its stiffer when locked out due to no future shock, and rolls better on the rough

Have hacked the G2s to get shorter throw in the levers.

Really chuffed. Never had a bike that delivers this much out of the box - it can do anything!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    hi guys, did you compare the fox rear shock with 3 positions (firm, medium and open) and the rock shox ultimate with 2 positions (firm and open)?

I think that the fox seem to be a better idea, open for downhills, medium for pedaling and firm for climbing.

I'm looking for a sworks frame but just the pro model is with the fox suspensions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Have hacked the G2s to get shorter throw in the levers.
    Can you say more about that or point me in said direction. Did some googling and didn't see much; maybe my google-fu is weakened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was worried going with the 2 position SID but getting some seat time in I prefer it to the 3 position fox. If you arent going with a remote lockout the shock is so far up in the frame that its easy to reach and the spring load in the knob is quick so you don't have to fiddle with it, just a light tap and you've switched modes.

Climbing in the firm setting wasn't as bad as expected, oddly enough it felt like the middle setting on the Fox which is mostly all I ever switched to. This is on east coast rocky/rooty climbs.

I'm coming off an SB100 and a Ripley V4 play bike. All I'm gonna say for now is this thing is a rocket up and downhill. The SID suspension is light years ahead of Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg86 View Post
    ...I'm coming off an SB100 and a Ripley V4 play bike. All I'm gonna say for now is this thing is a rocket up and downhill. The SID suspension is light years ahead of Fox.
    Thanks for the write-up. Curious about how you'd describe your Ripley's ride compared to the Epic Evo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. Curious about how you'd describe your Ripley's ride compared to the Epic Evo.

I still have to get some more rides in between these bikes but the Epic Evo descends better than expected, not as well as the Ripley but on a 1-2min downhill section you're talking seconds so really splitting hairs. The Ripley will be more playful tossing around but the Evo will surprise you.

I do have a Pike waiting to go on the Ripley so that may stretch these 2 further apart in the descents.

In the corners the Epic Evo turns in so well, it wins out if you're on tight trails which was surprising because the Ripley has been one of the best cornering bikes I've ridden. The Evo is an XC bike in the end so this isn't a surprise but I figured the slack head angle would have change the characteristics.

On the ups the Epic is obviously going to win with one caveat. You are going to get some peddle bob not being on a DW link suspension, it is what it is. If you want to get out of the saddle and mash through the trail which is most likely what you'll be doing on the Epic Evo you'll be switching that lockout.

It's hard to compare the two bikes because the Ripley is something I'd pull out to have a chill play ride. I'd be reaching for the Epic Evo if I want to put in some hammer time miles and get some PR's. The Ripley is no slouch though, on a 10 mile loop I do to compare bikes its only a few minutes behind straight XC bikes.

I'll compare some more with some seat time but as of now I'm really liking the Epic Evo. It makes me not want to look at geo numbers before jumping on bikes as to not have any predispositions since the Evo is on the tamer side of these modern geo bikes.

Side note: Another bike to look at is the Transition Spur. I've never ridden one but with everything I've seen it looks like it would be smack dab in the middle of the Evo and Ripley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I still have to get some more rides in between these bikes but the Epic Evo descends better than expected, not as well as the Ripley but on a 1-2min downhill section you're talking seconds so really splitting hairs. The Ripley will be more playful tossing around but the Evo will surprise you....
    super! thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-20200729-160338172-i-os.jpg

New bike replacing a Spark RC PRO 2019. Come with 9.5kg (~21lbs) in Large size. I only have changed the grips for ESI and added XTR pedals. Amazing how this bike is fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kindows View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729-160338172-i-OS.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	1352379

New bike replacing a Spark RC PRO 2019. Come with 9.5kg (~21lbs) in Large size. I only have changed the grips for ESI and added XTR pedals. Amazing how this bike is fast.
    Please compare the Spark RC and Epic. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Please compare the Spark RC and Epic. Thanks,
    I still to expend more time with the EPIC, but on the climbs it is impressive how superior it is. The rider position on saddle makes easier to apply power to the wheels, which is also valid for flat routes.

It is difficult to compare the bikes on descending because I was using a dropper post in the spark. Even so, both are very similar at this point, which is very good.

Those were my first impressions, so far I'm really enjoying the bike.

mtbr member
    Epic FS 2021 on-way?-20200729_065411.jpg

Managed to get the 38t

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hey ,

Can anyone Confirm that a 32 chainring is not possible with the new Epic (no Evo) ?
    That would kill any Chances to use it in the Alps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    According to the manual it accepts from 28 to 38T...

Enviado desde mi SM-N975F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member

Name:	20200729_065411.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	1352405

Managed to get the 38t
    Look so GOOOOD!

mtbr member
    Anything smaller than 32 will rub the protector but you could use a smaller ring in the larger cogs...

The old epic stated a 32 was as small as you could use. Depends on the offset and everything else

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Manual says 28-38 , so it should work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

2021 Epic S-Works build

Just finished my build today. 2021 Specialized S-Works Frameset. Took everything off of my 2019 Epic S-works and transferred it over to the new Frameset. Can't wait to get her on the trails!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic FS 2021 on-way?-image0.jpeg  

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-img_6188.jpg  

Epic FS 2021 on-way?-image1.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Specialized going to bring the comp version to USA?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Trying to decide on a large or medium. Making an order! Epic evo.

With saddle horizontal to top of steerer...

was is the distance from the tip of saddle to center of steerer tube on your large frame. I assume your saddle is stock and 11Ē long.

thanks.

mtbr member
    What's everyone think of the SRAM Universal Derailleur Hanger? It's raining like we are in south east Asia here... got to reading the Epic user manual and it seems like this hanger better not get any grease on it and if it gets loose your wheel will fall out of the drive side...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does anyone know max seatpost insertion for a small?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R View Post
    Does anyone know max seatpost insertion for a small?
    look at the frame only manual, itís there. has the max for all sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The old epic stated a 32 was as small as you could use. Depends on the offset and everything else
    The last generation of Epic F/S came with a 30T.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Last epic came with 32 not 30

mtbr member

I'm coming off an SB100 and a Ripley V4 play bike. All I'm gonna say for now is this thing is a rocket up and downhill. The SID suspension is light years ahead of Fox.
    Thoughts of the EVO vs the SB100?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    got my wheels back and bike built. 21lb 15oz with pedals.

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	1351715
    Any first impressions compared to your SB100?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Can anyone confirm if the 2021 Epic EVO size SMALL has two water bottle cages in the front triangle? If possible please post pictures of your size small.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mowmonster View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the 2021 Epic EVO size SMALL has two water bottle cages in the front triangle? If possible please post pictures of your size small.
    I can confirm that Size small epic evo can handle two water bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gapriderz View Post
    I can confirm that Size small epic evo can handle two water bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    every size except XS, just saw tgat on pinkbike youtube video

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    Last epic came with 32 not 30
    You're right, my bad. I found my original steel 32T. I'd forgot I dropped to a 30 two years ago before I put the 10-50 on the back end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234