Epic Evo is official

The epic evo is on specializedís site:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ep...=255230-155040

mtbr member
    Nov 2001

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Amazing. They put a 120mm fork on an Epic. Game changer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    How'd they manage a fox fork with SRAM drivetrain/brakes/shock? I thought SRAM made them go all or nothing for fork/shock/drivetrain/brakes. That's how the new Stumpjumpers seemed to shake out and I thought someone said was the case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    How'd they manage a fox fork with SRAM drivetrain/brakes/shock? I thought SRAM made them go all or nothing for fork/shock/drivetrain/brakes. That's how the new Stumpjumpers seemed to shake out and I thought someone said was the case.
    The new SJ Evo has full fox front and rear but has SRAM Code brakes and the NX Eagle drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Anyone seen any weight numbers around? If its coming in around 24lbs with the beefier rubber and dropper that's a pretty freaking compelling bike.

#notoverbiked
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Bet it's closer 25-26 w/ that build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So can you put a 2.4 to 2.6 tire on a 30id rim on this Evo Epic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    The Epic Evo has 25mm ID rims.

mtbr member
    The marketing video is very funny everyone needs to watch it

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    That was awesome and frankly I'm a little shocked S was so clever.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    That was awesome and frankly I'm a little shocked S was so clever.
    Got to admit that was funny...
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Not sure where you got that idea?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    That's 2 in a row for Specialized, the Stumpy video is a good one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNyUvYb7AM
    2020 Hightower V2 (soon)
    2019 Stumpjumper (stolen)
    2018 Hightower V1 (loaner)
    2017 Spark 120mm (sold)

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    I'd like to know this too, but I find it doubtful. I've had epic owners tell me that the stock 2.2 wheels barely fit and they'd not recommend the 2.35 Ikons on an i29 I've been using.

The front shouldn't be a problem with the 34 SC but the rear must already be crowded as is if it really is the same chassis as the standard epic.

As far as weight I am reading most rumors that it clocks in around 27lbs for the medium expert build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Bet it's closer 25-26 w/ that build.
    The pinkbike first ride said theirs was ~27lbs with XTR pedals on a size M, so you're pretty spot on that it's around 26lbs. I'm surprised it's that heavy actually, everyone was losing their mind at how heavy the SB100 is due to SI and the Epic Evo pretty much weighs the same. Both are beefier builds for 'XC' bikes but to Spec's credit the comparable weight/spec SB100 build is the $6999 Turq X01 eagle build whereas the Expert Evo build is a full $1200 cheaper @ 5800.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    I'd like to know this too, but I find it doubtful. I've had epic owners tell me that the stock 2.2 wheels barely fit and they'd not recommend the 2.35 Ikons on an i29 I've been using.

The front shouldn't be a problem with the 34 SC but the rear must already be crowded as is if it really is the same chassis as the standard epic.
    I saw a 2018 Epic in the Shimano tent at BCBR last week showing off the 2018 XTR stuff (which, by the way, looks and feels awesome--it should for the $$$) It was basically built out like an EVO, but lacking a dropper. They had a Vittoria tire in the 2.35 (a Brazo?) tire in the back- and clearence looked fine for me with my PNW eyes towards mud. No pictures, because the phone was charging and I was tired that day. I don't think a 2.5 would clear well, but at that point... but if that's what one is thinking, you're probably more of a Stumpy ST guy really.

The Epic EVO idea looks really attractive to me, espically since I could "EVO" a lower end model with parts I already have on hand. It'd be a much different bike then I have currently, but I had a 2013 Epic Carbon Comp that I eventually threw a dropper, Pike 120mm, and meater tires on. That bike was lots of fun uphill and downhill.
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 07-17-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    I donít understand how this bike adds 5+ lbs to the standard Epic.

Fork, tires, a small bit of rim weight, dropper. All told thatís 2-3lbs, total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Specialized video was cool, can't wait to demo one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I donít understand how this bike adds 5+ lbs to the standard Epic.

Fork, tires, a small bit of rim weight, dropper. All told thatís 2-3lbs, total.

my epic carbon comp was 25lbs off the showroom floor. I change a bunch parts and dropped the weight down 3lbs. Take that 25lbs and at 2 for fork/dropper/bars/tires and you get to 27.

Here is my detailed breakout on weights.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2...s-1073925.html
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Lets say that the 27lbs is fairly accurate for a Medium Expert Carbon frame with bottle cages and peddles. That's a expert carbon model with carbon wheels.

A large adds a bit of weight, tipping just into 28lbs.

Now, lets make that an alloy bike, with alloy wheels. Do you think that this Epic Evo Alloy will weigh under 27lbs? I highly doubt it (unless size medium/small). The Epic Comp Alloy weighs 27lbs in size large, add 2lbs to the weight and we're at 29lbs.

29lbs for an alloy 100mm/120mm XC/TR bike. Is that worth it?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

Formerly of Kent
    ^^^This is why Iíd buy frame only (carbon) and build a sub-$6k bike that was under 24lbs. With dropper, real tires, etc.

Death from Below.

If the Intense Sniper wasn't so flexy for bigger folks I'd be all over that.

That being said, I'll stick with more travel, more bigger tire clearance, and half the cost...and deal with 30lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    If the Intense Sniper wasn't so flexy for bigger folks I'd be all over that.
    what about the blur then. the TR version starts at 6.5k tho :/ I bought a base model and built mine up with a SC34 / dropper / old parts.

mtbr member
    Somebody needs to buy one any weigh it, then mod it and weigh it.

Wonder how this compares to a 19 ST SJ?

Little less burly, little less weight?

A lot of people have wanted something between a Camber and an Epic..

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    what about the blur then. the TR version starts at 6.5k tho :/ I bought a base model and built mine up with a SC34 / dropper / old parts.
    I don't get the Fox 34 'Elite' that they spec'd on the TR blur and some other bikes. Quite a bit heavier than a 32 for only 10mm more of travel. Only appeal there I see there is that it'd be stiffer for bigger riders, but if you're incurring the extra weight anyway why not get the full travel?

I'm still waiting for some real-world ride reports and weights on the new trail version of the Oiz before I make a decision on a bike in this category. Same idea but longer travel shock and generally better component spec choices for less money. Though the Roval wheels on the Epic would be nice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    well the 34 stepcast performance elite is significantly stiffer than a 32 stepcast performance elite for a 300g penalty.

that extra 10mm travel is $35 away with a change in air spring.

i'd assume the average american mtb trail rider loaded up for a 20 mile ride is 50lb heavier than a wc racer so that stiffness may be good

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Fair points and I agree with you on the stiffness for sure. I'm only 155 but based on the terrain I ride and the amount of water I carry for 4+ hour rides I have no interest in the 32 outside of pure racing.

Though it's obvious in retrospect, I didn't realize that the 34 SC 'performance' actually is 120mm fork as delivered from fox, but just with some mfg's limiting the travel by swapping the air spring. Guessing they just didn't want to alter the geo's that much on these bikes designed around a 100mm fork. All moot for the Evo since they left it at 120.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looking at this Evo, is there any difference than say, buying a 2018 Epic Carbon Comp (used, good price), changing the fork out for 120 34SC, adding a dropper, and shortening the stem myself? Meaning they didn't change the frame shock tune or anything on the frame itself? I would also lighten the cockpit a lot.

I read they did change the shock, but not sure if thats for all 2018/2019 Epics or just the Evo.

Theres a good bit more going with the Evo, including beefier wheels, wider bars, dropper, etc, but if you wanted a dual duty rig, you could slowly upgrade and swap between setups depending on terrain.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They advertise same shock tune for rear of all epics including evo. I suspect they did change the shock from 18 to 19 though given the problems with 18.
    That said, while an 18 is probably tempting I'd buy a new 19

mtbr member
    I doubt the changed the shock tune for 2019. The might have changed internals. My 2018 had a seal leak at 246miles. Fixed under warranty and it has been fine for the last 400 miles.

So yes you can take a non evo and just swap parts to make it an evo. Or you can buy an ultralight frame and evo it. It is just parts.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    my epic carbon comp was 25lbs off the showroom floor. I change a bunch parts and dropped the weight down 3lbs. Take that 25lbs and at 2 for fork/dropper/bars/tires and you get to 27.

Here is my detailed breakout on weights.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2...s-1073925.html
    I just picked up the epic pro. Put S-Works carbon bars, foam grips, and set it up tubless. It weighs 24.5 lbs. Going to put a carbon seatpost on it soon. How did you get it down to 22 lb.?
    2018 Specialized Epic Pro 29
    2016 Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 29 *SOLD*
    2015 Specialized Hardrock Disk 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Didn't see your link, cool. You went 1 x 11. I'm going to check my cassette, looks like you got some decent weight loss there.
    2018 Specialized Epic Pro 29
    2016 Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 29 *SOLD*
    2015 Specialized Hardrock Disk 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclism00 View Post
    Looking at this Evo, is there any difference than say, buying a 2018 Epic Carbon Comp (used, good price), changing the fork out for 120 34SC, adding a dropper, and shortening the stem myself? Meaning they didn't change the frame shock tune or anything on the frame itself? I would also lighten the cockpit a lot.
    That's what I'm doing but I bought the Comp Carbon new. I had extra dropper, wheels and Carbon bits laying around and I've got uses for most of the parts coming off the Comp .

Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    That's what I'm doing but I bought the Comp Carbon new. I had extra dropper, wheels and Carbon bits laying around and I've got uses for most of the parts coming off the Comp .
    This is what I'd do as well. Got wheels I love along with a fork and a dropper with more travel. It'd be tempting keep the 100mm fork around races and events that don't require 120 fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    This is what I'd do as well. Got wheels I love along with a fork and a dropper with more travel. It'd be tempting keep the 100mm fork around races and events that don't require 120 fork.
    The 100 is sufficient for all but the biggest drops. A 129 will beat you up less, but then I ride a 160mm fork most of the time ...on an Enduro

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep everyone at Rampage is running 100mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Yep everyone at Rampage is running 100mm.
    I don't know about that, but if you mostly focus on XC and ride a 100mm enough that you are used to the beating, you can accompany your buddies on most rides. If you are going to be hitting anything over 5 or 6 foot drops, a 100mm x 32mm is going to be scary AF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    There will be a difference in the handling with 100mm vs 120mm. I hate to loose of nice sharp cornering I get from my 100mm (44mm offset 32 SC) to replace with 120mm fork. I might add a dropper at some point, but probably not the fork..
    Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anyone buy one of these things or seen one in person yet? Is the rear triangle the same as the 2018 epic? If it is then that bigger tire and rim mist have absolutely minimal clearance. Was looking at the regular expert epic at lbs and it had i22 rims with 2.1 tires and there was not much clearance there already. I can't imagine a real beefy tire or high volume XC tire fitting. I ride i29 with 2.35 XC tires and they measure 2.4 across so if they don't fit then no point in considering this bike sadly.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.2 XR3 on the back of my epic. No issues. It is not an Evo. I doubt the changed the rear triangle for this model since it just a parts bin deal. They pretty much say it.

I do know that one of the specialized pro racers runs a 2.3 fast track on the back of his epic.
    Joe

Anyone buy one of these things or seen one in person yet? Is the rear triangle the same as the 2018 epic? If it is then that bigger tire and rim mist have absolutely minimal clearance. Was looking at the regular expert epic at lbs and it had i22 rims with 2.1 tires and there was not much clearance there already. I can't imagine a real beefy tire or high volume XC tire fitting. I ride i29 with 2.35 XC tires and they measure 2.4 across so if they don't fit then no point in considering this bike sadly.
    I posted earlier in the thread that I saw an Epic build with a Vittoria tire (sized 2.35) and clearence looked ok, however I didn't get a chance to ask or determine rim width. I know I had a 2013 and ran it with a 2.3 Ground Control in the back and it was great... But I'd say take your wheel into the LBS and ask to throw it in the Epic to see fitment. Should give you a solid answer... and share it with us too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have an Ikon 2.35 with an i27 wheel with no clearance issues on my 2018 Epic Comp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running a Vitoria Mescal 2.35 on a 30mm ID rim and it fits the back of my 2019 Epic FS Carbon fine. I would probably not run a wider tire if I anticipated mud.

The Mezcal in 2.35 casing is notoriously undersized, some people saying that it never gets anywhere near 2.3" in reality, even on wider wheels.

I think what people are asking is "can I run any tire outside of a 2.5WT or 2.6?" I think the answer is no. You can't run a Schwalbe 2.35 either as many of those tires run true to claimed width or bigger.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Has no one bought this bike yet? I want to hear how it rides!!

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Update:
    Picked mine up yesterday
    Me: I am 5-9 at 170lbs, shortish legs, longish torso and riding for a long time. I ride in North East with lots of roots and race Expert 10-12 times a year. I tend to ride agressive (moto background) and purchased this to ride XC fast but not tip toe...
    Size Medium
    It weighed 26.5 with Shimano XT pedals (swat tool removed) So I'd figure 25.75# no pedals or swat. (I plan to remove dropper to save a Net of at least .75lbs so bike should weigh around 25# plus pedals and that isn't bad for a 120 fork and real tires)
    Set up similar to previous bikes (Seat height, fore/aft etc) and a bit shorter reach with 70mm stem BUT I think the wider bars change that a bit. (my last bike was long too) Keep in mind a standard epic comes with (size medium) a 80mm stem. I'm a xc guy but ride agressive, my area is loaded with roots, and I prefer a 120 fork as I believe the benefits far out weigh any potential shortcomings unless you are riding on a jogging path. (My opinion)
    Overall the bike rides well, and the flex, noise and rattles simply didn'texist at all.
    My ride was limited after set up so it was a localpark with very gentle trails and grass. I ran the brain firmest and suspect I always will when racing and maybe medium for casual trail rides with friends. The fork performed better than expected and when locked it is very rigid and the bike climbed VERY well and Fast. The GX peformed fine for anyone normal but I'm just a Shimano guy (quality, double shift etc)and will likely change this to 11 speed XTR as I have zero use for a 50 tooth rear.
    Can you feel the brain clunk: Yes This is a bit softer than brains of past (the transition) but if this is a show stopper for you stop reading now. I have had two other S with brains and they were firm. Comparing epics; I had a 2011 Epic that rode terrible. OLD EPIC: I wasn't sure if the Ht I was going to break the fork off first or the stiff suspension my back would collapse but so far this evo epic feels much more friendly/compliant and not like old where the fork felt like it would tuck under you. If you hated the old epic this is very different but on/off brain is there (and fine from my perspective)

I know what it is like when shopping and realize some of the above is facts while other is opinion but hope you find it helpful. Yes I would suggest this as I'd probably call it an epic with trail manners (68.5 HT is good btw) and can be a daily rider but not quite a camber. If you never ever race, I'm not sure this is the best value but if you race some or a lot it seems like a good fit both in literal size and application. One last note, the wait may be long so be prepared and ordering one seems to be quicker than waiting for dealer inventory. Price is a bit higher than some but that is to be expected with "S" and the brain but my S experience and dealer experience has been positive.
    ....Good Luck
    Last edited by 17j; 08-07-2018 at 05:15 PM.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Update: Pulled dropper and bike weighs 25.5# exact with real scale. This includes water bottle holder (no swat) xt pedals set up tubeless. Change the cassette and should be just about 25lbs with pedals or 24.25 no pedals. Brakes work better than expected too

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    How heavy is the wheelset?
    I bet about 2 kilos?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quick Update
    Wheels are ~ 1950g, but I upgraded to new SL that are around 1400g so a pound dropped
    The Gx shifts better than expected but brakes are OK and howl when wet. I think overall I mentioned. I just like Shimano more.
    I think bike is ~ 24.5lbs with xt pedals now.
    I'll have it to 24lbs with pedals by winter and probably leave it.(and this is with a 120 fork)
    Its a good ride, handles well and ride is better than expected. The carbon wheels,(Stock or sl) are stiffer than expected. Good for power but definately takes some compliance away.

I originally thought I'd buy the comp carbon and slowly build the way I want (with 120 fork). Still not a bad idea if you layout the budget on the front side and are comfortable/honest with it. If not, buy the stock evo and ride it...Not the least expensive but all the big brands pricing is climbing fast. I am fortunate to have a good dealer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I thought that the Evo is the sweet spot trail/XC that is kinda missing on the market now. Epic climbs amazing, the 120mm Fox helps you getting less beat up on the descend. I Evo'ed my Comp and love it.

On a separate note, any one having Brain 2.0 issues? Mine is down for the first rebuild. Oil found it's way to the air can. I can't find anything on the web if more people are having that issue so early on the 2.0 version

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Picked up a Epic Evo in Alloy today (size XL) and will report with a quick review. Put Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35s all around for now and carbon wheels. Weight with carbon wheels is 28.5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mm21 View Post
    Picked up a Epic Evo in Alloy today (size XL) and will report with a quick review. Put Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35s all around for now and carbon wheels. Weight with carbon wheels is 28.5 pounds.
    This is not helping my ability to resist a new bike. #thanks Looking forward your review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So really impressed with this bike. To be fair I'm pretty new and only started really biking this Summer, starting with a Trek Stache 7, so take this with a grain of salt.

Test rode the SB100, SC Blur, Giant Anthem, and regular Epic. I was deciding between the Blur and Epic Evo (Evo wasn't out to demo) and wasn't sure given the Brain but my maiden voyage with the Epic Evo was a VERY technical race, and I learned to love it. I just can't see myself engaging the lockout on the Blur as often as the Epic changes. I know it MIGHT break in the future, but really I'll be onto my next bike by then.

Originally I planned to buy in the Spring but I was sold after seeing the Epic Evo in person. The Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35s fit easily in the rear, not sure you could go any bigger though. The front fork can fit my Stache 3.0 tire on it, I wouldn't do that, but for my next race on Sunday I'm putting a 2.6 on there.

It's not a "light" bike but I'm an XL frame and fluctuate by 5 pounds every week (easily) so the extra 2lbs isn't my biggest concern going from the carbon to alloy version I have.

For me, this bike slots perfect for a bigger guy (6'2", 197 lbs) that wants an XC bike but needs a bit more give and weight isn't a problem on the frame. Again, I'm newish but love the bike.

Edit: adding pictures. These wheels were from my Trek... friend said I may need to spray paint out Bontrager! Also added a Renthal carbon handlebar with matching grips, look great with the Specialized colors coordinating.

Epic Evo is official-20181003_115612.jpg

Rear Wheel with 2.35s
    Epic Evo is official-20181003_115628.jpg
    Last edited by mm21; 10-03-2018 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've been riding the epic evo for about 6 weeks now. Dream bike for me. I did put a carbon bar on (flat, but i think I'll pick up a riser bar in the spring to give me a little more control of the rear tire on the downhill), upgraded the wheels to the SC reserve (30mm) with an I9 hub. Also put on the guide rsc brakes. Coming off an AM bike with 150mm travel, this bike is a bit loose on the downhill if you don't get really far behind the seat but it smashes the climbs. Trail features with any sign of a transitions are great on this bike and only super choppy/rocky sections have a speed limit (i don't slow down, just gets a bit sketchy bouncing into corners). I coach a high school mtb xc team so i'm mostly on xc terrain and riding 4-5 days a week. With more xc courses getting techy and rough this bike hits the sweet spot but this is definitely still an xc rig. Also great for those days that you spend 6-8 hours in the saddle doing endurance races (p2p, leadville, etc). I don't know the weight and to be honest i don't really care to know the exact number. I will probably put an 01 drive train on in the spring when it's time for new parts. The gx has functioned perfect but i feel like this bike deserves a little better. This is my first bike with the "brain" and to be honest, i haven't even thought twice about it since i set the sag. FYI - i'm 5'11" and about 187 pounds, riding the large frame. I ride this like i stole it. No "taking it easy" because it's a short travel bike or thinking it can't handle the abuse. I never put it away dirty and so far she's been a dream! I'm thinking i'll put on a 2.35 ardent on the rear and 2.35 highroller 2 up front to see if i can get the high speed corners from breaking loose on me (more like my AM ride).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I put a SC34 Factory on my S-works earlier this year. So much better than before. The slacker HTA is nice, but I appreciate the stiffness most and the smooth Fox feel. I always swapped out my Brain forks for Terralogics in the past anyhow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Not sure if it counts, but I would like to share my 2 cents. I Evo'ed my '18 Epic Comp - swapped the Reba 100mm fork by a Fox 34 SC 120mm, shorter stem and 2.3 Ground Control tires. Just missing the wider bar (which I'm not sure yet if it's good thing) and the dropper post. Been out twice with the bike and I definetely like it a lot. Way more comfortable to light trail riding and less harsh on the body. The bike definetely feels more capable and the 100mm Micro brain shock feels like it's got more travel combined with the 120mm fork. I would say though that I lost a little of the razorblade-sharp handling. Just a little, but noticeable. Maybe because my new fork's got 51mm offset (couldn't find a 44mm 34 SC), but I did feel I needed a little more pressure on the front wheel on turns.

I ride in Michigan and the single tracks here are very XC-like IMO. Constant pedaling, some small climbs and short descents, so a good efficient bike is important. The epic Evo fits perfect in that category, handles roots and rocks nice (especially with the fox 34) and well, pedals just like a hard tail.

I do love this bike with the Evo upgrade even more, and would definetely keep it for a long time if the brain 2.0 proves it can be trusted and easily maintaned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fhm3rc View Post
    Not sure if it counts, but I would like to share my 2 cents. I Evo'ed my '18 Epic Comp - swapped the Reba 100mm fork by a Fox 34 SC 120mm, shorter stem and 2.3 Ground Control tires. Just missing the wider bar (which I'm not sure yet if it's good thing) and the dropper post. Been out twice with the bike and I definetely like it a lot. Way more comfortable to light trail riding and less harsh on the body. The bike definetely feels more capable and the 100mm Micro brain shock feels like it's got more travel combined with the 120mm fork. I would say though that I lost a little of the razorblade-sharp handling. Just a little, but noticeable. Maybe because my new fork's got 51mm offset (couldn't find a 44mm 34 SC), but I did feel I needed a little more pressure on the front wheel on turns.

I ride in Michigan and the single tracks here are very XC-like IMO. Constant pedaling, some small climbs and short descents, so a good efficient bike is important. The epic Evo fits perfect in that category, handles roots and rocks nice (especially with the fox 34) and well, pedals just like a hard tail.

I do love this bike with the Evo upgrade even more, and would definetely keep it for a long time if the brain 2.0 proves it can be trusted and easily maintaned.
    I've done wider carbon wheels, wider carbon bar, wider tires and a dropper on my non-Evo Epic Carbon Comp. Next up, the fork. I'm going with an MRP Ribbon which I can get in 120mm with a 41, 44 or 51mm offset. My older Enduro 29 is 42mm and even an old Sid Brain I have on a hardtail is 42mm. I guess 41 is my offset but I would love to hear some opinions first.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You can see my ride listing above with details...more updates coming soon.
    I was curious to see what everyones set up is...feel free to share
    I'm 5-9 at 170lbs
    Size medium evo with 80 stem
    bars cut to 730 (Thinking about 710 to speed up steering/improve in woods)
    Rear Shock (What I'm most curious about) I used auto sag but ended up runing 185psi for now with shock on setting 3 of 4 (4 being firm)
    Fork I run pretty plush at 68psi
    I ride a lot of roots, a lot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    You can see my ride listing above with details...more updates coming soon.
    I was curious to see what everyones set up is...feel free to share
    I'm 5-9 at 170lbs
    Size medium evo with 80 stem
    bars cut to 730 (Thinking about 710 to speed up steering/improve in woods)
    Rear Shock (What I'm most curious about) I used auto sag but ended up runing 185psi for now with shock on setting 3 of 4 (4 being firm)
    Fork I run pretty plush at 68psi
    I ride a lot of roots, a lot
    I'm a bit taller but also 170 lbs and ride a medium Epic Carbon Comp with non-evo 100mm Reba fork.

According to my shock pump, the Autosag function sets the shock to 170psi. My go to setting is 175 and i run the Brain 0, 1 or 2 clicks from open. If the trail is rough, I'll drop to the 170psi setting. Rebound is 3 clicks from open.

Up front, I'm running two tokens and 73psi. I change the compression damping setting from 0 to to 4 clicks from fully open. Rebound is 5 clicks from open.

I'm going to swap to a 120mm Ribbon fork just decide on what offset I want.

livin' the dream......
    Considering getting rid of my 2018 Fuse Comp Carbon, and going with Epic Evo. I think both bikes share some of the same things (68.5 hta, 120ml reba, SRAM Level brakes).

I like the Fuse, but feel a bit beat up on the HT lately, even with the 27.5+ 3.0 tires. I was strongly considering the Epic last year when shopping for a new bike. Honestly, if the Epic EVO was a thing, I would have gone with it over the Fuse.

Would love more rider feedback on the EVO. Help me decide
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Small tweak on EVO and am currently at 24lbs 4 oz with pedals (23.5 without pedals), no swat.

Next up,,,, new xtr 9100 or xo1....hmm decisions

Man if they made the Epic have the same clearance as the Fuse Im not sure theyd ever sell the hardtail. Heck even the ability to fit a 29x2.6 would be really unique. I swear manufactures limit tire sizes to prevent too much radness on XC frames. Although Im sure you can get plenty rad on Epic Evo with tougher 2.3 tires haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone put a 130mm fork on thier Epic and how was it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Genuine do-it-all?

I currently ride a 2017 Jeffsy and an older Trek hardtail, both 29ers. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new carbon hardtail until I discovered the Epic .. then I discovered the Epic Evo.

Iím wondering if the Epic Evo could be a replacement for both the above bikes? Iím around 100kg and used the hardtail for 30-40m xc rides with tons of climbing, I need the rigidity on the rear because Iím no lightweight and at 50 years old need all the help I can get. Conversely, the YT goes to trail centres for blue, red and black reasonably technical runs or fast single track.

Anyone else who isnít a pro or elite racer done something similar and still in love with the Brain on the climbs?

Cheers,
    tony

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I currently ride a 2017 Jeffsy and an older Trek hardtail, both 29ers. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new carbon hardtail until I discovered the Epic .. then I discovered the Epic Evo.

Iím wondering if the Epic Evo could be a replacement for both the above bikes? Iím around 100kg and used the hardtail for 30-40m xc rides with tons of climbing, I need the rigidity on the rear because Iím no lightweight and at 50 years old need all the help I can get. Conversely, the YT goes to trail centres for blue, red and black reasonably technical runs or fast single track.

Cheers,
    tony
    How about demoing some bikes? Like a Trek Stache, and a Scott Spark 900 with the same 120mm Fox 34 but room for 2.6 tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    How about demoing some bikes? Like a Trek Stache, and a Scott Spark 900 with the same 120mm Fox 34 but room for 2.6 tires.
    Itís the Brain 2.0 that appeals really which is proprietary, these days itís becoming harder to try bikes, especially with the retail trade dying due to massive online savings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post

Anyone else who isnít a pro or elite racer done something similar and still in love with the Brain on the climbs?

Cheers,
    tony
    Maybe. I had a hardtail and a 2014 Enduro 29. Bought a 2017 Stumpy thinking it would be a more trail friendly and fresher version of the Enduro. Liked the Enduro better so I sold the Stumpy and bought the regular Epic Carbon Comp for the in-town, less rocky trails. Evo-ed it out a bit with 30mm ID rims, bigger tires and dropper post but left the 100mm Reba on it. I love the Brain out back. It's a hardtail until you hit a bump. You have 5 levels of adjustment as to how much of a bump opens it up and you can also play with the sag/rebound to trick into staying open longer before reverting back to hard tail.

It took me a while to demo a few candidate 120 forks available in reduce offset and wound up finding them not worth the $1000+\- so I pulled the Pike of my Enduro and am in the process of dropping it to 120mm (and put a Fox Factory 36 on the Enduro ...like yesterday). Doing a 50+ mile race in two weeks on that and will report back.

My trails are mostly on limestone hills. You cruise along a bench cut with varying degrees of smoothness and then need to get up or down a rocky ledge or switchback to get to the next benchcut. What makes or breaks a bike here is the ability to maintain momentum in these rough transitions ...otherwise you will be constantly breaking and excellerating. Thus far, it's been the Reba that holds the Epic back. It beats me up in the rough ...so much so that it makes the back of the bike feel smooth.

Edit to add this. There are 2 races that I have done on both the Epic and the Enduro (which I'm assuming is somewhat similar to the Jeffsie). One was on a course such as described above ...strong need to maintain momentum in 100s of transitions and hardpack in between. I did much better on the Enduro. The other course is just rocks , rocks and more rocks and steeper up and down in general and there really isn't the some frequency of transitioning through rocks. I got second on both bikes which proves nothing other than, yes, the Epic could replace the Enduro for what is considered rough trail.

mtbr member
    The brain loves climbing. It climbs nearly as good as HT, but descends like a FS bike. I replaced my Reba with Fox32 SC. So light and works great. If I had just one bike then adding a dropper and possible 120 Fox34 SC and the bike would ride almost anything. It will never be as faster some bikes in nasty chunk with only 100mm in back, but you can still ride lots of things and with light weight and climbing support it will climb better than nearly everything with lots of travel.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi guys,

Not long ago bought a epic evo and had a few blasts on it. Iím quite new to the brain system. Can someone give ma a sort of idiots guide to brain 2.0.

So the damping unit right down at the rear wheel states fade- soft/firm. So basically do i set this to firm for climbing and soft for the downhill trail?

Also on the rear shock itself. Rebound- fast/slow. What do you guys have this set at?

Thanks
    Craig

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The setting youíre talking about dials in the firmness of the brain. Firm means it takes a larger hit to open the brain valve and allow the shock to work. Soft will take very little bump to get the suspension to move. Firm will behave more like a hard tail. Play around with it for a few rides and see what you like, even during the ride.

I tend to Ďset and forgetí, but it does allow you to change it for the trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    In case you have an extra 11,200 laying around

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...c-evo/p/154350

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Anyways the reason I came here is to ask.....I just sold my stumpjumper LT 29 and built a Stumpjumper Evo 29 so that's covered. And I'm looking to get an epic evo. Looking to use it as a trail bike / xc bike that I could show up to a race or 2. I do normally race enduro races here in New England. Basically looking for a bike to ride my local trails during the week.

Would I be better off getting the carbon evo (expert) and hating that the hubs are garbage.

Or.....getting the alloy evo and putting a set of roval control sl wheels on it with the 54t ratchet hub

Low engagement hubs drive mental.

And the fact that it is NX vs GX is not a big deal to me. Planning on going XT anyways

If there is something that I forgot and that would be a huge difference...Oh and planning on changing the damper in the reba to the charger 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeandShred View Post
    Anyways the reason I came here is to ask.....I just sold my stumpjumper LT 29 and built a Stumpjumper Evo 29 so that's covered. And I'm looking to get an epic evo. Looking to use it as a trail bike / xc bike that I could show up to a race or 2. I do normally race enduro races here in New England. Basically looking for a bike to ride my local trails during the week.

Would I be better off getting the carbon evo (expert) and hating that the hubs are garbage.

Or.....getting the alloy evo and putting a set of roval control sl wheels on it with the 54t ratchet hub

Low engagement hubs drive mental.

And the fact that it is NX vs GX is not a big deal to me. Planning on going XT anyways

If there is something that I forgot and that would be a huge difference...Oh and planning on changing the damper in the reba to the charger 2.
    If you are going to race then get carbon. I got an Epic carbon comp and swapped parts to make it the build I wanted. If you get an alloy frame you will ALWAYS have an alloy frame.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    In case you have an extra 11,200 laying around

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...c-evo/p/154350
    Pricey. But damn this bike is a looker.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi all,
    I'm about to get a normal epic and evo it (Australia has some good sales on at the moment for the normal epics)
    One question though about the forks - why does the evo comp have a 42mm offset fork and the Sworks and Expert both have 44mm offset?
    and would a normal rider really notice the difference?

Cheers
    Uppo

Goes to 11
    The Carbon models have the Fox 34 SC fork, while the Expert has the RS Reba.
    IMO you will probably feel the difference in stiffness and weight more than the 2mm offset.
    It is possible that the difference in offset was meant to compensate for different axle-to-crown length, thus keeping the same wheelbase..
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by uppo View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm about to get a normal epic and evo it (Australia has some good sales on at the moment for the normal epics)
    One question though about the forks - why does the evo comp have a 42mm offset fork and the Sworks and Expert both have 44mm offset?
    and would a normal rider really notice the difference?

Cheers
    I thnk it is a Fox / RS thing.

Fox's short 34mm chassis crown is 44mm while RS 32mm chassis short offset crown is 42mm.

The short offset 29er forks are nothing more than a 27.5 CSU with 29 lower legs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    If you are going to race then get carbon. I got an Epic carbon comp and swapped parts to make it the build I wanted. If you get an alloy frame you will ALWAYS have an alloy frame.
    What's wrong with an alloy frame? A lot of engineering still goes into alloy frames. The fancy shapes aren't just for looks. They are butted and hydroformed to give strength and compliance where it's needed just like they do with the layup of carbon.

Sure carbon might give you half a water bottle of saved weight but I bet you could put down the snickers and lose that off your body for a way less than the extra cost of carbon.

I say its always better to have a good alloy frame with good parts over a carbon frame with average parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanMurr123 View Post
    The short offset 29er forks are nothing more than a 27.5 CSU with 29 lower legs.
    Really? The length is the same between 29 and 27,5er CSUs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by larres View Post
    Really? The length is the same between 29 and 27,5er CSUs?
    Yeah its all in the bottom of the lowers. Easiest way to tell 29 from 27.5 is to look at the rebound knob. 27.5 sits on the bottom where as the 29 the casting goes past it and the rebound is kind of recessed into leg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Well, after a long injury compelled hiatus, I ventured into my bike shop kind of blind. No internet research, no crazy pining over a bike. I just woke up on friday wanting a new bike out of nowhere. So I wandered in thinking I would walk out with a 5010 or tall boy, maybe even a hardtail or something like that. My DH days are over but I still want to get dirty, but pedaling has become a bigger priority in my advancing age. I never really gave specialized much look when I did ride (keeping in mind if you are on this forum you're almost by default more experienced than me, so not like I have a good reason), but I decided to throw a leg over the epic comp evo. It was love at first sit. Coming off of a very aggressive and heavy DH bike, knowing my riding style changed I am so happy with the ride. I used the weekend to slowly start growing my riding balls again but I'm glad to be back in the saddle and this bike has made it a dream to get going again.
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mm21 View Post
    This is interesting. I had a '18 Epic that I evo'ed, but sold it on. Got a '19 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon XL - long travel. Fitted Traverse SL wheels, 2.6 grid tires tubeless with cushcore in the rear, carbon bars. GX casette. With Shimano trail pedals and SWAT tool/cage, it comes in at just under 30lbs...

The Epic wins acceleration and climbing hands down, but I really expected the Stumpy to be a lot heavier. Need to try it with 2.3 XC tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Funny you say that. I did that with my stumpy evo and I ended up buying the epic evo comp and am upgrading the parts as we speak

NedwannaB
    Contemplating an upgrade from my OG v1 Ripley. Currently setup xc, straight post, 120 SID, Ibis 928 c's, 2.1 Fast Trac tires etc. I could put a 34sc, 1* angleset and 2.3 tires and a dropper to spice things up a bit but given that expense I'd still be left with its egads 'old school' geo. Wondering if that would be better going towards a new modern rig. Carbon model doesnt look to be in the budget.

So wondering how going with the alloy version has worked out for any of you that went that route? Conversely what about going with a Stumpy ST and EVO'g it?
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-23-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ok so I had a LT 29 carbon comp stumpy and thought it was an awesome trail bike here in southern New Hampshire. Then sold the frame and built an alloy stumpy evo 29 and was still pretty impressed with the performance of it. I was going to buy a carbon ST stumpy 29 and changed my mind and got the Epic Evo Alloy, I have ridden it about 70 miles now and MAN ! I'm happy with my choice. It is such a great bike and everytime I ride it I am surprised by the capabilities of it.

So here's my list of stuff I changed
    -60mm stem
    - shimano m8000 brakes and drivetrain
    - tubeless (obviously)
    -power saddle (on all my bikes)
    - charger 2 damper cartridge

I am VERY happy with the bike and I am still impressed with the d'alusio smartweld, makes for a very stiff frame. I'm glad I went this route instead of the ST

I'd say the only thing that the stumpy had a leg up on the epic is is you ever planned on having 2 bikes in 1 you could change the fork shock and shock yolk and have an LT and an ST. Hopefully that was any bit helpful

NedwannaB
    Ok so I had a LT 29 carbon comp stumpy and thought it was an awesome trail bike here in southern New Hampshire. Then sold the frame and built an alloy stumpy evo 29 and was still pretty impressed with the performance of it. I was going to buy a carbon ST stumpy 29 and changed my mind and got the Epic Evo Alloy, I have ridden it about 70 miles now and MAN ! I'm happy with my choice. It is such a great bike and everytime I ride it I am surprised by the capabilities of it.

So here's my list of stuff I changed
    -60mm stem
    - shimano m8000 brakes and drivetrain
    - tubeless (obviously)
    -power saddle (on all my bikes)
    - charger 2 damper cartridge

I am VERY happy with the bike and I am still impressed with the d'alusio smartweld, makes for a very stiff frame. I'm glad I went this route instead of the ST

I'd say the only thing that the stumpy had a leg up on the epic is is you ever planned on having 2 bikes in 1 you could change the fork shock and shock yolk and have an LT and an ST. Hopefully that was any bit helpful
    Yes, very helpful. Thanks. Although not exactly same as what a st/lt stumpy could do, I did have a 140 fork and different wheel/tire setup that I could throw on the Ripley it was still just the same bike with abit more squish. I ended up getting a 5010 to cover the playtime riding and put the Ripley in xc trim for epic outings. Sold the 140 fork and wheels to help fund the 5010. After riding them both for awhile now cover the same trails, same overall ride characteristics I'm not sure I need 2 bikes. Thus my interest in a one do it all bike.

The more I think of it now wouldn't be gaining much EVO'ing a ST Stumpy vs an EVO Epic with the kind of riding I do.

And then theres those gal damn Ebikes out now....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    considering upgrade from Ripley...
    I've done what your planning.

Epic Carbon Comp (good specials in Oz). 120mm SC34 fork.

Coming off OG v1 ripley with 130mm 2014 Pike.

The new fork is amazing. The feel is different to the Pike, and the small bump compliance is amazing. I have the brain somewhere 2nd and 3rd click from the softest setting. Definitely firmer than ripley out the rear. Much stiffer overall (I also have carbon rims now, ripley had wide lightnings). The bike is definitely much higher and im considering lowering fork to 110mm and have ordered an offset bushing. Front centre is much longer and now running 60mm stem, but will probably settle on 70mm. Gone from Large ripley 90mm stem to Large Epic (im 178cm). Probably not as fast on the down, but super quick on the ups.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo2213 View Post
    I've done what your planning.

Epic Carbon Comp (good specials in Oz). 120mm SC34 fork.

Coming off OG v1 ripley with 130mm 2014 Pike.

The new fork is amazing. The feel is different to the Pike, and the small bump compliance is amazing. I have the brain somewhere 2nd and 3rd click from the softest setting. Definitely firmer than ripley out the rear. Much stiffer overall (I also have carbon rims now, ripley had wide lightnings). The bike is definitely much higher and im considering lowering fork to 110mm and have ordered an offset bushing. Front centre is much longer and now running 60mm stem, but will probably settle on 70mm. Gone from Large ripley 90mm stem to Large Epic (im 178cm). Probably not as fast on the down, but super quick on the ups.
    Sounds like nice setup. So did you Evo a regular Epic? The lbs near me has a NOS Expert Carbon WC for $2700 but it's the 95mm travel model not the current crop. Nice setup tho. Could do a fork switch, dropper and adjust cockpit I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. My Epic - stem size?

Epic Evo is official-epic-comp.jpg
    I have just ordered a medium 2018 Carbon Comp.
    Yes it is the womens version, but the shock is being swapped out for the standard version, instead of the womens tuned version. The other option was the mens full pink version - so thats why I got the womens model. The other lady parts will changed once I get it home.
    I am turning it into an evo, so will be swapping out the fork to a 120mm version.

The evo versions have 750mm bars and 70mm stems, the new standard epics have 750mm bars and 75mm stems.
    I currently ride a 2014 Camber with the 730 Thomson bars and 75mm stem.
    I am not sure to use a set of Carbon Easton Haven bars (740mm), or my Thomson carbon (730mm) bars. I think it will be the Easton 140mm.
    The stock stem is 80mm and bars 720mm

What size stems are people using? And are wider bars really better?

Thanks
    Uppo

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    On medium I am still up in the air 70 or 80. 70 probably better trail and 80 race, as small as it is. I am not a huge fan of wide bars as they stress my shoulder and neck more but I am the minority. I think 710 is about perfect. (700-720 depending on your size)

mtbr member
    Any indication what changes are in store for the 2020 Epic Evoís?

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No info other than speculation....I suspect BNG

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm on a medium epic evo comp and run 750mm bars and a 60mm stem and considering going to a 45mm stem. As I dont like the feel of the 42mm offset fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm on a medium epic evo comp and run 750mm bars and a 60mm stem and considering going to a 45mm stem. As I dont like the feel of the 42mm offset fork.
    I'll be using my 120mm, 51mm offset reba until I find the right fork with a 42mm offset.
    I probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway
    It's just a pity that rockshok have now made the reba in 80/100 or 120mm, otherwise I would convert the stock fork into 120mm.
    I have the A7 Reba and a two other previous models and they can do all three lengths.
    Unfortunately, none of my forks are 42mm offset.
    Uppo

mtbr member
    Why would you want a 42mm offset with the longer fork? Seems like that would require using the 27.5 crown unless SRAM is now selling that offset in a 29 fork. The 51mm maintains the trail number so the bike with the longer fork should handle similar to the stock fork. Playing with the numbers in geo calculator may help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    Why would you want a 42mm offset with the longer fork? Seems like that would require using the 27.5 crown unless SRAM is now selling that offset in a 29 fork. The 51mm maintains the trail number so the bike with the longer fork should handle similar to the stock fork. Playing with the numbers in geo calculator may help.

Because the Evos are specced with a 42mm offset Reba fork
    Uppo

mtbr member
    I know initially testers used 51mm pikes, and the ones I see around are still using a 51mm. The longer travel with higher offset makes sense if you want the handling to stay similar to the 100mm fork (queue geo calc). I've ridden some of the shorter offset forks in longer travel and they get a little floppy and feel like they are going to fold on tight turns; doesnt seem desirable on an XC bike (personal opinion). But if matching a spec sheet is what you are after then more power to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I know initially testers used 51mm pikes, and the ones I see around are still using a 51mm. The longer travel with higher offset makes sense if you want the handling to stay similar to the 100mm fork (queue geo calc). I've ridden some of the shorter offset forks in longer travel and they get a little floppy and feel like they are going to fold on tight turns; doesnt seem desirable on an XC bike (personal opinion). But if matching a spec sheet is what you are after then more power to you.

I'm not interested in matching a spreadsheet at all. Perhaps initially the testers used 51mm pikes because maybe they had them in the shop. Have you talked to people who have tried both 42mm and the 51mm forks on these particular bikes? If you have, i'd like to know more and how they handle with each fork fitted.
    Perhaps there is a good reason Specialized have a 42mm offset on these and the standard epics when most other 29" bikes are 51mm. I'm sure Specialized haven't just put 42mm offset forks to annoy people. They would have tested them fairly extensively with a variety of forks to get it right.

I don't have the time or money to test heaps of forks on bikes, and no offence to you, but I'm going to trust a major bike company, to spec a bike thats works as best that it possibly can, over a guy who I don't know.
    All I have at the moment is a 51mm 120mm fork and if it works ok, I will probably never know if it will be better or worse than the 42mm fork.
    Uppo

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i have a shorter offset fox 34sc on mine (added to a regular epic before the evo came out.

Love it. But I haven't tried it with a 51.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have bikes with 51 offset and 42. My opinion the 42 is much better. The steering curve seems more constant and predictable and I'd classify the 51 as more of a light switch once you cross a point. I also feel I can keep a 4 better planted. All my bikes are 68.5 or steeper head tubes though and I think that matters. I have run the same bike both ways and feel Very strong about this. The epic (even the std) gets good handling reviews and I firmly believe the offset helps a lot. That's my 4 cents My fat bike has a 51 Bluto and its damn near dangerous with that steep of HT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I personally like the quick steering. I have never ridden a 28er with anything other than a 51mm offset until the epic evo so I guess I dont know any better but....my stumpjumper evo with a 160mm fork in the low setting on the flip chip is sporting a 63į HTA so I think that having a 51 takes away that flop feeling. The 42 just makes it feel very foriegn to me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uppo View Post
    Perhaps there is a good reason Specialized have a 42mm offset on these and the standard epics when most other 29" bikes are 51mm. I'm sure Specialized haven't just put 42mm offset forks to annoy people. They would have tested them fairly extensively with a variety of forks to get it right.
    Specialized went with the 42mm offset on purpose with 2018 Epic redesign. They said it was achieve good handling when the HA was slackened. I don't know if believe all that story, but it does seem like 42 was a decision. 51 was standard and 44mm is available in 29er forks. Now why 42 and not the more common 44? I don't know could be because it was better or just screw with riders to force them into their fork. Now I removed the reba from my Epic and put in 44mm offset Fox 32 SC. I figured 2mm would not be different enough to feel and personally that is probably within the tolerance range on both forks. I never rode the bike with the 42mm reba so I can't say how it works different, but I feel like it is close enough. Many have stated however they can feel a difference between 44 and 51 however.
    Joe

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think 42/44 is Specialized marketing but believe a 51 on a 68 or steeper head tube is a twitchy/toggle switch steering. On my 51 I always feel like I am oversteer correcting but 42/44 seems very fluid but not slow. I think 51 came out when 29ers were long stem slow turning in development. With short stems, short chain stays the 51 band-aid can be removed...pull fast

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Very impressed so far with the 42 ! coming from a bike with 70HA and 51 offset Cornering is great !

mtbr member
    Specialized went with the 42mm offset on purpose with 2018 Epic redesign. They said it was achieve good handling when the HA was slackened. I don't know if believe all that story, but it does seem like 42 was a decision. 51 was standard and 44mm is available in 29er forks. Now why 42 and not the more common 44? I don't know could be because it was better or just screw with riders to force them into their fork. Now I removed the reba from my Epic and put in 44mm offset Fox 32 SC. I figured 2mm would not be different enough to feel and personally that is probably within the tolerance range on both forks. I never rode the bike with the 42mm reba so I can't say how it works different, but I feel like it is close enough. Many have stated however they can feel a difference between 44 and 51 however.
    In my earlier posts the point I was trying to make was based on keeping the steering response the same between the Epic and Epic EVO since the Epic was not designed around a 120mm fork. Therefore, by using a 51mm offset 120mm fork on the "EVO" you would get similar trail numbers and similar handling characteristics.

I have 29er bikes with different offset forks and find pluses and minuses to both, however, I do tend to prefer the longer offset for the most part on the trails I ride.

As to why the EVO was spec'd with a 42/44mm (SRAM/FOX) offsets could have come down to that was what was available in quantity from the supplier; we may never know unless the individual who spec'd the bike chimes in. In the end I think a lot of the revelation has come from marketing departments desire to separate us from our cash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You can research it and will find answers on why they went with a lower offset. You can also try it with both and make your own conclusion. So far I think the mix of that offset and the geo is surprisingly good. I was not expecting to feel a difference. Cornering feels more stable, your corner arc is more smoother (if I can explain it like that). The bike is as easy to lean into turns even if the trail number is higher. My previous bike came from a similar geo but 51 offset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have been able to source a 120mm fox 34 rhythm with 44mm offset to compare with my 120 Reba 51mm offset.
    The rhythm is 400g heavier, quite noticeable, when holding both forks.
    Now I need a crown race to enable quick swaps.
    Does anybody know what the specs for the crown race is on a 2018 epic carbon comp frame?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone able to confirm the weight of a Small Alloy Evo setup tubeless? Are these hoovering around 30lbs?